• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Anybody else start out with cook lol?

It's pretty fun so far

Me :) It was a fun, lucrative starting job. I spent the first day or two as just a cook before trying out the other classes.

Anyone have any favorites in terms of NPCs for their party? Lately all I do is take out my bird, Dog, and that's it. Keep thinking I should up my friendship with someone else but I really don't know who is cool to take and who is a waste since there's so many now. :/

I saw the first post had some suggestions but those seem like people you don't get till later on. I only just wrapped up chapter two.

I've played with them a bit but usually prefer going out on my own instead of letting the NPCs do the fighting for me. Hopefully this won't be too much of a hinderance later on :/

BooJoh

So you can only use your mount from stables? You can't call them from anywhere? I've only unlocked turtle mounts so far.

They work like an airship in a lot of RPGs, they'll stay wherever you left them until you come back to get them, but you can also go to a stable to call them there. So if you dismount to enter a cave and go in and fight for a while, when you get out of the cave your horse will still be waiting there.

They work like an airship in a lot of RPGs, they'll stay wherever you left them until you come back to get them, but you can also go to a stable to call them there. So if you dismount to enter a cave and go in and fight for a while, when you get out of the cave your horse will still be waiting there.
This is only for your personal mount though. (Or special DLC ones.) The ones you rent will go back to the stables of you leave them alone for a while.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Ugh, this whole time I thought an evil carp would be one of the bigger, different looking fish. It's a normal shadow -_-

ryushe

So, is this game any good?

I know, silly thing to ask in the ot, but I've been watching Gameplay video/streams of it and it looks neat, but nothing more than that... But then again, I said the same about Animal Crossing New Leaf before it savagely took over my life for a few months...

So yeah, how's the rpg aspect to it? I'm not expecting a great story and honestly, I'd prefer if the story was as lite as possible, but only if there's great content.

So, is this game any good?

I know, silly thing to ask in the ot, but I've been watching Gameplay video/streams of it and it looks neat, but nothing more than that... But then again, I said the same about Animal Crossing New Leaf before it savagely took over my life for a few months...

So yeah, how's the rpg aspect to it? I'm not expecting a great story and honestly, I'd prefer if the story was as lite as possible, but only if there's great content.

There's a ton of content, and a lot of it just feels really good to dive into. Can't really tell you "why" you should get this game, but if you enjoy big worlds full of things to find, kill, and harvest then you'll probably like this too. The rpg elements are broken down into, essentially;

skill in certain activities: Sneaking, crafting(especially crafting sub skills like blacksmithing>armorsmithing), weapons specific skills, etc.

Stat distrobution

Equipment.

And handling that is all left up to you. At the very top end multiplayer is a wonderful and you can do some really satisfying things in a party, but absolutely don't need one to do any of this content.

Man, they really had a lot of stuff made for the "cut" jobs and they hint at it sooooooooooo much. Every NPC is unique and most of them make very suggestive comments.

Hopefully they'll get their chance in Fantasy Life 2.

Edit: DAMN, Nox is ugly. >_<

Chaos17

I guess I would just prefer a more focused experience. It seems to be scatterbrained either due to too much content or having key elements cut out. I Have 19 hours under my belt and I'm going to take a break. Paraphrasing a post from someone else earlier in this thread, "I just wish the game would let me play".
I don't have the same feeling because I'm at 170+ hours of the gameplay where I'm just a bot.
The only NPCS who "talk" to me now are the quests villagers.

Where're my social links and ultimate Dark void demon of doom with my cliché ending *sigh*

I just realized there are bonuses with the DLC even before you finish the game. I must have missed that in the OP the first time I read through it. Is it worth purchasing the DLC now instead of waiting until I finish the main story? I'm about 20 hours in at this point, and a few chapters into the main story. I was originally planning to purchase it after I beat the main story since I thought that's the only time it would add anything.

Things you get at the start:
Extra character customization
Friendship system (allows NPCs to become friends with you and fighting better)
Pet Birds and Dragons
2 new houses

Things unlocked after the main story:
A new area Origin Island with it's own story
New materials, equipment and recipes
God rank
New home and furniture
Lunares coins and the items you get from them
Level cap increased from 99 to 200
Level cap for the skills increased from 15 to 20
Stats cap increased from 50 to 100

Source : http://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyLife3...ntil_end_game/

Anyone have any favorites in terms of NPCs for their party? Lately all I do is take out my bird, Dog, and that's it. Keep thinking I should up my friendship with someone else but I really don't know who is cool to take and who is a waste since there's so many now. :/

I saw the first post had some suggestions but those seem like people you don't get till later on. I only just wrapped up chapter two.
I'm fan of
Odin
, he is so awesome. I wish I could level him up but unfortunaly his stats are capped.

