• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Mario Kart 8 has different EU/US localisation too and works fine.
True but those games had little translation in comparison to Fantasy Life, I was thinking more in lines of whether they have a system in place like ACNL where players with differing languages playing together will be fine.

Then again we've had players here who has played with one and other whilst using French/German/English together so hopefully we're fine.

Chaos17

Boy, I came here because a friend mentioned the game in person last night and I had yet to give it any thought. Pictures look great but they sure seem to be doing DLC in all the wrong ways. Day 1 additional paid content that slices the community in half in every way? Shit.

Someone tell me it's not as bad as it sounds.

Not really because as you can see on that topic what bring people together is to share what we like about this game.
Also the limited co-op do not really encourage people to play together but it's still fun to do it!
Though I'm glad that there is no co-op content only like in Monster hunter or Destiny.

I forgot to say that the content of the DLC worth it, it's not just a 2 hours content for 15$.
It's 10$ for 40h+ hour of content.

Grizzo

Do it really slice communities ?
Not really because as you can see on that topic what bring people together is to share what we like about this game.
Also the limited co-op do not really encourage people to play together but it's still fun to do it! Though I'm glad that there is no co-op content only like in Monster hunter or Destiny.

I think the co-op is great in this game. Simple, yes, but efficient and really fun.

daydream

Banned
I dunno, when you connect to another friend it shows you their version number (1.0.0 or 1.0.1, I think, at the moment; the latter indicating that you bought the DLC) but not the region or anything. And the version number is a differentiating factor.

I think if the region were an issue it would display that information, as well. That's just seems like basic UI design at that point.

Hopefully Level-5 is in the process of making a sequel, it was successful in Japan so... but with how long it took them to make the game =/

But they've got everything set up from this game so they shouldn't take longer, would everyone want a new world or back to an expanded Reveria if a sequel is made?

Chaos17

Hopefully Level-5 is in the process of making a sequel, it was successful in Japan so... but with how long it took them to make the game =/

But they've got everything set up from this game so they shouldn't take longer, would everyone want a new world or back to an expanded Reveria if a sequel is made?

A new world but connected to
Divinus garden/Lunares
, hehe.

All 43 codes are out, in every language. Enjoy! Or not, depending on your preference. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17nOOiQbqwBbODo8QbJumXIxqjB5LozBAUfnxkmgErS4/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks!

daydream

Banned

An expanded Reveria would be fine but they would have to have a substantial amount of new classes to go with it, I'd say.

If it was an all new world, I wouldn't mind if some classes returned.

Robin64

Well a lot of classes got cut, so maybe they at least got partway with designing them and stuff and could still use them.

Oxx

I imagine Level 5 is throwing everything they have at Yokai Watch at the moment.

I wonder if they could turn Fantasy Life into a bigger success with more of a focus on characters and story (with a tv show and toys etc).

Chaos17

I imagine Level 5 is throwing everything they have at Yokai Watch at the moment.

I wonder if they could turn Fantasy Life into a bigger success with more of a focus on characters and story (with a tv show and toys etc).

My wallet is not ready for Fantasy Life Amibo xD

daydream

Banned
Well a lot of classes got cut, so maybe they at least got partway with designing them and stuff and could still use them.

Sure but keep in mind, there's probably a reason why they didn't follow through with them. The cut jobs elude me at the moment but you could look at the four combat classes, for example. Now try to come up with four different ones that have the same archetypal substance to them. You could probably come up with four more, maybe five or six but you can't do this ad infinitum.

The way the game is structured dictates that there have to be NPCs in the world that represent your class (so it can't be too outlandish), and on top of that - with two thirds of the jobs, at least - they have to factor into some sort of line of production. You could obviously create jobs like 'hairdresser' or 'dolphin breeder' but they would be disconnected from the rest of the jobs and thus, the rest of the world.

That said, maybe a completely new world with a different setting, new story and slightly different jobs would be enough. Not to mention all the mechanical refinements that could be made.

