• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Zing

Banned
The game tells you where to use passwords once you are allowed to use the feature, so it's likely you can't use them yet (or you hammer on the A button too fast).

I also had no idea where to enter them, until the game enabled the feature.

I've been exploring with my daughter. It's frustrating that you literally can't do anything but wander around during multiplayer. You can't get or complete quests, talk to life master, or even change lives! We have to constantly quit multplayer to change lives and rank up.

It's also annoying how much text you have to wade through in multiplayer just to perform basic functions. It's so convoluted. Just exchanging items in the box is completely un-intuitive. I can't tell if it's just a bad translation or poor design.

However! I am finding it fun to go exploring with her. I am much higher level, so things are easy for me, but it's fun that she is a woodcutter and carpenter and I am a miner and blacksmith. I make us weapons and armor and she makes furniture and tools. It wouldn't be nearly as fun if I could do everything myself.

Zing

Banned
There is essentially no relation to Animal Crossing here at all. That said, my nine-year-old daughter loves the game so far. She likes Animal Crossing also, but even she doesn't see the connection.

It is on the fragile border of esoteric and casual. There are a myriad of arcane menus to navigate and assumed knowledge of common gaming mechanics that can make it a bit opaque to casual gamers, yet the combat is very basic and has ample tutorials, with no permanent death, so casuals can enjoy dicking around in the world without fear.

Chaos17

My girlfriend's a massive Animal Crossing fan and see likes JRPGs like Terra Battle. Would this game be a good fit for her?

I've never played Terra online but I think this guy do describe well the game.

This game is incredible. A lot of the "game journalists" will try to tell you why it's bad because of what it's not. Metacritic's user score proves that game journalism is just a bunch of BS. This game is a fantastic escape and is currently my second favorite 3DS game.. Bravely Default beats it just ever so slightly.

Some may try to tell you it's a kids game. I'm 26.

If you have played Dragon Quest 9 this game is basically built on the same engine (with far superior graphics of course) and reviewers praised that game. Fatnasy life is one of the greatest Level 5 games to date. If you are in any way a fan of these titles I will list you CANNOT pass up this GEM. This game is like a dream mashup of the games I will list below. AND IT WORKS SOOO WELL and in my opinion is a dream come true

Zelda A link to the past (or ALBW) [combat system, world exploration, dungeons]
Skyrim [Crafting, Open world exploration, Quest System]
Dragon Quest [Especially DQ 9 engine is very similar as is questing system]
Final Fantasy (older games) [tons of different qweapons, items, potions ect AND JOB CLASSES]
Harvest Moon [The simulation elements and has a similar feel in non combat parts]
Rune Factory [Again similar but has so much more to offer than rune factory]
Animal Crossing [House customization, Item colection, NPCs]

Its my opinion that this game does what it does almost better than this list. In almost all of these games I always felt that something was lacking, Fantasy Life fills those holes in EACH case

By Demonik420 on Metacritic.

My personal recommandation : make her watch the trailer (in OP) and see if it's appeal her first.

zlCfzSmoUcQ_CuQxhh

zlCfzSmoUcQ_CuQxhh

bengraven

I've never played Terra online but I think this guy do describe well the game.

My personal recommandation : make her watch the trailer (in OP) and see if it's appeal her first.

zlCfzSmoUcQ_CuQxhh

zlCfzSmoUcQ_CuQxhh

This is exactly the game I've wanted to play. It's killing me that it's for a system I just can't afford right now.

GcRayden

My wife and I are playing and she realized that while being a Wizard, she can no longer sit to rejuvenate her SP. Her character does some kind of sweating jump whenever she tries to sit. I'm not sure what's wrong, as it lets me sit as a Mercenary and I barely need SP.

Does anyone know why this happens?

My wife and I are playing and she realized that while being a Wizard, she can no longer sit to rejuvenate her SP. Her character does some kind of sweating jump whenever she tries to sit. I'm not sure what's wrong, as it lets me sit as a Mercenary and I barely need SP.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Sounds like she was playing around with the gestures. Go to Options in the Y/Menu screen and select "Assign Gestures." Make sure she has Sit Down assigned to one of the 4 directionals.

watershed

Banned
Question about the DLC. I finished the main quest and bought the DLC cuz I'm addicted to this game. How do I access the additional character customization? Am I suppose to go somewhere or talk to someone?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
My daughter is playing this.. and she brought it to me... Pam says she needs to move out to buy a new house.. but I went to the attic and there's nothing in it but that butterfly thing?

What am I doing wrong? I got back to Pam.. she says same thing.. but there's nothing up stairs.

My daughter is playing this.. and she brought it to me... Pam says she needs to move out to buy a new house.. but I went to the attic and there's nothing in it but that butterfly thing?

What am I doing wrong? I got back to Pam.. she says same thing.. but there's nothing up stairs.

You have to remove the wallpaper, flooring, and window treatments too. There's a remove all option in the arrange menu.

