• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Grizzo

Oh my god this game is driving me crazy right now. Here I was, thinking I could unlock Origin Island simply by talking to Pan and getting her
storage room key
but nooooooope of course that damn inane Tale of Lunares is back!

And here I am running from point A to point B and skipping tons and tons of text once again... Now they want me to go to Elderwood which is fucking far, and all I want is to go to that dam island already :(

Sorry I needed to vent because this is really frustrating

Only 3 bounty boxes can exist at a time, so is it also the same during multi-player too? :eek:

Yes it is the same, since bounties are not shared between players

Chaos17

Maybe a silly question... Paladins use longswords, Mercs use broadswords, Hunters use bows, and Wizards use wands... I know anyone can use daggers, but is it possible to get any extra moves/charge attacks/specials for daggers? Seems kind of a waste if not. I was randomly playing with a dagger since I outlevel the area I was questing in and it's super fast at attacking but lack of moves makes it repetitive.
It doesn't any special skill like other weapon BUT it has cool combos.
I like to see my moe character do a back flip, rofl.

Oh my god this game is driving me crazy right now. Here I was, thinking I could unlock Origin Island simply by talking to Pan and getting her
storage room key

And here I am running from point A to point B and skipping tons and tons of text once again... Now they want me to go to Elderwood which is fucking far, and all I want is to go to that dam island already :(

Yes it is the same, since bounties are not shared between players

You didn't bought yet your house in Elderwood, did you ? ^^;;
If it can cheer you up the story is only 1 or 2 hour long.

Zing

Banned
I am finally into the meat of this game. As a Paladin, I reached the west plains and wondered why I hadn't seen anything related to my mining quests or iron ore. I went to the library and read up where I could find the locations for my quests and the ore. I headed to the waterfall cave and finally had some challenge. I got as far as a Golem before having to turn back. I was still using bronze items and basic shield, so I did very little damage to it. I left with a sackful of iron, completed almost all my apprentice quests, and became an adept. Now it's time to smith everything.

It was interesting how mining gave over double the EXP of fighting, but I'm not sure how you would clear out some of the areas as strictly a Miner, unless you were overleveled. I did eat all of my food while in the cave, so I might try cooking. I suppose I could just buy what I need, but I am close to having enough for the largest house in town.

Grizzo

It doesn't any special skill like other weapon BUT it has cool combos.
I like to see my moe character do a back flip, rofl.

You didn't bought yet your house in Elderwood, did you ? ^^;;
If it can cheer you up the story is only 1 or 2 hour long.

Haha I still haven't bought any house yet! That would have been convenient, I must say...

I just finished chapter 1, is there gonna be some other chapters that I must play to unlock some parts of the island? :(

Zing

Banned
I'm confused. I thought the island didn't unlock until after you completed the entire story and were level 50?

Also, how what have you been spending money on, if not a house? I have 30k without even trying. I've barely sold anything. And I don't even accept all the quests. I'm only four hours into the game.

I'm confused. I thought the island didn't unlock until after you completed the entire story and were level 50?

Also, how what have you been spending money on, if not a house? I have 30k without even trying. I've barely sold anything. And I don't even accept all the quests. I'm only four hours into the game.

If you're not doing quests and you're not selling stuff, how are you making money?

Experien

Wow, I switched to a Blacksmith and got to expert in like 2 hours...now all the super weapons and armor are available!

So what is the point of refusing to give a person their dream item?

nikos

So I'm five hours into the game now. While I feel like I haven't really accomplished anything, I'm starting to understand it a bit more. I just needed to treat it more like an MMO rather than a classic JRPG for things to click. I could still be way off though.

This is going to be the official gaming chair of Fantasy Life.
chair.jpg

Chaos17

Haha I still haven't bought any house yet! That would have been convenient, I must say...

I just finished chapter 1, is there gonna be some other chapters that I must play to unlock some parts of the island? :(

I think the tower is lock if you don't do part 2 which is the last part of the DLC story.
I'm not sure because I did the story island in one go (sorry for my bad english).

Edit :
Nope you're right.
You need to finish the main story first and be lvl 50.
Anything refering to the story is called "Tale of Lunares" it seems.
Yes, even for the DLC story. Only the subchapters titles change.
(I think ? Because I only have the resumes...)

Wow, I switched to a Blacksmith and got to expert in like 2 hours...now all the super weapons and armor are available!

So what is the point of refusing to give a person their dream item?

?_?
Are you talking about villagers quests ?
If yes, nothing happen. They're just quests for money and extra items.

