• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

I thought you had to enable it? Can the barber in game allow you to access all the customization options, or would I have to reroll to have access to them?
Just the post game content has to be activated. The stuff in the first list is available in the main quest as soon as you come across it once you have the DLC purchased.

The hairstylist can change your hair once you unlock her in the main quest, (including the DLC styles if you bought it), but the other extra parts need to be selected when you start a new game or you have to wait until after the main quest. (You can change your character's appearance in the post game.)

I felt foolish when I tried to place the delapitated chair in my apt. I was trying to put it in the dark spots when you have to put it in the light area. D'oh!

Linius

Also, some food you cook can be sold at very high prices.

That too of course, though I think that goes for all the crafting jobs. The real question always is if the ingredients are easy/cheap to gather compared to the money you get for selling it.

I actually need to look into that, I need to find something I can forge/carpent (ideally) simple and cheap and sell for quick buck. When I move onto Origin Island there will be another house for me to buy and I need to save up some dosh for that.

Progress so far...

59h approx., Hero Mercenary/Paladin/Miner/Lumberjack/Hunter, Master Fisherman/Alchemist/Mage/Blacksmith, adept Carpenter, Apprentice Cook and haven't touched Tailor. Storywise I just got to Levitania.

Will post a pic later so I'm not the outlier :p

Serrato

Since there was not the info I was looking for in the OT and I cannot really read 64 pages that fast...

Is skipping the introduction quests a bad thing? Do i still get the equipment and skills? I don't mind to do 12 introduction quests in a row, I just wonder.

TheMoon

Since there was not the info I was looking for in the OT and I cannot really read 64 pages that fast...

Is skipping the introduction quests a bad thing? Do i still get the equipment and skills? I don't mind to do 12 introduction quests in a row, I just wonder.

if they didn't give you the base skills and equipment, skipping them would be pointless and render the class unplayable. Materials you would've gotten are always used up during the intro quest anyway so not getting those is negligible.

I'm adoring this game, but I'm perplexed by the critical reaction (and general lack thereof). It isn't getting the kind of attention I'd expect for a significant 3DS release.

Anyway, my one concern for the game going forward is that the world map isn't very big--should I be worried?

Linius

I'm adoring this game, but I'm perplexed by the critical reaction (and general lack thereof). It isn't getting the kind of attention I'd expect for a significant 3DS release.

Anyway, my one concern for the game going forward is that the world map isn't very big--should I be worried?

It's pretty big to be honest. The city's each feel big and got a lot of NPC's and stuff going. And each central area has a bunch of caves and other locations to explore. The Porto Puerto area got two caves, the Al Maajik area got three caves. There's the Elderwood Forest and the East -and West Grassy Plains. And there are two caves around Mt. Snowpeak and then there's the area at the top of Mt. Snowpeak. Let's say there's enough to explore.

gerudoman

Yeah, I don't usually care the slightest for these things, but seeing that 73 in Metacritic actually hurts me. With the game released next to Smash Bros its only opportunity to be in the spotlight for a bit was getting the excellent scores it deserves. Unfortunately I can imagine some people will skip it because of its lukewarm reception.

Zing

Banned
You still get the Stars and equipment. I'm not sure if you get any general XP. In short, there is effectively no penalty for skipping them.

I'm doing them, of course, since its my first time through.

Chaos17

Lot of the reviews didn't get the point of the game, for example the one who rated it 30.
The guy disliked, for example : the silent MC and the Bliss system, rofl.

So all the reviews kinda show me do not ever trust again reviewers who doesn't have the time or will to test a none hyped game.
Better go watch some streamers and make your own opinion about that game.

edit : although some constumers also misterstood the game thinking that its story driven or the story has an important part while it's just an introdcution of the world.

Velcro Fly

Another fun part of running around and doing tutorials is I got my dash up to level 5 or 6 just running around. There are a few good screens for gathering materials so if you take the gathering lives first you can really gather materials enough to craft some stuff and move up a rank in those jobs. I'm really glad I took the gathering stuff since it seems like a waste of time to just skip it and have to come back and grind it all later when you can just gather whatever you see when you are out and still complete challenges.

