• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Nardonicus said:
To back up what a bunch of others have said, the game gets much better once you get past the tutorial missions, especially after you get the first sniper rifle.

Is there a way to tell the difference between story missions and side missions on your map? I have done a few missions for weapons merchants, which are obviously side missions, but how do I know which missions will advance the story?
The faction missions (the APF and UFLL missions found in the cease fire zone) are the main missions. Everything else is side stuff and buddy stuff.

And yes, the game gets so much better once you get better weapons.

Zeliard said:
Yep, FC2 suffers from The Witcher Syndrome. The first hour or so is quite poor and gives a horrible impression of the actual quality, depth and scope of the game. Once you get past the tutorial and it opens up, and you start getting better guns, Far Cry 2 becomes pretty fantastic.

I like the whole objectives system in FC2 considerably more than Crysis, especially since you essentially get to go out and choose from several different missions all over the map, and in Crysis it was the complete opposite - not only were they were fed to you, rather than you going out and choosing them, but you only got two at a time at the most and it wasn't up to you whether or not you wanted to go through with it (except for the fairly trivial side missions).

I agree with this post 100%. At first I like the game but was slightly disaapointed after all the hype, and the fact I've been anxiously awaiting the release. And it hasn't helped that I've got a huge backlog and even more recent releases (Brothers in Arms, Dead Space, Socom3, and Fable). But as stated, above, once you get through the "boot camp" of game play and the game opens up........OMG! The game is impressive and immersive and a friggin' blast to play. I haven't had this much fun making decisions to approach game events since Deus Ex. I can't wait to get home and play more. Damn the naysayers, this game is a blast!

I know people were complaining about the controls, but on 360 at least it's fine and pretty much standard for the shooters of today. The dead zone is definitely larger than on CoD4 or Halo 3, say, but it feels okay. I sometimes wish the walking pace was a little quicker, but I like everything else about character movement, especially the 'slide into cover' thing. Vehicles handle well, far better than in some other first person games (Half-Life 2 springs to mind). Some weapons (shotguns) are easier to use without the iron sights, but on the whole I feel good about the aiming and shooting. Enemies really do take a lot of punishment unless you aim for the head, though, and pistol ammo especially sometimes runs scarce, although I just got the holster upgrade.

KrawlMan

KrawlMan said:
This may have been mentioned before, but I missed it...

Anybody else happen to get some occasional skipping of frames?

Ive been using showFPS = 1 in the console, and my framerate is a steady 35-40 fps, but every couple of seconds looks like its skipping a few frames.

My graphics card is the HD 4850, and it happens in both DX9 and DX10. Vsync doesn't seem to have an affect on it.

anybody? Maybe Ill try lowering my OC on the 4850, see if that has some affect on it.

bee

nvidia just released 180.43 for this, maybe fixes the bugs from the .42 release, i'll wait till i see reports from other people

KrawlMan

Widescreen Fix is Out!

Thanks to Racer_S at Widescreen Gaming Forum for the Widescreen fix on Far Cry 2.

Note: This FOV Tool is in no way supported by Ubisoft, so use it at your own risk.

Edit: Ive added the link to the bottom of the OP for future reference.

Nizz

Shake Appeal said:
I know people were complaining about the controls, but on 360 at least it's fine and pretty much standard for the shooters of today. The dead zone is definitely larger than on CoD4 or Halo 3, say, but it feels okay. I sometimes wish the walking pace was a little quicker, but I like everything else about character movement, especially the 'slide into cover' thing. Vehicles handle well, far better than in some other first person games (Half-Life 2 springs to mind). Some weapons (shotguns) are easier to use without the iron sights, but on the whole I feel good about the aiming and shooting. Enemies really do take a lot of punishment unless you aim for the head, though, and pistol ammo especially sometimes runs scarce, although I just got the holster upgrade.
Dead zone as in how far you have to push the stick till you move? On PS3 it's the same thing. Maybe I've spent too much time with COD 4?

dk_

Finally bought it! After a little bit of GAF I will delve into the game and later I join you again for rollercoasting. :D

What's your current verdict, che? :lol

newsguy

So quick question about stealth. My buddy playing it now says that it's not made for stealth, but then again he never plays FPS. After watching the video where the guy takes out the enemy's leg, then takes out the guy who tries to pick him up, I really want to do that in the game. Is it at all possible or are the enemies blessed with Splinter Cell 2 senses and shoot at you no matter how far or quiet you are?

Tr4nce

Zeliard said:
They don't mention the slide at all in the tutorial.

But they "teach" you WASD, crouch and jump, of course.

Oh god. Read the freaking manual!! I've been doing it since Double Dragon for the NES came out, and yes it is rewarding.

;)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I fucking love this game but...wow, traveling is really getting on my nerves already. Especially the missions that make you go here...then here...then here...then back here...

Ysiadmihi said:
I fucking love this game but...wow, traveling is really getting on my nerves already. Especially the missions that make you go here...then here...then here...then back here...

