• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Don't know if I'm slow on this, but if you buy 15 items from the Lunares coins person at Pam's, she'll give you a gold goddess statue you can place in your house. If you do that, sometimes Pam will give you a gold coin as well as silver coins for doing her requests.

Arveene

Neo Member
But me complain about fucking fishing. It takes like 20-30 seconds to get a fish on average, and the game expects you to get 5 of EVERY fish (except the rare/boss fish) for mastery, which is beyond frustrating. Pretty much every other game with a throwaway fishing system at least gives you some kind of estimation of the type of fish you have on the line before making you commit. Every other challenge in the game can be completed or made significantly easier by playing smart or investing properly in stats/equipment. Catching 5 of every damn fish is just rolling the RNG.

Ugh tell me about it. It's so frustrating not knowing what is on the other line of our rod. Plus you have to pick up what you just fished every time you want to try again, since it just won't disappear until you do (thus filling your bags with crappy fish you don't need).

Couple of tricks for making fishing easier. You can usually tell what kind of fish you're about to get based off of its HP. Usually there's a common spawn and a rare spawn fish, the rare one will have more HP. I also place a bounty behind me so that when you fish something up, you don't move backwards at all. After you fish it up, just press A some to pick up the item / recast. No need for any repositioning. Doesn't really help that much, but the time does add up if you fish a lot.

Are there rewards for the special requests given by the Life mentors or they're just for bragging rights?

They give 3 gold lunares coins the first time, then I think 1 or 2 when you do them again.

I hit god in a bunch of stuff and tried some requests but so far I haven't even come close to completing one. The mining one has a boss that was destroying me easily, the fish for the angler I didn't even get to 70%, haven't tried others. I'll probably need to stop leveling lives and actually work on making one of the god ones really good. So far I'm thinking I'll try to craft the best rod possible for angler, as it seems to be relatively easier than the other gathering ones which involve fighting, I'm just not sure if that'd be enough with my level, might need to grind a bit to get like lvl 100+ or something, I'm 80 atm.

At least I got my xp boots from doing pam's requests, but god like 2/3 of them were undoable crap, like getting 15 of the rare beetles or crafting god rank stuff that I'm not god in. It takes so long to reset them then check if there's a decent one. Now I really want the pride stuff for like, every class, which kinda sucks, I'll probably need to settle on a single one.

Talking about that, how's Magician in endgame, anyone play those? I have a God Mercenary and it's not bad but the melee aspect can be frustrating especially since you can't cancel your moves so you often lunge right into a multi hit aoe and die instantly.

Something that I still don't understand - does Master version of superskill simply replace the previous one or is there some difference in activation?

I was not feeling this game but this line got me...
Old man: "This is a time when old dirt existed."
Butterfly: "When was old dirt born?"
Old man: "Two years before sarcastic remarks were born."

That is how you do puns Sonic Boom!

Something that I still don't understand - does Master version of superskill simply replace the previous one or is there some difference in activation?

It replaces it, it just becomes a stronger version. You do get an upgrade to the system at God though, you both get another stronger version and a second bar for god mode.

It replaces it, it just becomes a stronger version. You do get an upgrade to the system at God though, you both get another stronger version and a second bar for god mode.

Thanks! Someone in this thread mentioned the second bar so I thought I might be missing something here!

I'm still honestly surprised how much fun I'm having with this game. It was an impulse buy for me, trailers and even Treehouse didn't impressed me much - and yet here I am - 50 hours in without any fatigue in sight.

I could only hope that Dragon Age: Inquisition will be as much adventurous and fun as Fantasy Life is.

Working on Origin Island and I now have all this new material, but no new recipes. When do I get them? Do I need to be lengendary/God in my crafting lives?

Working on Origin Island and I now have all this new material, but no new recipes. When do I get them? Do I need to be lengendary/God in my crafting lives?

Yeah, everything that drops in origin island is for god in training/god rank. And well, random quests there too.

