• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Angst

Teetris said:
Wow, that's pretty hardcore.

Just fired up the benchmark tool. Only seemed to get 30 fps on a 4850. Didn't even use AA. :( I thought people said they could get 60fps on 1080p with a 4850?

Fiddle around a bit with the settings. I raised AA from 2x to 4x and the framerate actually improved instead of the other way around. Also some people are reporting better fps with DX10.

newsguy said:
edit for the sensitive.
20a4h1c.gif

newsguy

Zeliard said:
What did he post?

I literally painted the gun in the last pic pink. The pic looks so much like a moneyshot I couldn't help myself. Apparently videogame AI death is serious business.

Nizz

Ledsen said:
The controls are really good once you lower the sensitivity one or two notches. In the beginning it will feel slightly weird (really high horizontal sensitivity and really low vertical) but after a few hours I'm loving the controls and I can aim wherever, whenever I want. So don't worry about it, they're awesome.
I think you just nailed why the controls feel a little floaty to me. I'm playing the PS3 version and the horizontal speed feels way quicker than the vertical speed. I wish Ubi would have gave you the chance to set horizontal and vertical sensitivity settings like in Rainbow Six: Vegas. But I'm gonna try turning down the sensitivity like you suggested. I tried it before but it felt slow to me. But I'll try it again. Still enjoying the game though! Matter of fact, I want to go play it right now...

newsguy

Did anyone buy the Gamestop limited edition version with the 6 extra maps? My co-worker got his today and it has a code. He doesn't have internet at home so I was wondering if the maps are on the disc and unlock with the code, or if this is a downloadable thing.

Nizz

newsguy said:
Did anyone buy the Gamestop limited edition version with the 6 extra maps? My co-worker got his today and it has a code. He doesn't have internet at home so I was wondering if the maps are on the disc and unlock with the code, or if this is a downloadable thing.
I bought the GS pre-order edition but I didn't see any code. I just assumed the 6 missions were included on the disc? I threw the shrink wrap out already. Please God, don't tell me the code (if there is one) was on it.... Fuck me, man....

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Angst said:
Fiddle around a bit with the settings. I raised AA from 2x to 4x and the framerate actually improved instead of the other way around. Also some people are reporting better fps with DX10.
Hmm, no go. Just did the first part (which was awesome btw) at very high and 4xAA. Getting between 30 and 40fps. I'll manage, but this has to be bull:

Tiduz said:
HOLY FUCK.
no seriously. this game is awesomely optimized.

my specs are:
E6600 stock speed
2gb ram
vista
MSI Radeon HD4850 512MB

im playing on a HDTV, 1080P
EVERYTHING on verry high
60 fps CONSTANTLY. Holy fuck.
Unless DX10 really does make that big a difference, which would be blasphemous

I think someone posted the code earlier in the thread and confirmed it works for non-gamestop copies.

Here we go:

Orellio said:
Just saw this posted over at the Steam boards:

Originally Posted by BioShocKing:
I have prepurchased both steam version (for convenience) and Gamestop Pre-Order Edition (for the 6 exclusive missons) of Farcry 2. Now I would like to share the exclusive code with you guys- This is it: THaCupR4! Works for any version!

newsguy

fps fanatic said:
I bought the GS pre-order edition but I didn't see any code. I just assumed the 6 missions were included on the disc? I threw the shrink wrap out already. Please God, don't tell me the code (if there is one) was on it.... Fuck me, man....

Oh shit dude it is. My buddy just opened it here at work (he got the PS3 version). It's a carboard cover, and the actual shrinkwrap on the game box has a tiny square sticker on the back with the code. I will admit it's really not easy to see.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Teetris said:
Hmm, no go. Just did the first part (which was awesome btw) at very high and 4xAA. Getting between 30 and 40fps. I'll manage, but this has to be bull:

Unless DX10 really does make that big a difference, which would be blasphemous

DX10 and AA made a huge difference for me.

I got something like 38 fps average at 1920x1200 - ultra high everything - with 8xAA.

I lowered to 4xAA and the framerate jumped.

I'm now playing with just 2xAA and basically getting close to 60fps constantly with DX10.

eznark

Banned
Just popped it in for 45 minutes before class (PC).

I think I am going to love this game. Damn does it look/run great as well.

Nizz

newsguy said:
Oh shit dude it is. My buddy just opened it here at work (he got the PS3 version). It's a carboard cover, and the actual shrinkwrap on the game box has a tiny square sticker on the back with the code. I will admit it's really not easy to see.
Shit....

newsguy

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Everyone can use the code though. Just gotta know it. Don't worry.

Oh that's good news then. But my question is: Is the content on the disc already there and it simply unlocks like a cheat code, or is it DLC. He just doesn't have broadband so I would have to bring his PS3 to my place so he can get the content if that's the case.

Ledsen

fps fanatic said:
I think you just nailed why the controls feel a little floaty to me. I'm playing the PS3 version and the horizontal speed feels way quicker than the vertical speed. I wish Ubi would have gave you the chance to set horizontal and vertical sensitivity settings like in Rainbow Six: Vegas. But I'm gonna try turning down the sensitivity like you suggested. I tried it before but it felt slow to me. But I'll try it again. Still enjoying the game though! Matter of fact, I want to go play it right now...

Yeah try lowering it maybe three steps at first, then two if that's too slow, then one. I think I have it on one or two below the default.

Nizz

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Everyone can use the code though. Just gotta know it. Don't worry.
It's not console specific? I have the PS3 version. Damn, now I gotta try to dig that code up somewhere...

Chiggs

Gold Member
plagiarize said:
hmmn. driver support for my GX2 looks horrible. reason to wait me thinks.

Hmmm, I was using my GX2 with the 178.24 drivers and the performance was good, but not great. It would seem that those 180. drivers make things worse. Waiting for the WHQL is smart.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
Hmmm, I was using my GX2 with the 178.24 drivers and the performance was good, but not great. It would seem that those 180. drivers make things worse. Waiting for the WHQL is smart.

Correct. Just gotta chill for a bit :D

chespace

plagiarize said:
hmmn. driver support for my GX2 looks horrible. reason to wait me thinks.

I'm actually shocked that ATI didn't screw up their hotfix for the 4870x2. Perf is through the roof.

My condolences to the single core 4870 owners. :lol

Hootie

Hootie said:
Damn GAF is already giving this game a bad rap. I just played it about 30 minutes last night and I liked what I played. I've come to find out that GAF overreacts either extremely positively or negatively towards a game. There's simply no middle ground here I guess :lol I love the feeling that its just you and the African wild, with faulty guns, no real support, and dozens of angry dudes trying to kill you. Though I haven't found a checkpoint yet the idea that they're a fight to the death each time actually sounds intriguing to me.

Can't wait to log a few hours in today and then screw around with the map editor :D

Also, if anyone wants the 360 Gamestop preorder misson code still I have it: Ne6w4FRU I think you go to the "Promotion Content" section to input it.

Looks like I spoke way too soon; disregard this post. After playing for about an hour more today....I really, really don't like this game.

Waste of $64 confirmed =(

How much will I get for trading this in a GameStop? I'll probably pick up Fable 2...

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:
My condolences to the single core 4870 owners. :lol

Yes, congrats to ATI for catering to the niche, while the overwhelming majority gets memory leaks and crummy performance. Damn you, Che! :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hootie said:
Looks like I spoke way too soon; disregard this post. After playing for about an hour more today....I really, really don't like this game.

How much will I get for trading this in a GameStop? I'll probably pick up Fable 2...
You have got to be freaking kidding me. :lol :lol :lol

Zeliard

Hootie said:

What caused such a drastic change in opinion?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Hootie said:

care to explain?

Hootie

Zeliard said:
What caused such a drastic change in opinion?

I'm really not sure. The game is just....missing something. It feels so empty, and every freaking guardpost ends up with me getting shot up by some idiots strafing and shooting me with a shotgun and then I get run over from behind by a car, killing me. The whole malaria thing doesn't sit well with me and it just feels so futile and unrewarding shooting at people.

I understand that many of you like the game but it's just not for me I guess. I'm just as surprised at my change of heart as you are.

-viper-

Banned
I don't particularly like the game.

Firstly, the shooting mechanics are way off. I use my G3A3 )or whatever the hell it's called) from an acceptable range aiming at the head, and my shot doesn't even register. On the other hand, enemies are able to attack me from a further distance. What the hell?

Secondly, the guns have WAY too much recoil, the aiming feels weird and overall its inaccurate.

Thirdly, driving is tedious

Fourthly, the enemies have far too much health. This game tries to bring realistic elements yet everyone takes at least 15 bullets to kill.

Fifthly, the game doesn't run well on my PC at all. No idea why, but it lags every fucking time. E6600, 2GB RAM, 640MB 8800GTS. Crysis runs better than this!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
chespace said:
DX10 and AA made a huge difference for me.

I got something like 38 fps average at 1920x1200 - ultra high everything - with 8xAA.

I lowered to 4xAA and the framerate jumped.

I'm now playing with just 2xAA and basically getting close to 60fps constantly with DX10.
What did you get with DX9?

Also, this game is racist. It doesn't recognize my Dualshock3 controller. Does it only take the 360 one? I don't wanna purchase a 20 euro receiver. :(

The Chef

Hootie said:

:lol This is so awesome.

I was holding off posting in this thread because I really wanted to try and like this game.

THIS GAME IS BORING AS HELL

Waste of $64 double confirmed. Oh and Gamestop will give you about $30

newsguy

Hootie said:
I'm really not sure. The game is just....missing something. It feels so empty, and every freaking guardpost ends up with me getting shot up by some idiots strafing and shooting me with a shotgun and then I get run over from behind by a car, killing me. The whole malaria thing doesn't sit well with me and it just feels so futile and unrewarding shooting at people.

I understand that many of you like the game but it's just not for me I guess. I'm just as surprised at my change of heart as you are.

Was it my moneyshot pic? Be honest. I apologize :(

Hootie

newsguy said:
Was it my moneyshot pic? Be honest. I apologize :(

:lol Nah, I didn't even see it before you took it down

Look, I'm not saying it's a bad game by any measure, I'm just saying it's not my kind of FPS.

Zeliard

Hootie said:

I understand all those points, but I guess the good just outweighs the bad for me. I also like the malaria feature. Makes things more interesting, IMO, and adds to the whole survival aspect of the game.

The gunplay is probably my biggest disappointment with Far Cry 2, especially after playing something like Dead Space. Everything from the weapon/arm models to the enemy animations is underwhelming. I guess, for lack of a better word, that the gunplay just doesn't feel visceral enough. There's not enough tactile feedback. The guns do sound pretty good, though.

eXistor

Agent Ironside said:
Same here! What card are you using, drivers, etc.?
8800GTX and the newest drivers (whatever they are) The game warned me my drivers were too old so I updated them first.

Nizz

newsguy said:
Thanks a lot, man! I appreciate that :D Now that I think of it, was the code on a little, stamp sized peel off sticker? I remember seeing it but I didn't think anything of it...

newsguy

Hootie said:
:lol Nah, I didn't even see it before you took it down

Look, I'm not saying it's a bad game by any measure, I'm just saying it's not my kind of FPS.

Well what system are you guys playing it on? I have both systems, and my buddy just getting the game has me really tempted. Would you guys take $45 paypal shipped?

The Chef

newsguy said:
Well what system are you guys playing it on? I have both systems, and my buddy just getting the game has me really tempted. Would you guys take $45 paypal shipped?

I have it for PS3 and I will take your $45!

Hootie

newsguy said:

I have the 360 version.

Edit: Bah...just buy it from The Chef

dLMN8R

So can I get some opinions from people who've played STALKER and/or Clear Sky? I'm curious how this holds up compared to those, other than Far Cry 2 being "more polished" than the glitchiness of the STALKER games I've already seen mentioned in reviews.

