• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

tuffy

I'm in:
Jid5d0W.jpg
I do feel a light Monster Hunter influence with the dual HP/SP gauges, foraging the countryside for things to collect and clobbering monsters for parts with a 2 button combat interface that makes use of a lot of charged attacks.

Haven't tackled much of anything from the main story, but I've gotten to apprentice level in everything but the cooking job and things are going smoothly. Spent most of my bliss rewards on bag updates since those seemed like a no-brainer, but I also put one into grabbing a pet for a second party member for a bit of extra support. So far so good!

suzu

Enjoying the game so far.

When can I invite NPCs into a party? I only have my pet dog which I use as monster bait. lol

So i've been playing this since the evening of launch day. I started out as a miner, but my dagger was depressing me, so i jumped into Paladin to get some sword skill, it didn't take too long for me to decide i wasn't going to be running around with a tranee's weapon and proceeded to smith until I was rocking full top quality iron. I'm sitting now around level 28, smithing like a madman. I've gotten expert mining, Paladin and smithing right now, and cooking's gotten going, but now i feel i can't go back until i've got my clamshell pan ready to go.

Story wise i just got
my house in town 2
so i'm working gold now that it's finally available, and fast travel is a bit better.

I'm curious, i have a ton of trouble crafting hammers. My gold hammer was a HUGE, HUGE hassle to get even a good done. I've got like 25 luck, 27 base vit and 24 base Str. My metalworking is level 8 and my smithing around level 10. The hold down A portion of the craft giving me nice's and black successes is really, really bugging me, since i'm not aware you can actually fail those portions other than by stopping mid way. Anyone have any tips? I crafted myself a full set of black leather for the Str bonuses and i'm using a silver shield for th VIT bonus, if that's any help.

Chaos17

Lately, I've been focusing my time on villagers quests that I ditched for a long time, lol.
I got a new piece of furniture that I can't craft.

zlCfzSlo60EIr_tLdE

I think, I've done 100+ quests just in Castel town, I wonder if there is an end, lol.

Enjoying the game so far.

When can I invite NPCs into a party? I only have my pet dog which I use as monster bait. lol

LoL, poor thing XD

You've 2 type of NPC you can recruit :
1) story NPC
2) job NPC (depending of your rank and job)

You can check this list to see at what rank you will be able to recruit them : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/971712-fantasy-life/70273599

Anyone have any tips? I crafted myself a full set of black leather for the Str bonuses and i'm using a silver shield for th VIT bonus, if that's any help.
When you've trouble with a gathering or crafting job is probably because of one of those factors :
- your tool
- you stats
- your skill level

Switching to the right job for the right task also help.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Where does it spawn anyways? I've never seen it, not even as the other classes that need to go there.

It's pretty much as far down as you can go, and there's a plank you can stand on. You have to kill the lava golem to get down there each time.

Kind of hit a dead end with wizard. Too weak to finish any of the requests i need to level up from adept. Guess it's time to craft for a bit. Kind of a bummer though.

BooJoh

My current hunting/questing gear. Knowing NOA they won't officially release the Halloween passwords until the 31st so screw that. My current sword is a Great Quality Silver Claymore augmented with +5 Attack.

FIlL8oJ.jpg

This is my crafting set. Full Artisan gear plus Angler Goggles to boost my Focus. I was ignoring int/foc/dex for a while but I still get a decent amount of quality crafts. It's mainly the quality hammer quests that usually take me two tries, I don't know if it's my low Focus or just the fact that I'm making it with the previous tier hammer the first try.

qFSIioY.jpg

What would people generally like to get out of a StreetPass? Right now I have an Elixir as my gift but I'm thinking maybe an augment stone or some other rare mat would be more appreciated.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm hooked. Which is ridiculous, because it's not like I have room for another 100+ hour game in my life besides Smash and Halo: MCC. I like how laid back everything is. It's a game that will reward players that min/max and pay attention to overlapping goals and efficiencies, but you can also just ignore all that and go do some fishing and be totally fine, too.

First game I've felt compelled to 100% in a while, but I'm still only ~7 hours in, so we'll see how I feel after another 20+

Damn, this game is rough. Constant text box assault. Ready to call it quits at level 2 of my first job.

