• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Zeliard

KrawlMan said:
The fake widescreen was created by taking off from the top and bottom of the "normal standard" as opposed to extending the image to the left and right.

The WSGF fix wasn't like that, was it?

bee

the a.i is constantly firing out the side of their guns, i actually had one guy sprinting backwards towards me and he was shooting and it was practically going through him and straight at me :|

Nikorasu

*cough* Well, the game is great until it crashes after you've played for 2 hours without saving. :(

EDIT: Also, I found a gold rifle. :eek: Any idea what it does? I'm assuming it doesn't rust.

Boiling_Point_-_Road_to_Hell_Coverart.png

Boiling Point: Road to Hell

...so people don't have to keep throwing out the STALKER comparision

Anyone remeber this one? ....I just remebering it was pretty ambitious but an equally buggy POS

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
AgentOtaku said:
Boiling_Point_-_Road_to_Hell_Coverart.png

Boiling Point: Road to Hell

...so people don't have to keep throwing out the STALKER comparision

Anyone remeber this one? ....I just remebering it was pretty ambitious but an equally buggy POS

Equally buggy? Boiling Point is Warcraft 3 in bugginess compared to Far Cry 2.

That game was just plain broken.

Still quite fun though... and a but more ambitious than FC2.

Never...

Looks like the .config is in my documents\my games\far cry 2\gamerprofile.xml

though you need to obviously open it up with Wordpad or Notepad

includes the following:

FlyinJ said:
Equally buggy? Boiling Point is Warcraft 3 in bugginess compared to Far Cry 2.

That game was just plain broken.

Still quite fun though... and a but more ambitious than FC2.

I meant it was as equally buggy as it was ambitious...not comparing it to FC2

But yeah, it was pretty much broken

JSnake

I have a weird problem. After playing the game for a while (30 minutes or so) in one session, the frame rate will drop drastically. Talking from 40FPS to the low teens. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the complexity of the scene because it's happened in doors as well as out doors. Anyone experienced this? The frame rate goes back up after a minute or two but it's really annoying.

KrawlMan

Zeliard said:
The WSGF fix wasn't like that, was it?

When I say "fake widescreen" what I mean is the widescreen thats being implemented in Far Cry 2 right now. The WSGF fix just brought the FOV to what it should be (ie. From "Bioshock widescreen" to "Normal widescreen").

Somnia

Well I just played the PS3 version up till you meet your first buddy. I notice no difference between the PS3 or the 360 version as of now.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Played a little bit more tonight. Even though it looks pretty bad on my laptop I love the gameplay so far. Weapon jamming = awesome and I have no problem with the shooting mechanics. I'm looking forward to playing it on my desktop, I should be able to just copy the whole save folder over right?

KrawlMan

plagiarize said:
dear PC gaffers.

there is NO such thing as fake widescreen. i thought we'd all have learnt this by now.

Ok, the aspect ratio we are given is indeed 16:10 (or 16:9 depending on the screen) and if you go by that, then no...its not fake. But going by the fact that this image is being cropped vertically instead of expanded horizontally, I don't see the problem with calling it "fake".

What is it called since apparently I haven't learnt it by now.

dLMN8R

This whole widescreen nonsense is such bullshit. 2K explained what they did and why they did it time and time again, but no one listened:

Bioshock was designed with widescreens in mind, on widescreens, for widescreen gamers

The entire game - the FOV, the interface, and more, was designed for widescreens.

ONLY AFTER designing the game for widescreens, did they go and later put in support for 4:3 resolutions

They obviously couldn't adapt for 4:3 screens by cropping off the sides, so they added on top and bottom.

This probably holds exactly true with how Far Cry 2 was designed as well.

People think that the widescreen version is "cropped", assuming its implementation taking place after the 4:3 design, when in actuality, it's the other way around. Widescreen support was handled before 4:3 design.

KrawlMan

dLMN8R said:
This whole widescreen nonsense is such bullshit. 2K explained what they did and why they did it time and time again, but no one listened:

Bioshock was designed with widescreens in mind, on widescreens, for widescreen gamers

The entire game - the FOV, the interface, and more, was designed for widescreens.

ONLY AFTER designing the game for widescreens, did they go and later put in support for 4:3 resolutions

They obviously couldn't adapt for 4:3 screens by cropping off the sides, so they added on top and bottom.

People think that the widescreen version is "cropped", assuming its implementation taking place after the 4:3 design, when in actuality, it's the other way around. Widescreen support was handled before 4:3 design.

I honestly don't care if they pull that shit where they say the game was designed for widescreen first...they needed to expand the FOV for the widescreen perspective, cause right now it really fucking sucks.

I'm not the only person out there who feels that the current FOV is claustrophobic and dizzying. As I stated earlier, when I first started playing one of my first instincts was that I needed pull the camera away.

chespace said:
The hate on the Ubi forums is amazing.

Folks are up in arms over there.

