• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
is the blacksmith class the hardest to get top quality items on? for some reason, im barely getting good quality items out of smithing

Lexxism

So I'm currently at Tortuga Archipelago hunting great palm tree. Already cut two, cash in and yet I'm still in progress? Damn. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Kater

Banned
is the blacksmith class the hardest to get top quality items on? for some reason, im barely getting good quality items out of smithing
It's hard if you lack some of the skills you need for it (Focus & Vitality). For example, I lack Focus (it's at 10 because I never needed it in the other Lifes) and now I can barely just make a good quality item as a Blacksmith. Also, you need a good hammer. And to make a good hammer you need to be a good Blacksmith. It's a bit of a pain. :D

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So I'm currently at Tortuga Archipelago hunting great palm tree. Already cut two, cash in and yet I'm still in progress? Damn. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: Sorry, I misread. Are you turning them in as a woodcutter?

Lexxism

Edit: Sorry, I misread. Are you turning them in as a woodcutter?

I'm perfectly fine with that one. The one I'm confused was the "Palm it off" where you need to cut down a great palm tree and cash it in the bounty. Already done that twice but it's still in progress. Will try to look for it the 3rd time and hopefully I will get this quest.

edit: Does it need to be as woodcutter? Never had any problem in the past turning those quest with the other class? (at least that's what I remember)

edit2: Lol, stupid of me. No wonder I can't do it. jeez

Think I'm wrapping up the story. So much to do but i have this desire for an alt. Kind of disappointed i can't share items from the first character with the second.

An Animal Crossing / Dragon Quest IX crossover really needs some crossover between user created characters.

Edit: Forgot to get into the reason i logged in: the game won't let me name my pet Borscht. It says that name can't be used. Is that a swear in a language I'm not aware of? I work with languages and am only aware of it being a food.

Niraj

I'm perfectly fine with that one. The one I'm confused was the "Palm it off" where you need to cut down a great palm tree and cash it in the bounty. Already done that twice but it's still in progress. Will try to look for it the 3rd time and hopefully I will get this quest.

edit: Does it need to be as woodcutter? Never had any problem in the past turning those quest with the other class? (at least that's what I remember)

edit2: Lol, stupid of me. No wonder I can't do it. jeez

Usually it will say if you have to do it as a specific class ("as a *insert class*"). The nice thing is you can cut it down as whatever, then just go to the guild office, switch, and turn it in. This works for many enemy/fish/ore bounties as well.

Lexxism

Usually it will say if you have to do it as a specific class ("as a *insert class*"). The nice thing is you can cut it down as whatever, then just go to the guild office, switch, and turn it in. This works for many enemy/fish/ore bounties as well.

Yeah. I didn't read it carefully and just cash in the bounties without changing my class to the specified one. No wonder I can't do it since I always cash in with paladin class. Thanks for the help!

Zing

Banned
Edit: Forgot to get into the reason i logged in: the game won't let me name my pet Borscht. It says that name can't be used. Is that a swear in a language I'm not aware of? I work with languages and am only aware of it being a food.
It didn't allow me to use the name "shazam". No idea why.

fates

Yes, DLC only.
You get them with Lunares coins that you unlok after the DLC main story.

So is it correct to assume that vanilla generally doesn't have much in the way of equipment?

Better question: is there a list of items for both vanilla and DLC?

Random pic of the moment
zlCfzSnAUTQ_G3PnC5
Is that your house? It's awesome.

Chaos17

So is it correct to assume that vanilla generally doesn't have much in the way of equipment?

Aesthetically speaking, yes.
However, I find that being a tailor offers a great range of clothing.
But if you speak at the amount of equipment available, it's different.
I think the game has a very respectable collection that get larger with the DLC.

Though, you also the password outfits that are good for low levels and you can directly access from the base game.

Better question: is there a list of items for both vanilla and DLC?
Try the wiki, they started to make a database : http://fantasy-life.wikia.com/wiki/Fantasy_Life_Wiki
Or check the crafting jobs pages and take a look at the recipies.
That will be all the equipements that you will be able to make except for Lunares coins equipements and passwords outfits.

By the way, everyone can help fill it.

Is that your house? It's awesome.
Nah, I found it on Miiverse.
Me, I'm building a kind of shrine for Celestia, lol.

pariah164

Post-chapter two/second area spoilers:

So, what' the next step up from oak/iron weapons and tools? Silver and palm, I'm guessing? Trouble is, I can't seem to find any silver. Yes, I'm in Port Puerto. I found a cave, but there was no silver in it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
just saw the lord of the dead.... nope

Post-chapter two/second area spoilers:

So, what' the next step up from oak/iron weapons and tools? Silver and palm, I'm guessing? Trouble is, I can't seem to find any silver. Yes, I'm in Port Puerto. I found a cave, but there was no silver in it.

the silver is in the water at tortuga archipelago

Zing

Banned
You should find it by simply wandering around that area. The archipelago area is rather large. There are at least two groups of nodes.

I feel like I'm not using certain fishing/woodcutting/mining skills right. I get the hold X to charge ones, but I've been taught some others and I don't think I'm triggering them correctly. (Or at all.)

Niraj

I feel like I'm not using certain fishing/woodcutting/mining skills right. I get the hold X to charge ones, but I've been taught some others and I don't think I'm triggering them correctly. (Or at all.)

