• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

I made it to apprentice in every life before going to the western grassy plains. It is pure fun just leveling the lives and not even progressing the story at all to me.

I did that expect for the other three combat classes I didn't choose.

Hell, I still haven't finished showing the butterfly the town yet, lol

Yeah I am trying to get to Expert now on them all before moving the story along any more. I am at Port Puerto now but haven't done much there aside from get materials for crafting.

Kater

Banned
Does anyone know what special effects the Ancient Stone gives a tool you craft as a Blacksmith?
My main (minor) annoyances with the game:

-The keyboard is awful. None of these people have heard of QWERTY? lol
Or QUERTZ in Europe.

But yeah, it slows down communications a lot. Wish the buttons were a bit bigger too.

daydream

Banned
A better keyboard would be nice but longer messages would be the real megaton.

Also, more gestures. :D~~

QUERTZ? Which Euro peasants use that? QWERTY is the way man.

I think Gato meant QWERTZ which is standard for German-speaking countries (and some other ones, I think).

Apparently French keyboards have AZERTY in the corner. Figure that one out!

Linius

Oh, I had no idea German keyboards are different.

EDIT

Oh wait, I actually do know about AZERTY. A Belgian guy I know has that too. He can't type for shit on my keyboard.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Or QUERTZ in Europe.

But yeah, it slows down communications a lot. Wish the buttons were a bit bigger too.

Yeah, that would be nice too. I tend to try to use my fingers so I don't lose my stylus somewhere (which happens way too often to me...one time it was in my shirt pocket and I didn't realize it for a couple hours -_-), but it's kind of unwieldy for that.

Linius

The lost stylus, I know that feel bro.

So this is my usual position playing 3DS games.

UJARhI4.gif

See the resemblance? Cool as fuck

Kater

Banned
Yeah, that would be nice too. I tend to try to use my fingers so I don't lose my stylus somewhere (which happens way too often to me...one time it was in my shirt pocket and I didn't realize it for a couple hours -_-), but it's kind of unwieldy for that.
I think I am at my seventh Stylus now in only one year. Some games require one, like this one, because developers don't cater to people with thumbs thicker as a pencil, apparently. :D

The lost stylus, I know that feel bro.

So this is my usual position playing 3DS games.

UJARhI4.gif

See the resemblance? Cool as fuck
You need to squint a little bit more for the Clint Eastwood look. ;D

Kater

Banned
Oh yeah Pam, sure. I just get you a
Magic Power Orb
. Of course.

From the creature that one-hits all my companions and me with one fell swoop. Yeah, yup, mh-hm. 😡

Adamator

I'm a little fuzzy on this games multiplayer. Can you chat in game while playing online multiplayer?

If anyone wants to add me as a friend, I will do the same. PM me if you add me!

4441-8318-5739

This game is a stupid amount of enjoyment.

Level 17; an apprentice in mining, logging, fishing, cooking; an adept at smithing; a fledgling at carpentry; and I haven't even made it to the western grassy plains yet, story-wise.

Oh well. I'll get around to it eventually. Once I've gotten a solid start at all 12 Lifes...
This is what I'm doing too, and I'm loving every minute.

zigg

So how the heck do named magic attacks work? I was wandering around, throwing ice balls and raining icicles down on things, and then the ground started to glow and I eventually unleashed some heavenly ice ball or something. It had a name; I forget what. I did something to do that, right?

Kater

Banned
So how the heck do named magic attacks work? I was wandering around, throwing ice balls and raining icicles down on things, and then the ground started to glow and I eventually unleashed some heavenly ice ball or something. It had a name; I forget what. I did something to do that, right?
That was the Magicians special skill. Just like every other fighting class, magicians can unleash a heavy-hitting attack on their enemies when the special skill gauge is filled up and glowing.

zigg

That was the Magicians special skill. Just like every other fighting class, magicians can unleash a heavy-hitting attack on their enemies when the special skill gauge is filled up and glowing.
Oh, I see… I had no idea I had a special skill gauge 😒 Thanks!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So torn on the writing in this game. On the one hand, there's SO MUCH of it, and it's really ... inefficient, I guess the word might be? To accomplish virtually anything in the story you'll have several character interludes, travel back and forth between two spots repeatedly, interject several asides, and so-on.

But it's also really charming and well done, and puts a smile on my face a lot more often than most RPGs manage.

I didn't skip any of the Life training missions because I like all those story bits and character interludes, but I still have a hard time getting past the pages and pages of dialogue it always takes to get into one little fight.

Ventara

So I bought the DLC, and it's kinda annoying that the DLC is already on the cart and just locked away. Well, I guess it's better than downloading it.

Anyways, I've finally reached Puerto Porto, but I think I'll try to focus on the story and unlock Al Magiik before doing my exploring, since I seem to have a lot of requests that require that area as well.

Niraj

Got to master or higher in everything now. Wizard/magician was pretty rough since I haven't put many points into intelligence, plus all the SP you use up. Song was nice though, it made up for it. I think I'll give that golden swordfish another go, and then progress the story.

Zing

Banned
You can heal allies with healing powder or maxheal dust, so I'm assuming you'd be able to heal your pet with those as well.
Oh shit. I actually have a vague memory of seeing an ally get healed during battle and thinking "oh the game must just automatically heal whoever is lowest in HP. I didn't think to actually try that while playing!

Maybe now my earth magic will go up. I haven't touched it at all yet.

So torn on the writing in this game. On the one hand, there's SO MUCH of it, and it's really ... inefficient, I guess the word might be? To accomplish virtually anything in the story you'll have several character interludes, travel back and forth between two spots repeatedly, interject several asides, and so-on.

