• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

dork

Banned
DSCN1636.JPG

fire + wind is cool

dork

Banned
yeah thats 360

Graphics are really good (camera + tv= stupid)

Multiplayer screenshot btw. Havent started singleplayer. Played a little 5 man team deathmatch. Quite entertaining. Multiplayer levels so far seem small though.

painey

Kabouter said:
No monsters whatsoever.

fucking awesome.

ps dork you should not be allowed to ever post pics of your tv again, you make this beautiful game look like a ps2 game with those shots :lol

Mohonky

Are there any definite Xbox360 build videos? I'd like to see what it runs like on Xbox360 as opposed to watching uber specced out PC vids.

REV 09

Mohonky said:
Are there any definite Xbox360 build videos? I'd like to see what it runs like on Xbox360 as opposed to watching uber specced out PC vids.
most videos posted are 360 videos. I know that the one i posted above is.

Mohonky

REV 09 said:
most videos posted are 360 videos. I know that the one i posted above is.

Really? If some of the videos I've been watching in dev commentaries and game events are from Xbox360 builds, mind am blown. Best looking console game ever if this be the case. By a longshot.

Edit: I just watched some of the video you posted. Holy fucking shitballs. Thats the Xbox360 build? Fark. Looks unbelievable, so smooth and at the same time such gorgeous and natural looking scenery.

Can't wait.

dork

Banned
dk_ said:
What's wrong with the weapon + hand texture?
its a shitty camera, i thought i said that

Somnia said:
No idea honestly...looks different on my tv.

of course it does, its hard to take a picture of a tv with a camera and make it look good

painey said:
fucking awesome.

ps dork you should not be allowed to ever post pics of your tv again, you make this beautiful game look like a ps2 game with those shots :lol

see above

DSCN1637.JPG

Nizz

dork said:
sadly yes

Going to start singleplayer in a bit. I think the multiplayer already exceeded my expectations.
Hey, how are the controls? I heard sprint was mapped to the left stick like COD 4. Is it just like COD 4 where you click the stick and just run? Or do you have to hold the left stick down as you run like in Battlefield: Bad Company? Battlefield's way was horrible to me... Thanks for the impressions!

Somnia

fps fanatic said:
Hey, how are the controls? I heard sprint was mapped to the left stick like COD 4. Is it just like COD 4 where you click the stick and just run? Or do you have to hold the left stick down as you run like in Battlefield: Bad Company? Battlefield's way was horrible to me... Thanks for the impressions!

You just click it, but it doesn't last very long. You'll get a blurry vision and run out of breath if you do it too long. Which makes sense because....well I don't want to say you'll find out at the beginning of the game :lol

Somnia

dork said:
of course it does, its hard to take a picture of a tv with a camera and make it look good

Ah much better with that second pic :D I haven't played multi yet...are there a decent amount playing?

dork

Banned
Somnia said:
Ah much better with that second pic :D I haven't played multi yet...are there a decent amount playing?

I only played a game, got 6 or 7 people. The map was really small. I made a game just to browse more maps. Maybe I need to try a different mode, but so far maps are kinda small.
It was quite fun though. Feels like a more realistic counter strike

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Warm Machine said:
The map editor is the biggest selling point for me. Loved the original Xbox Far Cry map editor. This one looks crazy versitile.

Same. Best shooter by far on xbox 1. Too bad it comes out at the worst time! Why did they not wait till December, but I'll have it soon enough.

Midnight Believer said:
http://www.totalpcgaming.com/games/far_cry_2/

There is a review for FC2 at Total PC Gaming its not quite as positive as the other reviews so far
the verdict was 7/10
Distillation: they don't like lengthy travel times, respawning checkpoints, weapon degradation.

No mention of enemy AI, which is still what worries me most.

Edit: I hadn't read reviews from here before, so I did a check. Worryingly, they seem pretty free with high scores. Crysis, Warhead, Mass Effect, Spore, STALKER Clear Sky, and Gears of War all received 9.

The only other 7 I found while skimming was... Assassin's Creed. :/

Somnia

Shake Appeal said:
Distillation: they don't like lengthy travel times, respawning checkpoints, weapon degradation.

