• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

So what do I do with a bounty? I went to grassy plains first time and killed some really big thug. He turned into a box abd now is following me. What do I do with it?

Pretty sure that was explained in the tutorial when you started the game but you simply bring it back to a bounty NPC. There's one in the guild master building(where you change lives) as well as some outside for areas that aren't close to a town. You cannot teleport there directly though, you have to walk, or for the first area, talk to the guide paladin standing at the entrance of the grassy plains, he'll walk you back to town(or wherever you need to go, but for bounties it's the middle of Castelle). Guide paladins work both ways btw, you can talk to one in Castelle to go to Grassy plains instantly.

Also to note on bounties, turning them in with a specific class can complete a challenge, so sometimes changing classes before turning in is better. That requires unlocking the class and looking up what bounty does what so that's annoying.

As for what they give, some dosh and an item per bounty, which varies, generally there's 2possible outcomes with a rarer one that gives good gear.

Velcro Fly

Think today is level up Mining, Blacksmithing, and Fishing day. Fishing is just going to require some patience in getting 5 of the necessary fish in areas I just said fuck it and moved on.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I think I'm going to level my armoursmithing, weaponsmeathing and toolsmithing and same thing for carpenter. Anyone maybe got tips for items I could make that gives good XP and makes a nice profit?

How high is your blacksmith? Going for God? Assuming so, I think the easiest thing for you to make would be the Maajik blade for weapons, Ancient pickaxe for tools (you can buy earth beams from the carpenter shop in Deep Elderwood) or enchanted frying pan, and armor you could do holy armor, though you'd need to make stardust linens. Once you get to God, crescent blades are what I've been making.

Assuming you're also aiming for God for carpenter, you can make ancient saws for tools. You can buy the tails from the mercenary shop outside the house in Al Maajik. Not sure about furniture or weapons, haven't worked on that myself. Maybe the royal stuff for furniture, I think the materials aren't that difficult to get.

I just picked some things that have materials that you can buy. I would just look through your recipes, see what the best thing is that you can complete with purchasable materials, and then constantly make that. You'll make a ton of money no matter what it is, and you'll definitely outstrip whatever you pay for the materials.

My 3DS errored on me. I'm not even sure how many hours I've lost. :(

I hate that. I usually have FL running and sleeping and saving like every so often that I tend to forget... I'd be running around as a merc to get kills and then boom, I come back to a wizard with several bounties behind me. :(

That sucks. Hate when stuff like that happens.

There are four Lunares Coin weapons (Ful de Mar, Dark Sultan's Staff, Spirit King's Bow, Dragon King's Sword) that are stronger than any weapon you can get or craft.

Good luck getting them from the fountain though...

Good to know. With my luck, I'll never see any of them, but good to know anyway :p

Cook is the easiest class to master, it was fun while it lasted.

Also, I love StreetPass!

zlCfzSpAwS0KCsZVrm
That's a really good idea. I currently have a wand attached to mine that I got from another StreetPasser who was further in the game. And while someone may have better or doesn't care about it, it still sells for 6800 gold so it's a nice chunk of change at least.

Tried hitting a relay last night and everything on my 3DS dash lit up except FL. Made me sad. :(

Kater

Banned
C2tDiTL.jpg

Nima is way too strong, time to work on my secondary character, Tenzin (Nimas father who is the hero in an alternate timeline)

Yes, I'm making up my own story now because the vanilla story does nothing for me... 😉

Tried hitting a relay last night and everything on my 3DS dash lit up except FL. Made me sad. :(

I had the exact same thing happen after hitting 3 different Nintendo zones for the streetpass weekend. I have yet to get a Fantasy Life streetpass, hell even my brother-in-law got my streetpass for Fantasy Life but I didn't get his. I need to look into this somehow. But it is sad when every other game I have that has streetpass lights up aside from this one.

Linius

How high is your blacksmith? Going for God? Assuming so, I think the easiest thing for you to make would be the Maajik blade for weapons, Ancient pickaxe for tools (you can buy earth beams from the carpenter shop in Deep Elderwood) or enchanted frying pan, and armor you could do holy armor, though you'd need to make stardust linens. Once you get to God, crescent blades are what I've been making.

Assuming you're also aiming for God for carpenter, you can make ancient saws for tools. You can buy the tails from the mercenary shop outside the house in Al Maajik. Not sure about furniture or weapons, haven't worked on that myself. Maybe the royal stuff for furniture, I think the materials aren't that difficult to get.

I just picked some things that have materials that you can buy. I would just look through your recipes, see what the best thing is that you can complete with purchasable materials, and then constantly make that. You'll make a ton of money no matter what it is, and you'll definitely outstrip whatever you pay for the materials.

Thanks man! Think I'll go with your tips for smithing. Already decided to start with carpentry. Chose to make a ton of Famous Angler's Rods. They gave me 130 xp each and a nice profit too. Made about 60 of them. Once I hit lv. 10 for tool carpentry pretty much every rod was in top quality.

cuzd6MO.jpg

Niraj

I had the exact same thing happen after hitting 3 different Nintendo zones for the streetpass weekend. I have yet to get a Fantasy Life streetpass, hell even my brother-in-law got my streetpass for Fantasy Life but I didn't get his. I need to look into this somehow. But it is sad when every other game I have that has streetpass lights up aside from this one.

Yeah, I hit a ton on that weekend (got well over 100 passes) and only got 1 for Fantasy Life. Was kind of surprised.

Thanks man! Think I'll go with your tips for smithing. Already decided to start with carpentry. Chose to make a ton of Famous Angler's Rods. They gave me 130 xp each and a nice profit too. Made about 60 of them. Once I hit lv. 10 for tool carpentry pretty much every rod was in top quality.

Nice. Another thing that could help is buying the pride items with 3 gold lunares coins each at Pam's. Those help you raise your skills faster.

Got merc to legend, some of those boss fights were kinda "hard". I say "hard" cause really it was mostly about drinking a bunch of potions and sometimes using a life cure when I got caught by a breath attack multihits combo, and a fairly large amount of whacking at stuff. The extreme availability of self rez consumables kinda cheapen the difficulty, though I have yet to do the DLC stuff so I'm hoping it ends up being harder.

With miner/woodcutter/merc at legend and blacksmith/carpenter at hero, I think I'm ready to respec to get angler/weaver/hunter to legend. Blacksmith I'm stuck until I level weaver/angler anyway, I'll finish carpenter maybe I had a bunch of stuff to farm that I did when I was doing merc(overlapping areas yay).

Should probably advance the DLC story line though so I can get the double xp boots or something.

harpingon

Neo Member
I've got hero in woodcutting, mining, fishing and magician. Master in Alchemy

Finding the crafting livess much more tedious than the gatherers. Trying to concentrate on carpentry as it complements the magician somewhat.

But those bench mini games for crafting. Gods no. And, to get maximum items, you can't use multiples option. They are a good way to make dosh though, even buying ingredients I can alchemy my way to riches.

Linius

I don't know what I'm doing with my life, but I bought the mats to make 30 Maajik Blades and 30 ancient pickaxes. When I'm done with that I'll have 1 million+ dosh and hopefully a few good levels up with smithing, toolsmithing and weaponsmithing.

Ultimately I'm only doing this to create better weapons and better armour so I do the tower trials. And of course for a better pickaxe so I can do the two last God rank quests. Same for woodcutter, except that it's only one last thing there to become a God.

It's a bit of work, but it will pay off in the long run.

I've just discovered the wonders of respeccing. After moving stats around I managed to beat the Divine Stone and the Divine Fish and the Divine Tree (I know it's not the real name but you know which one I mean). I now only need to God the Crafting professions now, which are all in Legend - can see the finish line already!

Velcro Fly

Crafted the Gladiator set for defense and the Beastly set for offense and to be worn by other classes. That +2 STR bonus per piece was too good to pass up really.

I think I might be able to chop down some fir trees.

edit: Master Blacksmith! First Life I got up to Master! :D

Yeah beastly set is really good, I used it for most of the game pretty much, only just replaced it since every str based class now has the hero armor reward. Was sad to not see similar options for other stats, they only come very late for other stats(as in legend/god rank).

I'm thirty hours in, I'm sure I'll put another thirty hours in, and I just completed the main storyline.

I just thought I'd come in here and mention that the story missions in this game are unfathomably horrible. I'm absolutely floored that the game hasn't been critically savaged for forcing this heinous, clunky mess onto people who might otherwise enjoy the game. I can't believe the amount of time I've spent looking at the mini-map while chasing red dots to satisfy the game's stupid "Go talk to X!" missions, and then mashing the shit out of the A button in an effort to make it all go away.

Before I say more about just how fucking brutally awful the story missions are, I should emphasize that I like many things about the game. There's a reason that I've endured the stupidest game design in recent history. I think the world looks great, and I've found it very fun to explore on my own time. I think the player interface (menu system, etc.) is clean and tight. The mini-games and the combat are repetitive and easy, but they're both inoffensive. And I've been really, really hooked on everything that goes into fulfilling the Life missions for the gathering and building classes. Really, it's the hunting, collecting, crafting, and buying/selling (mixed with a world design that makes that process fun) that's kept me coming back.

So, in order to enjoy what's good about the game, I was willing to suffer through the story/bliss missions. Now that it's all over, I'm totally baffled about what series of decisions or indecisions led to the fucking mess found in Fantasy Life. Who the fuck wants to read tens of thousands of words of meandering dialogue, told eight words at a time, while running your character from one end of the game world to the other? What would have been lost if the dialogue was halved (or more than halved)? Who would have had less fun if they weren't forced to run from Jimmy in Whereverthefuck to Suzy in Fuckmeville to talk about whatever stupid shit?

Part of the reason the story missions are so dry, I suspect, is that the developers tried to make the story missions to someone who isn't focusing on combat. With this goal in mind, the story missions can't, by and large, involve combat or any other particular skill. But rather than giving us a short-and-sweet narrative that provides a rough framework for people to explore the various Lives/Roles, they forced us to read the world's worst novel, where turning the page requires slamming the A button seven hundred thousand times. The story itself is an atrocity. But I'd hardly have noticed the atrocity if it were 20% as long or involved. The majority of game stories are terrible. I normally don't complain.

If these fine artists couldn't handle cutting down the text or mindless running in their riveting epic, they could have at least made it optional. If I wasn't forced to complete the inane bliss missions to open up new parts of the world, I also wouldn't have complained. But, no. The developers made sure that in order to be able to progress as a Tailor, I had to read every fucking word of their miserable trash. And, adding insult to injury, they prohibited changing Lives/Roles during the story missions. What?!?!

Fantasy Life is great at many things, but does its best to ruin it all. What an absolutely ridiculous experience.

I will now return to the parts of the game I enjoy (of which there are many). But I'm curious to see if anyone else has come away with feelings like mine.

Well, that's a strong reaction. XD

Anyway, as I've mentioned, I've enjoyed the storyline so far, and I find the dialogue humorous and charming. Could it have been streamlined and punched up with some more combat? Certainly, but considering that the rest of the game is very task focused, I don't mind the narrative taking a strong lead in the main story portion. I've spent dozens of hours with almost no character interaction doing the plethora of quests in the game, so I liked breaking it up with some big chunks of text. (I also really happen to like reading, so it never really bothers me.)

In future games, I would like to see the game try to strike more of balance (more combat during the story, and more character intereaction/dialogue during the side quests), but as it is now, I don't think the game does anything egregious in either area.

Grizzo

So my luck is now at 45 and I still can't find a single fucking saphire in Mt Snowpeak. What gives?

Also I've activated
the Hunter special request you get after God's rank
but I can't for the life of me kill that Typhoon Bird. His attacks are way too powerful. El Gato and daydreaming, mah boys, we're gonna have to team up once again to beat that guy (please!).

In other news I've reached level 80 tonight!

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I totally agree about the storyline. I've been saying that a lot in the very same tread. But you nailed all of my complaints in that lenghty post.

Hours Left, I like reading too so it's not about that in my opinion. The writing was just plain bad (I think) and the main quest was really awful. There's just actually no gameplay at all and it only requires you to follow the arrow and mindlessly press the A button.