Unrelated, finally got Carpenter to God, crafted the Star Fishing Rod with a divine orb so it was max quality and Other Worldly Fin for fish damage, then respeced to 100focus and went to the angler god request fish and crushed it. Can do the run in 4mins now(most of it is running to the fish and then to the bounty NPC), Gold coins farming yay. I couldn't even touch it with my old Marine Rod but with this one I can just X double charge twice, then X special, then X double charge twice and X special again and fish it like that without caring about anything.

I just put in another ten hours into this game and am almost to 70 hours. I really want to like it and keep playing, but I keep getting tired of it. It takes so long to do anything. I'm trying to do all the Alchemist quests and just getting all the ingredients and actually making the stuff takes so much time. Am I playing this game wrong? How can people put in hundreds of hours and still have fun? I'm at level 41 and still have trouble with a ton of boss monsters. When can I actually take them on? I don't have the DLC and I have no one to co-op with...

Obviously I'm a fan of this game, putting in 70 hours, but I feel like I'm missing something.

I just put in another ten hours into this game and am almost to 70 hours. I really want to like it and keep playing, but I keep getting tired of it. It takes so long to do anything. I'm trying to do all the Alchemist quests and just getting all the ingredients and actually making the stuff takes so much time. Am I playing this game wrong? How can people put in hundreds of hours and still have fun? I'm at level 41 and still have trouble with a ton of boss monsters. When can I actually take them on? I don't have the DLC and I have no one to co-op with...

Obviously I'm a fan of this game, putting in 70 hours, but I feel like I'm missing something.

I dunno, I just like the grind, and every once in a while I just change up jobs and go exploring.

Also thanks to Niraj for helping me defeat the Ancient Ruins bosses. Multiplayer is really fun!

Machine

Yeah, I have been feeling like I've hit a wall too. I have every life at hero but the jump to legend is getting tedious for some of them. The need to farm things like "unknown life form" for multiple crafting tasks is tiresome since most of these things can only be obtained from damage-sink bosses and you need to keep fighting them over and over so you get all the materials you need.

Yeah, I have been feeling like I've hit a wall too. I have every life at hero but the jump to legend is getting tedious for some of them. The need to farm things like "unknown life form" for multiple crafting tasks is tiresome since most of these things can only be obtained from damage-sink bosses and you need to keep fighting them over and over so you get all the materials you need.

I haven't really ran into this too much. Only very few recipes require hard to get components. I think there's only one unknown life form required recipe(I haven't done alchemy or tailor to legend yet though, maybe both of these require one) so killing a mob once isn't a big deal. The mobs don't take that long either, make sure you get companions(or well multiplayer), companions do very good damage and make all the farming that much faster, and they also soak damage for you. Mind you, I kinda killed everything I saw so I ended up with a lot of materials before I knew I'd need it.

Some good early companions(as in pre origin island/god rank) are
Odin(end of al majik chapter), Ophelia(end of elderwood chapter I think?), Miguel(Master Mercenary, or maybe it was Expert)
, they're all fairly tanky but do a lot of damage with their specials. There's some others too but I liked these.

Doing Cooking at the moment, I'm at Hero and completing stuff for legendary, but goddamn, you need at least 2 gold swordfish, and that's if you HQ one of the dish on the first try. That's pretty dumb. HQing food seems harder too, it looks like the "good" roll that would usually work for armor/weapons/etc instead just makes 2 of the food, so you need at least "great" or "top" quality rolls(HQ food and 2x HQfoods results respectively). I'm going to get all my stuff at 15 before I do these, since I need to anyway, and hope I don't fail them. I'll probably save scum for the first time in the game just to make sure I don't have to find another gold swordfish.

Links_fantasy

Just passed the one hundred hour mark and have finished all main quests and have all jobs at least at master level. Got all the bliss unlocks except three and all houses. Completed the Origin Island DLC and done hundreds of side quests. Also decorated each home with their own themes. Might give it a break for a while and come back after I play a few different games for awhile, still very awesome game tho!