But it's also really charming and well done, and puts a smile on my face a lot more often than most RPGs manage.

I didn't skip any of the Life training missions because I like all those story bits and character interludes, but I still have a hard time getting past the pages and pages of dialogue it always takes to get into one little fight.

There is the occasional funny line, but the writing is overall very weak, mostly due to the structure of the game. If you have hundreds of speaking characters, it's gonna be very difficult to develop any of them beyond the most superficial level. If the quests can be done in any order, it's impossible to progress a coherent plot.

Of course, the main story, which is linear and doesn't involve so many characters really isn't very good either. I think the problem in games like these is that the writers are swamped with writing dialog for 90,000 fetch quests and just don't have time to do a good job on the important parts.

Niraj

Oh shit. I actually have a vague memory of seeing an ally get healed during battle and thinking "oh the game must just automatically heal whoever is lowest in HP. I didn't think to actually try that while playing!

Maybe now my earth magic will go up. I haven't touched it at all yet.

If you lead allies away from an enemy and they're standing still (generally), they'll heal themselves with potions.

leehom

What's ya'lls overall opinion of this game so far? I picked it up on the whim because there wasn't anything I wanted to go with BB GCU promo.

I made a character with the demon horns hair style, ha. Haven't progressed past that yet, in my home and some female wants me to get the mail.

Niraj

zlCfzSmfdJAggyPHg7

Woo! Finally caught him.

What's ya'lls overall opinion of this game so far? I picked it up on the whim because there wasn't anything I wanted to go with BB GCU promo.

I made a character with the demon horns hair style, ha. Haven't progressed past that yet, in my home and some female wants me to get the mail.

I'm really loving it so far. Perfect kind of game for me.

DryvBy

I've walked around for a good bit this morning. Where is the library?

edit: Found it. It was literally outside the castle, not outside the town's walls.

I wish I could carry more than 3 bounties. I was having a lot of fun exploring this cave. :(

zlCfzSmc8NE0K4TsMv

The stupid bat destroyed one of the bounties, lol.

Bonus:

zlCfzSmb21I2mYj9Rk

Kater

Banned
QVzX1ma.jpg

CK77WpC.jpg

I really need to up my strength by ten or more points, aren't I? Ugh, and here I thought I'd focus on Dexterity and Intelligence for now but I need my Carpenter recipes to make new stuff for my houses. 😣

What a dilemma.

Impotaku

If you have enough decent SP potions you can kind of cheat. Keep using your charge chop and when you run out of SP quickly cancel cutting and use a potion the trees energy slowly refils but on higher trees it refills pretty fast but if you are quick enough you can resume chopping before it's totally recovered.

Grizzo

QVzX1ma.jpg

CK77WpC.jpg

I really need to up my strength by ten or more points, aren't I? Ugh, and here I thought I'd focus on Dexterity and Intelligence for now but I need my Carpenter recipes to make new stuff for my houses. 😣

What a dilemma.

yo Gato, could we maybe team up with Daydreaming again this weekend to kill the Typhoon Bird? It's my ultimate Hunter challenge :D

TheMoon

You know, this is the one game where I've spent 13 or so hours on what amounts to tutorials and haven't even gone farther out than the very first area and I'm absolutely loving it. If this were all there there is to it, I'd be loving it still lol.

Zing

Banned
What is the purpose of sneaking? I skipped Hunter tutorial and still have no idea why would I sneak to monsters instead of running.
Not all of the lives can fight very well. It allows gathering classes to sneak through dungeons and such. For example, as a Miner, there are ore nodes guarded by boss monsters. I am able to sneak past and mine in peace.

You know, this is the one game where I've spent 13 or so hours on what amounts to tutorials and haven't even gone farther out than the very first area and I'm absolutely loving it. If this were all there there is to it, I'd be loving it still lol.
I was the same way until I reached the second area. It felt like I had freedom to what I wanted and there were plenty of areas to explore. The area around the second town didn't seem the same, and I felt the story hurried me along a bit.

I'm level 22 and headed to the third town.

Kater

Banned
If you have enough decent SP potions you can kind of cheat. Keep using your charge chop and when you run out of SP quickly cancel cutting and use a potion the trees energy slowly refils but on higher trees it refills pretty fast but if you are quick enough you can resume chopping before it's totally recovered.
Doesn't work with the really strong trees though, maybe something like a Strength charm or something that refills my SP automatically over a period of time mixed with some Miracle potions could do the trick though. For that I would need to get a higher rank as an Alchemist though. Basically, I need to become the God-Gladstone (God in all Lifes) to get everything that I need to chop down a fancy golden tree.

yo Gato, could we maybe team up with Daydreaming again this weekend to kill the Typhoon Bird? It's my ultimate Hunter challenge :D
I'm in, just tell me when. (Hopefully not today/tonight though with Halloween and all that happening)
Tomorrow evening would be totally fine with me though.

Zing

Banned
So that's what sneaking is for. I just kill everything between me and my goal. No mercy.
Not so easy when the thing between you and your goal is a Pickaxe Golem.

I'm curious what level you guys who are starting each life before progressing the story are hitting? I was level six just from three lives. Doing nothing but completing my life quests got me level 19 before I visited the port.

Also, I have a request:
Before the game was released here, there were several official images posted that gave suggestions of life combinations. For example, angler/cook/mercenary. I suspect these were posted by NoE and probably on their Facebook. Anyone have a link to these type of images or remember where they were from? I'm curious what combinations they suggested. I only remember the mercenary and paladin/blacksmith/miner combo.

Top Bottom