• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Kater

Banned
Finished the trial of light. Boss was easier than I figured it would be, but my level is pretty high now (132).
That one was waaaay easier than the
crab boss
on the trial of light. 😣

So my luck is now at 45 and I still can't find a single fucking saphire in Mt Snowpeak. What gives?
I could give you a Luck +10 amulet if you want it. I don't need it, already have my luck at 50 or so.

Also I've activated
the Hunter special request you get after God's rank
but I can't for the life of me kill that Typhoon Bird. His attacks are way too powerful. El Gato and daydreaming, mah boys, we're gonna have to team up once again to beat that guy (please!).
Sure, no problem. Just write me when you have time for some multiplayer.
In other news I've reached level 80 tonight!
Good work! 😊

Chaos17

I'm thirty hours in, I'm sure I'll put another thirty hours in, and I just completed the main storyline.

I just thought I'd come in here and mention that the story missions in this game are unfathomably horrible. I'm absolutely floored that the game hasn't been critically savaged for forcing this heinous, clunky mess onto people who might otherwise enjoy the game. I can't believe the amount of time I've spent looking at the mini-map while chasing red dots to satisfy the game's stupid "Go talk to X!" missions, and then mashing the shit out of the A button in an effort to make it all go away.

Before I say more about just how fucking brutally awful the story missions are, I should emphasize that I like many things about the game. There's a reason that I've endured the stupidest game design in recent history. I think the world looks great, and I've found it very fun to explore on my own time. I think the player interface (menu system, etc.) is clean and tight. The mini-games and the combat are repetitive and easy, but they're both inoffensive. And I've been really, really hooked on everything that goes into fulfilling the Life missions for the gathering and building classes. Really, it's the hunting, collecting, crafting, and buying/selling (mixed with a world design that makes that process fun) that's kept me coming back.

So, in order to enjoy what's good about the game, I was willing to suffer through the story/bliss missions. Now that it's all over, I'm totally baffled about what series of decisions or indecisions led to the fucking mess found in Fantasy Life. Who the fuck wants to read tens of thousands of words of meandering dialogue, told eight words at a time, while running your character from one end of the game world to the other? What would have been lost if the dialogue was halved (or more than halved)? Who would have had less fun if they weren't forced to run from Jimmy in Whereverthefuck to Suzy in Fuckmeville to talk about whatever stupid shit?

Part of the reason the story missions are so dry, I suspect, is that the developers tried to make the story missions to someone who isn't focusing on combat. With this goal in mind, the story missions can't, by and large, involve combat or any other particular skill. But rather than giving us a short-and-sweet narrative that provides a rough framework for people to explore the various Lives/Roles, they forced us to read the world's worst novel, where turning the page requires slamming the A button seven hundred thousand times. The story itself is an atrocity. But I'd hardly have noticed the atrocity if it were 20% as long or involved. The majority of game stories are terrible. I normally don't complain.

If these fine artists couldn't handle cutting down the text or mindless running in their riveting epic, they could have at least made it optional. If I wasn't forced to complete the inane bliss missions to open up new parts of the world, I also wouldn't have complained. But, no. The developers made sure that in order to be able to progress as a Tailor, I had to read every fucking word of their miserable trash. And, adding insult to injury, they prohibited changing Lives/Roles during the story missions. What?!?!

Fantasy Life is great at many things, but does its best to ruin it all. What an absolutely ridiculous experience.

I will now return to the parts of the game I enjoy (of which there are many). But I'm curious to see if anyone else has come away with feelings like mine.

30 hours of gameplay and you already finished the story ??
I'm sorry man but I think it's your fault to not have pick up a good pacing about this game. The result is that you got burned by the story.

Yes, the story isn't the greatest of all time but it's short.
1 story arc is only about 1 hour long and Butterfly quests are like less 5 mins each.
Then you're free for the time you want!

We adviced here many time to space up thing and to do the story only when you can't go foward in your jobs unless people were prepared to go through the story in one go to unlock all areas.

I think it's still a fair point, the story quests are pretty crappy. The story itself is not very good but I didn't mind it too much and kinda liked the characters and stuff, but the pacing during the story arcs was terrible. Considering you always have the choice of fighting or not fighting, I think there should have more of an emphasis on traditional RPG story telling which tends to be punctuated by dungeons/bosses, combat in general.

In Fantasy Life, you basically kill like 10mobs in THE ENTIRE story. The last chapter doesn't even have a single fight. To me, that's what really made them tiresome and boring, it's just text text text run here and there and back and back again text text text kill one monster text text text done. The dialogues are too slow paced(though some of it is nicely written), and happen in too large "blocks", the running around is tedious especially since most of the time there's not even monsters in the zones you run around in.

You also can't take breaks while in story, you have to finish the current chapter to resume usage of all functions(mob spawns, certain locations, guide paladins if you're still in the first area, quests).

Sure you can spread it out and do fun stuff inbetween, but that doesn't really make the story parts better. I think they should have been better integrated in the game, with quests asking you to craft/gather/fight stuff and so on, and without locking content for the entire duration but instead only for the short events when it's relevant so you can kinda do the story as you play, rather than say "ok now I stop playing and do the story for the next hour".

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wait till you meet the special quest monsters from the masters.
They are Nintendo level hard lol

Yeah, they're definitely way worse lol. I've done the hunter, wizard, and mercenary ones so far, the mercenary one being the hardest for me. I'll probably try the paladin one soon, but there are some other things I want to get done first :p

That one was waaaay easier than the
crab boss
on the trial of light. 😣

The worst part for me was that transition floor with the three knight enemies. I killed one and tried to grab the bounty...that was a mistake lol. The other two both hit me with their special attack and I couldn't block -_- but that was my fault for multiple reasons lol

Yeah, they're definitely way worse lol. I've done the hunter, wizard, and mercenary ones so far, the mercenary one being the hardest for me. I'll probably try the paladin one soon, but there are some other things I want to get done first :p

The mercenary boss probably being the hardest one for me as well. His tail sweep? Holy freakin banana! I've got like almost 460 in my DEF yet i still got my health kicked to red!
At least there is one ultimate weapon of fantasy life to handle all these super monster:
the hit-run-faint-revive-combo with the ally
lol
I didn't even need to attack! XD

Kater

Banned
The worst part for me was that transition floor with the three knight enemies. I killed one and tried to grab the bounty...that was a mistake lol. The other two both hit me with their special attack and I couldn't block -_- but that was my fault for multiple reasons lol

Those are also pretty hard if you don't go at it the right way, yeah. I think the Trial of Light in general is something that you either need a huge chunk of Dosh for potions or a high rank in Alchemist. 😄

I like the challenge that the tower gives you though, it's so different to the rest of the game. I wish there were way more "dungeons" like this in the rest of Reveria.

TheGrue

You literally just hit things with your normal arrows to build it up.

However, since its your Hunter special ability, it will not fill up if you are not currently a Hunter.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I thought it was something that filled quicker than it does. I didn't notice that I was almost full when I asked the question and so about 30 seconds after I asked, it filled and triggered the ability to use it.

Zing

Banned
I'm sorry man but I think it's your fault to not have pick up a good pacing about this game. The result is that you got burned by the story.

We adviced here many time to space up thing and to do the story only when you can't go foward in your jobs unless people were prepared to go through the story in one go to unlock all areas.
I feel there is truth to this. I have absolutely no problem with the story or the amount of text. I will actually be sad when it is finished. I am at 40 hours into the game and just finished the Al Majik portion of the story (chapter 4?). I haven't even wasted that much time doing stuff. I'm going at a natural rate. I find that the story gives a great break from the free wandering sections, and gives a push for the player to move on to the next area. The life challenges and random quests are complex enough, especially when holding several jobs, that the simplicity of the story is a welcome breather.

If you are getting frustrated with the game, then you may be taking on too many jobs at once and getting overwhelmed. I suggest against starting this game in your usual console "must 100% platinum trophy unlock everything asap" mindset trying to min/max and get the most value for your money. If you really hate the story that much, just hold down the X button and run to the next red dot.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The mercenary boss probably being the hardest one for me as well. His tail sweep? Holy freakin banana! I've got like almost 460 in my DEF yet i still got my health kicked to red!
At least there is one ultimate weapon of fantasy life to handle all these super monster:
the hit-run-faint-revive-combo with the ally
lol
I didn't even need to attack! XD

That's pretty much what I did too lol. I switched to a sword and shield because I would've gotten slaughtered with the greatsword, so I mostly blocked (not that it helped that much) and healed. It probably was helpful that my allies used ranged attacks.

Those are also pretty hard if you don't go at it the right way, yeah. I think the Trial of Light in general is something that you either need a huge chunk of Dosh for potions or a high rank in Alchemist. 😄

I like the challenge that the tower gives you though, it's so different to the rest of the game. I wish there were way more "dungeons" like this in the rest of Reveria.

Yeah I agree, I was just talking to a friend about how I wish there were more of them. In terms of potions, I did buy a ton, but I've also been using the treasure gloves (2 items per chest) and getting a ton of superior spraylixers and stuff like that, so that's nice ;)

I just hit my first Hero rank in a life, woodcutter. I like the outfit it gives you and it makes me excited to see the others, but it might be a while. I am actually trying to get all lives to the highest rank on one character. I was working on getting them all to Master before moving on but I was so close on woodcutter to not do it. Now its time to get angler to master.

I hit Master in mercenary last night as well. It was odd, usually there are more then enough challenges to not have to finish them all to advance in rank but for the mercenary I had to do them all. Its a good thing I was able to bring
Odin
with me to help on the
Desert Tyrant
or that would have been no fun.

Finished the story for Origin Island. short but nice. One question where is this fountain that everyone talks about and where do I get the silver/gold coins for it?

Grizzo

Finished the story for Origin Island. short but nice. One question where is this fountain that everyone talks about and where do I get the silver/gold coins for it?

Go talk to Pam in her real house (she's behind her desk, as usual) and do what she tells you to do (
which is to bring her 10 HP potions)
. And then she'll give you a Silver Lunares Coin.

Then bring it to the fountain on the Castele main place, right below the road to the castle.

Go talk to Pam in her real house (she's behind her desk, as usual) and do what she tells you to do (
which is to bring her 10 HP potions)
. And then she'll give you a Silver Lunares Coin.

Then bring it to the fountain on the Castele main place, right below the road to the castle.

Really and i missed it the whole time??

To the people suggesting that my complaints with the story are the result of rushing, or not pacing myself, or trying to min-max: no.

I decided I wanted to play as a tailor-hunter-angler. That's how I wanted to play the game. I avoided the story missions because I found them tedious and horrible (as expressed in my previous post). But I was persistently forced back into the story because I couldn't access the core materials (for the tailor) or the dudes to kill (for the hunter) without progressing. Because of how desperately I hated the vapid story and the way it was told, I picked up a fourth Life/Role: cook (or chef, or whatever it is called). I did this only because I was trying to avoid the story. I didn't want to be forced to do story missions, so I started a different life.

I'm 32 hours in. I'm hero in hunting, master in tailoring and angling, and expert in cooking. I've never rushed. Until the last chapter or two, I only progressed in the story when I absolutely had to, in order to access the shit I needed for my Life missions. (At the very end, once I'd unlocked
Terra Nimbus
, I just crushed the A button for 60-90 minutes and finished the story. I needed that horrific shit done. But until that point, I'd only done the story stuff when forced.)

So my complaints have nothing to do with improper pacing, min-maxing, or rushing on my part. I didn't grow tired of the story because I decided to spend all of my time on it. Instead, I avoided the six-million-word bucket of tripe at all costs, until I was forced to complete story missions to unlock areas.

Now, you might say "Well, it's your fault for deciding to focus on only a handful of lives! Of course you'll be forced into the story if you don't spread yourself out across all of the lives." Well, to that, all I can say is that nothing reeks of horrible game design worse than a character-building RPG where creating a reasonable, believable, focused character is unfun or unsustainable. If the "right" way to play the game is to be a paladin-mercenary-angler-cook-tailor-magician-hunter-miner-carpenter-blahblah, then the game is both more fucked than I thought and poorly advertised. Stupid.

I'm glad to see some other people in the thread who agree with me about just how mind-bogglingly shitty the story missions are. I still can't wrap my mind around it.

Sagitario

Are there any downsides if I do crafting while I am any other non-crafting class? Like when woodcutting (or other types of gathering) while you are not a lumberjack, you get less logs (I don't know if the chances for better drops diminish too or if you get less exp.).

Also, do you guys recommend the DLC? Does it improve the game that much (or makes it more enjoyable or easier to get things done, master classes, etc.)?

Are there any downsides if I do crafting while I am any other non-crafting class? Like when woodcutting (or other types of gathering) while you are not a lumberjack, you get less logs (I don't know if the chances for better drops diminish too or if you get less exp.).

Also, do you guys recommend the DLC? Does it improve the game that much (or makes it more enjoyable or easier to get things done, master classes, etc.)?

You don't get the X skill, which for crafting happens a lot and is pretty useful. Not relevant at low level though. If I'm just trying to make ingots or cloth quick for another crafting class I'll generally not switch since success on these isn't important especially when I only need like one(and it's faster than running out of the building and to the vendors) but whenever I do challenges or quests items that needs to be HQed, I'll go switch. Doesn't take very long really, you just teleport to guild office, change job, then teleport to master, which is always next to a crafting station.

I think only woodcutter/miner have a bonus for being in the class other than the X charge skill. Other classes it's just the special, and well the ability to use class specific gear.

In addition to above about the special skills, you'll also miss out on the stat bonuses for being in that class.

Lizardus

What did you guys use to level up your Tool Blacksmithing skills? I want to get it to at least 15 before I make the clockwork hammer. Currently at level 10.

The story sucks but the NPC dialogue is refreshingly entertaining. The random comments made by the citizens lining up to seen the king in chapter 2 actually made me laugh, which is more than I can say for most other games.

On another note, this game makes me sad that we won't get another Rune Factory. If there's one thing I miss about Rune Factory it's the magical utter lack of any loading times to speak of. Fantasy Life needs just a few more tweaks to be a great game: like shorter loads, a dash that doesn't drain MP, and the ability to turn in bounties without switching jobs.

I found the dash mp only an issue in the first say, 20hours or so of the game. Once it hits like rank 9 or so it drains so slow I can hardly run out of mp. Don't play a magician though, that'd be more annoying. It's capped at 15 now and I think it takes like 5minutes of staight running to empty my bar, which is refilled in seconds with crappy adept alchemy pots anyway. Agree with the bounty stuff and faster loads would always be good, but in general I'd say they're not so bad. I'm more annoyed at the Sleeping black screen thing taking way longer than it needs. It's not even loading, just playing the music, Resting goes like twice as fast.

Zing

Banned
I think the idea behind dash draining SP is to prevent running away from danger easily. In practice, that isn't a factor. Also, the SP drain is trivial.

Ventara

Did this get moved back to Gaming? Nice. Hopefully it'll pull in a few more people.

Anyways, I got all my Lives to Master and just recently finished Chapter 5. I'm at 80 hours.

Ellix

I started laughing when I ran up to
a Celestial Tree
and the intense boss music with chanting in the background started up. Seeing as I deal just 3 damage, I'll wait until later to take it on.

Laconic

Banned
To the people suggesting that my complaints with the story are the result of rushing, or not pacing myself, or trying to min-max: no.

I decided I wanted to play as a tailor-hunter-angler. That's how I wanted to play the game. I avoided the story missions because I found them tedious and horrible (as expressed in my previous post). But I was persistently forced back into the story because I couldn't access the core materials (for the tailor) or the dudes to kill (for the hunter) without progressing. Because of how desperately I hated the vapid story and the way it was told, I picked up a fourth Life/Role: cook (or chef, or whatever it is called). I did this only because I was trying to avoid the story. I didn't want to be forced to do story missions, so I started a different life.

I'm 32 hours in. I'm hero in hunting, master in tailoring and angling, and expert in cooking. I've never rushed. Until the last chapter or two, I only progressed in the story when I absolutely had to, in order to access the shit I needed for my Life missions. (At the very end, once I'd unlocked
Terra Nimbus
, I just crushed the A button for 60-90 minutes and finished the story. I needed that horrific shit done. But until that point, I'd only done the story stuff when forced.)

So my complaints have nothing to do with improper pacing, min-maxing, or rushing on my part. I didn't grow tired of the story because I decided to spend all of my time on it. Instead, I avoided the six-million-word bucket of tripe at all costs, until I was forced to complete story missions to unlock areas.

Now, you might say "Well, it's your fault for deciding to focus on only a handful of lives! Of course you'll be forced into the story if you don't spread yourself out across all of the lives." Well, to that, all I can say is that nothing reeks of horrible game design worse than a character-building RPG where creating a reasonable, believable, focused character is unfun or unsustainable. If the "right" way to play the game is to be a paladin-mercenary-angler-cook-tailor-magician-hunter-miner-carpenter-blahblah, then the game is both more fucked than I thought and poorly advertised. Stupid.

I'm glad to see some other people in the thread who agree with me about just how mind-bogglingly shitty the story missions are. I still can't wrap my mind around it.

I love the game.

And I absolutely LOATHE the story.

Even five year old me, if he were somehow transported into the current gaming climate and thus fully inculcated with the modern emu-animu dreck, would froth in anger at his maturity and intelligence being so blatantly condescended by a video game.

I wish we could skip it completely, and just do the actual playing. I fear for my A button the way a Smash Kid fears for his CPP, playing this game.

Ventara

Didn't realize some people hated the story so much. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Personally, having finished chapter five recently, I love the story. The lighthearted story filled with funny dialogue is great. I don't feel it's wordy either.