No mention of enemy AI, which is still what worries me most.

Edit: I hadn't read reviews from here before, so I did a check. Worryingly, they seem pretty free with high scores. Crysis, Warhead, Mass Effect, Spore, STALKER Clear Sky, and Gears of War all received 9.

The only other 7 I found while skimming was... Assassin's Creed. :/

I can agree with the lengthy travel times its a bit annoying (but I've found this problem in Saints Row 2 also...it's just an issue in open world games...do give free easy travel like GTA4 and diminish the size of the world or do you make players travel so they can experience how large this world is...and this world in FC2 is fucking HUGE) and I can also agree on the respawning checkpoints for the enemies. Granted this is a military that is in control of course they are going to re-occupy the area...it doesn't happen instantly or very quickly it takes awhile and you arent going to be going back and forth through the same checkpoint all the time and if you are just take the shortcut through the woods.

Weapon degradation...haven't noticed, but that's because I am grabbing new guns a lot :D

I enjoy the enemy AI so far. They are pretty damn smart. They freak out when there is fire or if gun fire comes from somewhere they did not expect. They flank and use cover well. They also sneak up on you in the foilage while you are firing at other enemies. They aren't the best AI I've ever seen, but they are very well done (except those guys in the car that like to charge at my car when will they ever learn :lol ).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think weapon degradation has ever been good in any game I've ever played. At absolute best it's tolerable.

Somnia said:
I enjoy the enemy AI so far. They are pretty damn smart. They freak out when there is fire or if gun fire comes from somewhere they did not expect. They flank and use cover well. They also sneak up on you in the foilage while you are firing at other enemies. They aren't the best AI I've ever seen, but they are very well done (except those guys in the car that like to charge at my car when will they ever learn :lol ).
This is very comforting to hear.

Travel times generally don't bother me (I very, very rarely quicktravelled in Oblivion for instance, only later on in the game when I was had got bored of it and just wanted to grab some achievements; similarly, I only used taxis in GTAIV after the main quest was finished) if the game world is compelling enough. I can definitely see how constant checkpoint battles and degrading weapons could become irksome, though.

I don't put much faith in the OXM/OPM reviews, but PCG UK have always been reliable over the years, and a 94% from them is big news. I guess it will take a few more reviews before some sort of consensus becomes clear. I think it's definitely a day one for me regardless, loving as I do open world games and shooters.

Game looks so good.
Im going to wait till some people get some hands on time with the ps3 version before
I decide which version to get.

KrawlMan

Shake Appeal said:
This is very comforting to hear.

Travel times generally don't bother me (I very, very rarely quicktravelled in Oblivion for instance, only later on in the game when I was had got bored of it and just wanted to grab some achievements; similarly, I only used taxis in GTAIV after the main quest was finished) if the game world is compelling enough. I can definitely see how constant checkpoint battles and degrading weapons could become irksome, though.

I don't put much faith in the OXM/OPM reviews, but PCG UK have always been reliable over the years, and a 94% from them is big news. I guess it will take a few more reviews before some sort of consensus becomes clear. I think it's definitely a day one for me regardless, loving as I do open world games and shooters.

I'd love to actually read the reviews from OXM/OPM/PCG UK. The score is great and all, but I wanna find out what their negatives might have been.

I also wish I knew when we would be seeing reviews from IGN/1up/Eurogamer etc...

Edit:

Found some information about the negatives from the PC Gamer UK article

But it's definitely not all perfect, says the mag, sticking the "under-used" buddy system ("you can't, for instance, invite them to help you on tough tasks") on its negatives list, as well as AI baddies that respawn after you've taken them down ("I stopped caring after this first couple of hours")

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=197582&site=cvg

Mister D

Damn now I'm conflicted. I plan on getting the PS3 version and all this talk of crap framerates and now complaints about the single player are making me consider holding off on this game. Also, there hasn't been too much mentioned about the multiplayer and that's one of the main reasons for my interest in this game. Hopefully some more reviews come out to ease my fears. Although that framerate thing is really making me hesitant.

NVM, the stuff about PS3 framerate was FUD from a preview build.

Apparently, it runs well on both platforms. :D

The 7/10 score pretty much confirms there's no "Score embargo" like there was for AC.

I think the Euro mags (Edge, Eurogamer, CVG) are going to grade this game slightly higher than the US guys (IGN, 1up, Gamespot) who all seem to be much more interested in Call of Duty WaW.

Nizz

Mister D said:
Damn now I'm conflicted. I plan on getting the PS3 version and all this talk of crap framerates and now complaints about the single player are making me consider holding off on this game. Also, there hasn't been too much mentioned about the multiplayer and that's one of the main reasons for my interest in this game. Hopefully some more reviews come out to ease my fears. Although that framerate thing is really making me hesitant.
What? Who was talking about bad framerates?
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Wait, why was the PS3 framerate thread locked? Is that info true or just FUD?
Which thread was this?

*edit* whew, nvm.

Mister D

FUD yeah. Ok, I'm back on track for this then. Hopefully, the checkpoint and weapon degradation don't piss me off too much. And hopefully, if the weapons feel as good as COD4, then I can expect to be playing mostly multiplayer anyways. Thanks.

okrim

Banned
fps fanatic said:

Which thread was this?

*edit* whew, nvm.
Closed. However forgive me, my thread was wrong . The frame rate dips are occasionally.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I think the Euro mags (Edge, Eurogamer, CVG) are going to grade this game slightly higher than the US guys (IGN, 1up, Gamespot) who all seem to be much more interested in Call of Duty WaW.
Being more interested in a Treyarch CoD than this should be punishable somehow.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait, why was the PS3 framerate thread locked? Is that info true or just FUD?
It was FUD. The game looks great on PS3.

Here is some of the most recent footage from PS3...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40852.html?type=

If you look around 1:13 in the video, you'll see several prompts proving this is the PS3 version. The framerate looks perfectly fine. I'm sure both versions will have slowdown at various points simply due to the nature of the game.

That just blows me mind. The new CoD appears to be more of the OLD CoD from the makers of the worst installment in the series (CoD3). I just can't imagine why anyone is excited for more Scripts of Duty in the first place.

Far Cry 2 is also a bit of an unknown quantity at this point, but at least they are trying something interesting and different.

belvedere

Junior Butler
fps fanatic said:

Which thread was this?

*edit* whew, nvm.

Long story but basically it comes down to a translated statement from one of the developers someone posted at beyond3d.

The original poster has since refined his comments a bit. It turns out the dev said that under heavy load, the PS3 version is more likely to drop to 25fps than the 360 ver.

Edit:

Here's the quote from the dev

I do not think it normal that transcends both. The PS3 version of this brilliant, is exactly like that of 360, only there is a difference of 5 fps when what has charged at that time is quite heavy. If this is a hit for you, after all the work that there is behind the two versions to make them roughly equal, it is quite disheartening. Moreover, to see if when you play someone tells me that these note 5 to 0 fps difference. Already he goes.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=48001&page=10

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone have an idea as to whether or not the PC version supports a 360 pad? I do have a nice lap desk for nostromo + mouse play in the living room, but sometimes I just prefer to use a gamepad. It seems like it would be foolish to buy this on any other platform as the PC version supports higher quality visuals than the console games (most console to PC ports simply offer improved image quality and framerate, but this seems to go beyond that).

REV 09

Somnia said:
I can agree with the lengthy travel times its a bit annoying (but I've found this problem in Saints Row 2 also...it's just an issue in open world games...do give free easy travel like GTA4 and diminish the size of the world or do you make players travel so they can experience how large this world is...and this world in FC2 is fucking HUGE) and I can also agree on the respawning checkpoints for the enemies. Granted this is a military that is in control of course they are going to re-occupy the area...it doesn't happen instantly or very quickly it takes awhile and you arent going to be going back and forth through the same checkpoint all the time and if you are just take the shortcut through the woods.

Weapon degradation...haven't noticed, but that's because I am grabbing new guns a lot :D

how are the controls? someone from the txb forums was saying that the controls were "wonky" and not as smooth as Halo/CoD.

Also, can you post a rundown of the control scheme? thanks

Top Bottom