• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
A sequel to this with farming/shop keeping, maybe a few more combat quests would end me.

It's pretty amazing that you can become an expert hunter without ever going to the second town. So far its the only class I've been able to do that with. If you can get past the gate keeper monster on the snowy mountain there's a ton of hunter only quest mobs behind it that will easily push you past into expert.

Everything else seemingly needs me to get the next level of resources. Need new wood especially.

That and actual village building dear god. But yes most def farming is one thing I had really wanted.

Chopper

The Hero Paladin outfit is even better than the Woodcutter's. I now have a good reason to be wearing a cape!

zlCfzSlo5e4z2LkCXH

I keep switching classes constantly to fish or mine, then I realized i didn't have to change to them. Can I turn them in if I'm not that life class? Should I be changing back into these crafting classes for any reason?

Chopper

I keep switching classes constantly to fish or mine, then I realized i didn't have to change to them. Can I turn them in if I'm not that life class? Should I be changing back into these crafting classes for any reason?
You can't cash in your life missions unless you are that life. You can still undertake them though. that includes the bounty quests, but you CAN switch life whilst carrying bounties, which is handy.

tuffy

The stat bonuses for being in that life may be handy when trying to harvest or craft something difficult. But I've been sticking to the hunter class when out exploring and using the quick jumps from the map icon to quickly switch lives and warp to the person to turn in reports to for everything else.

The Angler Hero set is... I don't know if it's stupid or awesome. I'm a bit miffed at the fact that it's only 4 pieces instead of 5. Can't the king afford some specially-made pants for his top fisherman?

Zing

Banned
Just do what I'm doing and work on every single life! :D
I decided to cut back and focus on just a few. As mentioned, it quickly snowballs into taking every life to build upon each other. I like to roleplay. I actually remade my character after four hours of play to design him and rename him to a more fitting look for his lives. I don't plan on buying the DLC.

So my Paladin is now just going to be a Miner, Blacksmith, Paladin, and Cook. I'll have to buy wood and fish but so be it. If I am still playing this game when I finish this character, I'll create a Hunter/Angler/Woodcutter/Carpenter. I am giving my daughter the game at some point, and I plan on being a Wizard/Alchemist with her.

You can't cash in your life missions unless you are that life. You can still undertake them though. that includes the bounty quests, but you CAN switch life whilst carrying bounties, which is handy.

The stat bonuses for being in that life may be handy when trying to harvest or craft something difficult. But I've been sticking to the hunter class when out exploring and using the quick jumps from the map icon to quickly switch lives and warp to the person to turn in reports to for everything else.

Thx!! Been having a blast with the game. I have tried all the classes so far and I have put the most time into mercenary and hunter. I really like how I can go out battle monsters and collect all kinds of material then head back to town and spend a ton of time crafting new stuff out of the material I collected. Always something to do.

Started every 'life' and got to around level 10. Those tutorial quests can get tedious. You can skip them but I enjoyed some of the character interactions so I plodded through.

Having a lot of fun, especially with the co-op. I wish you could do the main scenario stuff with other players. Also, it's kind of lame that you can't use mounts in co-op. :(

Started every 'life' and got to around level 10. Those tutorial quests can get tedious. You can skip them but I enjoyed some of the character interactions so I plodded through.

Having a lot of fun, especially with the co-op. I wish you could do the main scenario stuff with other players. Also, it's kind of lame that you can't use mounts in co-op. :(

Main scenario stuff is just go to X and talk for ages though : P

Maybe
break a doom stone

Almost God Tailor now... just a few more recipes to do!

Serrato

Just to be sure, I'm sure tailors make the Wizards wears. What classes makes the weapons they use? I expect it to be blacksmith?

Experien

Oh man...this game was TOO much talking. Especially annoying with they say, "oh well I guess i should be going...btw here are 10 more pages of dialogue. BYE!"

grrrrrr

Linius

ibwq1YBOOg07lB.JPG
ibxoZ5n92kIzK7.JPG

#Ballin'

ibtAstxcWDZeWF.JPG

And this popped up not too long after.

I have one question though, where are the Darkmon? I'm supposed to slay five of them but all I get is Shadow Dragons and Shadow wolves when I go into the Dark Void.

ibwq1YBOOg07lB.JPG
ibxoZ5n92kIzK7.JPG

#Ballin'

ibtAstxcWDZeWF.JPG

And this popped up not too long after.

I have one question though, where are the Darkmon? I'm supposed to slay five of them but all I get is Shadow Dragons and Shadow wolves when I go into the Dark Void.

They are in the Dark Void, just one of the rarer popups. There are Shadow Sharks in there as well.

TheMoon

One thing that really bothers me in this game (and many others, obviously):

NPCs should know what you did. If I start a Life as their pupil, then switch and have to talk to them again during the tutorial quest for that other life, they should know who I am and not go "oh so that's your name? You wanna be an X?" or all these repeated "go to the store" routines for items I already have in my bag. NPCs should go "you have some of these already, we don't need to go find/buy more. Or do you want me to show you anyway? Yes/No" to save on some serious legwork.

NPCs should know what you did. If I start a Life as their pupil, then switch and have to talk to them again during the tutorial quest for that other life, they should know who I am and not go "oh so that's your name? You wanna be an X?" or all these repeated "go to the store" routines for items I already have in my bag. NPCs should go "you have some of these already, we don't need to go find/buy more. Or do you want me to show you anyway? Yes/No" to save on some serious legwork.

Yeah, that bugged me a bit. Hey, remember me? I'm your student and I just got a God rank earlier...