Beginning is like that, yeah. It gets better.

What would people generally like to get out of a StreetPass? Right now I have an Elixir as my gift but I'm thinking maybe an augment stone or some other rare mat would be more appreciated.

People were happy to get a divine-quality Crescent Blade from me. Best non-DLC weapon you can, plus it sells for 39K.

Items sound fun too, as you can send stacks. Don't send one Elixir, send 10 or whatever the max is : )

zigg

Am I going to be able to quick-switch Lives at some point, i.e. in the field? Or will I even need to? Right now I'm fretting about quests that require me to be a certain Life even if I could technically execute them from a different Life.

Kater

Banned
Had a really great time with daydreaming and Grizzo in a multiplayer session this evening, thought I'd share some screenshots. (And I hope it's okay with you two, daydreaming and Grizzo)

CHU0rrK.jpg

fh9TtJm.jpg

4v1FkLy.jpg

v7kZXlS.jpg

xpZ8CoZ.jpg

JZ1KJNp.jpg

TcqVwvK.jpg

ymZ3fqE.jpg

DRHNwxP.jpg

3Fr1bO7.jpg

9OFZwQ9.jpg

Regenbogen, away!

Fuck me, that was an epic session.
It really was something. Thanks for the great time!

hope you didn't forget to save haha ;)

that was awesome

that Ancient Tower is something else... we'll need to come back even stronger and wreak havoc all around us!

"fu¢k"
We will! I'll get a stronger shield OR I'll come back as Mercenary. And you and dd need a better bow and a better staff.

Niraj

Am I going to be able to quick-switch Lives at some point, i.e. in the field? Or will I even need to? Right now I'm fretting about quests that require me to be a certain Life even if I could technically execute them from a different Life.

One nice thing is that for the ones that require you to turn in a bounty as a specific class, you can just take the bounty to the guild office and change to whatever class you need to before you turn it in.

daydream

Banned
I came across the weirdest bug with Gato. I'll have to post the screens tomorrow. His character model was basically tilted and it looked like he was really close to falling over at all times, haha. Happened after we rested at an Inn.

Awesome screens, Gato. I'll post mine soon.

Chaos17

How many chapters are in this game? I just got to chapter 5 and want to know how far I am.
I think you've 1 chapter left for the base game.

Damn, this game is rough. Constant text box assault. Ready to call it quits at level 2 of my first job.
Please, bear with it because that will be the only time the game will ever cover the basics of the game.
And it won't repeat it ever again and hold your hold your hand beside in story mode to show you where to go.

Same for the jobs tutorials, that introduce some npcs.
You won't have anymore cut-scene with them after the tutorial.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just trying to tell you that what you're going through will stop and it won't happen again.

I think you've 1 chapter left for the base game.

Please, bear with it because that will be the only time the game will ever cover the basics of the game.
And it won't repeat it ever again and hold your hold beside in story mode to show you where to go.

Same for the jobs tutorials, that introduce some npcs.
You won't have anymore cut-scene with them after the tutorial.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just trying to tell you that what you're goig through will stop and won't happen again.

Problem is each time I try to return to it, it's still constant text. Not even a situation where you read a little, then get to play for awhile and get a break from it. Everything I've done is rewarded with tutorial torture. I eventually enjoyed Pushmo with similar tutorial sins, so I'll try a little more suffering.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So, is this game kinda like Animal Crossing with combat? I still don't get it from what I've read...

Not exactly, its more like a simple action rpg that also has a lot of other things you can do with your free time from the various jobs you can switch between.

But like animal crossing there is a house you can decorate to some extent.

Though there is no planting trees and whatnots sorta deal or random npcs moving into your town.

Kater

Banned
So, is this game kinda like Animal Crossing with combat? I still don't get it from what I've read...
It's like Monster Hunter (lite) got mixed with Animal Crossing (lite) and the result spiced with some tasty longwinded tutorials and boooooooooooooooring story. The main story is probably only around 3 hours long if you skim through the text. And this is a first for me but I actually recommend skimming through it. Don't read through it patiently like I did, it's not worth the time.

sammy

The game is pretty fun, I got past all the dialogue and just grinding is fun while exploring. It's not so much like animal crossing, more like a seamless overworld with houses to live in and decorate. But there is a lot to explore which is fun.

