• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Grizzo

I think you can only play with three innit?

Yeah I'm sorry I was including myself in that number, haha

edit: okay so three it is, man I'm totally lost when it comes to the online mode of this game

I'll have to check it out! Ok, to meet up, we have to go to the Guild Office in Castele, I think. :eek:

I've opened the gates to my town, or maybe should I go to yours?

I hope you're not talking about the DLC because I haven't finished the main quest yet
:(

daydream

Banned
I've opened the gates to my town, or maybe should I go to yours?

I hope you're not talking about the DLC because I haven't finished the main quest yet
:(

I found your game but I can't join because you don't have the DLC. :(

I'm only lvl 31 btw so I'm not even close to doing the DLC but I bought it day 1 and you can't do multiplayer if one side has the DLC and the other side doesn't. :(

Such a dumb thing.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the writing in this game? I think it's incredibly bad, boring and unfunny. It really lowers my enjoyment of this otherwise good game.

Grizzo

I found your game but I can't join because you don't have the DLC. :(

I'm only lvl 31 btw so I'm not even close to doing the DLC but I bought it day 1 and you can't do multiplayer if one side has the DLC and the other side doesn't. :(

Such a dumb thing.

Alright wait right here I'm gonna get the DLC right now!

Am I the only one who doesn't like the writing in this game? I think it's incredibly bad, boring and unfunny. It really lowers my enjoyment of this otherwise good game.

No I'm with you on this one. The main quest bores me to death and most of the time I just find myself spamming the A button to make the countless walls of text go faster.

I can only speak from what I've seen, but it looks super charming to me.

Though it looks like the NA version might be getting a different translation, at least partially. I guess time will tell.

daydream

Banned

Hm, I think the story is pretty lackluster but I like the writing itself a lot. Super charming and genuinely funny sometimes. I'm also on board with all the puns, lol.

Nice! :3 The DLC is two blocks big so the download only takes a second.

I can only speak from what I've seen, but it looks super charming to me.

Though it looks like the NA version might be getting a different translation, at least partially. I guess time will tell.

I was commenting on the german translation, I can't say anything about other versions.

Grizzo

Hm, I think the story is pretty lackluster but I like the writing itself a lot. Super charming and genuinely funny sometimes. I'm also on board with all the puns, lol.

Nice! :3 The DLC is two blocks big so the download only takes a second.

Alright it's done!

I talked to the "multiplayer clerk" and chose "Visit", is that good?

Grizzo

Now you can get pet birds & dragons! And level up your allies with the Friendship System! :)

I need to see a list of all the things I unlocked with the DLC :D

I'm only at level 32 though

Have you tried switching it to UK English? The vids I've seen of that seem pretty well done.

I usually play all my games in English (Animal Crossing is so much better that way) but I chose to play Fantasy Life in french. Don't really know why, since it's so cheesy and boring. I'll give the English version a chance!

I need to see a list of all the things I unlocked with the DLC :D

I'm only at level 32 though
The stuff I listed is all available during the main quest, your level doesn't matter. Pet birds can be obtained in Castele, Port Puerto & Al Maajik, and pet dragons can be got in Levitania. Just speak to the pet vendors in each place. (As long as you have the appropriate Bliss Bonus unlocked.) The Friendship System is automatic. Now any allies and pets you bring with you will get stronger the more time you spend with them. There's also all the extra customization parts, but you'll have to wait until the endgame now to use those, since you've already made your character.

It's the other stuff, mostly all related to Origin Island and the new Life ranks that are endgame only.

Have you tried switching it to UK English? The vids I've seen of that seem pretty well done.

I might try it next time I play, hope it's better. Halfway through the game, I completely stopped reading any texts. I can't even remember when I was this let down by a game's writing before.

I might try it next time I play, hope it's better. Halfway through the game, I completely stopped reading any texts. I can't even remember when I was this let down by a game's writing before.
You should definitely switch it then. The impression I've gotten from all the UK English videos I've watched have been nothing but positive. If the German translation is so dry, I'd ditch it ASAP.