Linius

I haven't even touched decorating. Only put a bed in a couple of the houses when I wanted to sleep. Though I usually still go to the inn :p

Got Layton and the Miracle Mask today, first Layton game. Think I'll give that a go.

I haven't really ran into this too much. Only very few recipes require hard to get components. I think there's only one unknown life form required recipe(I haven't done alchemy or tailor to legend yet though, maybe both of these require one) so killing a mob once isn't a big deal. The mobs don't take that long either, make sure you get companions(or well multiplayer), companions do very good damage and make all the farming that much faster, and they also soak damage for you. Mind you, I kinda killed everything I saw so I ended up with a lot of materials before I knew I'd need it.

Some good early companions(as in pre origin island/god rank) are
Odin(end of al majik chapter), Ophelia(end of elderwood chapter I think?), Miguel(Master Mercenary, or maybe it was Expert)
, they're all fairly tanky but do a lot of damage with their specials. There's some others too but I liked these.

Doing Cooking at the moment, I'm at Hero and completing stuff for legendary, but goddamn, you need at least 2 gold swordfish, and that's if you HQ one of the dish on the first try. That's pretty dumb. HQing food seems harder too, it looks like the "good" roll that would usually work for armor/weapons/etc instead just makes 2 of the food, so you need at least "great" or "top" quality rolls(HQ food and 2x HQfoods results respectively). I'm going to get all my stuff at 15 before I do these, since I need to anyway, and hope I don't fail them. I'll probably save scum for the first time in the game just to make sure I don't have to find another gold swordfish.
The companion recommendations are good info, thanks! I always just take my dog everywhere and was thinking I should bring someone else but didn't know who.

The companion recommendations are good info, thanks! I always just take my dog everywhere and was thinking I should bring someone else but didn't know who.

Since I tend to be running around as gatherer/crafter a lot lately while leveling those, my companions actually do more damage than I do by quite a lot. The pets are sadly pretty bad, I kinda wanted to keep my dog, I used it for a long time(100friendship even) but in the end some of the companions you get a bit later in the story are just way way better.

God in Cooking, yay. The grinding to 15 wasn't too bad, at least with the pride but even without. I was fiddling around trying to see the most efficient way to do it when I noticed that pretty much anything you craft sells for more than the material cost anyway, so I just started spamming 10x master foods with auto craft, took like 15mins of not paying much attention to get 15 in everything and I made 400k doing it. Guess I'll do that on every crafting class.

The hero quests were pretty annoying, I had to go fish a few things and what not, then I get to god in training, check the recipes and I had everything already, so that was easy.

Only Alchemy, Tailor and the 3 combat classes other than Merc to go. Tailor already master so won't take too long, think I had everything when I checked, just didn't want to grind to 15 but now that I have the pride it won't be too hard. Then it's gearing up time!

Linius

Turns out a top quality Goddess axe with a soul stone attached got more than enough power to finish the job as a woodcutter. Second God rank I have now :D

Zing

Banned
So I just picked this up. Any tips for a new player? Looks like I have a huge game ahead of me.
Don't be afraid to stick to one life for a while, but also don't be afraid to switch up if you like. The only downsides of switching is that you may get overpowered for the story or you may get overwhelmed. Every life seems to be viable on their own. If you are a crafter, you can buy what you need from shops. If you are a gatherer, you can sell what you gather for money to buy everything. If you are combat, you will get loot to sell for more equipment.

My basics strategy is to progress the story until I get to "explore Reveria", then casually gather/craft/explore until I start getting challenges for areas or items I don't yet have access to. Then I progress the story to the next chapter. Each chapter essentially opens a new area for you.

Zing

Banned

I'll coop with you, but I'm only level 33. I main Paladin and don't have the DLC. Give me a few days to finish the story and I'll join you sometime soon. :)

DontBlink

Question, as I've been having difficulty getting the Cross Cut challenge as a Mercenary. I'm doing the four A press in a slower motion and I'm getting the left sing->right swing->top-down swing->uppercut swing. Is that the actual correct move? I've been multiple monsters with the last swing, but I'm still not getting any kills registered.

