• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Zeliard

dLMN8R said:
So can I get some opinions from people who've played STALKER and/or Clear Sky? I'm curious how this holds up compared to those, other than Far Cry 2 being "more polished" than the glitchiness of the STALKER games I've already seen mentioned in reviews.

That's basically the big difference. That, and the fact that FC2 is actually open world. There are some very striking similarities between the two, including the fact that a "stalker" is essentially a mercenary. FC2 could be renamed to STALKER In Africa. Even the gunplay feels very similar.

I don't know if FC2 is better than the first STALKER, but I do think it's better than the disappointing Clear Sky. Both FC2 and STALKER are essentially rough diamonds. They have a lot of problems, but if you're willing to get past that, you'll find a gem. Or a diamond, in FC2's case. ;)

chespace said:
Reading Far Cry 2 impressions and watching the pendulum swing back and forth, both here and within myself, has been very amusing.

I agree, the game is missing something and doesn't live up to the hype or the reviews.

It doesn't feel as open-ended as it should for a sandbox game.

I hate the inventory system. Hate hate hate it. Evilore was spot-on about that aspect.

The sneaking mechanics are assy. The story is non-existent and the "drama" of your buddies is totally overrated (at least it is so far when they've rescued me).

But I do enjoy firing my pistol in this game. It feels good and I see nothing wrong with the aiming/shooting mechanics at all, for any weapon. Again, I have no troubles bagging enemies in shootouts.

And I am compelled to play the game to unlock better weapons basically.

How long this feeling will last, I don't know. :lol

See I've played for three hours and for me... getting to that next safe house to save and quit for the night just doesn't happen. I had to force myself after the third time of telling myself I was going to quit for the night.

I find the game addictive. Shooting mechanics feel solid. I love exploring. I love finding the diamonds. Everytime my green light goes off my mission it to find the diamond at any cost! Graphics look good. There have been times when the sun is rising or setting that is simply breathtaking.

Sure the story is non-exist at the moment but damn... I just always have the urge to get to that next mission checkpoint, safehouse,satelite, etc. I also am very curious how the story is going to unfold. I really feel the urge to kill that damned "Jackal".

It might not change anyones view on the game but really... give this game a few good hours before making a final decision.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
See I've played for three hours and for me... getting to that next safe house to save and quit for the night just doesn't happen. I had to force myself after the third time of telling myself I was going to quit for the night.

I find the game addictive. Shooting mechanics feel solid. I love exploring. I love finding the diamonds. Everytime my green light goes off my mission it to find the diamond at any cost! Graphics look good. There have been times when the sun is rising or setting that is simply breathtaking.

Sure the story is non-exist at the moment but damn... I just always have the urge to get to that next mission checkpoint, safehouse,satelite, etc. I also am very curious how the story is going to unfold. I really feel the urge to kill that damned "Jackal".

It might not change anyones view on the game but really... give this game a few good hours before making a final decision.

this

But yeah, the story being non-existant thus far is pretty dissapointing

the grahpics are a little disappointing. but still good, i just think that the artwork looks better than the actual game. stalker, for example, captured the its artwork really well.

oh and the weapon models, horrible -.-

Haunted said:
Far Cry 2 is definitely the more polished game. As someone who really came to like the first Stalker, I was pretty disappointed with Clear Sky.

I like Far Cry 2 better so far.

edit: also, I can go back and forth between different games no problem, usually. But playing Crysis and Warhead once more directly before jumping into Stalker was clearly a huge mistake on my part. :lol

Oh shit, now I'm fucking worried. :lol I pretty much had the same positive reaction to the game's first two hours or so, and then I stopped playing.

I hope you guys aren't right and it doesn't fall flat on its face later on. :(

Didn't they promise like 50 hours of gameplay for 100% completion? I'd rather slit my fucking wrists.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
McBacon said:
Dare I say... a che flop?

:lol

Nah, because I never fell in and out of love in this case.

I went in and felt lukewarm. Still feel lukewarm for the most part but it's heating up. :)

eXistor

dLMN8R said:
So can I get some opinions from people who've played STALKER and/or Clear Sky? I'm curious how this holds up compared to those, other than Far Cry 2 being "more polished" than the glitchiness of the STALKER games I've already seen mentioned in reviews.

STALKER is way better for sure, but then again, there's little that comes close to STALKER's greatness imo. The atmosphere, sense of dread, gorgeous gameworld (possibly the best ever) make it a modern classic.

Clear Sky is a bit hit and miss for me, it has too few new elements like almost no new areas and only the swamp is fun, the others are not so good. The more combat-centric gameplay (which isn't any good to begin with, I know some would disagree) isn't quite the direction I like to see STALKER go in. Horribly endgame too. Still, almost everyting that made the first game so good is in CS, the first game just did it, well, first.