Poor Kimi. :(

Just skimming through there and the "community" sounds like a bunch of morons...sorry

Here's a choice quote

Zakkwylde said:
This game feels like I am playing a crude console shooter on my PC! The original FC is better than this lame duck. I am stunned, shocked, and in disbelief about how horrible this title has turned out to become. Watching television is MORE entertaining than playing this game. Stairing at the WALL could even be more FUN. Peeling a sack of potatoes is DEFINATELY more fun. 8 year olds may get a kick out of this game, but this is a nightmare to the FPS community!

Where do I start? Where do I END? The list is so HUGE on why this game SUCKS.

And I am not going to even bother going into detail as to why when I have already been cheated by UBI/Game Devs. The hype got me into this game, and now the reality of this FLOP has got me running away.

I am doing a chargeback with my credit card to GET MY MONEY BACK.

I mean...this ....wtf is this?

FatalT

Banned
Using nvidia's 178 drivers:

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1440x900 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Total Frames: 1795, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 35.19
* Max. Framerate: 60.09 (Frame:0, 0.02s)
* Min. Framerate: 22.59 (Frame:1020, 28.02s)

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1440x900 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Total Frames: 2221, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 43.54
* Max. Framerate: 69.23 (Frame:173, 3.00s)
* Min. Framerate: 27.47 (Frame:1781, 41.61s)

Using nvidia's beta 180 drivers from October 21st:

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1440x900 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
Loop 1

* Total Frames: 2155, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 42.25
* Max. Framerate: 58.15 (Frame:323, 6.41s)
* Min. Framerate: 30.78 (Frame:1634, 39.04s)

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1440x900 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Total Frames: 2535, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 49.70
* Max. Framerate: 78.87 (Frame:375, 6.20s)
* Min. Framerate: 29.87 (Frame:1862, 36.65s)

I'm impressed. Using Ultra High Settings and the Ultra High Settings with shadows set to Very High I get about 7 more FPS with the 180 drivers.

newsguy

dLMN8R said:

Then let me tell you that I don't know who the fuck taught them how 16:9 works. Any engineer who works in the TV industry will tell you that you're losing 30% from the sides of a 4:3 image when compared to 16:9. It's not the other way around. There's no logical reason why people playing in 16:9 should be getting this:

bioshockws.png

End of story. The widescreen gamers should enjoy the benefits, not suffer the consequences.

Zeliard

Far Cry 2 gets better the more I get into it. Guess it's just one of those games.

AgentOtaku said:
Just skimming through there and the "community" sounds like a bunch of morons...sorry

Here's a choice quote

I mean...this ....wtf is this?

Yeah, that's some nonsense. It's a definite improvement over the original.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JSnake said:
I have a weird problem. After playing the game for a while (30 minutes or so) in one session, the frame rate will drop drastically. Talking from 40FPS to the low teens. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the complexity of the scene because it's happened in doors as well as out doors. Anyone experienced this? The frame rate goes back up after a minute or two but it's really annoying.

Running out of RAM on GPU?

jett

D-Member
newsguy said:
Then let me tell you that I don't know who the fuck taught them how 16:9 works. Any engineer who works in the TV industry will tell you that you're losing 30% from the sides of a 4:3 image when compared to 16:9. It's not the other way around. There's no logical reason why people playing in 16:9 should be getting this:

bioshockws.png

End of story. The widescreen gamers should enjoy the benefits, not suffer the consequences.

What are you, fucking retarded? Video games aren't limited to a frame like movies. Developers can stretch or shrink the field of view as they see fit. Instead of cropping the image for 4:3 displays, some developers choose to open up the FOV vertically. Deal with it already jesuschrist.

Well, I think I'm a fan. The way you actually DO everything in first person is really awesome, and I especially like how your character interacts with other characters. I've started to especially enjoy the story elements, and am suprised at how much I look forward to a rewarding interaction with a character at the end of a series of firefights. Also, the choices you have that it doesn't bonk you over the head with are really great. General Example: You use a character, you know he's a pretty bad dude, but after the scripted event of you using him, you're free--walk away or put a bullet in his head, the choice is there but it never really states it. Love it.

newsguy

jett said:
What are you, fucking retarded? Video games aren't limited to a frame like movies. Developers can stretch or shrink the field of view as they see fit. Instead of cropping the image for 4:3 displays, some developers choose to open up the FOV vertically. Deal with it already jesuschrist.

I may be retarded, but I can guarantee my brain knows my image is being cropped. I haven't played FC2 yet, but I remember playing through Bioshock before the patch and knowing that the image wasn't being shown properly. If you're fine with the image looking zoomed in too far then more power to you. Oh, and eat my ass you negative bitch.

artist

Banned
KrawlMan said:
If you play widescreen, pray that they patch it soon lol. I decided I'm just going to stop playing until its fixed.

For those that aren't up to date, heres the best way to explain the FOV problem. Just replace "Bioshock" with "Far Cry 2" :p

bioshockws.png
Tell me this is fixed (in BioShock) now .. I was planning on playing BioShock and wait on FC2 until this issue is fixed.

newsguy

irfan said:
Tell me this is fixed (in BioShock) now .. I was planning on playing BioShock and wait on FC2 until this issue is fixed.