For mining and woodcutting you have to kind of hold A, let go, hold A, etc. You'll know if you did it right because you'll pull the axe/pickaxe back a bit and then hit for more damage. Not sure if that's what you were talking about.

Ludovico

Is this worth getting for someone who's probably going to only be playing single-player?
I enjoy stuff like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, but get burnt out on them pretty soon once I lose sight of an endgame goal and not having objectives.

Is this worth getting for someone who's probably going to only be playing single-player?
I enjoy stuff like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, but get burnt out on them pretty soon once I lose sight of an endgame goal and not having objectives.

I'm 40 hours in and I've played completely alone. At least in this game there is a story and quests, so if you get bored of working on skills you can do those things. I have a ton of skills I haven't even tried yet still. It's worth it for sure.

For mining and woodcutting you have to kind of hold A, let go, hold A, etc. You'll know if you did it right because you'll pull the axe/pickaxe back a bit and then hit for more damage. Not sure if that's what you were talking about.
I mean more for the "special" skills like Axe-copter. It says to press X after the "special skill is fully charged". What does that even mean? (Same with Midair Rod Fishing.)

scurker

I'd say yes. I'm 45 hours in and am only on the last chapter of the story. The story itself isn't that long but I keep being distracted by a bunch of other things in the game. There's always plenty of stuff to do whether it's check out other lives, do side quests or just craft stuff. And I haven't touched a second of multiplayer.

I have a feeling this is going to end up being my most played 3DS game.

I mean more for the "special" skills like Axe-copter. It says to press X after the "special skill is fully charged". What does that even mean? (Same with Midair Rod Fishing.)

The tool icon on the left side of the screen has a gauge. When it fills up yellow and your character glows, press X and the special skill (depending on your current job) is used. It's hard to miss the glowing :)

Zing

Banned
The multiplayer is superfluous. You basically can only mess around in multiplayer, go harvesting, kill stuff. You literally cannot do anything else involving NPCs, so you can't start or complete quests, etc.

Ludovico

Thanks for the quick replies!
I was afraid this would be similar to Monster Hunter, where single-player is ok but the game doesn't shine unless playing with others.
I'll keep an eye out as we get closer to B2G1!

The tool icon on the left side of the screen has a gauge. When it fills up yellow and your character glows, press X and the special skill (depending on your current job) is used. It's hard to miss the glowing :)
Oh, do you actually have to be a Woodcutter, Angler, etc? That's probably what my problem is then. I'm gonna go test it out now. Thanks!

P.S. I just connected with you in Ally Mode is that's okay. :)

Edit: It worked! I'm such a dope. Thanks again.

Ventara

So I finished Chapter 4 and bought the house in Al Maajik, and I decide that I should level up my Lives to Expert or higher. So I go to do my Mining Life and I notice that I have a lot of challenges in two areas I've never heard of; Nauticus Cave and Waterfall Cave. I found Nauticus Cave easily enough and feel stupid for missing it, but holy crap, my mind was blown when I found out where Waterfall Cave was! I passed by that area and never noticed the path leading behind the waterfall. It's almost like a secret area. No wonder I could never find any Iron ore, lol. And this is 46 hours in, lol.

On the friends list it shows your in-game name followed by your Mii name. So it has your in-game name and Hours Left.
Ah yes, I see that now. Cool.

As you know, I'm not the biggest fan of the FL chat interface, but at least it did something right.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, they got the Yoshi's to do the soundtrack for this game?

Anyway, just started...went with Carpenter first because I liked the outfit, had fun making some logs, haha. Decided to switch to Woodcutter to get some logs...

Gotta say, this game is intimidating at the beginning. I really don't know what to do first, so many choices, etc.

Fun Fact: There are over 60(!!!) recruitable characters in this game, and if you add in pets, it's 90+. *faints*

Whoa, they got the Yoshi's to do the soundtrack for this game?

Anyway, just started...went with Carpenter first because I liked the outfit, had fun making some logs, haha. Decided to switch to Woodcutter to get some logs...

Gotta say, this game is intimidating at the beginning. I really don't know what to do first, so many choices, etc.
I felt that way too, but it quickly goes away. Just keep playing and eventually it'll all flow smoothly.

Ventara

Where is Farley's Farm? Explain it to me as if I'm 5 years old.

It's in the West Grassy Plains. Have you unlocked that area yet? I think you have to finish Chapter 1 for it. In the East Grassy Plains, there are some guards blocking a bridge on the west side. Once they're gone, you can cross it and go to the West Grassy Plains, and Farley's Farm is your first right.

It's in the West Grassy Plains. Have you unlocked that area yet? I think you have to finish Chapter 1 for it. In the East Grassy Plains, there are some guards blocking a bridge on the west side. Once they're gone, you can cross it and go to the West Grassy Plains, and Farley's Farm is your first right.

Ah thank you! No wonder I couldn't find it. I'll go unlock it now. Thank you <3

Niraj

Finished the main story today, I'll probably check out the DLC stuff tomorrow if I can. I've also been working on getting up to legend in everything. So far I've done angler, miner, woodcutter, mercenary, and blacksmith. Was working on cook, but I need to get some more ingredients, so might jump around to multitask.

Top Bottom