BooJoh

You might have another problem going on. I wasn't getting any StreetPasses for FL,even through HomePass. Then at the suggestion of someone else I removed ANOTHER game from StreetPass (Shovel Knight in my case) and re-enabled it just to get Fantasy Life out of "slot 1" in the StreetPass management. Now every single HomePass gets me a FL hit. Oddly enough I haven't gotten a single SK hit now, and I don't know if it's the same bug or if there's just nobody using its StreetPass.

You might have another problem going on. I wasn't getting any StreetPasses for FL,even through HomePass. Then at the suggestion of someone else I removed ANOTHER game from StreetPass (Shovel Knight in my case) and re-enabled it just to get Fantasy Life out of "slot 1" in the StreetPass management. Now every single HomePass gets me a FL hit. Oddly enough I haven't gotten a single SK hit now, and I don't know if it's the same bug or if there's just nobody using its StreetPass.

Thanks so much I am going to try this right now. I'll just move ALBW to the first spot, I've filled up on that anyway.

VandalD

Anyone with the DLC want to try out the multiplayer sometime? I'm creator rank paladin in decent equipment, and my hunting and especially magicking are crap enough that I could help out on lower rank stuff without completely overpowering it. Can also craft materials up to Origin Island, at which point only my blacksmith is high enough to make things.

4527-9559-0198
Can I switch to night while playing multiplayer somehow? Resting isn't working.
Probably not, unless you can get everyone to rest at once at the inn. Haven't tried for myself.
So my luck is now at 45 and I still can't find a single fucking saphire in Mt Snowpeak. What gives?
Just very unlucky I guess, despite the stat. I did all the rare mining stuff with 30 base luck wearing an accessory that gave 10 luck. You're mining the summit, right? Where you mine platinum?

zigg

Anyone with the DLC want to try out the multiplayer sometime? I'm creator rank paladin in decent equipment, and my hunting and especially magicking are crap enough that I could help out on lower rank stuff without completely overpowering it. Can also craft materials up to Origin Island, at which point only my blacksmith is high enough to make things.
I don't have the DLC yet. My local friends might be ready for that though soon.

Probably not, unless you can get everyone to rest at once at the inn. Haven't tried for myself.
We did actually try exactly that, by accident. Didn't work. The clerk says time's stopped, so it probably doesn't work in any way. I just closed the portal and went to night, then found the night quest was way too high level for us anyway 😄

Grizzo

Just very unlucky I guess, despite the stat. I did all the rare mining stuff with 30 base luck wearing an accessory that gave 10 luck. You're mining the summit, right? Where you mine platinum?

Haha really? this is awful :(

Yes I'm mining all the platinum deposits (and superior ones too) I can find... And still nothing. I don't have any trouble fullfilling other mining quests (I've found rubies and emeralds easily) but this one... Oh boy.

zigg

I'm at a piddly level compared to the rest of you and my friend(s) are even lower (and none of us have the DLC yet!) but it is just fun to run out together and do random quests with each other.

This game is that much more valuable for its multiplayer mode.

I'm at a piddly level compared to the rest of you and my friend(s) are even lower (and none of us have the DLC yet!) but it is just fun to run out together and do random quests with each other.

This game is that much more valuable for its multiplayer mode.
Your mom is much more valuable for her multiplayer mode!

^_^

I'm only level 20.

Ellix

Alright guys, ornamental carp help. This challenge is driving me crazy

Its spawn point is at the western-most side of Castele, to the top-right of where the large airship platform is. There's a waterfall with a rainbow nearby. It's one of the more elusive fishes (counterpart of Pirate Carp and Evil Carp, for example) and a matter of luck.

Niraj

Finished the trial of light. Boss was easier than I figured it would be, but my level is pretty high now (132).

tm24

Its spawn point is at the western-most side of Castele, to the top-right of where the large airship platform is. There's a waterfall with a rainbow nearby. It's one of the more elusive fishes (counterpart of Pirate Carp and Evil Carp, for example) and a matter of luck.

Ahh, i figured. Is there a way to reset the spawn? Since i assume the fish will have a different shadow?