So I'm five hours into the game now. While I feel like I haven't really accomplished anything, I'm starting to understand it a bit more. I just needed to treat it more like an MMO rather than a classic JRPG for things to click. I could still be way off though.
Yup, that's it. That's what is that game is like.

Linius

Yeah Grizzo, unlocking the island throws you right back into the story. And I can't even buy the house there right after the story. Guess I'll need to continue with the second part to make my travelling more convenient.

By the way Grizzo, how does one last so long without having the housing fast travel option? Mad respect :p

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So far I've gotten angler, woodcutter, paladin, and miner up to master (hero in the case of angler). Have cook, hunter, blacksmith, and tailor at expert, then the rest are adept. So far I've found the crafting ones to be the more difficult ones to level up, since often I won't have all the ingredients/materials I need. Blacksmith and tailor, at least, also have you craft multiple items, which can take longer depending on what you need, but you also get a bigger star payout in the end I guess. Blacksmith was pretty quick thanks to all the mining I did, at any rate.

Radnom

Is there a way to transfer the save file of the physical copy of this game to another 3DS?

My girlfriend started playing the game on my 3DS, and assumed she could continue playing on her own 3DS, like with any other physical 3DS game. However, for some reason this game saves to the SD card instead of the cartridge. She got quite far into the game and now can't continue her save as it is tied to my 3DS.

I tried to copy the save off my SD card and onto hers, but it is unclear what files are Fantasy Life related.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing at this point it's doubtful that there's a solution, but I figured if anyone has a clue, they'd be here!

Ventara

You know what else they could add to a potential sequel? A Shopkeeper Life and Stockbroker Life. Playing the Stalk Market in Animal Crossing was one of my favorite parts of that game, and I think playing the role of a shopkeeper could be fun (maybe like Recettear?).

Anyways, still working on getting all my Lifes to Apprentice before I visit Puerto.

Kater

Banned
storage room key

I can relate to that. Skimmed through most of it after I endured the whole main story.

Oh, and more talking to Pam, thanks for that, developers. That cutesy waving animation of hers she does all the time. 😣
It's made even worse when you find out that Origins Island has a Pam as well with the same animation. Ugh. Banish them all to Oblivion, I say! 😠

Linius

Origin Island enemies are indeed a bit more diverse in their attacks. One of these centaurs managed to demolish one of my bounties with one arrow when I wasn't paying attention to him. Scum I'm telling you.

It's not a very big place of course but with all the new enemies and mats it's pretty fun so far. It opens up a lot of new stuff to craft and make too. Found a piece of God armour iirc in a treasure chest which was stronger than my holy armour I crafted myself. Already done all the god rank stuff for Paladin except for defeating the dragon. I did went up to him to see where he was. Was on my own and didn't bring enough potions and stuff but I could damage him quite well. Think if I'll return with Odin and someone else he shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Also need to find out about the lunares coins stuff. Do I have to talk to Pam or is it something that comes up in the story?

LAST NIGHT: got Hunter, Blacksmith, Angler, Miner and Woodcutter to Adept, explored a bit of Elderwoods, Port Town, and found a camp in the plains.

zlCfzSl3mNA-54OueW

Do not engage Qurupeco.

TONIGHT: ready to rock my new look and start Chapter 3, after that, I'll probably start the Paladin Life to unlock the use of swords.

zlCfzSl4_gIGN4y43M

Also need to find out about the lunares coins stuff. Do I have to talk to Pam or is it something that comes up in the story?

After you finish the Origin Island story, you'll get a tutorial on them.

Basically you need to complete Pam's often ridiculous (or occasionally super easy) requests to receive 2 or more Silver Coins. 4 Silver Coins translates into 1 Gold Coin.

You can also earn 3 Gold Coins by completing a God rank special request the first time, then 1 Gold Coin subsequent times.

Right now, I'm earning 5 Silver Coins from Pam, which is slightly faster than doing a God rank request, but as I say that, Pam currently wants a Wicked Bird Feather, only gotten from a God rank request.

Pam...

Zing

Banned
Is there a way to transfer the save file of the physical copy of this game to another 3DS?

My girlfriend started playing the game on my 3DS, and assumed she could continue playing on her own 3DS, like with any other physical 3DS game. However, for some reason this game saves to the SD card instead of the cartridge. She got quite far into the game and now can't continue her save as it is tied to my 3DS.

I tried to copy the save off my SD card and onto hers, but it is unclear what files are Fantasy Life related.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing at this point it's doubtful that there's a solution, but I figured if anyone has a clue, they'd be here!
I noticed this also, as I mentioned on the previous page. It is rather strange. I assume it's because the original game, pre-expansion, had only one save slot on the cart. The extra save slots were added with the expansion, so they would have been forced to use the SD card.