I don't trust media reviews, most of if not all are idiots.
One simple question; how's the story?

I know this game has a lot to do plus it's made by Level 5 which is always a plus. I just need this to have a charming or decent enough story for me to pull the trigger.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
You have to remove the wallpaper, flooring, and window treatments too. There's a remove all option in the arrange menu.

Thanks, that worked... of course then go and see she's not even close to enough money. Told her to grind out the cash.

Cool game.. when she's done I'm stealing it.

Ended up finishing the story last night. It was actually not bad at all. Time to go all out on skills now. I'm enjoying blacksmithing so I might stick with that for a bit.

Oxx

I know this game has a lot to do plus it's made by Level 5 which is always a plus. I just need this to have a charming or decent enough story for me to pull the trigger.

The story is fine. They just use far too many words to tell it.

Zing

Banned
Thanks, that worked... of course then go and see she's not even close to enough money. Told her to grind out the cash.

Unless you mean, "when she's done for today", you are going to be waiting a very long time. :D

You don't have to move out, tell her she can do whatever she wants, like the butterfly quests to advance in the story!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Quick question, do each of the 12 Lives have their own name and design you customize, or do you play as one character who switches between "Lives".

So like can one of my Lives be a guy, and another a girl, for example.

Quick question, do each of the 12 Lives have their own name and design you customize, or do you play as one character who switches between "Lives".

So like can one of my Lives be a guy, and another a girl, for example.
The latter, and if you make a male character, you can't equip female-only gear.

You can still make him look like a girl though, mine looks very gay right now, he is wearing some pink fur armor and long hair, lol. I try a new look everyday.

Watch Da Birdie

Huh, so, despite having 12 "Lives", they're still technically the same character?

That's sort of disappointing, I thought you could make 12 individual characters and they worked together or something.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Does anyone know how to get to the great palm tree? I have no idea where this thing is

Chorazin

So I'm an Adept Woodcutter and Hunter, and my Carpentry is a level down from that. I'm ready to head to Puerto-whatever. Should I just start a new Cycle of Lives now before I go there?

Speaking as someone who loves games with good writing, don't get this game expecting a fantastic story.

The most I can say is that it's not embarrassing.

Watch Da Birdie

When I went to buy this on the US Eshop, there was a really neat song playing on the shop, and Fantasy Life was the first icon.

Is that from Fantasy Life? Sounded really Level-5-y, like something from Professor Layton. But I guess that might just still be the Halloween-theme for the Eshop, maybe it was Luigis Mansion 2?

Ventara

Finally reached my first Master rank at 41 hours. It was the Angler life. No surprise, really, since you can catch pretty much any fish with an okay rod.

Anyways, I'm at 43 hours now, and I just started Chapter 4. I really want to buy a house in Al Magiik, so I hope that's unlocked after this chapter.

Chaos17

Question about the DLC. I finished the main quest and bought the DLC cuz I'm addicted to this game. How do I access the additional character customization? Am I suppose to go somewhere or talk to someone?
Yes, you need to do the story DLC to get access to the NPC (in the DLC village) who will remake your character for 150k. I think you can access it after chapter 1.
Or buy the mirror for 12 or 15 Lunares gold coins (after second chapter)

Huh, so, despite having 12 "Lives", they're still technically the same character?

That's sort of disappointing, I thought you could make 12 individual characters and they worked together or something.

I've to disagree because I think that's part of the magic of this game.
You're not forced to reroll to try a new life, you can do everything if you want.
without being nerfed or punished like in a lot of mmorpg.

Are the stat bonuses from cooked foods permanent or temporary?
Temporary.
Only the candies (Alchemy, god rank?) are perm.

It's chiché so people dislike or like it but it's not endless like the botom pit of hell.

The intro is a bout 1 hour long before you're free.
The story arcs are about between 45 mins and 1 hour each.
The Butterfly quests are about 5 mins each.
The jobs tutorials are abot 20 or 25 mins each.

My advices if you won't like it :
Read at least carefully the tutorials at the beginning, a lot of beginners questions are covered by them.
Don't unlock all the jobs at once or you might feel overwhelmed then want to skip them then feel lost.
Take your time, the game won't run away.

Finally reached my first Master rank at 41 hours. It was the Angler life. No surprise, really, since you can catch pretty much any fish with an okay rod.

Anyways, I'm at 43 hours now, and I just started Chapter 4. I really want to buy a house in Al Magiik, so I hope that's unlocked after this chapter.
You can sually buy a house after the story arc of the area.
Also not all the time, the game will warn you about a house being available.
I don't know if it's after Al Majiik that will happen or directly at Al Majiik. I can't remember it.

Random pic of the moment
zlCfzSnAUTQ_G3PnC5

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Yeah, you can buy it after that chapter.

It's funny. The really jazzed up the North American script, but one of the changes was that the toned down Jinx's puns. She still makes them, but not in literally every sentence like in the PAL version.

So in the PAL version she's basically Mr. Freeze from that terrible Batman movie?

Top Bottom