TheGrue

So I unlocked some ability to fill the meter on the X button and can do an arrow rain if it fills up. For the life of me, I cant figure out what I have to actually do to fill the meter up, though. What am I missing?

Lizardus

So I unlocked some ability to fill the meter on the X button and can do an arrow rain if it fills up. For the life of me, I cant figure out what I have to actually do to fill the meter up, though. What am I missing?

You literally just hit things with your normal arrows to build it up.

However, since its your Hunter special ability, it will not fill up if you are not currently a Hunter.

Thanks for the tip tonight about the ornamental carp. I forgot about that one. Third fish that popped up for me. :D Now time to tuck myself into bed. I'm hoping I'm not training myself to fall asleep after every play session.

So I was strolling through Tortuga and I saw that the usual Swordfish in the whirlpool was a golden color this time, and I was like "Oh, that's different. Maybe I'll get some extra dosh from it." So I cast my line and as soon as it bites I hear music that can only be described as the soundtrack to the end of the world as you battle Lucifer himself.

Needless to say I did a grand total of 0 damage and the magic Satan fish swam away.

On the hunter special, kinda wish the ability wasn't centered around yourself, it's kinda awkward for a ranged class to run into melee range to drop it. I had hoped the master version would have a much larger aoe but it seems to be the same, just with more damage.

Finished the DLC story kinda, now I can collect Lunares coins, not sure I want to do Pam requests 14times though to buy the xp boots(well less since I got a few coins for free), sounds pretty annoying. Maybe I'll wait until I get something to god rank and do those. I really want those pride items too to level up skills, stuff like crafting and weapon skills seem to level insanely slow.

VandalD

On the hunter special, kinda wish the ability wasn't centered around yourself, it's kinda awkward for a ranged class to run into melee range to drop it. I had hoped the master version would have a much larger aoe but it seems to be the same, just with more damage.
Agreed. It has knockback, so you want to get in really close so they're not knocked out of all the damage. But then if it doesn't interrupt big enemies, you're probably about to be in for some hurt. It also sucks when I'm in paladin, my special gauge fills up, and I want to keep blocking attacks. I'll probably never see the double charge specials because blocking is so effective and I don't want to be locked out of it. I'd have liked an option to change special activation to hitting both A and X.

Zing

Banned
This must be a homepass bug. I've never had it happen on any of the systems here in the house.

I noticed I got three street passes for this game the other day. Of course, they are all newbies with blank greetings and zero gifts.

BooJoh

This must be a homepass bug. I've never had it happen on any of the systems here in the house.

I noticed I got three street passes for this game the other day. Of course, they are all newbies with blank greetings and zero gifts.

I had previously heard of the bug outside of Homepass. I can't say for sure if it affected me before Homepass or not, I had Fantasy Life for about a week before I set up Homepass and in that time I had 1-2 Streetpasses with FL last played but never got any FL passes.

Agreed. It has knockback, so you want to get in really close so they're not knocked out of all the damage. But then if it doesn't interrupt big enemies, you're probably about to be in for some hurt. It also sucks when I'm in paladin, my special gauge fills up, and I want to keep blocking attacks. I'll probably never see the double charge specials because blocking is so effective and I don't want to be locked out of it. I'd have liked an option to change special activation to hitting both A and X.

Yeah haven't played my paladin at all but assumed it'd be annoying like that. Doesn't really matter for merc/hunter since I never used X anyway, or charged A for that matter, so the ultimate ability works fine on those but I could see paladin being annoying, not sure about magician either.

Hit master Weaver, found out there's a "15 weaver skill required" challenge, not sure I'll bother with god until I have a bunch of lunares coins for the pride. Cooking and Alchemy also have those apparently, so meh.

Guess I could just craft to make money, and I kinda need to too since I'm currently like under 100k, but at the same time not sure I wanna bother right now, I just needed enough for starry linen to finish blacksmith, gonna do Angler to God to get the scales for carpenter while I'm at it then I'll do Hunter to god and look into farming some Lunares coins before I do the rest.

Not looking forward to getting 15 in everything for Cooking though, that sounds terrible.

Top Bottom