• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Ventara

I've got another XL and have considered charging the battery and keeping it with me at all times. This game is crack and it's chosen Life is drug dealer.

Will that Life be in the sequel? Will you have to defend your turf from other dealers?

Jokes aside, this game really is amazingly addictive (in a good way). Every free moment of my time these past three days have gone to playing it, and while I'm at work, I think about it and post on a gaming forum about it.

Brakke

Banned
That's totally normal.
Mage is one the class that has a difficult start because of the MP running out.
That would be wise to think about getting alchemy to make your own cheap MP potion.
More you will advance in your rank more the class will deliver with it's AoE spells.
More INT point you will put in your stat more SP regen you will have.

You can check that video to get a glimpse about high level mage playstyle : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dDmjzBeKIc&list=UUBnzfxCBwmVRm0lVSUX4Gww

But if you don't like that playstyle you can try other jobs.
For example, if you like ranged, archer is good. Same as mage but without the MP problem. This game is good for bashing mobs but with a good luck so monsters will drop more often their loots so you won't have to spend money to buy them, haha.

Go to the guild office, the place where you received your first license card.
You can change whenever you want class outside of story (when you will see message "Explore Reveria") and co-op.
Also try to read carefully the tutorials, they do explain eveything to you about the basics of the game.

As long as you're not in the middle of a story section (the screen will have something like "Explore Reveria"), go to the Guild and change your Life at the desk. You're free to play out the tutorial section (I did them since they have some nice story bits) or just skip them and acquire the job skill. Once you're a Fledgling in that Life, it means you have the skill in that job and can continue to use it in other jobs.

I hope i explained that well enough. im not too good at wxplaining things myself, lol. And yeah, the game definitely could have done a better job at this. It makes it seem like it's okay to just keep at one Life, but you actually need to do (or at least start) every Life so that you can, well, DO things in the game.

Ah ha! Turns out unlocking all jobs was the very next thing to happen! I was getting worried that you'd have to make an active decision to switch between jobs but as long as you have Lumberjack you can cut down trees whenever you want? Ok! This makes a lot more sense now.

ALSO before I went to the Guild House I scored enough Bliss to pick a present and now I have an adorable pet dog and my heart melted and yeah I'm definitely going to stick with this game for a bit. It's just so charming!

My work schedule this week has been stupid so I haven't gotten to play as much as I'd like, but I've been literally squeezing it in every chance I can. I can't wait for the weekend so I can go nuts with this game.

It's lived up to my expectations and so much more so far, and I haven't even gone to the second town yet.

quabba

Finally got all jobs to at least legendary last night. Cook was a chore even with dlc badge and store (I probably world have given up if I couldn't buy monster meat).

I also hit lvl 100 while doing it, now at 120hours And I have 6 god rank 6 legendary rank. I will definitely keep working on the other 6 god ranks and hopefully I can level up and craft some high gear to take on the special requests

Grizzo

You know I can't really blame the reviewers in the sense that if I had only been playing the main quest, I probably would have given Fantasy Life a very bad grade too, like 35/100 or whatever.

But then again, why would you only play though the main quest and ignore the essential part of the game: mastering all the lives.

I guess they have a lot of games to play every week and some of them just can't be bothered to explore what they have to offer.

Kater

Banned
You know I can't really blame the reviewers in the sense that if I had only been playing the main quest, I probably would have given Fantasy Life a very bad grade too, like 35/100 or whatever.

But then again, why would you only play though the main quest and ignore the essential part of the game: mastering all the lives.

I guess they have a lot of games to play every week and some of them just can't be bothered to explore what they have to offer.
Most people who work for gaming sites/magazines have a pretty tight schedule and a handheld game is probably not their highest priority. Especially in a month were highly advertised and anticipated AAA games like Alien Isolation release. Should have released it earlier, maybe Summer.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Mastered my first crafting class, blacksmith. Think I'm going to progress the story now.

Grizzo

Most people who work for gaming sites/magazines have a pretty tight schedule and a handheld game is probably not their highest priority. Especially in a month were highly advertised and anticipated AAA games like Alien Isolation release. Should have released it earlier, maybe Summer.

Yeah, but that being said it doesn't really explain why it was better received in Europe than in the US. Maybe because we got it one month earlier and thus the releases schedule was much less packed? We may never know!

tuffy

Things in this game have a tendency to snowball, I've noticed. I stumbled onto a new area by accident and found myself with a bunch of palm lumber and silver ores. That meant I could craft some palm saws and axes, except that I needed silver ingots. And I couldn't yet forge silver ingots, so that meant cranking out a bunch of iron gear to raise my blacksmithing level. But once I could forge silver ingots, it was best to start work on a silver hammer first to make forging all that other stuff easier.

