• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Chaos17

I was interested in this game but im on the fence about it, is this game anything like animal crossing, i really liked AC:NL but after a long time i got bored, i felt it lacked something, and that something is battles and quests.
How is the battle aspect of this game, does it feel like an afterthought or is it really fleshed out? after reading some reviews it feels like this game is kinda like Little Kings Story where you could wander around and face monsters.

I also wanna know all this as well, also, is it more like AC or more like Rune Factory?

I will post you the quick review of Demonik420 from Metacritic because he really explain well all the good sides of this game and from his examples he has some video game experience that is not limited to Animal crossing, lol.
This game is incredible. A lot of the "game journalists" will try to tell you why it's bad because of what it's not. Metacritic's user score proves that game journalism is just a bunch of BS. This game is a fantastic escape and is currently my second favorite 3DS game.. Bravely Default beats it just ever so slightly.

Some may try to tell you it's a kids game. I'm 26.

If you have played Dragon Quest 9 this game is basically built on the same engine (with far superior graphics of course) and reviewers praised that game. Fatnasy life is one of the greatest Level 5 games to date. If you are in any way a fan of these titles I will list you CANNOT pass up this GEM. This game is like a dream mashup of the games I will list below. AND IT WORKS SOOO WELL and in my opinion is a dream come true

Zelda A link to the past (or ALBW) [combat system, world exploration, dungeons]
Skyrim [Crafting, Open world exploration, Quest System]
Dragon Quest [Especially DQ 9 engine is very similar as is questing system]
Final Fantasy (older games) [tons of different qweapons, items, potions ect AND JOB CLASSES]
Harvest Moon [The simulation elements and has a similar feel in non combat parts]
Rune Factory [Again similar but has so much more to offer than rune factory]
Animal Crossing [House customization, Item colection, NPCs]

Its my opinion that this game does what it does almost better than this list. In almost all of these games I always felt that something was lacking, Fantasy Life fills those holes in EACH case.

pyhTGkB.jpg

Ventara

Seriously, I don't get how mining a Dragon Scab is an Adept Challenge. I have a Great-Quality Gold Pickaxe, 28 Strength and am LV 10 in my Mining Skill, and I still can't damage this thing.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Somehow got a Whirlpool Rod from one of those turtle bounties in the area outside the second town and suddenly I am a FISHING GOD.

i did too, now i need to raise my fishing skill, but im so close to going next level with my carpenter skill and i need to get into that cave in the aridian desert for star clusters. so now i have to start the chapter 4 stuff. theres so much to do.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Seriously, I don't get how mining a Dragon Scab is an Adept Challenge. I have a Great-Quality Gold Pickaxe, 28 Strength and am LV 10 in my Mining Skill, and I still can't damage this thing.

i did too, now i need to raise my fishing skill, but im so close to going next level with my carpenter skill and i need to get into that cave in the aridian desert for star clusters. so now i have to start the chapter 4 stuff. theres so much to do.

That pretty much lasted me all the way through legend rank for angler.

On another note, just got my first creator-rank (god-rank), paladin :D

Bummer. :/

Take the airship next to your house (or the wooden cabin on sale) in South (West) Castele. Then talk to the soldier standing at the entrance to Mt. Snowpeak, pretty sure he teleports you to the summit (apologies if I'm misremembering).

Before you enter the Mt. Snowpeak area from the Easy Grassy Plains, talk to the guide paladin right outside the entrance and he'll take you to the summit.

Whoa, thanks guys. I had no idea about that.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hmm...so, Cooking. So wish you could open your own Restaurant and steadily get money, it's sort of a boring job since I don't really see any point in food.

Ventara

When asking an NPC friend to join you, can their Friendship only go up by 3 points (+3 points when they leave)? I've had 2 guys with me and their Friendship hasn't gone up past 3 points, and it's been a while.

Edit: Just Mastered my 2nd Life (Mining) at 55 hours. Hurray!

Zing

Banned
I don't think all of the challenges are intended to be completed when they are given. It's just how the game sorts them. You don't need to complete that one to advance to expert.

I haven't given it a try again lately. I double checked. I am skill 10 miner with great silver pick and 22 natural strength (boosted by 8 with items) and could be more with food. Try wearing the beastly necklace if you have it. It gives 4 strength.

I am able to damage the one in the water cave near Port Puerto. Have you tried that one? I'll try it again after I make a new batch of food.

Ventara

I don't think all of the challenges are intended to be completed when they are given. It's just how the game sorts them. You don't need to complete that one to advance to expert.

I haven't given it a try again lately. I double checked. I am skill 10 miner with great silver pick and 22 natural strength (boosted by 8 with items) and could be more with food. Try wearing the beastly necklace if you have it. It gives 4 strength.