Question, as I've been having difficulty getting the Cross Cut challenge as a Mercenary. I'm doing the four A press in a slower motion and I'm getting the left sing->right swing->top-down swing->uppercut swing. Is that the actual correct move? I've been multiple monsters with the last swing, but I'm still not getting any kills registered.

The mercenary combo kinda goes like this: Side swing, other side swing, overhead swing, then 360° swing(this hits twice if you're in the right range), then into whirlwind or tornado depending on timing. I believe cross cut is the 360° part, so you're probably pressing the button too fast, though I have no idea what makes it an uppercut. Make sure to not mash it regardless of timing, you really want to press only once(you can mash for whirlwind later on though but that's cause it's last step). Timing is similar for all 3 hits, basically press A again as you're still swinging.

Mind you merc combo is a bit weird and I still miss it every now and then even though I got God rank. On the flipside, you get a ton of invulnerability frames at the end of the whirlwind combo and it does ridiculous damage for a non SP attack.

Oh also, a reminder, if you companion gets the last hit, you're not gonna get credit. Or if mob dies to another hit. Those challenges are pretty annoying, especially tornado one.

DontBlink

The mercenary combo kinda goes like this: Side swing, other side swing, overhead swing, then 360° swing(this hits twice if you're in the right range), then into whirlwind or tornado depending on timing. I believe cross cut is the 360° part, so you're probably pressing the button too fast, though I have no idea what makes it an uppercut. Make sure to not mash it regardless of timing, you really want to press only once(you can mash for whirlwind later on though but that's cause it's last step). Timing is similar for all 3 hits, basically press A again as you're still swinging.

Mind you merc combo is a bit weird and I still miss it every now and then even though I got God rank. On the flipside, you get a ton of invulnerability frames at the end of the whirlwind combo and it does ridiculous damage for a non SP attack.

Oh also, a reminder, if you companion gets the last hit, you're not gonna get credit. Or if mob dies to another hit. Those challenges are pretty annoying, especially tornado one.

Ok wow, totally my mistakes. I was using a sword instead of a claymore...now I can get the combo pretty regularly.

Chaos17

The answer is within your post.
You seems to only focus on 1 life where other players change job when they're getting bored/burn by one.
Try to change your pace by doing something else, imo.

Niraj

Didn't play a whole lot today, but I think I'm going to try to max out a few skills each day just for something to do. I did armor smithing (which was the last of the blacksmith ones to get up to 20) and mining today. I think tomorrow I'll do sneaking (I'm at 14 lol), woodcutting, and fishing (I think both of those are around 17). I haven't done any fishing in awhile, so that will be fun. I also made a cursed dragon helm today, which looks pretty cool, but was a pain to actually make.

Elija2

I kinda hate the Life-switching mechanic in this game. It's annoying that you have to change your Life every time you want to complete Life-specific challenges and redeem them for stars. I just wish that you could do everything without having to constantly switch between Lives. Keep the Life-specific stat bonuses but let everything else be Life-agnostic.

I also hate that the game always capitalizes the word Life. Okay, maybe hate is a strong word for that complaint.

I kinda hate the Life-switching mechanic in this game. It's annoying that you have to change your Life every time you want to complete Life-specific challenges and redeem them for stars. I just wish that you could do everything without having to constantly switch between Lives. Keep the Life-specific stat bonuses but let everything else be Life-agnostic.

I also hate that the game always capitalizes the word Life. Okay, maybe hate is a strong word for that complaint.
I think that kind of defeats the purposes of the different Life classes. A faster way to swap Lives? Sure. But I don't think homogenizing them would be a good idea.

Linius

I wanted to do the challenge for God woodcutter. Not only can't I touch that tree with my axe. But also,
what on earth is that super strong Mustardino :lol

Elija2

I think that kind of defeats the purposes of the different Life classes. A faster way to swap Lives? Sure. But I don't think homogenizing them would be a good idea.

