• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

dLMN8R

Shake Appeal said:
This is one of those 'someone said it and someone else repeated it, and then it was fact' things. From what I've seen in videos Far Cry 2's AI is pretty standard for the industry, and certainly comparable to something like Crysis. Bear in mind this is a dynamic open world, and any lapses are going to be much more apparent than they are in a scripted shooting gallery like CoD4 (which has some of the most disappointing AI behaviour I have seen in recent times). I'm sure if this is a serious issue that it will be reported on in reviews. In the meantime:
Oh don't give me that nonsense. Sure, the hands-on comments in this thread from the user who got the game early are reassuring that the AI at least doesn't suck, but from the videos and previews before that, not to mention my own hands-on, nothing at all stood out. Not even close to being comparable to Crysis' AI.

Besides, Crysis blows away the "standard for the industry" when it comes to AI, especially with the improvement that both humans and aliens got in Warhead. It has it share of glitches when you're encountering enemies half a mile away, but I'm talking about pure combat situations - Crysis and Warhead were the first games I've played since FEAR that actually had entertaining, dynamic, and hugely impressive AI.

CAVE343

I still don't know if I should buy it day one. I guess I'l just wait out the reviews from the bigger gaming sites and impressions from here.

Somnia said:
SSPX0016.jpg

I'll start playing it in a few minutes. I have saints row 2 also so dunno how much I'll play.

Now look what you did, you got gametrailers in a frantic panic to find it on torrents. :lol

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=587275

Kibbles

Shake Appeal said:
Nope. There aren't many PS3 videos at all online, actually, but from what I've heard it's pretty equal in looks/performance to the 360 version. This game was originally a PC exclusive, if that has any bearing.

Edit: I tell a lie. Devs released their own comparison vid...

http://www.myps3.com.au/VideoDetail.aspx?id=1032
Yeah, but that's a very old video. Both versions look/run better now from what I've seen.

Oh and a new Xbox 360 Graphics Video today, like the PC one yesterday... I'm guessing PS3 tomorrow? It says Xbox 360 gameplay *shrug* Either way Somnia has the 360 version and said it looks unbelievable, so that's good enough for me :p This is probably the same video posted yesterday, not sure why it says Xbox 360 Gameplay then... - http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14226061/far-cry-2-/videos/FC2graphics090908.html

Dibbz

Kibbles said:
Yeah, but that's a very old video. Both versions look/run better now from what I've seen.

Oh and a new Xbox 360 Graphics Video today, like the PC one yesterday... I'm guessing PS3 tomorrow? It says Xbox 360 gameplay *shrug* Either way Somnia has the 360 version and said it looks unbelievable, so that's good enough for me :p This is probably the same video posted yesterday - http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14226061/far-cry-2-/videos/FC2graphics090908.html
That's the exact same video as the PC version.

:||||

Somnia

So I stopped playing awhile ago and moved onto Saints Row 2,but anywho...I need to try that map editor holy shit!

I finished the "tutorial" which is the entire opening section of the game...lasted a good hour or so, but it never says its a tutorial or acts like one. It was really really well done. Now I can collect missions from anyone in the world and on top of that my buddies offer me alternatives to the missions if I decided to go that route.

Nizz

FWIW, here's some off-screen footage of the PS3 version of the game: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40852.html the video quality isn't the greatest, but you can tell from the video it's running well. I'm going to pre-order this tonight and I can give my impressions of the PS3 version next week (unless someone else gets their hands on a copy of that version sooner :D )

Nizz

Lulz, man. I just went to pre-order the PS3 version of the game at Gamestop, and the girl who rang me up asked her co-worker "Hey, isn't Far Cry 2 only for X-box?" And her co-worker said "No, it's also coming for PC and PS3". Wow, man. Way for them to spread the word that this game is coming for Sony's system too. :( Well, I can't blame her, with almost all the media coverage we've seen is of the PC/360 versions. You'd be hard pressed to find PS3 media on this. That blows...

Somnia

fps fanatic said:
Lulz, man. I just went to pre-order the PS3 version of the game at Gamestop, and the girl who rang me up asked her co-worker "Hey, isn't Far Cry 2 only for X-box?" And her co-worker said "No, it's also coming for PC and PS3". Wow, man. Way for them to spread the word that this game is coming for Sony's system too. :( Well, I can't blame her, with almost all the media coverage we've seen is of the PC/360 versions. You'd be hard pressed to find PS3 media on this. That blows...

and the only copy they sent to stores for free was the 360 version :lol

Nizz

Somnia said:
and the only copy they sent to stores for free was the 360 version :lol
I rest my case! :D Glad to hear the game looks hot, though. Can't wait for next week...

Tr4nce

Thanks for the impressions Somnia! Can you maybe tell me how it all looks and feels when the night falls? How is the sky, how are the sounds at night? :)

Thanks in advance.

Somnia

Tr4nce said:
Thanks for the impressions Somnia! Can you maybe tell me how it all looks and feels when the night falls? How is the sky, how are the sounds at night? :)

Thanks in advance.

The sounds are great! Just hearing all the animals and wind blowing is fantastic, but when out of no where animals go running by you in the woods it scared the FUCK out of me :lol

I haven't played long enough for it to turn to night time (I've slept and turned it to night time) but I have played long enough for the sun to rise and it was beautiful. It's really a sight to see. The sky is pretty good.

I assume that this game is streetdated for 10/21? Next Tuesday is going to be righteous (Fable 2, LBP, and FarCry 2, OMG ALL OVER MY FACE!!111)

Tr4nce

Somnia said:
The sounds are great! Just hearing all the animals and wind blowing is fantastic, but when out of no where animals go running by you in the woods it scared the FUCK out of me :lol

I haven't played long enough for it to turn to night time (I've slept and turned it to night time) but I have played long enough for the sun to rise and it was beautiful. It's really a sight to see. The sky is pretty good.

Holy nipples, thanks man. Don't understand why so few people are excited for this game. Sounds like it's awesome.

Somnia

Saren is Bad said:
I assume that this game is streetdated for 10/21? Next Tuesday is going to be righteous (Fable 2, LBP, and FarCry 2, OMG ALL OVER MY FACE!!111)

I think its 10/24 according to stuff I've read. Every website keeps saying the 21st though.

Saren is Bad said:

for me I also have to get MC 4!!!

4 great games in one week!!!

Tr4nce

Francias Castiglione said:
That map maker video is insane!!

You should see the first one. You can even set the time of day which you want for the map and everything. I really don't want to say this but IMO this is sleeper GOTY material.

Tr4nce said:
You should see the first one. You can even set the time of day which you want for the map and everything. I really don't want to say this but IMO this is sleeper GOTY material.

Yeah I saw the initial one and it looked great, but it didn't show anything about caves or allowing carving into the terrain as well. It doesn't appear to be restricted by the African setting either.

I'm torn here, I already hav Gears 2 payed off (collectors edition), but I've been wanting this game for a very long time since I first saw videos of it. Should I go reserve or pick up a copy when it comes out, or wait until I'm done playing Gears 2, I can't decide!!!

Somnia

CrazedArabMan said:
I'm torn here, I already hav Gears 2 payed off (collectors edition), but I've been wanting this game for a very long time since I first saw videos of it. Should I go reserve or pick up a copy when it comes out, or wait until I'm done playing Gears 2, I can't decide!!!

I must warn you...from what I've played and read...this game is long...very long.

I just rewatched that editor video again. I don't know how I missed it the first time, but they recreated the Montreal olympic stadium. Wow. That's amazing.

Top Bottom