As a sidenote, I just had this idea of a Fantasy Life management game in the style of Sim City and FF CC: My Life as a King.
iOS only, of course.

Just hit 50 hours.

Paladin - Master
Merc - Adept
Hunter - Adept
Magi - Adept
Miner - Master
Woodcutter - Master
Fisher - Expert
Cook - Adept
Smith - Master
Carpenter - Master
Tailor - Expert
Alchemist - Expert

Dash LV15, Sneak LV15

Currently story wise I just helped Olivia out and can use her as a party member. Not continuing further until I get all lives to Master level, as enough of the game is now open to do so.

This game is an incredible timesink

Robin64

By the way, of the jobs that got cut...

Merchant
Scholar
Postman
Fortune Teller
Street Entertainer
Pilot
Farmer
Treasure Hunter

I'd really love to see what their plans for Postman, Street Entertainer and Fortune Teller might have been. They seem so out there compared to what the game has now, like, they don't really fit the trinity of jobs.

I've spent way more time with this game than with Smash Bros.

Who would have thought that?

Can't get enough of it!

Smash what? I've barely played that...

Are the password rewards just clothes for customization, or actual armors? I'm worried they might be a bit too overpowered.

Merchant
Scholar
Postman
Fortune Teller
Street Entertainer
Pilot
Farmer
Treasure Hunter

I'd really love to see what their plans for Postman, Street Entertainer and Fortune Teller might have been. They seem so out there compared to what the game has now, like, they don't really fit the trinity of jobs.
How do you know this?

daydream

Banned
Are the password rewards just clothes for customization, or actual armors? I'm worried they might be a bit too overpowered.

They have stats, there's no slot for pure customisation/appearance. The sailor outfit was better than what I had (which wasn't particularly good since I hadn't crafted or bought any armor prior that) so make of that what you will.

Merchant
Scholar
Postman
Fortune Teller
Street Entertainer
Pilot
Farmer
Treasure Hunter

Smash what? I've barely played that...

I wanna be a farmer :( farming in games is so nice and relaxing.

daydream

Banned
I wanna be a farmer :( farming in games is so nice and relaxing.

Well, I can definitely see why they cut farmer. Harvest Moon and Rune Factory have got that covered pretty well.

Honestly, the only job I can see fitting in is Merchant. The rest sound great but they wouldn't jive with the rest.

Well, I can definitely see why they cut farmer. Harvest Moon and Rune Factory have got that covered pretty well.

Honestly, the only job I can see fitting in is Merchant. The rest sound great but they wouldn't jive with the rest.

Yeah I agree. Generally farming either is the main focus or is pretty different from the rest of the game, it wouldn't fit very well.
but I still want it.

I was coming to post the password list, but y'all had me beat. I don't know if I'll be able to restrain myself for entering them all right off the bat. :eek:

As for the cut jobs, I expect all of them and more in Fantasy Life 2. O_O

Kater

Banned
I've spent way more time with this game than with Smash Bros.

Who would have thought that?

Can't get enough of it!
Spent over 50 hours already in the game. The Main Story is mostly really bad but I like the Life system so much that I can't put it down. I'm hoping for a sequel with a bit of a different story, this felt more like a "cram every cliche JRPG trope in this game". And the loading screens for the cutscenes, just why? But enough moaning and back to the game. 😁

Blair

Banned
28 hours in, lvl40 with 3 jobs mastered. Loved mining/woodcutting, as an former WoW player who had the auction house ore game on lock this game is reviving old passions lol.

Chaos17

Oh yeah, just make it like Recettear and I will throw my money at the screen!
You combine that with the farmer life like in Harvest Moon and no need anymore to go in dungeon, haha.

Edit : those damn mustard, I will never hunt them again!