I am able to damage the one in the water cave near Port Puerto. Have you tried that one? I'll try it again after I make a new batch of food.

I suppose, but they could've just as easily given that challenge as a Master or something.

Anyways, yeah, I got the one in Nautilus Cave, and the one in Cave of Bones, but the one in Subterranean Lake is a no-go. I'll try gearing up and eating some foods before trying them again.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think I might be able to get this soon... but it will leave me pretty low for the rest of the month... UGH so hard to resist x.x/

Zing

Banned
Whew, I just spent an hour blacksmithing. Tried to make a full set of top quality savage armor. I made all the parts except the body. I also used my first additive. I added fire element to a silver claymore. I don't have many additions, so I hestitate to use them unless I know the item will be great or better.

I assume "criticaline" increases change to critical hit?

Ventara

Not sure, but I'd be surprised if it didn't going by the name, lol.

Anyways it's time for round 3 with me vs the Dragon Scab. I have a full set of Beastly Armor and a Mole Axe. If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.

Edit: Yes! Got it! Just barely, though.

Oh, and I mastered my Blacksmith Life at 57 hours.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
It's so easy to get distracted. Needed to get an ingredient to get cook to creator, so I switch to mercenary since a quest required me to kill the same enemy. Then I came across a hell gigante, so at that point I'm like, fuck it, might as well finish all these mercenary quests.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
finally did the butterfly missions to unlock the ancient ruins. team up with odin(incredibly awesome) and the lame gold knight(not dope at all) rush through the ancient ruins to kill the titan and get a star cluster. take out some mid bosses in the cave( there are some strong ass monsters in the desert at night. ) and get the hell out. go near that big ass plant, and one of the damn chests drops a star cluster. im happy and pissed off at the same time.

When asking an NPC friend to join you, can their Friendship only go up by 3 points (+3 points when they leave)? I've had 2 guys with me and their Friendship hasn't gone up past 3 points, and it's been a while.

Edit: Just Mastered my 2nd Life (Mining) at 55 hours. Hurray!
I haven't been keeping track, but I'm pretty sure you can get more than that at once. I've been maxing out my party members pretty quickly. (Also the amount of Friendship points you get when they leave depends on how much you did with them. "X had fun!" = 1 FP, "X had a blast!" = 2 FP, "X had the time of their life!" = 3 FP.)

Another tip though for those that don't know, is that party members will get more Friendship points if you are currently the job that they are too, or for story characters, the job that they like/associate themselves with. Monika, for example, will gain 2 FP at a time out in the field if you are currently a Woodcutter.

Ventara

I haven't been keeping track, but I'm pretty sure you can get more than that at once. I've been maxing out my party members pretty quickly. (Also the amount of Friendship points you get when they leave depends on how much you did with them. "X had fun!" = 1 FP, "X had a blast!" = 2 FP, "X had the time of their life!" = 3 FP.)

Another tip though for those that don't know, is that party members will get more Friendship points if you are currently the job that they are too, or for story characters, the job that they like/associate themselves with. Monika, for example, will gain 2 FP at a time out in the field if you are currently a Woodcutter.

Thanks for the info. Will try that and see if they get more friendship points.

GOODNESS, this game is addictive. I haven't taken my 3DS to bed so I could play as I passed out in a LONG time. Started out thinking I'd rock out as a Blacksmith and do a little mining. Then I ended up with an inventory full of Oak Logs that I couldn't do anything with so I got into carpentry. Which ended up with me picking up Woodcutting so I could get logs more efficiently. Then I got into Fishing because I was making rods anyways...

Long story short, the last time side missions diverted my attention from the main story so hard, I ended up with 100+ hours into Skyrim being no closer to the end game than I was after an hour of following the official storyline.

Fantasy Life is VERY good, people.

ok i decided to get the game! Question is should i get it now or later though since i just started with EO IV as well. Will this one be readily available in a couple months from now, maybe even receive a price drop or will it be hard to find/more expensive then?

ok i decided to get the game! Question is should i get it now or later though since i just started with EO IV as well. Will this one be readily available in a couple months from now, maybe even receive a price drop or will it be hard to find/more expensive then?
Since this a Nintendo published game, it's hard to say, while Atlus games tend to go on sale quite a lot.

If funds aren't an issue, I'd say get it now personally.

Edit: OMG @ Gladstone's pilot license and "read the future" lines. Twist the knife in deeper why don't ya? ;_;

Tiu Neo

Finally got this game yesterday. Played a bit, and already got hooked.

Without spoilers, is there anything missable? Doesn't look like the kind of game to have missables, but better safe than sorry.

Chaos17

Finally got this game yesterday. Played a bit, and already got hooked.