I only wish it was more accessible to get online with the game so people didn't have to just trade codes over the internet.

Niraj

I've taken to thinking of this as what Dragon Quest 9 was originally going to be: a light action RPG with crafting elements (which were there, though these are better actualized). Am I the only one?

sammy

I've taken to thinking of this as what Dragon Quest 9 was originally going to be: a light action RPG with crafting elements (which were there, though these are better actualized). Am I the only one?

I'm getting a big DQ9 vibe, but with more of a 2d Zelda overworld. The light action and overworld are the best part so far.

I was just thinking today that this game has major DQ vibes.

Chaos17

Problem is each time I try to return to it, it's still constant text. Not even a situation where you read a little, then get to play for awhile and get a break from it. Everything I've done is rewarded with tutorial torture. I eventually enjoyed Pushmo with similar tutorial sins, so I'll try a little more suffering.

Just did the intro (on my loli reroll) until you're free (meaning after you slept the first day and no Butterfly quests aren't required to do right away the second day).

Prologue - 21 mins
First job tutorial quest - 20 mins
Total time (with dialogs+running around) - 57 mins

So after like 1 hour, you're free to do what you want and no I didn't skipped anything. I read all the dialogs and the tutorials (again).
Of course Butterfly quests are important since they teach you basics tutorials but you can go do what you want before doing them.

106_s.jpg

Zing

Banned
I don't find the text in this game to be that overwhelming. Maybe it's just your mood? I had a similar problem with Animal Crossing at first. I felt it was painfully wordy. I quit and came back to it months later and it is fine now.

akileese

I started playing this and thought oh, this is kind of fun but I'm not sure I'll be playing it forever. All of the sudden I had been playing for 4 hours.

BooJoh

A couple questions aimed more toward the more seasoned players here.

So far I've got every job started except Hunter, Mage, and Paladin, so basically I'm a Merc with all non-combat jobs. I know I could probably seamlessly switch to Paladin and not be held back much in terms of combat because of how my stats are distributed.

For reference:

qFSIioY.jpg

My question is: if I start Hunter or Mage, will I find myself overpowered because of gear, underpowered because of low stats and less-frequent level-ups, or will the bow/wand skill levels give me a smooth learning experience?

To expand on that, would I be better off just using my other 2 save slots to make separate Hunter and Mage characters when I decide to do those, and if so, is there any way (I'm guessing not) without another player's help to transfer items from one of my save files to another?

tldr; - when is the best time to branch out into other combat jobs and should it be done on the same save file or is it more fun to just make alts?

Zing

Banned
That is what I am doing. I am going to use another save slot for my Mage/Hunter/Alchemist.

This is getting ridiculous, in a good way. I started out wanting to be a Paladin. I'll be a blacksmith to make my own armor! Hmm, I should mine my own materials, so I'll also become a miner. Apparently, weapons and armor require wood so I'll just switch to woodcutter. Wait a moment, raw wood is useless for crafting and it needs to be made into beams. I guess I can add Carpenter to the list.

A convenient factor is that all of these jobs focus on strength and vitality, so they should work well together. I think that's my limit, though. If I need other materials to make stuff, I'll just buy them!

Although, I am tempted to cook my own food.

At this rate, I'll be level 6 before I even set foot out of the first town.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That is what I am doing. I am going to use another save slot for my Mage/Hunter/Alchemist.

This is getting ridiculous, in a good way. I started out wanting to be a Paladin. I'll be a blacksmith to make my own armor! Hmm, I should mine my own materials, so I'll also become a miner. Apparently, weapons and armor require wood so I'll just switch to woodcutter. Wait a moment, raw wood is useless for crafting and it needs to be made into beams. I guess I can add Carpenter to the list.

A convenient factor is that all of these jobs focus on strength and vitality, so they should work well together. I think that's my limit, though. If I need other materials to make stuff, I'll just buy them!

if you want to cook your own food you'll also need fishing, but you already have carpentry and blacksmithing to make the fishing rods and pans you'll need for that.