You guys actually use allies? Maybe I just don't need them due to being a well armed and armoured paladin.
That's normal, you're only at Port Puerto.
Difficulty will raise and challenges will ask you to take on bosses.
NPC are of course not obligatory but they do help more you advance in the game.

So you can only use your mount from stables? You can't call them from anywhere? I've only unlocked turtle mounts so far.
Yes, but when you get your own mount, you can use it from any stables and it will wait for you.
Pretty convenient for exploration.

Can you respec at all? Also what am I supposed to do with food, sell it?
It's an alternative of potions if you want something more original to regen HP or MP.
It also gave you buffs in early game.

AvOvF2q.jpg

That's a pretty interesting question.

In terms of usefulness, I really like
Odin, Miguel, Cervantes and Celestia
. Man, those guys are so ahead of the others.
Erik and Ophelia
are nuts too.

I like
Yuelia
too, although her healing is a bit hit and miss sometimes, but it's better than no healing I guess.

For aesthetics or personality, I like bringing along Leilah and/or Monika. They're not very good, but at least they don't get in the way : P

cackhyena

So I'm a little into chapter 3 here. I have no desire to take any characters with me, though. The one time I had to so far, she would aggro everything when I didn't want that. Should I be paying more attention to these characters? Any places I can't go without there help?

So I'm a little into chapter 3 here. I have no desire to take any characters with me, though. The one time I had to so far, she would aggro everything when I didn't want that. Should I be paying more attention to these characters? Any places I can't go without there help?

Nah, you're fine without NPCs.

NPCs only aggro monsters if your weapon is drawn.

Grizzo

Note that once you have your own named horse you can saddle him up from any mount rental stable, not just Castele. This will let you get beyond the towns and to the other wilderness areas with him.

I do have my own horse, I'm just saying that I can't go anywhere with it.

Like, when trying to enter Elderwood, it just hits an invisible wall, starts to neigh and turns around. It's annoying.

Mind you, I didn't try going to Port Puerto with it but I just assumed it would do the same.

This made me laugh more than it should. It's only missing the big orange penguin saying "You've been banned because..."

68h in, Hero Paladin/Mercenary/Hunter/Mage/Cook/Carpenter/Miner/Angler/Lumberjack, Master Blacksmith/Alchemist, haven't touched Tailor. Once I Heroe'd everyone I'll advance the story, I'm in no really hurry to know how the game "ends" :p

Machine

I was trying to get every life up to expert level BEFORE going to Al Maajik but I don't think it's possible. There are adept alchemist and carpenter quests which require materials that it seems I can only find once I get there.

gerudoman

* Oh, I think you haven't unlocked the "Get your "own" horse" bonus yet. The ones that get rented are not able to go to certain places, no idea why. Buddy horses can be named and can go to more places.

I still don't have it, does it unlock after the three pets bonus?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was trying to get every life up to expert level BEFORE going to Al Maajik but I don't think it's possible. There are adept alchemist and carpenter quests which require materials that it seems I can only find once I get there.

You can barely do Alchemy before then.

Carpentry can also be done if you skip ahead and do Mangrove furniture.

I ended up staying up waaay too late last night because a couple of classes accidentily hit Master with. Carpentry and Woodcutting. Just barely in the desert too.

Hmmm... should I stick to only putting in NA codes into my game or both EU and NA... *ponders* Was trying to be good and only put them in as they are released.

Niraj

That one was harder to find than the king salmon in New Leaf. Damn.

I wasted a ton of time using the inn or leaving and coming back just because I thought it was one of the big ones :/ then I thought about it and gave it a shot, and sure enough, normal fish.

Kater

Banned
This made me laugh more than it should. It's only missing the big orange penguin saying "You've been banned because..."

68h in, Hero Paladin/Mercenary/Hunter/Mage/Cook/Carpenter/Miner/Angler/Lumberjack, Master Blacksmith/Alchemist, haven't touched Tailor. Once I Heroe'd everyone I'll advance the story, I'm in no really hurry to know how the game "ends" :p
I didn't know about "Club Penguin" until I just googled it. Seems like a game you play when you want to trick a really strict censorship with leet speech or some made up curse words. :D

Oh, and if you want to have good equipment as a Magician then the only way to get one is getting Legend/God-in-Training rank as a Tailor.

UK version
Edit : changed pictures after correction

French version
I like the "Fiery Fiend" costume set the most.

miIwzSx.jpg

Zing

Banned
I played a bit more and had some fun, until I hit the story wall again. It's almost too overwhelming for me, since everything hits at once. Boom, you now have a whole new area to explore, a ton of bliss quests, and rows of paladin/blacksmith/miner quests all at once. Oh and they are scattered throughout the world.

I decided to see how the other side lives and started up a new Mage. I have no idea why they renamed it "wizard" in North America. I guess since we like Harry Potter we only know them as wizards. Although they left the magician and sorcerer jokes in the game dialog. I reached adept level and advanced the story up to west plains.

It's unsettling how the game is essentially put on hold when you start a story quest line. I thought I'd be able to complete my life quests in the plains cave when I did that section of the story, but I couldn't because the cave was barren. The game didn't present the normal inhabitants until after I completed the story quests. You also can't use a pet.

I'm having fun having a pet for a change. I have a pet with my paladin, but any allies are just baggage with him. I thought the Mage would be able to better use allies and I was right. My cat faints rather easily, though. He gets the job done. A shame I can't train him or at least give him food or heal him.

I may try Angler with the Mage. Give me something else to do while I'm running around. I tested alchemist, but there seems to be not point, even up to chapter four. There are all these accessories you can make or buy, but the charms I receive as gifts from quests seem better than anything else I've seen. The quests give you so much money and items that I never even need to cook my own food, so my time as a cook seems wasted. I could just buy what I need if I ever need it.

Considering that the game seems designed for players to have multiple lives, the difficulty should ramp in some fashion. With all the experience I get outside of the story, I am undoubtedly overpowered. I am level 22 and kill everything with ease. It makes combat boring. I am also able to mine everything except those huge crystals easily. Even those are possible if I were to try with decent SP potions. I got one down halfway before running out of SP. I decided to wait until later just to give me something to do in the future.

I wish there were two separate slots for "armor" and "cosmetics." I find myself wanting to wear some of these costumes around but I don't really want to give up my better armor to do that.

Unless there is a way to do it and I'm missing it? :)

So I'm currently at port puerto and realizing I am pretty weak in the damage department. Do you guys recommend mercenary, paladin, or hunter for an upgrade from my iron dagger?

**Caught my first boss fish, that was pretty cool :O

Niraj

My main (minor) annoyances with the game:

-The keyboard is awful. None of these people have heard of QWERTY? lol

-I wish after you crafted something you could go and look at your challenges/quests instead of exiting out and then checking. I know before you start there's an option to check them, but it would be nice if you could check after you've crafted something. Maybe I'm just missing the option though.

-I wish that your equipment would be saved for each Life. When I switch back to angler, it'd be nice if the hero equipment was already equipped instead of having to reequip everything. Same thing with weapons when you're using a class specific weapon, it just leaves you unarmed.

Those are fairly minor, but those are the only things that have really bothered me so far. As has been mentioned, it's also weird how the story assumes you've never been to locations you've already likely been to many times, but the story is pretty negligible as it is, so it doesn't bother me too much.

So I'm currently at port puerto and realizing I am pretty weak in the damage department. Do you guys recommend mercenary, paladin, or hunter for an upgrade from my iron dagger?

**Caught my first boss fish, that was pretty cool :O

I think paladin is pretty nice since you can equip a shield too, but mercenary can do a ton of damage. It's very easy to get hit though when you're doing the 4 or 5 hit combos since your attacks are pretty slow.

I'm having fun having a pet for a change. I have a pet with my paladin, but any allies are just baggage with him. I thought the Mage would be able to better use allies and I was right. My cat faints rather easily, though. He gets the job done. A shame I can't train him or at least give him food or heal him.

You can heal allies with healing powder or maxheal dust, so I'm assuming you'd be able to heal your pet with those as well.

Linius

It's kind of weird, sometimes the game does indeed save my clothes. And sometimes I'm practically naked when I switch lives.

tuffy

It's kind of weird, sometimes the game does indeed save my clothes. And sometimes I'm practically naked when I switch lives.
Presumably if the new life can still wear the gear you have on, you keep it. But if your current armor isn't compatible with your new life, it gets stripped off.

Linius

Presumably if the new life can still wear the gear you have on, you keep it. But if your current armor isn't compatible with your new life, it gets stripped off.

Nah, I switched to Angler and I was wearing my angler hero outfit again. Stuff like that. Not the same clothes, actually the clothes I was wearing in that life earlier on.

Niraj

Nah, I switched to Angler and I was wearing my angler hero outfit again. Stuff like that. Not the same clothes, actually the clothes I was wearing in that life earlier on.

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it makes me reequip every time I switch and switch back.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This game is a stupid amount of enjoyment.

Level 17; an apprentice in mining, logging, fishing, cooking; an adept at smithing; a fledgling at carpentry; and I haven't even made it to the western grassy plains yet, story-wise.

Oh well. I'll get around to it eventually. Once I've gotten a solid start at all 12 Lifes...

This game is a stupid amount of enjoyment.

Level 17; an apprentice in mining, logging, fishing, cooking; an adept at smithing; a fledgling at carpentry; and I haven't even made it to the western grassy plains yet, story-wise.

Oh well. I'll get around to it eventually. Once I've gotten a solid start at all 12 Lifes...

I made it to apprentice in every life before going to the western grassy plains. It is pure fun just leveling the lives and not even progressing the story at all to me.

Top Bottom