No wonder this game makes hours fly by.

cackhyena

So is my axe having no effect on certain trees because my level isn't high enough? I have the best axe the game will give me atm. I came across snow covered trees, an elder palm, and a floating magical one in elderwood. 0 effect on them.

ALSO before I went to the Guild House I scored enough Bliss to pick a present and now I have an adorable pet dog and my heart melted and yeah I'm definitely going to stick with this game for a bit. It's just so charming!

Absolutely! I actually had to restart recently after 40 hours in. My old game was mostly Paladin, mining and smithing, but i'm taking my time and doing all the jobs now.

Mage was AWFUL when it came time to actually try and get past fledgeling. I crafted myself a wand in preparation and it was just such a drag. But, i just unlocked the X ability and it all seems worth it now :) Still not sure what to "main" I'm taking everything through the grassy plains before i go to port puerto, but i might not do this for every zone. I don't want to tap out all the jobs before i finish the story.

So is my axe having no effect on certain trees because my level isn't high enough? I have the best axe the game will give me atm. I came across snow covered trees, an elder palm, and a floating magical one in elderwood. 0 effect on them.

It's a mix of your axe and your STR skill, along with the supporter skill. You're basically just not strong enough to hurt it. If you're not already doing carpentry, i highly suggest picking it up, the difference between a base axe and "top quality" axe is pretty jarring.

Ah, I see. I have made my own top quality axe, but I'd been slacking on putting points in strength.

Yeah, i'm happy so far that i'm able to out gear some things. I'm level 18, with no points anywhere but vit, but the iron weapons/tools are allowing me to play more or less the same way i did when i was splitting 3 ways between str/vit and luck. I hit like a mosquito though in actual combat :(

cackhyena

Yeah, i'm happy so far that i'm able to out gear some things. I'm level 18, with no points anywhere but vit, but the iron weapons/tools are allowing me to play more or less the same way i did when i was splitting 3 ways between str/vit and luck. I hit like a mosquito though in actual combat :(
I started off a woodcutter, but went to archer after I hit the wall. Pretty beefed up between that and dagger from the early goings. Out enough into str to not have to worry about fights. But crit is low, so now I'm working on luck. Great little game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

Most almost certainly freelanced the review, as they have to do with almost any time-sink RPG :)

Anyway - not sure what all the "bad review" talk in this topic is about to begin with. 9 from US Gamer, 8 from IGN, 8 from Destructoid... sure there's some lower scores in there too, but games don't get scores this high from anyone big without being pretty darn good.

And the lower scores aren't exactly unfair, either. I'm enjoying FL a lot but there's no denying certain elements of it are pretty rough.

Chaos17

Most almost certainly freelanced the review, as they have to do with almost any time-sink RPG :)

Anyway - not sure what all the "bad review" talk in this topic is about to begin with. 9 from US Gamer, 8 from IGN, 8 from Destructoid... sure there's some lower scores in there too, but games don't get scores this high from anyone big without being pretty darn good.

And the lower scores aren't exactly unfair, either. I'm enjoying FL a lot but there's no denying certain elements of it are pretty rough.

I was talking about this list : http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/fantasy-life/critic-reviews
Specialy the last one : http://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/fantasy-life

And I always said thanks to the high rated reviews otherwise that game will have sink under the 65 rate, imo.
The game is not perfect but like Grizzzo said if they sticked only to the story no wonder some missed the point of the game.

That's what I'm fighting against : misterstanding.
You may not notice it on Gaf that a lot of people misterstood this game but on Gamefaq, we see daily post about that : "is it an animal crossing game ?" or "Can you get married ?" or "what kind of game is it ?" or "I'm on the fence of buying this game" or "Can I crossdress?" etc...

Wookieomg

What's the consensus so far for Fantasy Life? I'm considering picking it up! Nobuo Uematsu being the composer and Yoshitaka Amano designs are very compelling reasons for me. The gameplay seems legit as well; I could prolly see myself sinking many hours into it. But hype is not enough for me anymore. So how does this fare, GAF?

Chaos17

What's the consensus so far for Fantasy Life? I'm considering picking it up! Nobuo Uematsu being the composer and Yoshitaka Amano designs are very compelling reasons for me. The gameplay seems legit as well; I could prolly see myself sinking many hours into it. But hype is not enough for me anymore. So how does this fare, GAF?
I see that you played on your Steam profile that your most played game is Skyrim. Then think about this game as a cute Skyrim.
I prefer to suggest you this game based on your taste rather than mine that you migh think being biased.

Ventara

It's amazing! As a fan of life simulation RPGs, I think this one may be my favourite on the 3DS. Even better than Rune Factory 4 and Animal Crossing. It's a perfect mixture the casual go-at-you-own pace gameplay and the huge amount of stuff you can do and level up. No strict timelines or a gazillion things to keep track of,just fun, addicting gameplay.