EdLin

Neo Member
How important is the multiplayer in this game? I'm wondering if the fragmented multiplayer fouls it up, or if it's no big deal.

Chaos17

How important is the multiplayer in this game? I'm wondering if the fragmented multiplayer fouls it up, or if it's no big deal.

This game is designed to be soloed.
The co-op is a bonus to have more fun
Check the OP if you want to know more details about co-op.

tumblr_ndyubyZdXz1s6m0ozo1_500.png

So when playing multiplayer, if you get disconnected, does the game save your progress? Like, if I am smithing with a friend and gain a few levels but get disconnected, will I remain that level? I am afraid to find out, hahaha.

Grizzo

So when playing multiplayer, if you get disconnected, does the game save your progress? Like, if I am smithing with a friend and gain a few levels but get disconnected, will I remain that level? I am afraid to find out, hahaha.

I think you'll be alright because even when you get disconnected (it happened to me once), you just get back in your world and your progress is still there.

Just don't forget to save once you're back in YOUR Reveria :)

Meffer

Yes any progress you made before being disconnected will be retained. This happened to me last night so I was quite relieved.

cackhyena

Is it just me, or do they hold back on the Bliss after the initial level up and bonus you get to pick? Maybe that is intentional, but I did a lot of shit that went towards Bliss last night and felt like I hardly made a dent. I feel like I'm missing something, I dunno.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Been playing a little each night. Still in the first major city.

Should I be unlocking each Life right now, right off the bat? Or focusing on one?

I initially focused on Paladin and worked my way through a bit of the story, but it bothered me I couldn't mine or fish the resources I came across. So now I'm working on completing all the training quests (I know I could skip them but they have good story bits).

Basically any super high level "here's how you should play this" would be appreciated.

Meffer

Is it just me, or do they hold back on the Bliss after the initial level up and bonus you get to pick? Maybe that is intentional, but I did a lot of shit that went towards Bliss last night and felt like I hardly made a dent. I feel like I'm missing something, I dunno.

As you get more of the Bliss rewards, more will pop up and are really good, but you'll need more bliss to level up every time. I suggest doing online since you'll get bliss points quicker that way.

pariah164

I've fallen back into my systematic mindset. Getting each class to Apprentice, then working up. The only problem is, aside from buying them, I don't know where to mine some materials/get the ingredients I need. What's after Castele and the Grassy Plains?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've fallen back into my systematic mindset. Getting each class to Apprentice, then working up. The only problem is, aside from buying them, I don't know where to mine some materials/get the ingredients I need. What's after Castele and the Grassy Plains?

Did you ever go to snowpeak? Decent amount of stuff there.

daydream

Banned

In terms of big areas,
the second town is next (connected via West Grassy Plains).
But of course, there are a ton of sub-areas in the Grassy Plains. Check your map and explore~~

Chaos17

Your challenges will usually bring you to the areas you need for your gathering jobs.
Then from these materials you can start crafting.

You still get the Stars and equipment. I'm not sure if you get any general XP. In short, there is effectively no penalty for skipping them.

I'm doing them, of course, since its my first time through.

While there's no penalty, I have a *very* hard time skipping them; I felt legitimate guilt when I skipped the Woodcutting introduction. Everything in this game is exceptionally well-written, but I wish there was less actual dialogue. Some of the introductions go on for far too long, in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't usually care the slightest for these things, but seeing that 73 in Metacritic actually hurts me. With the game released next to Smash Bros its only opportunity to be in the spotlight for a bit was getting the excellent scores it deserves. Unfortunately I can imagine some people will skip it because of its lukewarm reception.

Yeah, nothing about it personally offends me, but I find it surprising that the game isn't resonating with more people.

This makes some sense, as the Bliss bonuses are pretty substantial.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love the concept of this, and I love Level 5.

However, these reviews are putting me off a bit. Especially the part where they say the game falls off after a few hours, making everything you do less rewarding.

I'm really into harvest moon and rune factory. Is this similar to those two, as far as progression and content?