Fantasy Life has that really great feeling progression. It's pretty cool that those boss monsters, trees, fish, etc that you pass through are conquered later in the game. It's kind of like the real game is trying to beat these milestones. I like the game, but the component parts of the lives are pretty ass. The battle system is very superficial, the crafting is super repetitive, and there's alot of small inefficiencies that add to frustration. Somehow, at least for me, it clicks together regardless.

But me complain about fucking fishing. It takes like 20-30 seconds to get a fish on average, and the game expects you to get 5 of EVERY fish (except the rare/boss fish) for mastery, which is beyond frustrating. Pretty much every other game with a throwaway fishing system at least gives you some kind of estimation of the type of fish you have on the line before making you commit. Every other challenge in the game can be completed or made significantly easier by playing smart or investing properly in stats/equipment. Catching 5 of every damn fish is just rolling the RNG.

Zing

Banned
I haven't had any complaint as angler. I'm almost done with the expert challenges. Think about the person playing as only an angler. You want the challenges to all be "one and done"?

Grizzo

Yes, the story isn't the greatest of all time but it's short.
1 story arc is only about 1 hour long and Butterfly quests are like less 5 mins each.
Then you're free for the time you want!

But that's just bad game design. I mean, if the story was good, you wouldn't be advising us to switch between exploring Reveria and doing the main quest, just to "breathe" between those long walls of text. It also means that you didn't really like it either, otherwise you would be telling us to get over it and that the story was fine as it is.

I'm not trying to say that the main story of this game is the worst thing I've ever played, but I just don't want to find excuses for it. It is bad, but it's kinda okay, because most other things in this game are great.

Really and i missed it the whole time??

No it unlocks once you finish the DLC Quest, so don't worry, you didn't miss it :)

Grizzo and Laconic are my people.

Haha seriously, I thought I was gonna give up before "beating" the main quest.

Like you I tried to hold the story off until I'm forced to go through it but I was dreading anytime that stupid Quest of Lunares would begin because then I would know I was in for an hour of endless dialogs and pointless interactions.

Fantasy Life has that really great feeling progression. It's pretty cool that those boss monsters, trees, fish, etc that you pass through are conquered later in the game. It's kind of like the real game is trying to beat these milestones. I like the game, but the component parts of the lives are pretty ass. The battle system is very superficial, the crafting is super repetitive, and there's alot of small inefficiencies that add to frustration. Somehow, at least for me, it clicks together regardless.

But me complain about fucking fishing. It takes like 20-30 seconds to get a fish on average, and the game expects you to get 5 of EVERY fish (except the rare/boss fish) for mastery, which is beyond frustrating. Pretty much every other game with a throwaway fishing system at least gives you some kind of estimation of the type of fish you have on the line before making you commit. Every other challenge in the game can be completed or made significantly easier by playing smart or investing properly in stats/equipment. Catching 5 of every damn fish is just rolling the RNG.

Ugh tell me about it. It's so frustrating not knowing what is on the other line of our rod. Plus you have to pick up what you just fished every time you want to try again, since it just won't disappear until you do (thus filling your bags with crappy fish you don't need).

Didn't realize some people hated the story so much. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Personally, having finished chapter five recently, I love the story. The lighthearted story filled with funny dialogue is great. I don't feel it's wordy either.
Yeah, that's how I feel. The story itself is nothing special, but the funny dialogue and endearing characters are what make it interesting. I wish there was more of it outside the main story.

Blair

Banned
I went Miner/Woodcutter/Paladin for ages

Then Merc/Carpenter/Blacksmith

Now i'm blasting through Angler. Yeah the RNG can be annoying but its the kind of life i can put on a podcast and get through in one sitting.

suzu

I finally got Master in one life... Paladin. lol

And I finished the Al Maajik story arc. I liked it -- the characters were cute.

Also dumped most of my dosh on the houses in Port Puerto and Al Maajik. D:

Nasser

Just started the game 1 hour ago. Oh my god! too many boring texts! Will it end? (it's coing from a guy who likes to read when playing jrpgs)

Just started the game 1 hour ago. Oh my god! too many boring texts! Will it end? (it's coing from a guy who likes to read when playing jrpgs)
The tutorial and main story has a lot of text. React to that how you will, but if you like reading I don't see why you'd have a problem with it.

As soon as the tutorial sections are over, you'll be given quite a great deal of freedom BTW.

Kater

Banned
Just press the X button to skim through the whole lot of text. Not a lot you do miss out on, really.

It helps me to get through the story bits on my second playthrough.

Top Bottom