Far Cry 2 is quite different, but similar in some key areas. It's definitely more polished. It's pretty much pick up and play if you've played one or two fps's before. While the world is wide-open you don't really have the sense of exploration that STALKER gives you, because honestly, there isn't a lot to discover, the world feel a bit too empty for that. The only thing you can really look for in the wilderness are the diamond-cases, which is similar to Artifact hunting in Clear Sky, but without all the deadly radiation.

Still I think it's a nice little inbetween game so far. I've been playing Dead Space in the meantime (waiting for Fable 2) and I have to say Dead Space is superior, it just feels more complete and well-rounded. I think it's worth the money (I got the CE btw) and if you like STALKER or at least open-ended gameworlds, you should like Far Cry 2.

-viper-

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:

I am not compelled to put a few good hours in this game due to the tedious driving and poor shooting mechanics.

Easily my biggest disappointment of the year. The game looks awesome in the trailers but I'm not enjoying it at all, no matter how hard I try. Luckily I was able to sell my copy and I think I'll just get Dead Space instead.

Ran the benchmarking too and got as follows:

Average: 45fps
Max: 59fps
Min: 31fps

1280x800
Everything "Very High"
2x AA

8800gt
E6600
4gig Ram
Vista32

I suppose this is alright....still deciding if I just wanna keep the framerate locked at 30fps

Also...where is the config file? ...so I don't have to keep manually entering the changes in the console everytime I play

-viper- said:
I am not compelled to put a few good hours in this game due to the tedious driving and poor shooting mechanics.

Easily my biggest disappointment of the year. The game looks awesome in the trailers but I'm not enjoying it at all, no matter how hard I try. Luckily I was able to sell my copy and I think I'll just get Dead Space instead.

Well I'm sorry to hear that. It just wasn't your cup of tea. Its not a bad game by any means but it not for everyone and I can stand by that notion. *EDIT* BTW I didn't follow this game whatsoever other then the fact that it was named Far Cry 2 and was set in Africa. So maybe thats why I am highly enjoying it. No expectations whatsoever.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Shake Appeal said:
I mean to ask a STALKER fan: what's the current state of the game, patchwise? It was buggy as all hell at release.
I had maybe one or two crashes when I finished it a month or so ago.

newsguy

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Its not a bad game by any means but it not for everyone and I can stand by that notion.
Too%20Human%20avatar.jpg

Haunted

VictimOfGrief said:
Didn't they promise like 50 hours of gameplay for 100% completion? I'd rather slit my fucking wrists.
I've never played a sandbox game to 100% completion, regardless whether I love the game or not.

Sometimes I feel bad for OCD completionists. :D

KrawlMan

I really hope the game does get a patch for real widescreen...why do developers do this?

FC2-WS.jpg

edit: i was noticing that for an open world game, the FOV felt somewhat claustrophobic in comparison to other games ive been playing :-/

newsguy

KrawlMan said:
I really hope the game does get a patch for real widescreen...why do developers do this?

edit: i was noticing that for an open world game, the FOV felt somewhat claustrophobic in comparison to other games ive been playing :-/

Shit, that looks like Bioshock before it got the FOV patch. Is this PC specific or consoles as well?

KrawlMan

VictimOfGrief said:
From what I hear a big patch is coming.

I sure hope so. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying what I've played of the game (havent played much yet), but the even without knowing that the FOV was cropped for widescreen, I kept feeling like I wanted to pull the camera away...this explains why :(

I might hold off from playing any more until it is patched.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Fake widescreen? Fuck that shit, I'm really considering trading this in tomorrow for a Fallout coupon

eshwaaz

KrawlMan said:
I sure hope so. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying what I've played of the game (havent played much yet), but the even without knowing that the FOV was cropped for widescreen, I kept feeling like I wanted to pull the camera away...this explains why :(

I might hold off from playing any more until it is patched.

Same for me. Just this morning I was telling friends that something about the FOV felt off, as if I was constantly zoomed in and couldn't see as much in my peripheral vision as I should.

Zeliard

eshwaaz said:
Same for me. Just this morning I was telling friends that something about the FOV felt off, as if I was constantly zoomed in and wasn't able to see as much in my peripheral vision as I should.

When I noticed an FOV issue is when I was using the monocular. Waaaay too cramped.

Why am I out in the middle of an open desert with no one around ... for miles ... but somehow a "bad guy" pops up right behind me and starts shooting me :(

I'm having a like/hate relation with this game.

Is there going to Bin64 support for this, I'm just asking because I looked in the install directory in steam and saw win32 folder, so I was thinking there might be a 64bit version?

KrawlMan said:

http://wsgfmedia.com/uploads/paddywak/screenshots/farcry2/FC2-WS.jpg

I don't know why they do this, and yes I agree, it makes me feel the same way about it :(

madmook

Ah, I thought the fov was a little weird... that's probably what contributed to my getting dizzy from playing it.

Hope its in the first patch for all versions. I don't get why devs keep making shooters with these narrow fovs.