It is great because one cart can be shared endlessly amongst a family or friends. However, it is bad because your save is locked to your system. There may be a way to move files, but I assume you can only move with a system transfer.

If you're not doing quests and you're not selling stuff, how are you making money?
I am doing quests, just not any unrelated to my current jobs. The quests sometimes give out a lot of dosh. Also, I have turned in about a dozen bounties. I spent a couple thousand on materials at the start to smith some items, but have spent nothing since then.

I'm wondering if I will regret spending 30000 on this house.

Grampasso

Where?! I haven't finished the "story" on Origin Island yet. Do I need to plough through that before I have access to the homes there and in the Elderwood?
You didn't check properly or you're confused. Origin Island is the DLC, if you got there you certainly already passed that point, maybe you mean Reveria Story? If you actually reached the DLC btw check
the forest folk village. You can buy a house near Pino's, speak with the bird. And there's a house in Levitania village as well

Chopper

You didn't check properly or you're confused. Origin Island is the DLC, if you got there you certainly already passed that point, maybe you mean Reveria Story? If you actually reached the DLC btw check
the forest folk village. You can buy a house near Pino's, speak with the bird. And there's a house in Levitania village as well
I didn't check properly, I guess. I'll have another look near Pino's. Also, Levitania.

Regarding Origin Island,
I'm still leading Grace around, showing her the sights of Reveria. When can I buy the house at the Forest Shrine?!

I didn't check properly, I guess. I'll have another look near Pino's. Also, Levitania.

Regarding Origin Island,
I'm still leading Grace around, showing her the sights of Reveria. When can I buy the house at the Forest Shrine?!

Hehe, you need to finish the Origin Island story for that as well.

Whoo, finally got my Alchemy skill level to 15 by crafting Diamond Ring after Diamond Ring. God rank can't be too far behind now...

Grizzo

Yeah, my bad, I meant the DLC quest. The first chapter is called Tales of Lunares EX 1. You do have to beat the main story and be level 50 to open it, but they built a whole new story around it (and wrote a loooooot of dialogs).

Also, I've been spending money on Mega Aid, Life Cures and expansive weapons (I just couldn't wait to craft them). I still have tons of money but I just don't know which house to buy first between all 6 available to me right now so I still didn't buy one.

Maybe in Levitania since it's a little tedious to go there. But then again there's not much to do there. Ah well.

I think the tower is lock if you don't do part 2 which is the last part of the DLC story.
I'm not sure because I did the story island in one go (sorry for my bad english).

Gotcha. I'll get right to it and beat the story to unlock the whole island and all of its mysteries!

it's alright you know, because I'm french too ;)

Yeah Grizzo, unlocking the island throws you right back into the story. And I can't even buy the house there right after the story. Guess I'll need to continue with the second part to make my travelling more convenient.

By the way Grizzo, how does one last so long without having the housing fast travel option? Mad respect :p

haha, I don't even know! Well at least it has helped me level up my Dash skill pretty fast.

Now that I think about it, I should maybe buy a house in Al Maajik first. It's near the Ancient Ruins and the Dark Void so that should be pretty convenient!

I can relate to that. Skimmed through most of it after I endured the whole main story.

Oh, and more talking to Pam, thanks for that, developers. That cutesy waving animation of hers she does all the time. 😣
It's made even worse when you find out that Origins Island has a Pam as well with the same animation. Ugh. Banish them all to Oblivion, I say! 😠

Louisa, right? I thought this was Pam at first, haha. They should maybe have changed her hair color. Maybe she should go talk to Florina about that :D

Linius

Just buy all the houses man, you should have a ton of dosh by now :p

And I've never bought a single life cure in this game. I got well over 40 of them by finding them everywhere but I never use them. It's very hard to 'die' in this game :p

I do use a lot of life aids, sp potions and stuff like that. Does any of you use those supplements to temporary make you stronger in some aspects? So far I never felt the need to use them to be honest.

Grizzo

Just buy all the houses man, you should have a ton of dosh by now :p

And I've never bought a single life cure in this game. I got well over 40 of them by finding them everywhere but I never use them. It's very hard to 'die' in this game :p

Well I must be playing it wrong because I often die against huge bosses (thank god that other players can endlessly bring you back to life in online mode!) :p but I'm getting better at it, I only used two against the Shadow Bigbeak!