Would it be insane to buy a 3ds for this game? Is it worth it?
Depends what type of games you like, and what you're looking for in this game.

I can say though that the 3DS has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to great games, so I'd heartily recommend it to almost any gamer.

Well the 3DS has a pretty great catalogue of games so I think it's very unlikely you'll only be playing this game :p

I'm just trying to guage how good is this game? I plan on buying the new 3ds when it releases.

I'm curious and i dont mean to hijack the thread... But what you guys consider the top 5 3ds games.

I'm just trying to guage how good is this game? I plan on buying the new 3ds when it releases.

I'm curious and i dont mean to hijack the thread... But what you guys consider the top 5 3ds games.
You'd probably get a million different answers to that, as mentioned previously, there are a ton of great 3DS games.

If you like JRPGs that have lots of exploring, a cutesy laid-back vibe, and tons of content, then I'd say you'd enjoy this game.

daydream

Banned
The online just crashed on me

Daydreaming and I had just finished killing that huge monster in the lava cave :(((((

That was super weird. It didn't even start lagging before the disconnect. I wonder what happened. It kept my level and the fact that we finished the mission but of course I lost the bounty when I got teleported back to the Guild Office. :/

Grizzo

That was super weird. It didn't even start lagging before the disconnect. I wonder what happened. It kept my level and the fact that we finished the mission but of course I lost the bounty when I got teleported back to the Guild Office. :/

I should have grabbed the experience gem! I was wondering if maybe you wanted to get it so I didn't take it :(((

daydream

Banned
I should have grabbed the experience gem! I was wondering if maybe you wanted to get it so I didn't take it :(((

I think all the EXP gems, items, etc. that are dropped are *not shared*. I grabbed an EXP gem that the Wraith dropped right after he died so that one was all yours. Thanks, though! :p <3

And anyway, I just restarted because I didn't want to beat the wraith and not have the bounty to show for it, otherwise I wouldn't have the motiviation to beat it again, haha.

I still wonder what happened. Damn 3DS and its flaky online.

Linius

I was wondering about that. How does loot and other stuff work in MP? You have to share everything?

Let's say we kill the nap dragon for that Paladin quest. Can only one of us claim the bounty then?

Grizzo

I think all the EXP gems, items, etc. that are dropped are *not shared*. I grabbed an EXP gem that the Wraith dropped right after he died so that one was all yours. Thanks, though! :p <3

And anyway, I just restarted because I didn't want to beat the wraith and not have the bounty to show for it, otherwise I wouldn't have the motiviation to beat it again, haha.

I still wonder what happened. Damn 3DS and its flaky online.

Do you want me to comeback? Maybe we could fight something else (something just as tough, because that was really fun :D)

I was wondering about that. How does loot and other stuff work in MP? You have to share everything?

Let's say we kill the nap dragon for that Paladin quest. Can only one of us claim the bounty then?
Dosh & EXP is shared (as in, everyone gets the same amount), but bounties are not. Only one person can claim it.

daydream

Banned

I think bounties might be the only thing that is shared? I dunno. Did you see me take that one bounty, Grizzo? I dropped it in a different place so that it was safe and we could retrieve it while making our way back.

Dosh & EXP is shared, bounties are not.

@.@

Only one person can claim it.

Oh ok, we're referring to the same thing then. Yeah, only one bounty. But what if you bring it back?

Do you want me to comeback? Maybe we could fight something else (something just as tough, because that was really fun :D)

Yeah, it WAS fun! Maybe you want to host this time?

Grizzo

I think bounties might be the only thing that is shared? I dunno. Did you see me take that one bounty, Grizzo? I dropped it in a different place so that it was safe and we could retrieve it while making our way back.

Yeah, it WAS fun! Maybe you want to host this time?

Alright my place is open!

And yeah I saw you dragging that bounty so I guess Hours is right it's a shared prize! (so we would have to kill all the monsters twice in order to fulfill each of our quests)

tHNUFsP.jpg

Downhome

I'm in the process of expanding my wife's love of video games by using the 3DS. I started with Nintendogs, then Animal Crossing, then I got her Disney Magical World which she is still playing and loves, but she is almost done with it. I want to see if I can build her up to Zelda.

She saw a commercial for this one on TV the other day and pointed it out to me, saying she thought it looked cool. Could this be the next game in her progression? What do you guys think? Could this be yet another winner for her knowing what we are doing?

Chaos17

What did you expect ?
Personally, I found it adorable stupid.
Just don't abuse it and it should be allright, lol.

She saw a commercial for this one on TV the other day and pointed it out to me, saying she thought it looked cool. Could this be the next game in her progression? What do you guys think? Could this be yet another winner for her knowing what we are doing?
That's already a good point that she got attracted to it.
Imo, the game is not obscur and allow beginners to make mistakes.
Everything is explained, she won't feel lost.

Though, it's not a simulation game like the ones she played, it's close to Zelda since it's an a-rpg/monster hunter/offline mmorpg like.

I'm in the process of expanding my wife's love of video games by using the 3DS. I started with Nintendogs, then Animal Crossing, then I got her Disney Magical World which she is still playing and loves, but she is almost done with it. I want to see if I can build her up to Zelda.

I think it would be great for her. Now, please know ahead of time that there's a common misnomer that this is similar to Animal Crossing, when it's really not. This is by all accounts a true JRPG, but it does have a very cutesy atmosphere, some light decorating/house owning elements, and talking animals, which I think any AC fan would love. The game overall has a very laid-back vibe too.

The fact that she likes Disney Magical World is great also, because I think that's a good bridge between Animal Crossing and Fantasy Life. (DMW has quests and some light combat IIRC.)

I say give it a shot. I think it would be an excellent choice.

Chopper

So, this mining mission. The one where I need to extract the Dragon Scab from Mt Snowpeak. Apparently it's an "Adept" challenge. Yet I'm an Expert miner and can't even dent it. What gives?

So this game seems awesome... Are there any cons to this game?

Also is there any word on the NA release date for the new 3ds?
Uh, cons? Let's see...

-Cliche & short story
-Only one crafting mini-game
-Some quests are repetitive
-Weird DLC compatibility (Which is not a fault of the game itself, but just how NoE/NoA decided to implement it.)
-Some clunky interface/design issues
-Very limited ally control

That's all I can think of. There are improvements that could be made, for certain, but it's still an amazing game as is.

As for the New 3DS in the US, it's still "TBA 2015".

So, this mining mission. The one where I need to extract the Dragon Scab from Mt Snowpeak. Apparently it's an "Adept" challenge. Yet I'm an Expert miner and can't even dent it. What gives?
Time to upgrade your gear?

Hedge

Well cons, for me, are limited to the rather menu-jumping heavy crafting system and the subpar first half of the story. The writing gets better in the second half, and is absolutely charming in the DLC.
Crafting can be a pain when you need many specific parts from specific shops, and you need to do a lot of menu jumping when you want to rank up your crafting lives (between rank challenges and actual recipes). Which makes you forget half of it when you finally get to the crafting of said items. Lots of clicking.

Also the limited dye capabilites. ;)

But it's not enough to outweigh the joy of the rest of the content, I think.

Chaos17

The 3 mains "flaws" of this game for me are :
1) The limited co-op but it's still fun and i didn't encountered any lags.
2) The lack of depth of the world because after you finish the story they're nothing to feed you while subquests could've done the job.
3) The lack of ultimate badass dunjeon that any mmorpg player may expereienced with the ulitmate boss to beat like in rpg. I never though I will say this but where is my cliché bad boss ? So I'm still hungry for more in this game.

But what about the lack of difficulty that reviewers complained about ?
It depend of 3 factors.

1) Did the reviewer played only the story ?
If yes, that's normal. The story kinda wipe most of the ennemies on "high level" maps so player could advance.
For example, like in the snowy mountain, to my suprise the tyrex wasn't there during the story

2) Did the reviewer overleveled ?
It happened to me but the mobs started to damage me more than usual from the desert and continued. Still they were not deadly like in a Dark Soul game, I could survive and fight my way. Until DLC where mobs smahed me hard. Still if you level up to much, that's normal to roll over your foe.