Chaos17

However, these reviews are putting me off a bit. Especially the part where they say the game falls off after a few hours, making everything you do less rewarding.

I'm really into harvest moon and rune factory. Is this similar to those two, as far as progression and content?

Don't trust reviewers who probably didn't played that game a lot because it's not hyped.
Trust players who played the game.

Also it depend of your taste, this game is like an (offline) mmorpg where the story is totally secondary (but well written). It's all about gameplay, leveling up, crafting and beating the crap of bosses.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Take Rune Factory. Nix the farming and get rid of the calender, replacing it with just day/night. Get rid of the relationships. Seriously boost up the amount of stuff you can gather and craft, add a minigame to the crafting. Improve the flow of combat tremendously, but slightly decrease the variety of available weapons. Make the world about twenty times bigger and you have Fantasy Life.

Chaos17

Been playing a little each night. Still in the first major city.

Should I be unlocking each Life right now, right off the bat? Or focusing on one?

I initially focused on Paladin and worked my way through a bit of the story, but it bothered me I couldn't mine or fish the resources I came across. So now I'm working on completing all the training quests (I know I could skip them but they have good story bits).

Basically any super high level "here's how you should play this" would be appreciated.

My advices are :

1. check the OP for usefull tips for beginner.
2. Advance story only when you can't do anymore job challenges in the area.
3. Do something else if one life is beginning to annoy you.
4. Take your time

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Got angler up to expert. I was having fun catching stuff in the lava cave on Mt Snowpeak. Think I'm going to progress the story a little now though.

Rootbeer

Banned
This game is so fun! Best purchase I've made on my 3DS in a while. I definitely prefer it to Smash 3DS, but I am prone to RPG style games.

Anyway please help... i'm still learning:

When a streetpass visitor in this game has an item how do I actually get the item? o_O

KiTA

The hairstylist can change your hair once you unlock her in the main quest, (including the DLC styles if you bought it), but the other extra parts need to be selected when you start a new game or you have to wait until after the main quest. (You can change your character's appearance in the post game.)

Damn. Well... is there someplace listing all those DLC customizations so I can see if I want to bother rerolling to use them? (I'm only an hour or so in.)

Edit: Oh duh, there are 3 save slots.

They added a TON of hairstyles. Double the old amount give or take. Some of them are ones I wish they had had earlier, like the Samurai Ponytail styles. Quite a few eyes and mouths as well, but not nearly as much as the hair.

daydream

Banned
I wasn't available last night but I'd like to play with both of you guys tonight! Around 9pm if that's okay with you?

It's 7:30 right now where I live (daylight saving time happened this morning).

Sure thing! I'm available right now so I'll play with Gato in the meantime (if he's online). :)

Linius

This game is so fun! Best purchase I've made on my 3DS in a while. I definitely prefer it to Smash 3DS, but I am prone to RPG style games.

Anyway please help... i'm still learning:

When a streetpass visitor in this game has an item how do I actually get the item? o_O

I haven't experienced it yet. But I heard the streetpass guy or girl shows up in your Castele and then you'll have to keep talking to them for a while and at some point they'll give you the gift the other player set up for you.

The one person I came across that I noticed played this game didn't had streetpass activated. Sad panda.

Ventara

Hey guys, I'm playing as a woodcutter right now, and I'm wondering; if I switch to a miner, will I still be able to cut wood?

Anyways, I've spent 3 hours on this game, and I can see this becoming my favorite 3DS game. I really enjoy all the things you can do, without the time restrictions that games like Rune Factory 4 or Animal Crossing: New Leaf have.

Linius

Hey guys, I'm playing as a woodcutter right now, and I'm wondering; if I switch to a miner, will I still be able to cut wood?

Anyways, I've spent 3 hours on this game, and I can see this becoming my favorite 3DS game. I really enjoy all the things you can do, without the time restrictions that games like Rune Factory 4 or Animal Crossing: New Leaf have.

Yes you are. Only thing you'll miss out are the special moves you have as a woodcutter.

Top Bottom