• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

eojoko

35 hours into my game, and I just went to the West Grassy Plains for the first time.

Heyoooooooooooooooooooooooooo~

Wow, I thought I was playing slowly. I'm about 7 hours in and I'm about to go there.

Loving this game so much. I'm getting some basic skills in a few more Lives before continuing on. Started Angler, then picked up some cooking and blacksmithing skills.

I still haven't unlocked Mercenary, Cooker, Carpenter and Magician.

I'll probably try Carpenter next, I have lots of people asking for furniture.

colinp

Banned
So is it recommended to pick up the DLC when I'm buying the game or should I wait? It does have a couple useful/interesting things for those just starting, right?

tuffy

I've mostly settled into Hunter, Woodcutter, Miner, Blacksmith and Carpenter for now, just to avoid being too overwhelmed. I can exercise the two gathering jobs as a Hunter while exploring and use my crafting jobs to make stuff with those materials. There'll be plenty of time to level up the other jobs later once I've completed the story.

Delstius

So is it recommended to pick up the DLC when I'm buying the game or should I wait? It does have a couple useful/interesting things for those just starting, right?

Everything about the dlc is in the OP.
Specific part that answer your question :

When you download the DLC
Things you get at the start:
-Extra character customization
-Friendship system (allows NPCs to become friends with you and fighting better)
-Pet Birds and Dragons
-2 new houses

colinp

Banned
Everything about the dlc is in the OP.
Specefic part that answer your question :

When you download the DLC
Things you get at the start:
-Extra character customization
-Friendship system (allows NPCs to become friends with you and fighting better)
-Pet Birds and Dragons
-2 new houses

Right, I saw the op! The key question I guess was whether I should buy it or not... It's hard to know how important that stuff is.

BooJoh

Right, I saw the op! The key question I guess was whether I should buy it or not... It's hard to know how important that stuff is.

The general consensus seems to be that if you're going to end up getting the DLC anyway, you should buy it before you start so you have all the extras from the start.

There's a ton of customization options, though I don't know how much is from the DLC, apparently a lot. And while being able to bring NPCs with you is nice, so far I've been going it alone most of the time.

This is a really lame question but, how do I use the various types of arrows? Hunter was my 5th life so I skipped the prologue dialogue and...now I can't figure it out. I need to start poisoning and sleeping fools.

Delstius

I'm seeing a lot of talk about doing the "gathering" lives early on and simultaneously. Good advice?

Yeah, take every gathering jobs at the beginning, so that when you pass by a node/tree/fish, you can take it (regardless of your current job).

Depends way more if you're going to like the game enough to buy the DLC in the first place imo. What you get at first ain't that much. Unless you really want more options in the character creation you can do without the DLC at the start.

Chaos17

Is this worth getting for someone who's probably going to only be playing single-player?
I enjoy stuff like Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, but get burnt out on them pretty soon once I lose sight of an endgame goal and not having objectives.
This game was designed to be soloed.
The co-op is just a bonus to have more fun.

Hm. Is it just me, or is
Palm
really scarce? I've been all over
Port Puerto
and only got 4 logs.
Go south of the town where is the dunjon area.
You will find more Plm trees over there.

I'm seeing a lot of talk about doing the "gathering" lives early on and simultaneously. Good advice?
Gathering jobs are : miner, woodcutter and fisherman.
We advice to take them early so they will level up with you while you're exploring.

For more details, please check the OP for beginner tips.

So I finished Chapter 4 and bought the house in Al Maajik, and I decide that I should level up my Lives to Expert or higher. So I go to do my Mining Life and I notice that I have a lot of challenges in two areas I've never heard of; Nauticus Cave and Waterfall Cave. I found Nauticus Cave easily enough and feel stupid for missing it, but holy crap, my mind was blown when I found out where Waterfall Cave was! I passed by that area and never noticed the path leading behind the waterfall. It's almost like a secret area. No wonder I could never find any Iron ore, lol. And this is 46 hours in, lol.

This game loves to remind us how dumb sometimes we can be.
I, personally missed a lot of teleports like the one which bring you directly to snow peak or to nautilus cave, lol.

Random pic of the moment
zlCfzSnLLRAUKOP_Sa

Kater

Banned
Slightly belated pic.

http://serenesforest.net/img/flife/allgod.png

Has anyone with DLC offered Lunares Coins to the fountains yet?

If so, I would love to trade: list of spares.

Heck, you can just take them for free!
Would be interested in Erik's sword. I have "Leo's Bow" if you'd like that. Don't have time to trade at the moment, maybe this weekend?

Apropos fountains, I have really bad luck most of the time and have to re-load my saves a lot. (I lost the deer saddle because of that ;_;)

Would be interested in Erik's sword. I have "Leo's Bow" if you'd like that. Don't have time to trade at the moment, maybe this weekend?

Apropos fountains, I have really bad luck most of the time and have to re-load my saves a lot. (I lost the deer saddle because of that ;_;)

I have Leo's Bow, but I can reserve an Eirk's Sword for you.

Knowing my luck, I'll probably get another two or three by the weekend : P

Rhyel

I have a question about Password Gifts:

There are any way to get this itens in game?

Or the "Password itens" are exclusives of Post Office?

Thanks.

About the game: GOTY 3DS for sure. :)

Kater

Banned
I have Leo's Bow, but I can reserve an Eirk's Sword for you.

Knowing my luck, I'll probably get another two or three by the weekend : P
I hope I can defeat the
Pumking
(so that I get the item for Pam's request) until then, maybe I can get something different then that you don't have yet. :)

And yeah, I got Pino's boots 2x times once before (and three medicine packs another time), so I had to re-load my save way to often. I normally don't like to cheat like that but it's basically lottery and as that I make an exception for it since it is purely luck-based (which I lack, apparently).

Chaos17

I have a question about Password Gifts:

There are any way to get this itens in game?

Or the "Password itens" are exclusives of Post Office?

Thanks.

About the game: GOTY 3DS for sure. :)

So far I know, they're exclusive to Post office.
I know it sucks I wanted too to craft them but japanese players had them has events during the year bewtween the release of original game and DLC. Same for the Lunares coins in fact.

Rhyel

So far I know, they're exclusive to Post office.
I know it sucks I wanted too to craft them but japanese players had them has events during the year bewtween the release of original game and DLC. Same for the Lunares coins in fact.

Thanks, Nintendo lost the chance to promote the game with events.

My other fear is to advance many combat lifes and make the game too easy.

Now I am only Mercenary in combat lifes.

Chorazin

I'm addicted as hell to this. I'm having so much fun cycling through the Lives and I havent even been past the West Grassy Plains yet! Probably going to rank up all the Lives a few times before I go past there anyways.

Rootbeer

Banned
This game keeps drawing me back to my 3DS in a way few games have been able to. Just an all-around super fun and rewarding game, looks good and has great music too. I want a sequel!

Got a friend to buy it alongside me on launch day. Wish I could have converted more.

Zing

Banned
My other fear is to advance many combat lifes and make the game too easy.
Even one is too many. You could easily clear the game as a woodcutter with a dagger from what I have seen so far. :D

I am surprised at how much my daughter enjoys this game. I bought two copies with intent of giving one to her at Christmas. Last week she saw me playing it and I let her try it for a bit. It seemed to me that it would be too difficult for her to navigate the obtuse menus and understand some of the concepts. In the end, it doesn't matter. She is a woodcutter/carpenter/angler/miner now and wants to play all the time.

I was correct about the menus. They are confusing in general. I am only able to grasp it due to decades of gaming with poor GUIs and translations. It is far from intuitive, which most of what kids play on iOS these days is. She didn't even know that you could (or needed to) change back to a previous life. She thought they were just tutorials. Although, that's probably how it should have been treated. Having to change "lives" for the sole purpose of completing quests feels forced. I know you get life-related stat boosts and some challenges require you to be a certain life, but I believe the game could have been designed differently to allow you to just do what you want, when you want.

Zing

Banned
This is a really lame question but, how do I use the various types of arrows? Hunter was my 5th life so I skipped the prologue dialogue and...now I can't figure it out. I need to start poisoning and sleeping fools.
Doesn't the mail box have all the tutorials, even the ones you skip? You should be able to read about it there.

I haven't bought the DLC and do not regret it, especially since it would mean my daughter and everyone else I know just buy it to link up. That said, multiplayer doesn't seem to be that critical, so maybe that's no big deal. It's rather odd that the DLC, which is primarily based on multiplayer content, would actively discourage multiplayer by fragmenting the user base. It's embarassing that people with DLC can't even join a non-DLC game (I can kind of see not allowing non-DLC to joina DLC world).

One thing about the multiplayer that I suspect many people won't take advantage of, is trading crafted items. No need to burden yourself with another life as a carpenter or tailor when your friend is one and can make you the desired items.

Chaos17

I got two people to buy Fantasy Life :D both of them love it.
This game keeps drawing me back to my 3DS in a way few games have been able to. Just an all-around super fun and rewarding game, looks good and has great music too. I want a sequel!

Got a friend to buy it alongside me on launch day. Wish I could have converted more.
Let's continue do this.

d24102_3f8aa259ef6153f384a0bdff61d32681.gif_256

spread-the-love.gif

support.gif

Support the game

Zing

Banned
How do you snap pictures?
When you gain the ability to do so, the game tells you how. Have you asked the clerk at the middle counter in the guild office?

Has NoA promoted ANY passwords for this game? I just looked over their Twitter feed going back a few months and saw nothing. It's ridiculous.

Zing

Banned
Why wouldn't you just reply with what the dude below you replied with?
Because if you haven't talked to the clerk, it isn't enabled, and pressing start does nothing. You literally cannot use the function until you chat with the NPC. If you had chatted with the NPC, you would know how to do it. The natural assumption since you didn't know the correct button is that you have not talked to the NPC and enabled the function yet.

For all I know, the next post you wrote would have said, "I'm pressing start and it isn't doing anything!"

For someone asking for help with basic function mentioned on page seven of the manual (it even explains that you need to talk to the clerk first), you certainly are rude!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

honestly, it does call to me. i mean, i could just go around hunting trees and ore spots all day

Top Bottom