3) Did the reviewer used NPC ?
I'm saying this because a lot of low level players abuse NPCS to fight for them and let them die XXXXX times while they should just comeback a bit later after leveling up.. Then come on forums to say "Look I cleaned the game, it was too easy, lol". I'm not saying, using NPC is wrong, no. It's the abuse that I don't like and then coming to brag about low difficulty is what I dislike the most.

From this I can say that the game should offer difficulty option like in Etrian Odyssey 4 for hardcore gamers.
So the difficulty of this game depend how you play it in general but you shouldn't encounter any real difficulties until end game of base game and DLC.

Chopper

Time to upgrade your gear?
Well, yeah. Presumably. But I guess I'll need to try put a new life for that, yeah?

I've just saved at 22 hours, Level 31, Expert Angler, Miner and Woodcutter. Gonna try some...carpenting? I dunno. I want a stronger pickaxe, but also want to be able to kill some big motherfuckers. I guess I need Paladin for that? So much to do in this game! Oh, and I've only just reached Al Maajik!

Well, yeah. Presumably. But I guess I'll need to try put a new life for that, yeah?

I've just saved at 22 hours, Level 31, Expert Angler, Miner and Woodcutter. Gonna try some...carpenting? I dunno. I want a stronger pickaxe, but also want to be able to kill some big motherfuckers. I guess I need Paladin for that? So much to do in this game! Oh, and I've only just reached Al Maajik!
Blacksmiths makes pickaxes I believe.

Grizzo

So I've just been playing with Daydreaming for like four hours straight!

We went everywhere we could on the map and defeated every huge monsters or wraith we were able to. That was reaaaally fun, we fulfilled a lot of quests plus we leveled up a lot (I gained 6 levels).

I hope we can find a third player to join us next time!

Haha that's okay because I was planning on getting it at some point or another, but damn this multiplayer "restriction" is not cool.

daydream

Banned
Yup, that was awesome. I think we gained seven levels, actually, since we started out at lvl30/31 respectively and ended up at 37/38. We killed pretty much every wraith available to us (aside from the vanilla Elderwood one which only appears at night and when you have another player over, day/night gets locked in depending on the time you go online) and some other foul creatures. We had our fair share of nope.gif moments, too, haha.

But yeah, it was really, really fun, like Grizzo said! I moved closer to my router and we had zero connection problems. No lag of any kind.

So yeah, if we could do this with 3 guys next week that'd be even better! :D Thanks again for the great time, Grizzo!

Chaos17

Any combat class is fine to take down bosses.
Paladin has a shield that really help to take less damage if you don't like avoiding.
Mage has big AoE but consume a lot of SP.
Mercenary do a lot of damage but take also a lot of damage
Hunter is like a mage but without the SP problem.

Since you've angler, you've the statuts points to start cooking.
I don't suggest to do cooking+alchemy since both of them do kinda the same thing in the late game.

Miner and woodutter stat points is the same for paladin or mercenary (Strength).

Blacksmith let you make tools for most of the classes like the pickaxe for miner and it will let you craft armors+weapons for palain or merenary or archer/multi class
Carpenter let make tools too for fishing and woodcutting + the weapons for mage and bowman.

Though, most the cities do sell what you need to advance in the game so people aren't forced to do every job. Just don't forget to unlock the merchant+.

Robin64

So some passwords that work for German players...

Engelschor
Kürbislaterne
Abrakadabra

Wonder if we can figure out their English equivalents.

Edit: Heehee.

zlCfzSj583wEjIiKQi

So how far after doing the Flutter desert quests and then finding the
Goddess' ship
do you get to Levitania?
Also is that the final area?
Not sure whether to go now (as I can't do any more life quests until I get there) or just start a new life.
Still have 6 I haven't started yet :)

Getting into the shadow realm thing in Cacto Cove would be good right now too but I'm guessing that's post-game...?

Top Bottom