Wookieomg

I see that you played on your Steam profile that your most played game is Skyrim. Then think about this game as a cute Skyrim.
I prefer to suggest you this game based on your taste rather than mine that you migh think being biased.

Interesting. I did enjoy me some Skyrim when it came out, but haven't touched it since then really.

I was really wanting personal impressions/critiques though. :p

It's amazing! As a fan of life simulation RPGs, I think this one may be my favourite on the 3DS. Even better than Rune Factory 4 and Animal Crossing. It's a perfect mixture the casual go-at-you-own pace gameplay and the huge amount of stuff you can do and level up. No strict timelines or a gazillion things to keep track of,just fun, addicting gameplay.

Sounds like something I could sink some time into. Thanks for your input! :)

Chaos17

Interesting. I did enjoy me some Skyrim when it came out, but haven't touched it since then really.

I was really wanting personal impressions/critiques though. :p

General feeling...
As an ex mmorpg player, this game has all the mechanics I like from them without the downside of them. You're not nerfed or punished or forced to reroll. You're free to have fun.

The controls respond correctly, you don't fight your way through the UI. Of course the game could be polished and has flaws that've been covered by the genre since a while. But Level-5 did a great job on it for a fresh IP in the genre. I just want more~

zlCfzSmDCeoOpFkAPz

Wookieomg

General feeling...
As an ex mmorpg player, this game has all the mechanics I like from them without the downside of them. You're not nerfed or punished or forced to reroll. You're free to have fun.

The controls respond correctly, you don't fight your way through the UI. Of course the game could be polished and has flaws that've been covered by the genre since a while. But Level-5 did a great job on it for a fresh IP in the genre. I just want more~

zlCfzSmEGXEYD3iMAW

I'm particularly fatigued with MMO's myself, even though I'll likely dip my toes in Warlords of Draenor in a few weeks. So your mention of the positives without the negatives piques my interest. I think I'll go get it. Thanks for the info! :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Better to blast through the story to get all areas unlocked, then work through jobs at my own pace, or better to do everything in all the jobs I'm interested in, and then move on once all the resources, bounties, etc. have been exhausted?

I've been doing the latter, but I'm thinking about just rolling straight through the story so I can jet around completing Star quests at my leisure.

Chaos17

I'm particularly fatigued with MMO's myself, even though I'll likely dip my toes in Warlords of Draenor in a few weeks. So your mention of the positives without the negatives piques my interest. I think I'll go get it. Thanks for the info! :)

I see so you too you played WoW.
Then it makes things easier.

- WoW has a great lore and story, Fantasy Life don't have it but they made some efforts on the writting. Though, it's cliché like WoW.
- You need a guild to see end game content or go in looking for raid (hoping trolls won't ruin the party), you don't have that downside in Fantasy Life. You can solo everything.
- You can't try every class in WoW without rerolling, here you can.
- WoW has great co-op (function) like Diablo but unfortunaly Fantasy Life is still a baby on that side.
- WoW has great open world, Fantasy Life don't have to be shy on that side, Level-5 found a good balance.
- WoW difficulty ? We know that normal mobs are usually easy, then elites can eat you up and bosses stay bosses. That's the same in Fantasy Life. DLC is like Timeless island difficulty though.
- Quests, there're job challenges, tutorials quests and fetch quests in Fantasy Life. Though the number of fetch quests in Fantasy Life is pretty amazing so far (260 and still going on).
- Fantasy life lack options to be more polished, examples : transmogrification, mail service, auction house, aggro system, better AI for pets, difficulty option (like in Diablo), etc.

I think I will stop here >.>'

Brakke

Banned
Haha ok I'm getting the hang of this game now, trying out a bunch jobs. One thing I don't get is are your quests job-based?

For instance, as a tailor I can equip & use my magic... but do my Kill With Heavy Fire hits count toward the quest I have to kill ten enemies with that ability? Or do I have to be actively a Mage?

pariah164

Dat feel when you realize you missed a whole day of playing Fantasy Life and you won't be penalized for it.

I remember missing a day of Animal Crossing and feeling despair that could only be matched by Danganronpa.

Chaos17

Haha ok I'm getting the hang of this game now, trying out a bunch jobs. One thing I don't get is are your quests job-based?

For instance, as a tailor I can equip & use my magic... but do my Kill With Heavy Fire hits count toward the quest I have to kill ten enemies with that ability? Or do I have to be actively a Mage?

1. be sure to check the item details, some weapons/armors can't be used by everyone while other of the same type can be (don't ask me why, I don't know).

2. usually it's written on the challenge when you've to be specifically in your class to do the challenge but since the description is taking the whole window... anyway, you've to give the killing blow with your magic. If it's your pet who kill the monster, it won't count (I had that problem, lol). If this doens't count then try to change into mage. That's all I could advice you.