28 hours in, lvl40 with 3 jobs mastered. Loved mining/woodcutting, as an former WoW player who had the auction house ore game on lock this game is reviving old passions lol.
I know the feeling~

Chaos17

I was coming to post the password list, but y'all had me beat. I don't know if I'll be able to restrain myself for entering them all right off the bat. :eek:

That kinda a good thing to do because they don't seem to be for end game or high level.
I'm not sure, I didn't tested all. I just read some guys on gamefaq...

That kinda a good thing to do because they don't seem to be for end game or high level.
I'm not sure, I didn't tested all. I just read some guys on gamefaq...
I just don't know if I want to wait for them to be "officially" released or not. I think I'll do them in batches.

Grizzo

Spent over 50 hours already in the game. The Main Story is mostly really bad but I like the Life system so much that I can't put it down. I'm hoping for a sequel with a bit of a different story, this felt more like a "cram every cliche JRPG trope in this game". And the loading screens for the cutscenes, just why? But enough moaning and back to the game. 😁

I've been complaining a lot about the story in this tread, I feel like it's dragging the game down. It's gotten to the point where I don't even read the text anymore (and I still understand the story by reading some key words that come back often), I'm just mindlessly spamming the B button. But the rest is so great that I can easily look past it!

As for the loading screens... Well, they are tedious but no different than in, say, Animal Crossing. We have to put with it but it's alright :D

Follow-up question:

To what extent are the DLC features cosmetic and to what extent are they gameplay-altering?

I imagine that the additional character creation elements are all cosmetic. But what about the new pets (dragons/birds)? Do they change the core gameplay in any way? And how about the houses? And the friendship system?

Follow-up question:

To what extent are the DLC features cosmetic and to what extent are they gameplay-altering?

I imagine that the additional character creation elements are all cosmetic. But what about the new pets (dragons/birds)? Do they change the core gameplay in any way? And how about the houses? And the friendship system?

The extra houses (3 of them) let you warp to areas quicker and give you more places to display your furniture.

I've been told the friendship system makes your allies use their special moves more often. It's hard to tell, but I think my allies got more aggressive as their friendship went up.

The DLC is recommended if you're playing the game for the long haul. The main draw, IMO is the extra postgame area (Origin Island) plus the extra Life rank (God) and equipment, which extends an already long game.

Chaos17

I've been complaining a lot about the story in this tread, I feel like it's dragging the game down. It's gotten to the point where I don't even read the text anymore (and I still understand the story by reading some key words that come back often), I'm just mindlessly spamming the B button. But the rest is so great that I can easily look past it!

As for the loading screens... Well, they are tedious but no different than in, say, Animal Crossing. We have to put with it but it's alright :D

The conversations are just too long for me. Show some restraint.

I suggest you to stay away from Divinity Original and Legend of Heroes serie then.
Because they're more wordy than this game, lol.

Maiar_m

So if you can't co-op the main story...do you just do co-op to run around and fight monsters or what exactly?

Fighting monsters (especially huge ones) as a team is beneficial to the game because it enables you to gather ingredients for your crafting lives. The game isn't about stories / quests etc...as much as it is about doing what you feel like to doing. I'm 65hours in, lvl 53, I haven't finished the story and don't plan to for a good while. I only ever to it to extend the areas available on the map.

Chaos17

You can do everything co-op in the game except for the main scenario quests right? Are there any other restrictions?

Things you can't do in co-op :

- use quick map teleport
- talk to NPC quest so be sure to take quest before going online
- you can't change job
- you can't advance in the story
- you can't use the hairstyler
- use mounts

Good thing about co-op :
- exp is shared but need to be close or on same map (not sure)
- each player has his own loot so no need to fight over loot. Only bounties are unique and up to 3 for all the party.
- Bounties reward multiply with the number of players, so if you're 3, you will get x3 the bounty reward.
- You get more exp if all players kill the same mob.
- Quests about hunting X monsters count for all players that have the quest.
- Can only trade through a chest at the guild
- Visit host house.

pIdbgQu.png

Top Bottom