• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Tom Penny

I'm really starting to like the game now that i'm just going around doing whatever I feel like. The long ass tutorial kind of had me not into it but now it starting to be the game I thought it would be. Only thing someone needs to do is make a new arm and weapon skins for the game. They are ugly.

Zeliard

Kibbles said:
:lol :lol :lol This game needs a saved films option. Lots of animals running into parked cars eh?

I believe I saw that option in the PC version.

Tom Penny said:
I'm really starting to like the game now that i'm just going around doing whatever I feel like. The long ass tutorial kind of had me not into it but now it starting to be the game I thought it would be. Only thing someone needs to do is make a new arm and weapon skins for the game. They are ugly.

Yeah, the game improves tenfold after the linear tutorial. And I was thinking while playing that there will probably be mods and config tweaks that fix some people's gripes with the game, depending on how customizable it is.

Stitch

Gold Member
yeah and where are the civilians. there are only soldiers in this fucking country and everyone of those motherfuckers hates me...

Nikorasu

I don't feel claustrophobic at all. :| But I agree the option should be there for people who get sick easily.

newsguy said:
bioshockws.png

This is soooooo much bullshit. FOV != image frame. Videogames do not work like that. Goddamn.

bathala

Banned
just started playing. Graphics look nice and I'm surprised my 4850 can handle it.

Where do find the saved films?

EDIT: nvm found it. weird file it says Benchmark

Sushen

FatalT said:
Using nvidia's 178 drivers:

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1440x900 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Total Frames: 1795, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 35.19
* Max. Framerate: 60.09 (Frame:0, 0.02s)
* Min. Framerate: 22.59 (Frame:1020, 28.02s)

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1440x900 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Total Frames: 2221, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 43.54
* Max. Framerate: 69.23 (Frame:173, 3.00s)
* Min. Framerate: 27.47 (Frame:1781, 41.61s)

Using nvidia's beta 180 drivers from October 21st:

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1440x900 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
Loop 1

* Total Frames: 2155, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 42.25
* Max. Framerate: 58.15 (Frame:323, 6.41s)
* Min. Framerate: 30.78 (Frame:1634, 39.04s)

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1440x900 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

* Total Frames: 2535, Total Time: 51.01s
* Average Framerate: 49.70
* Max. Framerate: 78.87 (Frame:375, 6.20s)
* Min. Framerate: 29.87 (Frame:1862, 36.65s)

I'm impressed. Using Ultra High Settings and the Ultra High Settings with shadows set to Very High I get about 7 more FPS with the 180 drivers.
PC gamers have truely unique ways of enjoying games.

Surfheart

dark10x said:
Hmm, those PS3/360 shots actually don't look bad at all. I mean, the game obviously looks nicer on the PC, but it's not the world of difference people were making it out to be.

It's not dark. I see those PC shots and it's pretty much how the 360 version looks to me apart from the typical lack of AF and lower resolution. Although the 360 has some nasty shadow dithering on shadows further from the viewpoint. 360 version runs really well too. Some occasional vsync tear but it seems pretty rare.

There is just something about the graphics I don't like. Technically it looks excellent but there is just something in the style that make the world look very artificial.

FatalT

Banned
Sushen said:
PC gamers have truely unique ways of enjoying games.

I furiously masturbate to numbers. In fact, when I'm playing a PC game, I don't even pay attention to the game. I just stare at my fluctuating FPS in the corner of the screen. Oh god, yes, go higher, oh, don't stop, keep going, oh god yes, OH GOD YESSSS!

whitehawk

Banned
So I think I might get this game tomorrow after being dissapointed by Fable 2. (I'm just gonna beat fable and sell it).

How's Far Cry 2? my friend really likes it. and i love the map editor idea. gaf, what should I do, im already buying more games than i should lol.