The only job that's even semi skippable early on is tailor...but they make the good shit armor for those classes that can't use mail!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

Just do what I'm doing and work on every single life! :D

In all seriousness though - at least take Angler, because then you'll have all 3 gathering skills and will be able to get all the resources from every zone in the game.

Chaos17

My question is: if I start Hunter or Mage, will I find myself overpowered because of gear, underpowered because of low stats and less-frequent level-ups, or will the bow/wand skill levels give me a smooth learning experience?

To expand on that, would I be better off just using my other 2 save slots to make separate Hunter and Mage characters when I decide to do those, and if so, is there any way (I'm guessing not) without another player's help to transfer items from one of my save files to another?

tldr; - when is the best time to branch out into other combat jobs and should it be done on the same save file or is it more fun to just make alts?

1. This game is mostly gears/tool check, so if you're low in a stat or a skill be sure to have the latest of them you can have to compensate for it.

2. Don't fear to do a rainbow build if you want to try everything, you've like 500 points stats to allocate with the DLC and you will be able to reset at some point of the game your stat. So you've plenty of points to do some experimentations.

3. From a personal experience, I'm only rerolling for roleplay and curioisity on my loli alchemist (ex:can a none combat class survive the DLC ?). Also, the feeling is not the same when you begin a new class at high level because your stats/base level/armors will compensate your low level skills or weapon. Yes, you can conclude that you're overpowered when you begin a new combat class (well that's just the case for me, I don't know about others).

4. I don't think there is a right time to begin a new combat class. I only did them to unlock the masters because they're the best npc to take with you in the DLC tower. So it's more a personal choice than anything else.

sammy

I can't believe how much dialogue there is to just go knock out 3 bandits :]

The writing is actually nice, but you don't feel too bad when you're in the mood to skip it. There's plenty of content here.

The friend code thing isn't bothering me once I got an NPC, and I had no idea about the pets. Pretty rad to get a party going so quick.

This is actually a really fun game, but what I wouldn't give for more Animal Crossing elements. Imagine a castle and characters like Radiata Stories, but dungeons popping up on holidays. Or planting things to solve puzzles after they grow. Seeing the kingdom in seasons, stuff like that.

Why can't the friend list move people who are actually on to the top so I'm not scrolling every time I want to message someone? >.>

Busted out the mophie tonight because I have a red light and I just started chapter two. That bitch can charge when I'm in bed, dammit!

Also... wtb bounty companion so I can just turn them into him/her instead of running that shit back.

Niraj

Why can't the friend list move people who are actually on to the top so I'm not scrolling every time I want to message someone? >.>

Busted out the mophie tonight because I have a red light and I just started chapter two. That bitch can charge when I'm in bed, dammit!

Also... wtb bounty companion so I can just turn them into him/her instead of running that shit back.

Yeah, I added everyone on my friends list just because I wasn't sure who had this and who didn't. That was a fucking mistake.

watershed

Banned
The amount of sleep I've lost staying up playing this is bordering on unhealthy. This game is incredibly addicting. O_O

Yeah me too. This game has been more addicting than Animal Crossing or Tomodachi Life or any of the other sim/ life rpg games on the 3ds.

I feel like the developers struck the perfect mix of charm, rpg grinding, freedom, and a sprinkle of narrative. There's always something fun to do, and if one Life gets boring I can just switch to something new.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A sequel to this with farming/shop keeping, maybe a few more combat quests would end me.

It's pretty amazing that you can become an expert hunter without ever going to the second town. So far its the only class I've been able to do that with. If you can get past the gate keeper monster on the snowy mountain there's a ton of hunter only quest mobs behind it that will easily push you past into expert.

Everything else seemingly needs me to get the next level of resources. Need new wood especially.

Chaos17

I suggest you to make your life easier by buying your personal mount (bliss bonus) XD
Yup, you can carry you bounties while on a mount and so they're protected while you're moving faster.

A sequel to this with farming/shop keeping, maybe a few more combat quests would end me.
I wish too that the merchant life would have not been cut out and that I could've my own shop like in Recettear, haha.

Top Bottom