Yes, it was patched. Once you put the game in it will prompt you to download it.

EDIT: beaten.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
MaritalWheat said:
Well, I think I'm a fan. The way you actually DO everything in first person is really awesome, and I especially like how your character interacts with other characters. I've started to especially enjoy the story elements, and am suprised at how much I look forward to a rewarding interaction with a character at the end of a series of firefights. Also, the choices you have that it doesn't bonk you over the head with are really great. General Example: You use a character, you know he's a pretty bad dude, but after the scripted event of you using him, you're free--walk away or put a bullet in his head, the choice is there but it never really states it. Love it.
Agreed. Earlier I got run over by a truck and died, then my buddy helped me up and gave me my pistol back as he was firing at the baddies. I got up looked down and ripped a twig out of my forearm, all in first person. It's so immersive.

dLMN8R

newsguy said:

http://images.pikapuff.com/games/bioshockws.png

That example is exactly what I'm talking about. The developers specifically wanted the players to see what they saw, and they designed what the players would see starting with widescreen. That picture with red lines on it is nothing more than an arbitrary drawing of an abstract concept.

Yes, 2K later released a patch that "fixed" that problem, but the only thing that did was give players the option of a larger field of view if they wanted it. The original field of view - the FOV that players of the unpatched game see while playing the game widescreen - looks exactly as the developers intended it to look.

FatalT

Banned
Nvidia's 180 beta drivers fixed the mouse movement for me. It used to feel kinda sluggish and slow but now it feels how it should be. Aiming is going to be a cinch now!

dLMN8R said:
That Bioshock example is exactly what I'm talking about. The developers specifically wanted the players to see what they saw, and they designed what the players would see starting with widescreen. That picture with red lines on it is nothing more than an arbitrary drawing of an abstract concept.

Yes, 2K later released a patch that "fixed" that problem, but the only thing that did was give players the option of a larger field of view if they wanted it. The original field of view - the FOV that players of the unpatched game see while playing the game widescreen - looks exactly as the developers intended it to look.

this.THIS.FUCKING THIIIIIS!!!!

dLMN8R

In Bioshock, and by extension, Far Cry 2, you are not losing 30% of the image. The game was designed with widescreen in mind from the get-go. It just so happens that, being secondary to the original design, 4:3 gets an extra 30%, since the developers didn't want to crop the designed-as-intended widescreen mode.

jett

D-Member
dLMN8R said:
That example is exactly what I'm talking about. The developers specifically wanted the players to see what they saw, and they designed what the players would see starting with widescreen. That picture with red lines on it is nothing more than an arbitrary drawing of an abstract concept.

I don't think he has the brains to understand this.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

So you guys remember the video of the gnu running into the stopped car and dying? Well it happened to me today. Three times. In a row. With zebras.

2ajqtxt.jpg

newsguy

dLMN8R said:
The original field of view - the FOV that players of the unpatched game see while playing the game widescreen - looks exactly as the developers intended it to look.

And I'm one of the people who played it from beginning to end without the patch. What I mean is that compared to other FPS you knew right away that it felt like the image was overscanning. It's fine that they intended it to look that way, but their idea of what we should see felt claustrophobic. Now, in a game like Bioshock that may be a good thing because of it's theme, but out in the open fields of Africa it doesn't tranlate so well.

KrawlMan

BobFromPikeCreek said:

So you guys remember the video of the gnu running into the stopped car and dying? Well it happened to me today. Three times. In a row. With zebras.

2ajqtxt.jpg

omg thats hilarious :lol If only you had recorded it

dLMN8R

newsguy said:
And I'm one of the people who played it from beginning to end without the patch. What I mean is that compared to other FPS you knew right away that it felt like the image was overscanning. It's fine that they intended it to look that way, but their idea of what we should see felt claustrophobic. Now, in a game like Bioshock that may be a good thing because of it's theme, but out in the open fields of Africa it doesn't tranlate so well.
Being claustrophobic is the exact reasoning they used for the FOV, in fact. I'm someone who never plays a competitive FPS on my widescreen monitor with an FOV less than 100 degrees. For Bioshock, however, I completely agree with the developers that the decision they made was the right decision for that game.

Kibbles

Man the MGL is so freaking awesome (not my video) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gJKMl5XTbU&fmt=18

BobFromPikeCreek said:

<Massive Zebra Pileup Pic>

:lol :lol :lol This game needs a saved films option. Lots of animals running into parked cars eh?

newsguy

dLMN8R said:
Being claustrophobic is the exact reasoning they used for the FOV, in fact. I'm somehow who never plays a competitive FPS on my widescreen monitor with an FOV less than 100 degrees. For Bioshock, however, I completely agree with the developers that the decision they made was the right decision for that game.

Fair enough. While I like how it looked post patch, I played it through without the patch and it was a great game nontheless.

Also, BobFromPikeCreek pic :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom