• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Grizzo

I've played about three or four different jobs now, but always hit a wall because I haven't progressed enough in the story. For woodcutter, I need Palm trees I can't get because that section of the map is cut off. Should I just go through the story as quickly as possible? Is that what you guys are doing?

Yes I would advise you to burn through the story just to get rid of it as quickly as possible, but that's just my opinion.

Adopting a slow pace is a good idea too. Just do what you're able to in each location that opens up to you until you can't do anything more. Then, make some progress in the main quest.

Zing

Banned
Oh, the general goods store? I didn't think to check there.

I may just skip angler. Four jobs feels like enough already!

Oh, the general goods store? I didn't think to check there.

I may just skip angler. Four jobs feels like enough already!
I would recommend grabbing it. Fish when you feel like it and buy what you don't have. Every once in a while go turn in the requests you'll naturally complete. I've found that the gathering lives seem to let you complete requests you haven't officially received yet so they are very manageable passively.

Chaos17

After people searching all over the game to get clues about what lives were planned, now we got a screenshot of the DS version to make them more official, I guess *pain*

lbktVXd.jpg

Source : http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/971712-fantasy-life/70431004

Postman
Mechanic
Pilot
Scholar
Treasure Hunter
Fortune Teller
Merchant
Farmer

In my veins, please!!

Grizzo

After people searching all over the game to get clues about what lives were planned, now we got a screenshot of the DS version to make them more official, I guess *pain*

lbktVXd.jpg

Postman
Mechanic
Pilot
Scholar
Treasure Hunter
Fortune Teller
Merchant
Farmer

In my veins, please!!

Maybe that would have been too overwhelming and maybe some of these jobs were redundant. I trust Level-5 on this one. If these jobs were cut from the final version, there must be a good reason.

I'm sure some of them (if not all) will be back for the sequel, and what's more, in a refined form!

Chaos17

Is there a way to fast travel? I got to the second town, but there is no option when I open my map to travel there.

When you finish the story arc of an area, you will be able to take the airship to go over there and you will have the option to buy a house.
You can only fast travel to place where you bough a house otherwise go by foot or airship.

Kater

Banned
Haha I still haven't bought any house yet! That would have been convenient, I must say...
Houses become when as soon as you can make awesome new stuff as carpenter/tailor to decorate them. I would recommend buying at least the one in
Al Maajik, Port Puerto and maybe Levitania.

Louisa, right? I thought this was Pam at first, haha. They should maybe have changed her hair color. Maybe she should go talk to Florina about that :D
Yeah, that's the one I mean. It's probably just Pam pretending to be someone else. Maybe she killed the real Louisa and took her place in the village. D:
I never trusted her, good for me that I never ate her candy or else I would have possibly died because she poisoned them!
kidding, yo :p

I do use a lot of life aids, sp potions and stuff like that. Does any of you use those supplements to temporary make you stronger in some aspects? So far I never felt the need to use them to be honest.
I used a few Angelic Remedies and one other potion I can't remember the name of (It costs 6000 and is available only on Origin Island, raises all your stats temporarily) in my fight against the
Hell Gigante
on Origin Island.

That's why I keep telling people that this game has nothing to do with Animal Crossing. The house customization is just a bonus, not a full-fledged feature that's an integral part of the gameplay.

Actually it kinda reminds me of those secret bases in the Pokemon series.
I feel like they are becoming more and more important the more furniture you can make yourself. Sure, you could buy a bed too but it's not your own work, that's why I never bothered with them until I reached some ranks as a Tailor (and now as a Carpenter) and could make some neat little chairs and pirate tables and all that stuff.

Zing

Banned
Finally at Port Puerto (or whatever it's called). I'm an adept cook, miner, paladin, and blacksmith. I'm level 14 and everything is far too easy to kill. I take zero damage from pretty much everything but the boss monsters, even without blocking. The lava caves actually do some damage to me, so maybe I'll explore there, although I only have one quest for that area.

I'm going to buy that mansion tonight. I should be okay on money even after spending that much. Every quest seems to give a ton of dosh. Unneeded crafted items also sell for a lot. For example, my extra iron armor sold for 1500 or something.

Kater

Banned
Seems like I'm experiencing a glitch(Or maybe not?). I'm a Hero Carpenter and should be able to make Starry Beams but I'm still not able to do that. Or am I missing something? Really weird.

Edit:

Nevermind, got the recipe from the beaver. I leave this without a spoiler tag so that others can see it and are spared being confused about why they miss a recipe. ;)

Kandinsky

zagJBxe.jpg

Joining the party, originally it was going to be 3 copies but my older kid had "0 interest in that game" so :/. He will suffer for his sins tho
notrly

rdaneel72

Man, the wait for this game has been agonizing enough. Europe getting it a month before NA, and me lurking through this entire thread, reading every post, soaking up every detail I could absorb. Trying to discern what was happening in screenshots in a language I don't speak. Brutal!

Now, Amazon has really screwed me over. Pre-ordered the damn game, but when they offered me free-shipping, I took it. BIG MISTAKE!

Game shipped FedEx on Thurs 10/23, from Phoenix, to Denver, where it is now, apparently being handed to USPS for final delivery. Estimated delivery date is Friday, 10/31!!!!

I freaking live in Albuquerque, a six hour drive from Phoenix!!! How does it take FedEx and the USPS 8 days to ship something 400 miles?!?!?! My wife ordered some stuff from the UK that didn't take that long to arrive.

Forgive this diatribe. Just really want to play this game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't mind those other jobs being left out (the game is already plenty huge), but it would have been neat to have some different-feeling jobs than the ones we have now that all fall into a few archetypes. Stuff like Treasure Hunter, Merchant, and Farmer would have fit right into the core gameplay loop but still would have felt distinct.

Something to look forward to in a sequel, I suppose :)

Ventara

So guys, I'm thinking I should finally allocate some of my skill points. I plan to 100% this game, so what's the best attribute to dump my points into? Maybe Luck to get materials more easily? Or Strenght?

Edit: Right now, my favorite jobs are Hunter, Woodcutter, Miner and Angler. I want to go with the one that's most beneficial. I'm not sure which one that's be.

Brakke

Banned
I dunno, folks, I'm not really feeling it yet. I started as a Wizard, I just unlocked the grassy plains area. Thought I'd go out and bop some monsters and combat is super lame. I ran down my energy most immediately and there's only one or two things I can do at any time. I suppose that's not really the point of the game, to go forth and murder, but I'm a little worried that it's actively lame?

Ventara

lbktVXd.jpg

Postman
Mechanic
Pilot
Scholar
Treasure Hunter
Fortune Teller
Merchant
Farmer

In my veins, please!!

I missed this post, but wow, those jobs would have been awesome. I'm definitely hoping they use them in a sequel. Though, I'm not sure what a Fortune Teller or a Scholar would do gameplay-wise.

I dunno, folks, I'm not really feeling it yet. I started as a Wizard, I just unlocked the grassy plains area. Thought I'd go out and bop some monsters and combat is super lame. I ran down my energy most immediately and there's only one or two things I can do at any time. I suppose that's not really the point of the game, to go forth and murder, but I'm a little worried that it's actively lame?

I would highly recommend you unlock the other jobs as well. It's essential, unless you want to be stuck to doing only 1/10 of what you can do. This way, you can mine/fish/chop as you explore. Also, try the Hunter class as your fighting job. It's faster and doesn't use SP for normal attacks.

Better late than never!

typhoonbird.png

Here's the final video from last week's multiplayer session with Chaos17: God special requests 1

We took down 3 of the 4 combat bosses, some of the coolest (and strongest) bosses in the game : )

Pictured is Typhoon Bird, the Hunter boss.

Kater

Banned
After gaining the God rank in my Magician Life I traveled back to Jinx
and got told that a Pumpking is somewhere in the woods. Tells me to talk to to her again for more info but then she tells me nothing more, even though the exclamation mark remains above her head.
Any help would be appreciated, can't find anything with a Google search.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Any money making tips for someone early game (about 13 hours in)? There's probably some cool tricks I haven't figured out yet.