Well the only differences between the Life classes are the stat boosts (as far as I know). It seems kinda pointless to have them all be separate, especially when the game expects you to be constantly using a bunch of them at the same time (like the resource-collecting classes).

You get credit for the gathering stuff though, only thing you don't get credit for is bounties, which is only annoying in a few places where returning to town first is awkward(like in mt snowspeak, summit is fast but lava cave/waterfall cave stuff is annoying to turn in if you don't go as the class). You don't share credit on the combat classes but I think that kinda makes sense as you'd complete a ton of challenges just running around as one class then. Crafting I have no idea but you'd switch anyway since you're already in town so irrelevant.

Well the only differences between the Life classes are the stat boosts (as far as I know). It seems kinda pointless to have them all be separate, especially when the game expects you to be constantly using a bunch of them at the same time (like the resource-collecting classes).
There's also the class specific skills & weapons/armor. Plus the ally boosts.

The game is about trying different classes (or specializing in a few), not combining them all into one IMO. In towns you should be able to toggle through them quickly, and in the field possibly at save points, or when you're not in battle, but I really don't like the idea of an all-in-one type deal.

lewisgone

Did you guys learn to do all the jobs very quickly, or just focus on a couple for the whole campaign? Because I went and started trying to progress in all of them as soon as I could and it's a little overwhelming. I want to do all the sidequests though.

Did you guys learn to do all the jobs very quickly, or just focus on a couple for the whole campaign? Because I went and started trying to progress in all of them as soon as I could and it's a little overwhelming. I want to do all the sidequests though.
I learned them all at once, and I try to keep them as even as possible throughout.

I basically take each job as far as I can before progressing the story, which so far has kept them all relatively balanced.

I've decided to skip Wizard>Alchemist>Tailor combo for later, when I'll get tired of endgame progression with current Lives.

Zing

Banned
I did only three jobs at first and even that was overwhelming. I realize now that the game is very casual. You can pick any life or two and just do whatever at your own pace.

I picked a few at first, then added more as I went on, but mostly waited until I was done with those until I started others. I started Hunter/Carpenter/Woodcutter but ended up adding Miner/Blacksmith and Angler, which I then dropped cause I didn't have the stats for it and changed from Hunter to Mercenary for a change of pace in combat. Ended up getting Merc/Miner/Wood to God, then went to do Carpenter/Blacksmith but ended up having to level Tailor and Angler to master for that so did that and so on.

At the moment, what I have left mostly untouched is Paladin(only did the starting quest), Magician(funny enough the class I picked to start with but changed as soon as I was done with the starting quest), Alchemist(Adept or something from making a bunch of healing and SP potions). I had Cooking untouched until yesterday but did that and got God in it so that's done.

I'd say if you don't want to feel overwhelmed, pick a combat class that suits your style generally, then the crafting skills that make the weapons and/or armor for it, then the gathering to supply that. It's fairly easy then, you adventure somewhere, gather materials there, then when you're done you go back to town and convert the materials into new gear to go adventure somewhere else.

If you pick Magician I'd highly recommend Alchemy too to churn out SP potions. Then pick whatever you feel like switching. The quests are annoying though as they stay in your inventory for a long time. I have alchemy quests that have been sitting there for like 80 hours(the ones in castelle).

Niraj

Ugh, God challenges for Tailor involve doing the Trial of Light, guess I'll need to get to that. On to God Hunter first!

You can get to God/Creator everything without doing any of the trials.

I wanted to do the challenge for God woodcutter. Not only can't I touch that tree with my axe. But also,
what on earth is that super strong Mustardino :lol

Lol same thing happened to me the first time.

You can get to God/Creator everything without doing any of the trials.

You need 3 protection stones, which only drop from mobs in trial of light OR if you're super lucky, from chests. I don't want to farm chests for 20hours to get 3 rare drops out of them. Unless there's another way I'm not aware of. It's just too unreliable of a way, this is the only life that seems to have that though, every other one has easy to get materials outside the tower(or well not that easy but still reasonable).

Top Bottom