Ledsen

So I've played this game for 10 hours today... this is one of my GOTY candidates, no doubt about it. Thank you, UbiSoft Montreal, you are GODS, GODS among men.
I can't believe the game is this good, it exceeds my wildest expectations and I know I'm going for 100% completion. ll be so sad when I'm done :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Soooo, I'm getting a bug in the PC version where I can't hear ANY cellphone calls anymore. The phone rings, I answer, and nothing. If I hit the button again, he puts the phone away. What the hell? Anyone else run into this?

Kabouter

dark10x said:
Soooo, I'm getting a bug in the PC version where I can't hear ANY cellphone calls anymore. The phone rings, I answer, and nothing. If I hit the button again, he puts the phone away. What the hell? Anyone else run into this?
Yup, but I wasn't even sure if it was a bug or if I couldn't get reception or something. Guess it was a bug...

Zeliard

Anyone know if it's possible to take your watch out without going to your safehouse? It's nothing huge, but it'd be neat to be able to know what time it currently is in-game at any point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kabouter said:
Yup, but I wasn't even sure if it was a bug or if I couldn't get reception or something. Guess it was a bug...
Heh, that would be interesting, but they give no indication of that AND the objectives screen will sometimes specifically refer to a phone call you may have received. :\

I'm not sure what to do about it, to be honest, as not having that phone really sucks away any attempt at story telling they might have going on (as well as important info).

Nikorasu

This game is great. That's just...the bottom line. It's very flawed and there are a lot of things that need patching, but then so was STALKER. I saw this game as a write off but thankfully that's not the case. Even if some people don't like certain aspects of the game, that's expected. No game is for everyone.

The more I play the more I appreciate what the game offers, even if some aspects get a little tedious. If nothing else I have to thank ubi for making the pc the lead platform this time around, and while there are still some problems, it's much better than most other multiplatform efforts out there.

The game really does need more wildlife though. :|

madmook

Is there a way to use the monocle without taking out the map?

Is there a way to zoom in/out when using the monocle?

Why is the sensitivity when using the monocle so fucking fast? Is it the same in the console versions?

newsguy

The polarity here made me think of something. Since this game really has nothing to do with the original, they should have named it Assassin's Creed 2. Some love it, some hate it.

_Angelus_

Banned
Haunted said:
I love Far Cry 2 so far, but it's nothing compared to Crysis.

This is not the sequel to Far Cry, Crytek's Crysis is the sequel to Crytek's Far Cry (notice something?) - this is a Ubisoft Montreal shooter set in Africa - and since Crytek had to leave the Far Cry IP with Ubi when they opted out of their contract to work with EA, Ubi thought it was a good idea to slap the Far Cry brand on this unrelated shooter set in Africa made by Ubi Montreal.

just sayin'

That sucks. :( Maybe it would explain the art in this one,it just doesn't look as lush and colorful as the first game to me. Not that I'm really complaining but you can see there is a difference going on color wise. I really don't like hearing that EA snagged these developers. First they were all over about buying UbiSoft,but instead they got the development team from FarCry instead,boo!!! Anyways I'll know by tomorrow how I feel about the game,GameFly ftw. I think it'll be good,plus 3 of my buddies have the game and the maps they made with the original game were fucking crazy so its a little single player,a little map editor fun for me. But man I hope I like the game,if anything because I've been looking forward to this game all year.

Oh and this is just another reason why I need to buy a new card for my PC,I wanted Crysis but after hearing that its the original FarCry team its more incentive to buy that card early next year.

Zzoram

newsguy said:
The polarity here made me think of something. Since this game really has nothing to do with the original, they should have named it Assassin's Creed 2. Some love it, some hate it.

Yep, this year's Assassin's Creed.

KrawlMan

dk_ said:
Looks great. I just decided to pick this up in the next couple of days.

If you play widescreen, pray that they patch it soon lol. I decided I'm just going to stop playing until its fixed.

For those that aren't up to date, heres the best way to explain the FOV problem. Just replace "Bioshock" with "Far Cry 2" :p

bioshockws.png

Zeliard said:
Anyone know if it's possible to take your watch out without going to your safehouse? It's nothing huge, but it'd be neat to be able to know what time it currently is in-game at any point.

Look at the sun!

Zeliard

Wait, Bioshock cut off the sides, too? I thought it just cut off the top and bottom.

BobJustBob said:
Look at the sun!

Well, yeah, when it's up there. :p

Wanted something more precise. I don't know why you have a cool watch and can only bust it out when you're about to go to bed.

KrawlMan

Zeliard said:
Wait, Bioshock cut off the sides, too? I thought it just cut off the top and bottom.

Well, yeah, when it's up there. :p

Wanted something more precise. I don't know why you have a cool watch and can only bust it out when you're about to go to bed.

The fake widescreen was created by taking off from the top and bottom of the "normal standard" as opposed to extending the image to the left and right.

Top Bottom