Flunkie

Banned
FatalT said:
I furiously masturbate to numbers. In fact, when I'm playing a PC game, I don't even pay attention to the game. I just stare at my fluctuating FPS in the corner of the screen. Oh god, yes, go higher, oh, don't stop, keep going, oh god yes, OH GOD YESSSS!
OMG :lol :lol :lol

This game is great so far. I thought the 1 hour tutorial was hyperbole but I timed it myself at it was exactly 1 hour. Regardless, it was involving enough to keep me playing.

The whole thing is an open world FPS RPG. Killing dudes, picking up loot, finding treasure buying upgrades. I really enjoy taking out the encampments and unlocking safehouses. I'm looking forward to going deeper into the world as well and finding all of the cool river systems and waterfalls.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
FatalT said:

:lol I laugh because it's true.

FatalT

Banned
Mandiller those shots look phenomenal. I especially love your rocket launcher shot because of all the detail on the RPG.

Two questions for the owners of this game.

- Is this a search/destroy variant for the map editor? Or something like it?

- Is there co-op?

So I go to a gun dealer so I can unlock some more guns.

He gives me the details, and just before I click to accept, he collapses to the ground and dies.

dead.jpg

FatalT

Banned
Alright guys, it's time to up the ante. I've finally found a decent video shrinking program that's FREEEEE so I'm going to start making videos now. Here's my first one.

What happened was I shot a guy with the sniper rifle and he fell to the ground wounded, then one of his teammates came to pick him up and carry him. Well, I figured I'd shoot the guy carrying him and then they'd both fall down, right? Wrong. In fact it took like 4 shots to friggin kill the guy carrying him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTTno2HZfMc&fmt=18

This has the same problem Assassins Creed had, tedious gameplay. Driving around is immersive but the mission objectives are never close to you ala MMO's, it doesn't help that there are endlessly respawning checkpoints everywhere that shoot at you on sight.

dk_

@ Kibbles

Wow @ the screenshots.

Will pick this up today, no matter what.

KrawlMan said:
If you play widescreen, pray that they patch it soon lol. I decided I'm just going to stop playing until its fixed.

For those that aren't up to date, heres the best way to explain the FOV problem. Just replace "Bioshock" with "Far Cry 2" :p
Didn't bother me in Bioshock, won't bother me here. :D

FatalT

Banned
Oh man, I feel bad after this one. I was wanting to show off how awesome the buddy revival system is when you die, but Guillano wasn't shooting at any enemies. She probably wasn't shooting anyone because there was only 1 guy left from all the people I killed but whatever. I gave her a special surprise for all of her hard work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTjEtmV4v3M&fmt=18

Omeyocan

Damn ! After meeting the priest at Pala, I'm not able to find a fucking mission ! I'm roaming around the huge map killing some dudes and that's it ?????

Help please !

eso76

ZootedGranny said:
He gives me the details, and just before I click to accept, he collapses to the ground and dies.

lol

i actually love bugged games, they're so hilarious.

Nice shots, previous pages menaged to make the game look bad, when it's actually one of the best looking titles out there (at least, it is on console, looking almost exactly like those latest caps; i'll try to take offscreen pics later today).

We all remember being impressed with oblivion's forests, but FC2's deep jungle makes those look like last gen in comparison, although i'm not a huge fan of that blueish haze that falls whenever you step into the woods.
Also, lighting at night looks completely off (everything's too colourful, light should have a much stronger blue tint; beginning of MGS4's second chapter nailed it).

Between this and Assassin's Creed, i think there's no doubt Ubi Montreal has some of the best tech this gen and i can't wait to see what's going on with Splinter Cell 5.

Also, put a few hours into the editor and holy shit does it rock.
I just thought it would be fun to have a flooded african village where you have to dive and swim inside flooded buildings to find weapons and you can do that. I'll try and replicate MGS1 first few areas (minus snow) when i have the time.
Terrain editor is extremely powerful and all instruments allow you complete freedom; of course this also means you'll have to spend quite some time on your maps if you want to obtain good results, even though all tools are quite easy to use.

kitch9

Banned
chespace said:
:lol I laugh because it's true.

I obsess with the framerate counter in warhead......

Is there loads of tearing in this game with v sync off, or does it run ok on a 4870x2 to have it on?

Nikorasu

Omeyocan said:
Damn ! After meeting the priest at Pala, I'm not able to find a fucking mission ! I'm roaming around the huge map killing some dudes and that's it ?????

Help please !

Check your map. Location markers with an exclamation mark will give you missions. Remember you can press R to cycle through your different maps.

kitch9 said:

Is there loads of tearing in this game with v sync off, or does it run ok on a 4870x2 to have it on?

I'm playing vsync off. I have not noticed a speck of tearing so far, same card. Well, it's still there, obviously, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as noticeable as other games.

kitch9 said:

I've got it maxed out on an 8800 GTS 512 overclocked, so you should be more than fine.

Nikorasu said:
Check your map. Location markers with an exclamation mark will give you missions. Remember you can press R to cycle through your different maps.

X if it the 360 version. Whenever you are given the option to do one mission or the other it seems like doing one of them will discard the other so choose the best one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FatalT said:

Don't know if you are being sarcastic because I always have fraps open. I say I do it so I can take screenshots, but I know that's not the main reason :(

New pictures have inspired me a bit. I will try it out on a friend's rig. Probably rent this if I can't wait for the L4D demo.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Played a bit more tonight and really starting to feel it.

The combat gets pretty intense and once you start getting better weapons and understand the flow of the game overall, FC2 really does grab you.

I also get somewhat of a Stalker vibe here. Which is a good thing.

duffey

So I bought the PC version on a whim and it runs pretty good with mostly Ultra High settings! This is the benchmark.

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1280x960 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

Average Results

* Average Framerate: 33.26
* Max. Framerate: 51.83
* Min. Framerate: 23.68

I was pretty much expecting to turn off a bunch of stuff but I guess I really don't have to. Having said that, I'll probably turn AA off as I seem to get a pretty significant boost in performance and the jaggies don't really bother me in this game. Also maybe it's just me but I'm finding it weird that I spent maybe a little over $600 on my machine and I can run most things including Crysis at playable levels while still looking fantastic (and I know this has a lot to do with my resolution but it's still a little surprising to me).

Anyway getting away from performance, my main complaint is something I can't really pinpoint at all. It's either the guns are extremely weak at the outset (maybe later on there might be something better?) or the enemies are extreme bullet sponges. Either way I hope that gets patched down the line because it feels really weird. Other than that it's pretty awesome.

dk_

chespace said:

The combat gets pretty intense and once you start getting better weapons and understand the flow of the game overall, FC2 really does grab you.

I like how you change your opinion on every new site. :lol

Nikorasu

chespace said:

Agree 100%. Even as the gameplay seems like it would be getting repetitive, I'm actually liking it more and more. Definitely a combination of the incredible atmosphere and addictiveness of collecting weapons and equipment. Gunplay is really satisfying too.

I don't know why people are so freaked out about the respawning checkpoints and enemies. I mean, this is a shooter. Why are you complaining about more things to shoot? Is it something about free roaming games that makes you feel like every encounter has to count towards your completion percentage? If you know there is a checkpoint coming up, can always go around it if you have an aversion to meaningless slaughter. Most of the time there is plenty of room to avoid them without drawing attention, even in a vehicle. Seriously. Stop rushing. Just take your time. You're not going to find any diamonds by taking the bus everywhere.

Zeliard

dk_ said:
I like how you change your opinion on every new site. :lol

Far Cry 2 is essentially a game that gets better and better the more you get into it and acclimated to it. It's very rewarding in that way.

chespace said:

Don't get me wrong....I love STALKER, but it's also a game I've never finished....it's weird and I think it's because the game's core quest system is so misguided and flat out annoying at times. That and the core gunplay isn't that satisfying ...it's the atmosphere

Far Cry2 seems, thus far, to the fucking point, which I totally dig. Toss in the extra polish, budget, and equally compelling setting and I can see it replacing STALKER in my book

Though STALKER is still a classic

Nikorasu said:
I don't know why people are so freaked out about the respawning checkpoints and enemies. I mean, this is a shooter. Why are you complaining about more things to shoot? Is it something about free roaming games that makes you feel like every encounter has to count towards your completion percentage? If you know there is a checkpoint coming up, can always go around it if you have an aversion to meaningless slaughter. Most of the time there is plenty of room to avoid them without drawing attention, even in a vehicle. Seriously. Stop rushing. Just take your time. You're not going to find any diamonds by taking the bus everywhere.

no shit

I mean, I interpret it as the devs clearly trying to interject more action beats into the game...I mean your already driving alotta the time as it is with no engagements...
I think it's more of an issue of those trying to rush through the game's main quests and not wanna to get sidetracked

Zeliard

AgentOtaku said:
no shit

I mean, I interpret it as the devs clearly trying to interject more action beats into the game...I mean your already driving alotta the time as it is with no engagements

I think it's more of an issue of those trying to rush through the game's main quests and not wanna to get sidetracked

I think people just aren't using the map. It shows you where the enemy checkpoints are, so you can easily plan a route around them (or go through them if you wish). You can even take out your map while driving, which is just cool, both from a visual and gameplay standpoint.

Zeliard said:
I think people just aren't using the map. It shows you where the enemy checkpoints are, so you can easily plan a route around them (or go through them if you wish). You can even take out your map while driving, which is just cool, both from a visual and gameplay standpoint.

Yep

I dunno...when I see a checkpoint, I think "Great! ...time to put the game engine to work!" :D

Waikis

Anyone else using 4870 CF in vista x64?
I'm having a significantly worse FPS with DX10. PCGH reported the same problems as well.

Benchies:
DX 9 NO AA

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1920x1200 (60Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

Total Frames: 3046, Total Time: 51.01s
Average Framerate: 59.71
Max. Framerate: 77.52 (Frame:1, 0.03s)
Min. Framerate: 50.30 (Frame:31, 0.64s)

DX9 AAx4

Total Frames: 2452, Total Time: 51.00s
Average Framerate: 48.08
Max. Framerate: 76.87 (Frame:0, 0.01s)
Min. Framerate: 37.37 (Frame:1081, 20.48s)

DX10 AAx4

Average Framerate: 33.68
Max. Framerate: 56.31 (Frame:1, 0.04s)
Min. Framerate: 26.99 (Frame:1281, 38.95s)

:< :< :<

Edit:
I'm already using the FC2 fix.

eso76

Zeliard said:
Far Cry 2 is essentially a game that gets better and better the more you get into it and acclimated to it. It's very rewarding in that way.

not sure, so far all missions i have taken felt completely unrelated, but there MUST be some main 'quest' with some cohesion at some point, and when you have an idea what you're doing and why things are probably going to get better.
Still don't find gunplay mechanics very rewarding, but if the game didn't have enemies respawn you would have ended up wandering lonely pretty quickly, it's just necessary.

The hell, i just found out there's a whole new area to unlock ?? that's good.

Nikorasu

eso76 said:
not sure, so far all missions i have taken felt completely unrelated, but there MUST be some main 'quest' with some cohesion at some point, and when you have an idea what you're doing and why things are probably going to get better.
Still don't find gunplay mechanics very rewarding, but if the game didn't have enemies respawn you would have ended up wandering lonely pretty quickly, it's just necessary.

The hell, i just found out there's a whole new area to unlock ?? that's good.

Supposedly there is another linear story segment like the beginning in the middle of the game that segues into the second area. I'm assuming its possible to go back and forth between them.

But yeah, the missions are kind of unrelated, but thats sort of the price for having such openendedness. I mean you can befriend different characters in each game and do unique missions for each of them. It really hasn't bothered me though. The missions for me are sort of a vehicle to drive me to see the sights and get in cool fights. :D

Also, play with the music off. Seriously. The ambiance is amazing.

Top Bottom