Crafting (anything) can help. A lot of times stuff you make will conveniently be needed by various quest givers, or you can just sell the stuff as well, and you get more money if it's a higher quality item. Another thing to do is find a bounty enemy you can kill easily, turn it in, then leave the area and come back. Usually they'll be back, and you can just keep repeating it. You can also sell the items you get from the bounty as well. It's even easier once you can recruit allies, since you can just corner whatever it is and unleash lol

After gaining the God rank in my Magician Life I traveled back to Jinx
and got told that a Pumpking is somewhere in the woods. Tells me to talk to to her again for more info but then she tells me nothing more, even though the exclamation mark remains above her head.
Any help would be appreciated, can't find anything with a Google search.

Strange, she literally tells you nothing? Are you in the middle of the quest and can you decline the quest?

Either way, the
Pumpking is in deep Elderwoods, where the Wraith used to be.

Kater

Banned
Strange, she literally tells you nothing? Are you in the middle of the quest and can you decline the quest?

Either way, the
Pumpking is in deep Elderwoods, where the Wraith used to be.
Am I blind today? Haha

Checked back and first speech option was the Quest about the
Pumpking
Thought the first option was still the Challenges check, was so used to it.

Whoo, reached God in everything!

Cook was definitely the hardest... If you have the DLC, make sure to get those badges that enhance skill growth after beating the game.

Brakke

Banned
I would highly recommend you unlock the other jobs as well. It's essential, unless you want to be stuck to doing only 1/10 of what you can do. This way, you can mine/fish/chop as you explore. Also, try the Hunter class as your fighting job. It's faster and doesn't use SP for normal attacks.

How do? Should I just mainline the "story" I guess? The multiple jobs system is super unclear when you start out...

Zing

Banned
Any money making tips for someone early game (about 13 hours in)? There's probably some cool tricks I haven't figured out yet.
I reached 30k just from doing quests in the first town and selling a few crafted items. I crafted or gathered everything I use and wear, except for some cooking ingredients.

Unless by money making you mean hundreds of thousands.

Kater

Banned
I reached 30k just from doing quests in the first town and selling a few crafted items. I crafted or gathered everything I use and wear, except for some cooking ingredients.

Unless by money making you mean hundreds of thousands.
Tailoring alone got me to a million Dosh. It's very lucrative.

Chaos17

zagJBxe.jpg

Joining the party, originally it was going to be 3 copies but my older kid had "0 interest in that game" so :/. He will suffer for his sins tho
notrly
Welcome to the club :)

Man, the wait for this game has been agonizing enough. Europe getting it a month before NA, and me lurking through this entire thread, reading every post, soaking up every detail I could absorb. Trying to discern what was happening in screenshots in a language I don't speak. Brutal!

Now, Amazon has really screwed me over. Pre-ordered the damn game, but when they offered me free-shipping, I took it. BIG MISTAKE!

Game shipped FedEx on Thurs 10/23, from Phoenix, to Denver, where it is now, apparently being handed to USPS for final delivery. Estimated delivery date is Friday, 10/31!!!!

I freaking live in Albuquerque, a six hour drive from Phoenix!!! How does it take FedEx and the USPS 8 days to ship something 400 miles?!?!?! My wife ordered some stuff from the UK that didn't take that long to arrive.

Forgive this diatribe. Just really want to play this game.
Oh man, I hope you will receive it without anymore delay.

So guys, I'm thinking I should finally allocate some of my skill points. I plan to 100% this game, so what's the best attribute to dump my points into? Maybe Luck to get materials more easily? Or Strenght?

Edit: Right now, my favorite jobs are Hunter, Woodcutter, Miner and Angler. I want to go with the one that's most beneficial. I'm not sure which one that's be.
You can do a rainbow build, this game won't nerf or punish you.
Also with DLC you've the freedom to spend 500 stats points so ne fear to test what you like.
If one day you want to make a more optimized character, no problem! You will be able to reset stat.

If you still want to know about stats allocations, I suggest you to read this : http://fantasy-life.wikia.com/wiki/Stats

That's totally normal.
Mage is one the class that has a difficult start because of the MP running out.
That would be wise to think about getting alchemy to make your own cheap MP potion.
More you will advance in your rank more the class will deliver with it's AoE spells.
More INT point you will put in your stat more SP regen you will have.

You can check that video to get a glimpse about high level mage playstyle : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dDmjzBeKIc&list=UUBnzfxCBwmVRm0lVSUX4Gww

But if you don't like that playstyle you can try other jobs.
For example, if you like ranged, archer is good. Same as mage but without the MP problem. This game is good for bashing mobs but with a good luck so monsters will drop more often their loots so you won't have to spend money to buy them, haha.

How do? Should I just mainline the "story" I guess? The multiple jobs system is super unclear when you start out...
Go to the guild office, the place where you received your first license card.
You can change whenever you want class outside of story (when you will see message "Explore Reveria") and co-op.
Also try to read carefully the tutorials, they do explain eveything to you about the basics of the game.

QrNsM7Z.jpg

Ventara

Thanks Chaos17 for the info, if I can reset stats, then I guess I'll just spread out my points. As you mentioned the game doesn't seem difficult, so I guess I'll be okay with that.

Will probably stick with Woodcutter/Miner since they get 3 bags instead of 2 when getting materials.

As long as you're not in the middle of a story section (the screen will have something like "Explore Reveria"), go to the Guild and change your Life at the desk. You're free to play out the tutorial section (I did them since they have some nice story bits) or just skip them and acquire the job skill. Once you're a Fledgling in that Life, it means you have the skill in that job and can continue to use it in other jobs.

I hope i explained that well enough. im not too good at wxplaining things myself, lol. And yeah, the game definitely could have done a better job at this. It makes it seem like it's okay to just keep at one Life, but you actually need to do (or at least start) every Life so that you can, well, DO things in the game.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
This thread officially broke me down...... The mediocre reviews kept my interest @ bay but all the positive comments in here......the cute screenshots.....
I've seen some complaints about excessive dialog, but for me that was actually a bonus, I love reading NPC chatter in rpgs......
I think the thing that REALLY got me was when someone mentioned that a sassy butterfly tags along for the adventure. Lord have mercy, I knew I had to play this game @ that point

Had to check several stores, but found a lone copy @ Toys'R'Us of all places, everyone else in my area (Manitoba) is sold out. Game is either doing really well or had a low print run O_O did NOT want to miss out! :D

Chaos17

Better late than never!

typhoonbird.png

Here's the final video from last week's multiplayer session with Chaos17: God special requests 1

We took down 3 of the 4 combat bosses, some of the coolest (and strongest) bosses in the game : )

Pictured is Typhoon Bird, the Hunter boss.

That Typhoon bird has the coolest skills I have seen in the game *_*

This thread officially broke me down...... The mediocre reviews kept my interest @ bay but all the positive comments in here......the cute screenshots.....
I've seen some complaints about excessive dialog, but for me that was actually a bonus, I love reading NPC chatter in rpgs......
I think the thing that REALLY got me was when someone mentioned that a sassy butterfly tags along for the adventure. Lord have mercy, I knew I had to play this game @ that point

Had to check several stores, but found a lone copy @ Toys'R'Us of all places, everyone else in my area (Manitoba) is sold out. Game is either doing really well or had a low print run O_O did NOT want to miss out! :D
There's also the possibily that this game is so underrated that some store don't beleive in it.
Because I just read someone on Gamefaq today saying that he had to ask the clerk of his shop about the game and that clerck only had 1 copy of it.
But then things turned around one week later and the game was properly displayed in the shop.

Oh yeah and I will never trust anymore reviewers, this game showed how a none hyped game like Fantasy life could be so much misterstood.
I'm not saying that game is perfect, but certinaly not worth the worst rate on Metacritic : 30.
I'm happy that you prefered to believe in players who really play the game.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
That Typhoon bird has the coolest skills I have seen in the game *_*

There's also the possibily that this game is so underrated that some store don't beleive in it.
Because I just read someone on Gamefaq today saying that he had to ask the clerk of his shop about the game and that clerck only had 1 copy of it.
But then things turned around one week later and the game was properly displayed in the shop.

Oh yeah and I will never trust anymore reviewers, this game showed how a none hyped game like Fantasy life could be so much misterstood.

haha I was reading the impressions on here and on Gamefaqs too! The comparisons to Dragon Quest 9 got me too.

I agree about reviewers, they really cannot be trusted. Didn't some flop give this a 30/100?? Just watching the gameplay videos on YouTube I could tell there is no way that could be correct.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The mercenary's master song is the best thing i've seen so far lol

I gotta do that one soon. I was going to try to master one of the crafting classes tonight since I've been neglecting those, but maybe after that.

Top Bottom