I don't even have that much dosh! I only have about 87 000 right now. When I read that people already passed the 1 000 000 mark when they've been playing for half the time I did, I stop for a second and wonder what I did wrong haha. Because I don't think I've gathered even half that amount of dosh in 42 hours!

I do use a lot of life aids, sp potions and stuff like that. Does any of you use those supplements to temporary make you stronger in some aspects? So far I never felt the need to use them to be honest.

I've tried using those bombs but they're not great. You can just place them somewhere, not throw them at your enemy, so the attack is bound to fail. I'm just gonna sell what I have left.

daydream

Banned
Well I must be playing it wrong because I often die against huge bosses (thank god that other players can endlessly bring you back to life in online mode!) :p but I'm getting better at it, I only used two against the Shadow Bigbeak!

I don't even have that much dosh! I only have about 87 000 right now. When I read that people already passed the 1 000 000 mark when they've been playing for half the time I did, I stop for a second and wonder what I did wrong haha. Because I don't think I've gathered even half that amount of dosh in 42 hours!

Hm, you are higher-leveled than me but don't have the Al-Maajik house, yet. Are you doing NPC requests/how many NPC requests have you done so far? Because a lot of them net you a couple thousand dosh.

Linius

I've played about 72 hours and I passed the million dosh mark around my 65th hour I think. Currently got 300.000 in my pocket, but I need to use that for my last house on Origin Island. After that I'm pretty much free of big purchases :D

And as a paladin I usually circle around the big bosses and use HP potions when my health goes down. But by circling around them and timing my charged attacks you can survive without potions quite a while. Usually once a big boss his health is almost gone I get careless and just go in there with my sword to finish things of whilst receiving some hits.

Reached God Alchemist now and I can craft candies that
permanently increase some of your stats
o__o

Hmm... would it be safe to eat
16-17 candies for each of the 6 stats? Since you can only eat 100 candies overall.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game is really, really good. Glad I picked it up despite the reviews.

Speaking of which, I just don't understand how this game reviewed so badly. It is super polished, there is tons of content, the combat controls are really tight, there is so much variety in classes...

Was it because the EU translation was so terrible?

Grizzo

Hm, you are higher-leveled than me but don't have the Al-Maajik house, yet. Are you doing NPC requests/how many NPC requests have you done so far? Because a lot of them net you a couple thousand dosh.

Oh yeah, I've already accepted a lot of them but some of them want super rare items and others just give me like 200 or 700 dosh (which is absolutely pathetic). Like I said, I must be doing something wrong. I'll try talking to some more of them.

On the plus side, I've finally become a Legend Hunter. Shouldn't be long until I'm a God!

Also, I didn't think I would be the only one who didn't buy any house. But you are all right: it is convenient and I'm dumb for spending money on air rides!

I've played about 72 hours and I passed the million dosh mark around my 65th hour I think. Currently got 300.000 in my pocket, but I need to use that for my last house on Origin Island. After that I'm pretty much free of big purchases :D

And as a paladin I usually circle around the big bosses and use HP potions when my health goes down. But by circling around them and timing my charged attacks you can survive without potions quite a while. Usually once a big boss his health is almost gone I get careless and just go in there with my sword to finish things of whilst receiving some hits.

That's what I'm doing too! But the reason it just takes forever for me to kill bosses is because I'm always bringing my allies back to life (Odin and Yuelia). Those two just don't seem to know when to attack and when to take a step back, so they end up dying every 15 seconds or so, haha.

daydream

Banned
Oh yeah, I've already accepted a lot of them but some of them want super rare items and others just give me like 200 or 700 dosh (which is absolutely pathetic). Like I said, I must be doing something wrong. I'll try talking to some more of them.

On the plus side, I've finally become a Legend Hunter. Shouldn't be long until I'm a God!

Also, I didn't think I would be the only one who didn't buy any house. But you are all right: it is convenient and I'm dumb for spending money on air rides!

Plus you'll have something to decorate!

I just dump in as much furniture as possible to make room in my inventory. :p

Grizzo

Plus you'll have something to decorate!

I just dump in as much furniture as possible to make room in my inventory. :p

That's why I keep telling people that this game has nothing to do with Animal Crossing. The house customization is just a bonus, not a full-fledged feature that's an integral part of the gameplay.

Actually it kinda reminds me of those secret bases in the Pokemon series.

Man, I've died like four times. Each time starts the same:

"I'm five levels higher, have completely replaced my weapons and armor, and have better party members. I wonder if i can do my wizard adept quests yet?"