For the get X items, some NPCs actually say something like "oh, you have X already, but here's some more", which I thought was quite cute.

daydream

Banned

Yeah, I'm not too bothered by it, though.

My personal nitpick is the day/night cycle. I wish there was a quicker way to just wait till its night instead of going back to the inn, rest etc.

TheMoon

For the get X items, some NPCs actually say something like "oh, you have X already, but here's some more", which I thought was quite cute.

Yea there is that but it still happens during the step that I'm trying to skip if I already have the necessary materials. I just started Woodcutter then Carpenter and Forrest didn't know me and I had to get Oak Logs even though I just made plenty during the Woodcutting intro.

Oni3298

I bought this game on a whim Saturday morning and played it the whole rest of the day, followed by all of Sunday as well.... Its kind of addicting.

daydream

Banned
What's the deal with bounties? I have to haul my butt back carrying this thing? When I pull out my weapon I "drop" the item.

Yeah, you have to run back to the Guild Office with bounties. You can carry a maximum of 3.

Hot tip: You can use in-world teleports without dropping the bounty. Talk to the guard standing at the end of the path connecting Castele and Grassy Plains to teleport to Castele's Main Square.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

How do you skip the life tutorials?

Grizzo

Need to finish the story asap to get the DLC perks. Already hit the cap on my INT stat as well as my Fire Magic.

The final chapter of the Tale of Lunares is the true definition of "underwhelming". I won't say one more word about it until you finished it but... yeah :(

How do you skip the life tutorials?

When talking to whichever Life master for the first time it will give you the option to "Continue this quest" or something like that. If you say "No" you skip it and still get the 100 stars and Dosh that you would have if you had completed the tutorial quest. This is only after the very first Life you have to go through of course, so for the subsequent ones.

Zing

Banned
Just to be sure, I'm sure tailors make the Wizards wears. What classes makes the weapons they use? I expect it to be blacksmith?
I found this good summary on gamefaqs. It lists the different lives and what stat bonuses, crafting items, etc are applicable.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/971712-fantasy-life/70301485

I don't understand why Paladin gets special attacks that require you to unequip your shield. The shield is what defines the paladin.

Raptomex

The main reason I got this game is because I wanted a lengthy RPG/action/open-world type game on the go. So far it's delivered. Biggest complaint, the dialogue. I've spent more time reading than anything else so far. I'm not that far into it but I hope it lets up soon.

Chaos17

The main reason I got this game is because I wanted a lengthy RPG/action/open-world type game on the go. So far it's delivered. Biggest complaint, the dialogue. I've spent more time reading than anything else so far. I'm not that far into it but I hope it lets up soon.

The intro is only hour long (Story+first job tutorial). as soon as you're asked to do Butterfly quests (second day), you're free to do what you want.

My advices : do only Butterfly quests if you want to advance in the story (or unlock options) otherwise do job challenges until you can't do them anymore in the area.
Job tutorial are 20 mins long (average time) so don't do them all once.

Combat is just overall lacking in this game. Otherwise I'm having good times crafting in carpentry.
Combats will pick up when you will arrive at the desert.

Zing

Banned
The thing is that you don't actually need to read that much. If you simply choose a single life, only accept sub quests that are relevant, and do whatever your life is meant to do while following the story, the game almost goes by too fast.

Grizzo

Well all I can say is that the main quest gets progressively worse, text-wise. But don't let that dishearten you!

I've been getting all jobs to apprentice before moving on in the story. Right now I have Paladin (haven't started) and I am working on the Cook. Because of this I am still hanging around the starting area but I have been loving it so far.

So, where do I find Iron Ore to mine?

It's pretty common throughout. Grassplains has a little bit towards the west side of the map and the east(near the mountains). Up in mistpeak you have 2 seperate caves dedicated to it, as well as hanawa cave in the west side of grassy plains.

Mudo

I've managed to get 13 hours into this over 3 days of playing which is insane for me nowadays. I almost didn't even buy it based on reviews, but am so glad I went for it. The game is just serene and sublime. I have been spending my time going through the beginning of each class to get them unlocked, and have my Hunter (the first one I made) at the 3rd or 4th tier right now. I feel like this game is going to last 100 hours at this point.

And apparently there are 2 other towns other than the starting one? lol!!

Anyways I just wanted to chime in and say that this game has really surprised me and I'm possibly having more fun with it so far, than I have with any other game this year. I do however like to grind to a degree in games so that whole aspect is right up my alley also.

Chaos17

Well all I can say is that the main quest gets progressively worse, text-wise. But don't let that dishearten you!

The story arcs are about 1 hour long or less, if people don't spam the story they should be able to bear with it, imo. That's an rpg.

Edit :Mean no harm, just informing people that what they might dislike is not endless or take hours.
Just want to reassure them.

The story arcs are about 1 hour long or less, if people don't spam the story they should be able to bear with it, imo. That's an rpg.

Yeah the story doesn't get on my nerves much at all. I spend most of my time running around caves to rank up my jobs and power through arcs when i want access to new fast travel/shop. Overall most of these chapters seem relatively brief.

Mudo

They're 6 with DLC included (only 1 town for DLC) :
3 cities (Castel included)
3 towns/villages.

HOLY @!#$!@# I did buy the DLC based on GAF - but I had no idea there were also 3 towns/villages that's awesome!! This game just keeps on delivering. I have so many games I've purchased recently just sitting around the last few days while I feverishly load this up after work and play all night. Way too addictive. I'm even putting off Sunset Overdrive now, because it would be useless to buy it tomorrow since it will just lie around lol.

Top Bottom