• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just wanted to say great OT again and hope everyone enjoys the game. Really is a special title. By far gave me what Animal Crossing couldnt.

Chopper

Blacksmith has great synergy with both Merc and Paladin, I actually started out as Blacksmith and picked up both Miner and Merc afterwards. High quality gear is only available from crafting and has a pretty significant boost over vendor/found gear, even at low levels.

Yeah, it spawns on the left-most fishing spot. Took me quite a few runs before it actually appeared, you need to go back and sleep each time.
Thanks.

I really feel as though only now, 31 hours in, I'm really getting into the swing of things. Obviously, I have quite alot of the world opened up now, so there are more resources available to me, but working out how each Life compliments the other and finding ways to capitalise is the best part of the game for me.

Edit: In comparison, I've barely touched Smash, which is amazing.

Thanks.

I really feel as though only now, 31 hours in, I'm really getting into the swing of things. Obviously, I have quite alot of the world opened up now, so there are more resources available to me, but working out how each Life compliments the other and finding ways to capitalise is the best part of the game for me.

Edit: In comparison, I've barely touched Smash, which is amazing.

I'm currently 82~ hours in with 6/12 lives at God, yet I still can't stop playing. I don't know if you already have it, but the DLC is really worth the buy if you're enjoying yourself.

Kater

Banned
I can't wear my Fashionista Dress when I go out slaying Wraiths as a Wizard. Well, that's a real shame. 😒

Just wanted to say great OT again and hope everyone enjoys the game. Really is a special title. By far gave me what Animal Crossing couldnt.
I wish Fantasy Life had as much story as Animal Crossing had*. That would have been great. 😜

as in, non at all

On a different note entirely, has anyone managed to defeat the Lord of the Cursed in the Drysand Desert with a melee class? I had no problems beating some of the other Special Request bosses but this guy just one-shots me with every attack as a Mercenary.

Maiar_m

On a different note entirely, has anyone managed to defeat the Lord of the Cursed in the Drysand Desert with a melee class? I had no problems beating some of the other Special Request bosses but this guy just one-shots me with every attack as a Mercenary.

I did yesterday...with two NPC allies and a lvl 57 Expert Merc, great armor, a great sword and great patience. I was however destroyed by the Gigante in the Ruins. Thoroughly.

Kater

Banned
I feel so bad for Jude (Mercenary). He just told me, after I got to the Expert rank, that he still can't even beat a Radishy. 😢

Which is untrue, as he has beat a Wraith together with me before. What a liar. :D

Yup, but with fatalities every 10 seconds,

It *only* takes off 3/4 of my health...

Also, eff those god materials. I'm a freaking God Blacksmith and I can't choose my special properties. Why oh why did I skip over Strength +6 for armour thinking I'd get something better...

What do you mean?

Which part?

When you're a God, you can add God materials that add a totally random effect to your crafted items.

Like for torso armour, the best I got was Strength +6. After that, I got stuff like Strength +2, Vitality +4 and Dexterity +6 (some of which are good, but not what I'm looking for).

Same with weapons, I get Attack +10 sometimes, but the worst is Attack +5 and the best is Attack +15 (never seen this).

I just don't get why we can't choose, like when you add Criticaline or the Tool Upgrade Stone+. Although TBH I never used those, so dunno if they're random too.

...And don't get me started on the Goddess wishing fountains. Why do I need 4 Sky Turtle Saddles when you only need 1 and they're not even items you can trade or anything...

Grizzo

I can't wear my Fashionista Dress when I go out slaying Wraiths as a Wizard. Well, that's a real shame. 😒

I wish Fantasy Life had as much story as Animal Crossing had*. That would have been great. 😜

as in, non at all

Now you know that's not true, Animal Crossing does have a story! You become by mistake the mayor of a town you were just supposed to visit and then... all sorts of wacky shenanigans happen.

...well that's not really a story, but that's still better than Fantasy Life's!

Mekere

100 hours in, god Mercenary, one quest short to be a god miner, angler and cook, hero Alchemist, master blacksmith and tailor, I haven't touched the hunter, paladin, woodcutter, carpenter, magician job yet.

I think you can say there is enough content for the price :p

Is it me or is the tailor job a bit of a pain? I'm well into the master rank but all my skills are <10 while I'm trying to do at least once every craft. The others job seemed easier to me.

Kater

Banned
Now you know that's not true, Animal Crossing does have a story! You become by mistake the mayor of a town you were just supposed to visit and then... all sorts of wacky shenanigans happen.

...well that's not really a story, but that's still better than Fantasy Life's!
What we now need is a game that has the rich, varied gameplay of Fantasy Life, no online restrictions and either a bit more original story or no real story (Or an optional story that gets told through sidequests).

Anyway, I mastered Woodcutter and Magician and started the Carpenter Life now. I was pleasently surprised that Taylor didn't ask who I am, same for Forrest. That would have been weird. &#128554;

Is it me or is the tailor job a bit of a pain? I'm well into the master rank but all my skills are <10 while I'm trying to do at least once every craft. The others job seemed easier to me.
It's my favourite out of all the crafting Lifes though. You can make all your clothing yourself and sell it for a bajillion Dish.

My Sewing Skill is 12 at the moment, need to up it to 15 for some stars asap. I want to beat Chic, that cheeky little brat. &#128526;

gerudoman

Any chances of DLC being on sale? Off the top of my head I remember the Mii Plaza games discounted, but I don't really think they can be considered DLC and I can't think of other cases...

Grizzo

Does anybody know where I can buy better pickaxes?

There are so many rocks that I still can't seem to do any damage too.