Kingpen

Hootie said:

This is why people should save more money up for more games in the fall... Far Cry 2 is not exactly something that will light the world on fire in the first hour, when it is making you do a tutorial... But after that first hour, it gets much better... And yet you are going to off it without even really giving it a chance...

Haunted

TheHeretic said:
So does this compare favourably to Crysis visually, or otherwise?

(PC version of course)
I love Far Cry 2 so far, but it's nothing compared to Crysis.

Angelus said:
Loved the original Farcry as I played it for hours on my XBox and XBox 360. Game looks good but yeah the art direction looks sorta suspect this time around,and believe me I am not one of those people who harp on art. I got an email telling me my new gameFly account just shipped farCry II this morning,woohooo. Too many games to buy so Farcry will be a rental till I buy it early next year and dig into that Map editor more.
This is not the sequel to Far Cry, Crytek's Crysis is the sequel to Crytek's Far Cry (notice something?) - this is a Ubisoft Montreal shooter set in Africa - and since Crytek had to leave the Far Cry IP with Ubi when they opted out of their contract to work with EA, Ubi thought it was a good idea to slap the Far Cry brand on this unrelated shooter set in Africa made by Ubi Montreal.

just sayin'

newsguy

fps fanatic said:
Thanks a lot, man! I appreciate that :D Now that I think of it, was the code on a little, stamp sized peel off sticker? I remember seeing it but I didn't think anything of it...

Yup that's it, I'm looking at it right now.

Chiggs

Gold Member
dLMN8R said:
So can I get some opinions from people who've played STALKER and/or Clear Sky? I'm curious how this holds up compared to those, other than Far Cry 2 being "more polished" than the glitchiness of the STALKER games I've already seen mentioned in reviews.

So far, STALKER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Far Cry 2.

chespace

Reading Far Cry 2 impressions and watching the pendulum swing back and forth, both here and within myself, has been very amusing.

I agree, the game is missing something and doesn't live up to the hype or the reviews.

It doesn't feel as open-ended as it should for a sandbox game.

I hate the inventory system. Hate hate hate it. Evilore was spot-on about that aspect.

The sneaking mechanics are assy. The story is non-existent and the "drama" of your buddies is totally overrated (at least it is so far when they've rescued me).

But I do enjoy firing my pistol in this game. It feels good and I see nothing wrong with the aiming/shooting mechanics at all, for any weapon. Again, I have no troubles bagging enemies in shootouts.

And I am compelled to play the game to unlock better weapons basically.

How long this feeling will last, I don't know. :lol

dLMN8R said:

Its a console FPS version of STALKER. Not to say thats a bad thing, but its more focused and less micro-managing. It picks up a lot more quickly than STALKER which is nice to. I say if you liked one, you should like the other. Or if STALKER was a bit to overwhelming, this might grab your attention more.

Haunted

dLMN8R said:
Far Cry 2 is definitely the more polished game. As someone who really came to like the first Stalker, I was pretty disappointed with Clear Sky.

I like Far Cry 2 better so far.

edit: also, I can go back and forth between different games no problem, usually. But playing Crysis and Warhead once more directly before jumping into Stalker was clearly a huge mistake on my part. :lol

chespace said:
Reading Far Cry 2 impressions and watching the pendulum swing back and forth, both here and within myself, has been very amusing.

I agree, the game is missing something and doesn't live up to the hype or the reviews.

It doesn't feel as open-ended as it should for a sandbox game.

I hate the inventory system. Hate hate hate it. Evilore was spot-on about that aspect.

The sneaking mechanics are assy. The story is non-existent and the "drama" of your buddies is totally overrated (at least it is so far when they've rescued me).

But I do enjoy firing my pistol in this game. It feels good and I see nothing wrong with the aiming/shooting mechanics at all, for any weapon. Again, I have no troubles bagging enemies in shootouts.

And I am compelled to play the game to unlock better weapons basically.

How long this feeling will last, I don't know. :lol
Oh shit, now I'm fucking worried. :lol I pretty much had the same positive reaction to the game's first two hours or so, and then I stopped playing.

I hope you guys aren't right and it doesn't fall flat on its face later on. :(

Top Bottom