• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Looks great, will buy. Too bad I don't have the PC for it, but I guess the PS3 version will suffice.

xbhaskarx

dLMN8R said:
Ok, since there's a whole lot of splooging going on in this thread, I'll provide my traditional pessimistic look at this game

-When I played it at PAX, the AI was absolute shit. This does not seem to have changed with every further preview I read, hands-on I read, and video I see.

-"Immersive" aspects tend to get more annoying than anything.

-Those two reviews for this game mean nothing - Ubisoft did the same thing with Assassin's Creed, allowing immensely positive prerelease reviews to break embargo.

I hope the game's awesome, it shows a ton of potential, but I'm not buying it until I confident with a couple weeks of reviews and gameplay impressions that my worries are bogus.

You make some good points. Assassin's Creed is the worst game I have ever bought on day one. With so many other games coming out (Fable 2, LBP, etc.) I'll wait until the hype dies down.

This is going to be this year's Bioshock, the game that keeps getting great reviews until people are forced to face their ignorance and realize they've been sleeping on a possible GOTY candidate.

KrawlMan

xbhaskarx said:
You make some good points. Assassin's Creed is the worst game I have ever bought on day one. With so many other games coming out (Fable 2, LBP, etc.) I'll wait until the hype dies down.

I'm sure the OXM UK quote doesn't really help this game's case... :p

OXM UK said:
"Far Cry 2 is this year’s equivalent of Assassin’s Creed… when it comes to enveloping the player in exotic sights and sounds, Ubisoft has absolutely nailed it… What separates Far Cry 2 from other shooters of this ilk is that there really aren’t any rules to follow… The custom map feature makes Halo 3’s editor look like a joke."

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Nice OP!

I had a dream I started this thread last night, for some reason. I guess I'm really hyped for it, despite the load of other great games coming this week and next. I pre-ordered FC2 last month on Steam when they offered FC1 for free if you did so. It's been staring at me from the bottom of my Steam game's list for weeks now :lol

Frenck

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Wow, they say that like it's a good thing...

When it comes to world design and immersion it is a good thing. No other current gen game comes close to Assassin's Creed in these aspects, not even Bioshock.

Tr4nce

Shake Appeal said:
This is going to be this year's Bioshock, the game that keeps getting great reviews until people are forced to face their ignorance and realize they've been sleeping on a possible GOTY candidate.

Yeah, that's how I feel exactly as well. Oh well, the positive about the lack of a GAF hype is that I am looking forward to this game, but my expectations are not high at all. That way things can get only better, right? 9 days to go :)

Shake Appeal said:
I thought the enemy AI was plain terrible?

Zophar

is there going to be a pc demo? I'd like to test see how well my pc can handle it before jumping on the 360 version.

Mr. Durden said:
I thought the enemy AI was plain terrible?
This is one of those 'someone said it and someone else repeated it, and then it was fact' things. From what I've seen in videos Far Cry 2's AI is pretty standard for the industry, and certainly comparable to something like Crysis. Bear in mind this is a dynamic open world, and any lapses are going to be much more apparent than they are in a scripted shooting gallery like CoD4 (which has some of the most disappointing AI behaviour I have seen in recent times). I'm sure if this is a serious issue that it will be reported on in reviews. In the meantime:

Ubisoft also makes some very grandiose claims about Far Cry 2's AI, which makes me far more leery than any promises of beautiful graphics or realistic physics. Every game I've seen that promises realistic artificial intelligence has fallen short. It's not about bad AI, but more about developers making promises they can't back up. According to Ubisoft, Far Cry 2 will sport complex, nonscripted artificial intelligence that has enemies and NPCs reacting to personal needs. I've heard that enemy soldiers will seek shade when it's hot, take breaks then they're tired, and seek out food when they're hungry. Combine these claims with a sprawling world and I find myself having flashbacks of the buildup to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Bethesda Softworks promised some amazingly realistic behavior in its NPCs, but it didn't quite make it. The game was still very good and its characters occasionally showed glimpses of intelligence, but it didn't live up to the hype. I saw an enemy medic pick up a wounded soldier to carry him to safety in Far Cry 2 and was impressed by the action, but until I play the final game myself and see that sort of behavior manifest consistently, I'll take the promises of AI with a generous spoonful of salt.

KrawlMan

Zophar said:
is there going to be a pc demo? I'd like to test see how well my pc can handle it before jumping on the 360 version.

As of July 11th, looks like no demo.

eurogamer said:
Hocking explained: "One reason is, even if we were to give out what you played today - even if we put invisible walls around it and said, here's the demo, you can go anywhere you like inside these walls and play it how you want - that's potentially right there eight-to-ten hours of gameplay. I don't know too many people who are willing to give away a 12-hour game for free."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=176368

JBuccCP

On the AI, I don't know about it overall, but one thing I found funny was when they showed how the guys will run over to wounded guys and try to carry them off as if this was a smart thing to do. Have these people not seen Saving Private Ryan? If one of your guys gets shot by a sniper, running out into the open to save him is not smart. Because, ya know, you'll get shot too.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
pogo pita said:
Yeah, why the hell are they so secretive about the PS3 version?
How are they secretive? The PS3 version has been playable at all games show since the Game Convention...

Dibbz

Blimblim said:
How are they secretive? The PS3 version has been playable at all games show since the Game Convention...
Got any gameplay footage of the PS3 version? I really want to pick this game up since I need my open world FPS fix and I can't run Clear Sky. Just need to know if the god rays are present and shadows are up to the quality seen in trailers for the PS3 version.

Tr4nce

Dibbz said:
Got any gameplay footage of the PS3 version? I really want to pick this game up since I need my open world FPS fix and I can't run Clear Sky. Just need to know if the god rays are present and shadows are up to the quality seen in trailers for the PS3 version.

In the closed FarCry 2 official thread, someone posted a PS3 gameplay video, if I'm correct. Was off-screen though, but quality was good enough.

KrawlMan

Dibbz said:

Found this video in a quick search, tell me if it's what you were lookin for.

Somnia

So I'll post impressions later but I just got home...went to pick up Saints Row 2 and left with it and a free full copy of Far Cry 2 for 360 :D

Somnia

They sent a free copy to GameStop managers so we could play it early and talk about it to customers. I'll post a pic here in a second when I find my usb cord for my phone for people.

Somnia said:
They sent a free copy to GameStop managers so we could play it early and talk about it to customers. I'll post a pic here in a second when I find my usb cord for my phone for people.
Post impressions too.

Edit: Didn't see your other post. :p

Somnia said:

Do it! No spoilers though :/

Somnia

SSPX0016.jpg

I'll start playing it in a few minutes. I have saints row 2 also so dunno how much I'll play.

KrawlMan

Somnia said:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll207/BRacila/SSPX0016.jpg

I'll start playing it in a few minutes. I have saints row 2 also so dunno how much I'll play.

You are a bastard :lol I'm jealous as hell (even though I'm gonna end up picking up the PC version)

Dibbz

KrawlMan said:
Found this video in a quick search, tell me if it's what you were lookin for.
Wow looks so damn awesome on the consoles. There was a bit of PS3 verson in that video but I didn't really get to see any grass up close or anything. Since most of the time I would be crawling through the grass I want it to cast shadows like the PC version.

Definitely creeping upto a day one purchase though.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Already bought this on Steam.

My most hyped game this fall right now.

I hope I can finish Crysis and Warhead in the next couple weeks.

Ahhh, then there's STALKER 1 and 2.

Somnia

Very quick early first impressions:

Graphics are unbelievable...the amount of foilage and stuff going on without a single ounce of slow down is crazy (not crysis good but still). The lighting in this game is very very good.

Sound is also very good. It's one of the better sounding games I've heard with everything reacting and sounding the way it should.

The map is...well they were not joking this game is fucking HUGE.

No negatives for me yet but I'm just starting.

Back to playing...btw the intro is done pretty well.

JBuccCP

Somnia said:
Very quick early first impressions:

Graphics are unbelievable...the amount of foilage and stuff going on without a single ounce of slow down is crazy (not crysis good but still). The lighting in this game is very very good.

Sound is also very good. It's one of the better sounding games I've heard with everything reacting and sounding the way it should.

The map is...well they were not joking this game is fucking HUGE.

No negatives for me yet but I'm just starting.

Back to playing...btw the intro is done pretty well.
Attack a village! Do it!

I've got this paid off. I hope the AI isn't as stupid as the other far cry game, but we'll see. Reviews are pretty good, but they aren't from sites I really want to hear from yet. (1up and IGN)

Somnia

JBuccCP said:
Attack a village! Do it!

I attacked a military base if that counts :lol Explosions rock. Got my first safe house to sleep at and ya...the day night cycle is awesome.

Only negative so far is the enemies take too many bullets to kill, but I am playing on hardcore. Oh and its hard as HELL to see enemies at night. I recommend doing shit during the day at first :D

Somnia

SonOfABeep said:
I've got this paid off. I hope the AI isn't as stupid as the other far cry game, but we'll see. Reviews are pretty good, but they aren't from sites I really want to hear from yet. (1up and IGN)

AI has been pretty good..not excellent. Have had a few enemies just charge at me but thats when they are in groups and they do run for cover and try to flank you which is nice. When they need to reload they don't just do it in the open they run inside or run behind a tree...also they will quickly switch to a pistol or knife if you get up close while they reload so it is pretty good.

Omeyocan

If that serves of any indication, my contact said to me that the PS3 version was approved by Sony in the first attempt compared to the 360 version that was not.

That's good to hear. I don't expect halo level AI, but better than just stand there and shoot like the other Far Cry. How are the controls? Is there good variety in missions? Far Cry Instincts on 360 had AWFUL controls.. very laggy and huge dead zone in the middle.

Somnia

SonOfABeep said:
That's good to hear. I don't expect halo level AI, but better than just stand there and shoot like the other Far Cry. How are the controls? Is there good variety in missions? Far Cry Instincts on 360 had AWFUL controls.. very laggy and huge dead zone in the middle.

Controls are very good. I had to turn down the sensetivity at first,but not they are perfect. Missions can't really comment...I've done 2 missions for my first contact and just met my first buddy who I am going to go meet now at Mikes Bar and probably get more starting then.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Has there been any mention of trophy support for the PS3 version? I'm getting it for PC so it doesn't matter to me, but a coworker was asking and a quick search of this thread shows nothing, so I'm curious.

Somnia said:
They sent a free copy to GameStop managers so we could play it early and talk about it to customers.

That right there says quite a bit: 'We're releasing our game during an absolute flood of new titles, and we KNOW it'll generate word-of-mouth, so let the mouthing begin'.

REV 09

sparky2112 said:
That right there says quite a bit: 'We're releasing our game during an absolute flood of new titles, and we KNOW it'll generate word-of-mouth, so let the mouthing begin'.
a demo would have been better.

Top Bottom