Also, I can't get an amethyst no matter how many times I mine a Superior Marine Ore Deposit... I know they're supposed to be moderately rare (3 stars), but it's getting frustrating :(

Linius

I found that playing the game as Paladin/Woodcutter/Miner/Blacksmith/Carpenter/Angler mainly really worked for me. Also made some clothing on the side when I felt like it. Never bought weapon or tool upgrades, made everything for myself.

Also, I can't get an amethyst no matter how many times I mine a Superior Marine Ore Deposit... I know they're supposed to be moderately rare (3 stars), but it's getting frustrating :(

Honestly, the best way to get better pickaxes is by picking up Blacksmithing, the buyable selection is pretty limited.

Mekere

Have you tried boosting your luck?

TheMoon

Any chances of DLC being on sale? Off the top of my head I remember the Mii Plaza games discounted, but I don't really think they can be considered DLC and I can't think of other cases...

0.00%

And you're misremembering. They were never discounted. There was/is a a "buy all, get one free" deal.

What we now need is a game that has the rich, varied gameplay of Fantasy Life, no online restrictions and either a bit more original story or no real story (Or an optional story that gets told through sidequests).

Someone else mentioned runescape earlier, and I think that's a pretty good example for how quests in a game like this could
should
be done. Runescape's quests are self contained little adventures that are sometimes -- but not always -- connected to other quests. They can be trivial (helping a cook make a cake) to very involved (helping to uncover a plot to start a war). But the thing that really lends itself to games like this is that they require certain skill levels, and serve to give purpose to content you might otherwise ignore.

daydream

Banned
I'm inclined to defend the story a bit if you guys continue to pile up on it. :p

While the plot is not the least bit special, I think the writing (or, rather, the English translation) is oozing charm and the characters, even then inessential ones, are likeable and colourful. I wouldn't dream of skipping any text or tutorial. No question that the actual story could be better and that the story progression could be handled more seamlessly but I think it would be way worse if it was the other way around (unique story but inane writing/dialogue).

Like I said, story progression is an issue. Question is, can the open-ended and liberal nature of the gameplay be maintained when a narrative thread is injected right into the heart of it, or would it be better to keep them separated. To answer that question will be one of the main challenges for Level-5 if they decided to do a sequel.

Mekere

I see... well it looks like I'm gonna have to do just that... It's a shame because I was really having fun as a miner!

Yes it's already at 18 but... still no luck (no pun intended)

I'm gonna boost it even more

I boosted my luck because of fishing, I was around 30 I think and never had any problems to find some "rare" stuff. Even the golden swordfish appears one out to 3 or 4 times!

Chopper

Does it make any difference where you sell your stuff? Having played with blacksmithing and carpenting for a little while, I'm sitting on a load of shit I don't need, but don't want to miss out on potential profits by selling to the wrong person.

I know in the tutorials it tells you to sell [e.g. fish] at the corresponding shop. Does it really make a difference?

TheMoon

Does it make any difference where you sell your stuff? Having played with blacksmithing and carpenting for a little while, I'm sitting on a load of shit I don't need, but don't want to miss out on potential profits by selling to the wrong person.

I know in the tutorials it tells you to sell [e.g. fish] at the corresponding shop. Does it really make a difference?

Couldn't you just sell two of the same thing at different vendors and find out?

Hedge

Does anyone know of a list of
where to get the items for Pam's Requests? I know a few of them, but sometimes I'll get stuff like "Divine Pod" and.. not sure where to start. I can't find it on Origin Island.

Chopper

Couldn't you just sell two of the same thing at different vendors and find out?
I could if I had my 3DS on me. I was just wondering if there was a definitive answer.

Also, that wouldn't tell me if there are particular NPCs in particular spots on the map that pay a particularly high price for particular products, which I fear might be the case.

TheMoon

I could if I had my 3DS on me. I was just wondering if there was a definitive answer.

Also, that wouldn't tell me if there are particular NPCs in particular spots on the map that pay a particularly high price for particular products, which I fear might be the case.

Was there a game that did that? That sounds vaguely familiar. I remember being pissed about a game doing that. Radiant Historia? Bravely Default? Neither?

Linius

For some reason I've been going to the general store a lot to sell my shit. It's close to the workplace for smithing and carpenting, that's prolly why. Never bothered to see if I might sell for higher prices at another shop.

Does anyone know of a list of
where to get the items for Pam's Requests? I know a few of them, but sometimes I'll get stuff like "Divine Pod" and.. not sure where to start. I can't find it on Origin Island.

I just Google and hope someone on GameFAQs can save the time.

Divine Pods are from Tribal Tykes in the Forest Shrine, I believe.

Oxx

I haven't sold much of anything yet. And I'm still short of some stuff to even do some of the basic blacksmith recipes.

Had a really fun multiplayer session with Chaos17, which I recorded.

We made even the toughest bosses look like noobs.

teamunite.png

Here's part 1: the Trial of Time

(Also after watching the video, I realised I forgot to share the Berserk Stone+ I cashed in. If you need them, give me a shout!)

Kater

Banned
Was there a game that did that? That sounds vaguely familiar. I remember being pissed about a game doing that. Radiant Historia? Bravely Default? Neither?
A whole bunch of WRPGs do that. Not so sure about JRPGs.

Haven't checked if the vendors in this game do it though.

Chaos17

Had a really fun multiplayer session with Chaos17, which I recorded.

We made even the toughest bosses look like noobs.

teamunite.png

Here's part 1: the Trial of Time

(Also after watching the video, I realised I forgot to share the Berserk Stone+ I cashed in. If you need them, give me a shout!)

Yeah, we were a bit overpowered for them but the archer god boss was a nice surprise.
If the dev boost it, it could be a killer. Its moves were so cool.

It's ok for Berserker stone+, you can keep them.

Top Bottom