Without spoilers, is there anything missable? Doesn't look like the kind of game to have missables, but better safe than sorry.

Nope.
The game will tell you everythin you need to know.

Random pic of the moment
zlCfzSnuX6oNXRacqJ

BooJoh

Is there a way to reset the enemies in the Dark Void without killing them? I don't feel like killing a ton of Shadow Dragons just to find Shadow Sharks and Shadowsaurus for my quests.

EDIT: Asked too soon, I guess I just have to leave the cave.

Could use some help. Trying to get my Merc to master (only need 200 stars) but only have one quest and its to kill a tyrant in the desert. I cannot put a dent in it, so i figured I could do some master quests in the ancient ruins. Where are the mimics? This game is super addictive, played a ton last night. LVL 42 40+ hours in

BooJoh

Could use some help. Trying to get my Merc to master (only need 200 stars) but only have one quest and its to kill a tyrant in the desert. I cannot put a dent in it, so i figured I could do some master quests in the ancient ruins. Where are the mimics? This game is super addictive, played a ton last night. LVL 42 40+ hours in

If you mean the Desert Tyrant on the path to the ancient ruins I have some bad news for you... to get to the Mimics you'll need to kill one of two bosses inside, Gigante (left, up, right, up) or Golden Dragon (stay left, he's past the Cactos,) either of which is harder than the Desert Tyrant. Make sure you've talked to all the Merc NPCs and gotten all of your quests.

Cervantes, the barkeep next to him, the guy just outside the Castele Square gates to the south, the guy at the camp just before Mt Snowpeak, the guy in the center of the area with the Puerto home, Miguel in his house next to the Al Majiik home, and the girl at Cacto Cove.

There's a quest for Gigante in the ancient ruins as well, so you can stack that with the Mimics. A word of advice, the room behind Gigante only has like two Mimics and one Diabolical Box and the room behind the Golden Dragon has more Mimics and one Diabolical Box, but the trick is to complete your quest in one trip by leaving and re-entering that room until you have all your quests done (5 times I think) otherwise you'll have to re-fight one of the bosses.

As for the Desert Tyrant, I'd just bring along some allies, make sure you spend most of your time directly under his head, make sure you have plenty of potions and life cures if you expect to need them, and if you're still having too much trouble, you might just need to level up and get more strength, or craft better equipment. I think I was in the Marine/Magma Ore sets at that point with a Flamberge, and if you crafted them yourself with an attack stone on the weapon then they're better than stuff from shops.

Oxx

I'm only at 12 unique streetpass visitors. Not exactly pulling-in Animal Crossing numbers.

(Sorry for comparing the game to AC).

Went on a boss killing spree yesterday in an attempt to level up to 50 and start the dlc. 46 now, hero Wizard, and only one Calamitus away from next rank. The dinosaur in the desert dropped a pretty nice sword but wizard is the only combat life i had at the time (started up all the others after i dropped him).

Wish i had done that a while ago. Leveled hunter to expert and it was easy but really boring.

I guess I'll try the ancient ruins bosses tonight and hopefully hit 50. I imagine they're meant to be taken before the DLC

Joe Molotov

Man, this game is really the perfect portable game. Tons of stuff to do, and easy to pick up and play in short bursts and still get things accomplished, but after every accomplishment, there's always a carrot leading you on to the next thing.

If you mean the Desert Tyrant on the path to the ancient ruins I have some bad news for you... to get to the Mimics you'll need to kill one of two bosses inside, Gigante (left, up, right, up) or Golden Dragon (stay left, he's past the Cactos,) either of which is harder than the Desert Tyrant. Make sure you've talked to all the Merc NPCs and gotten all of your quests.

Cervantes, the barkeep next to him, the guy just outside the Castele Square gates to the south, the guy at the camp just before Mt Snowpeak, the guy in the center of the area with the Puerto home, Miguel in his house next to the Al Majiik home, and the girl at Cacto Cove.

There's a quest for Gigante in the ancient ruins as well, so you can stack that with the Mimics. A word of advice, the room behind Gigante only has like two Mimics and one Diabolical Box and the room behind the Golden Dragon has more Mimics and one Diabolical Box, but the trick is to complete your quest in one trip by leaving and re-entering that room until you have all your quests done (5 times I think) otherwise you'll have to re-fight one of the bosses.

As for the Desert Tyrant, I'd just bring along some allies, make sure you spend most of your time directly under his head, make sure you have plenty of potions and life cures if you expect to need them, and if you're still having too much trouble, you might just need to level up and get more strength, or craft better equipment. I think I was in the Marine/Magma Ore sets at that point with a Flamberge, and if you crafted them yourself with an attack stone on the weapon then they're better than stuff from shops.

Thanks you for all the info.

Top Bottom