A lot of times they'll clarify on the text. like, "kill 10 fish as a wizard." Other than that, the only thing i've noticed is that your gathering professions get more stuff when you're that class. An excellently mined node will yield 3 items to a miner, but only 2 for anyone else.

Brakke

Banned
A lot of times they'll clarify on the text. like, "kill 10 fish as a wizard." Other than that, the only thing i've noticed is that your gathering professions get more stuff when you're that class. An excellently mined node will yield 3 items to a miner, but only 2 for anyone else.

Right on, thanks guys!

BooJoh

The Platinum Deposits and Fir Trees on top of Snowpeak seem to be a common issue for people, because most people will naturally arrive there for a story quest long before you need/can gather the resources there. The boss level trees and deposits can give you trouble too, but if you think of those as equivalent to the combat Life quests to slay crown monsters then you'll realize why they're so impervious to your axe/pick. You're meant to tackle those things at a higher skill or with better stats and tools, even though they give you a "boss" quest for each class at Adept rank.

Even if you can do a couple damage to them per swing, if you don't have access to the third town region yet you probably can't make much use of the materials you'll get up there, so it's not worth spending several minutes and a full bar of SP just to fell a single tree. Best to just come back for them later.

Linius

I've done apprentice/adept challenges as a master or even hero. Don't be afraid to skip something, you'll be able to gather enough stars to promote ranks anyways. I believe the nap dragon is an adept challenge for Paladins. If you do that as an adept you'll probably need to schedule about 30 minutes of playing time to kill it :p

Started Chapter 3 last night, the beach map is a bit overwhelming! Lots of powerful enemies too. I tried to fish the swordfish but that didn't go well, lol.

Tried to write the magic skills page on wiki, turn out I got an error at end... I lost everything... *cry*
Wiki editor suck too, I think I will just help with the items in the futur >.>'

Online editors are the worst/totally unreliable. Although these days you can't avoid them because they're more user-friendly and easier to build around.

I guess the morale is always save a draft on your hard drive before publishing anything! ^^

Back to FL, I'm wondering what's the easiest God special request to grind.

I found the Miner one pretty dang easy, but it's quite a distance walking from the depths of the Lava Cave back to the Snowpeak bounty lady.

The Cook one isn't bad either, but you're asked for 3 Demon Shells per dish and sometimes I just get one...

Niraj

I got my first bliss bonus. Which should I get first? Bigger bag? Pet?

Personally, I maxed out the bag first, since I have a hoarding problem. It's very easy to fill up fast if you're doing a lot of gathering and crafting.

BooJoh

Personally, I maxed out the bag first, since I have a hoarding problem. It's very easy to fill up fast if you're doing a lot of gathering and crafting.

I kept upgrading my bag and then made the stunning discovery that you can craft from storage, so you don't have to carry around all those stacks of logs, ore, lumber, and bars. That freed up about half of my bag space.

I got my first bliss bonus. Which should I get first? Bigger bag? Pet?

Bigger bag, always lol
I kept upgrading my bag and then made the stunning discovery that you can craft from storage, so you don't have to carry around all those stacks of logs, ore, lumber, and bars. That freed up about half of my bag space.
Still good to hoard so you can just give the item quest giver asks for lol, but yeah wondered how many people know you can craft from storage XD

Forkball

Hmm so maxing out lives isn't as easy as I assumed. It seems best to pick a few, though it's easier to level up the non-combat classes when it ties in with your combat life.

gerudoman

Things in this game have a tendency to snowball, I've noticed. I stumbled onto a new area by accident and found myself with a bunch of palm lumber and silver ores. That meant I could craft some palm saws and axes, except that I needed silver ingots. And I couldn't yet forge silver ingots, so that meant cranking out a bunch of iron gear to raise my blacksmithing level. But once I could forge silver ingots, it was best to start work on a silver hammer first to make forging all that other stuff easier.

No wonder this game makes hours fly by.

Yeah, this is why this game is the epitome of the "one more mission and I quit, I swear" :D

I'm still bitter it didn't get its own Direct. I'm pretty sure Tomodachi Life wouldn't have sold that many copies without that infamous Direct.

Man, that Poseidon Swordfish was tough nuts to catch.

Wanted to catch another, so I left the bounty outside Deepsea Cave, because no aggressive monsters spawn there.

Just my luck, I returned outside to find the Typhoon Bird had spawned next to my bounty. Reset!

EDIT

Anyone want a full Pam or Bandit set? The Castele wishing fountain doesn't like me. (DLC required!)

pam.png
bandit.png

Niraj

That's good to know lol. I'll probably dump off all my fish at least.

Top Bottom