Flame Wraith: *laughs*

cackhyena

I've played about three or four different jobs now, but always hit a wall because I haven't progressed enough in the story. For woodcutter, I need Palm trees I can't get because that section of the map is cut off. Should I just go through the story as quickly as possible? Is that what you guys are doing?

daydream

Banned
That's why I keep telling people that this game has nothing to do with Animal Crossing. The house customization is just a bonus, not a full-fledged feature that's an integral part of the gameplay.

Actually it kinda reminds me of those secret bases in the Pokemon series.

Yeah, I ignored those in Ruby, too. And my house in Animal Crossing always ended up being an oversized storage. :p

Maybe if there was a Life for 'interior decorator' I would care.

Got "Defeat Napdragon" Adept Paladin challenge. Gather full party and... nope, still 0 damage.
In other news, I've got the Castele music stuck in my head.

Zing

Banned
I've played about three or four different jobs now, but always hit a wall because I haven't progressed enough in the story. For woodcutter, I need Palm trees I can't get because that section of the map is cut off. Should I just go through the story as quickly as possible? Is that what you guys are doing?
Why as quickly as possible? I've also hit that wall you mention, but it's right as my story is about to progress to the next town. I "only" have three different lives, and they are all balanced so far.

I am about to try cooking. I am on the fence about angler, though.

I looked around town, but didn't find a shop that sells fishing rods. Is there one in the first town? I know carpentry makes them, but I just want to buy. Fishing will be a low priority.

Chaos17

So far I've gotten angler, woodcutter, paladin, and miner up to master (hero in the case of angler). Have cook, hunter, blacksmith, and tailor at expert, then the rest are adept. So far I've found the crafting ones to be the more difficult ones to level up, since often I won't have all the ingredients/materials I need. Blacksmith and tailor, at least, also have you craft multiple items, which can take longer depending on what you need, but you also get a bigger star payout in the end I guess. Blacksmith was pretty quick thanks to all the mining I did, at any rate.
Yeah, materials for tailors don't drop often if you don't raise your luck a lot.
I had to throw all my money into the merchants to buy those materials, lol.

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSl4_gIGN4y43M
So rare to see someone wear glasses on their characters, it suits him.

Where?! I haven't finished the "story" on Origin Island yet. Do I need to plough through that before I have access to the homes there and in the Elderwood?
The house is at the left of the village.
Yeah, the game stop telling from Al Majiik that you can buy a house.
You've to found it and talk to the NPC yourself.

The next is in Levitania, you've someone too to talk to.

How many chapters in until Port town is unlocked?
Right after you finished the receive the part with Napdragon arc story.

This game is really, really good. Glad I picked it up despite the reviews.

Speaking of which, I just don't understand how this game reviewed so badly. It is super polished, there is tons of content, the combat controls are really tight, there is so much variety in classes...

Was it because the EU translation was so terrible?
No, from what I read it's because most of the testers did not played outside the story and didn't played a lot the game at least more than 5 hours.
So most a lot of them missed the point of the game.
You will easely understand that when you will play a lot the game then go read those reviews.

DoWxKPh.jpg

daydream

Banned

Go through the story at your own pace. If you open up a new town, you will obviously be tempted to explore all of it and its sub-areas, talk to the NPCs, take requests, etc. so only you know when it is time for that. If you feel like you want to progress the jobs you have, and the next town is required for that, go ahead and do the next story portion.

There is no right or wrong way here.

Chaos17

Why as quickly as possible? I've also hit that wall you mention, but it's right as my story is about to progress to the next town. I "only" have three different lives, and they are all balanced so far.

I am about to try cooking. I am on the fence about angler, though.

I looked around town, but didn't find a shop that sells fishing rods. Is there one in the first town? I know carpentry makes them, but I just want to buy. Fishing will be a low priority.
Edit : item shop, sell it.
Tutorial will give you one too.

I don't suggest it because a lot of people came to dislike the story (ex:reviewers) when they no lifed it.
I suggest you to advance in the story when you don't have anymore challenges like you do now. Pacing up thing in this game is important to not get burn out, imo.
But that's just a suggestion, you're free to do what you like.

I'm sorry for my english.

Edit : item shop, sell it.
Tutorial will give you one too.

I don't suggest it because a lot of people came to dislike the story (ex:reviewers) when they no lifed it.
I suggest you to advance in the story when you don't have anymore challenges like you do now. Pacing up thing in this game is important to not get burn out, imo.
But that's just a suggestion, you're free to do what you like.

I'm sorry for my english.

I think I am having so much fun playing the little mini games in crafting without using the automatic X sometimes.

Switching between each life is neat, and exploring various places is awesome.

Top Bottom