Its Africa man... enjoy it. :lol

Zeliard

Tr4nce said:
Oh god. Read the freaking manual!! I've been doing it since Double Dragon for the NES came out, and yes it is rewarding.

;)

I bought it through Steam. I'm not one for reading some online PDF before booting the game up when it comes to a shooter.

I shouldn't have to read it in the manual, anyway. They have a long ass tutorial section. If they did mention it in there, I missed it, but so did quite a few others.

newsguy said:
So quick question about stealth. My buddy playing it now says that it's not made for stealth, but then again he never plays FPS. After watching the video where the guy takes out the enemy's leg, then takes out the guy who tries to pick him up, I really want to do that in the game. Is it at all possible or are the enemies blessed with Splinter Cell 2 senses and shoot at you no matter how far or quiet you are?
It's a mix. If they haven't already detected you you can be stealthy and move quite freely through busy areas as long as you're careful. But once they've spotted you they are freakishly good at keeping track of you through dense foliage; you'll spend a lot of time being shot at and trying to pinpoint where exactly by the damage indicator, as well as visual cues like dust, falling branches, and muzzle flash. I do find myself coming upon enemies unawares more often than I thought I would in this game, plus you can outwit them to a limited extent by distracting them or circling around. I once shot a mercenary in the act of throwing a grenade at a shack I had been in about ten seconds earlier.

There is a stealth suit you can get, although I can't afford it yet, and silenced weaponry etc. including a dart gun. The game advertised these two me as being useful for those who wanted to play stealthily. I mean, Splinter Cell it ain't, but you can definitely scope out situations and move through some of them unseen with a bit of caution.

FatalT

Banned
My performance actually decreased with the new 180.43 drivers nvidia put out today.

Using the 180.42 drivers from October 21st:

1440x900 with DX10 @ Ultra High
* Average Framerate: 42.25
* Max. Framerate: 58.15 (Frame:323, 6.41s)
* Min. Framerate: 30.78 (Frame:1634, 39.04s)

Using the 180.43 drivers from October 24th (today):

1440x900 with DX10 @ Ultra High
* Average Framerate: 39.73
* Max. Framerate: 57.72 (Frame:305, 6.42s)
* Min. Framerate: 27.46 (Frame:725, 17.35s)

Now I just need to get 180.42 back on here.

Zzoram

Okay, I'm in the tutorial still, and I need help:

My current mission is to buy a gun from the weapon shop. The only guns unlocked are ones I already have, and I don't want to waste diamonds on them. Do I have to buy one to advance the game, or is there a way to skip that?

Shake Appeal said:
It's a mix. If they haven't already detected you you can be stealthy and move quite freely through busy areas as long as you're careful. But once they've spotted you they are freakishly good at keeping track of you through dense foliage; you'll spend a lot of time being shot at and trying to pinpoint where exactly by the damage indicator, as well as visual cues like dust, falling branches, and muzzle flash. I do find myself coming upon enemies unawares more often than I thought I would in this game, plus you can outwit them to a limited extent by distracting them or circling around. I once shot a mercenary in the act of throwing a grenade at a shack I had been in about ten seconds earlier.

There is a stealth suit you can get, although I can't afford it yet, and silenced weaponry etc. including a dart gun. The game advertised these two me as being useful for those who wanted to play stealthily. I mean, Splinter Cell it ain't, but you can definitely scope out situations and move through some of them unseen with a bit of caution.

Speaking of stealth, if you wait until night-time, are the missions easier to accomplish since you should be harder to spot in the dark, right?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Zzoram said:

My current mission is to buy a gun from the weapon shop. The only guns unlocked are ones I already have, and I don't want to waste diamonds on them. Do I have to buy one to advance the game, or is there a way to skip that?

You should buy them because once you drop the guns you already have, they're gone if you leave the area. Buying guns from the online shop will ensure they're always there for you at the armory (or in a safehouse if you stash them into a crate which you also have to buy).

BTW, I haven't played FC2 since last night (of which I only played for like an hour before QT with wife).

Really looking forward to getting back into it.

Zzoram, how come you're only at the tutorial?

KrawlMan

Zzoram said:

I'm pretty sure you need to buy one of those. But consider this, even though you may already have those guns, the ones from the weapon shop are in perfect condition and aren't gonna jam or break down on you for a long time.

This too:
chespace said:
You should buy them because once you drop the guns you already have, they're gone if you leave the area. Buying guns from the online shop will ensure they're always there for you at the armory (or in a safehouse if you stash them into a crate which you also have to buy).

f@luS

More than a member.
KrawlMan said:
For those playing in 16:10 on the PC, go use that FOV Tool i posted earlier. Im messing with it right now, its perfect.
im using a HDTV 1360*768, what is the fov i have to use?

newsguy

Shake Appeal said:

Sweet thanks. I don't mind that once they spot me they find me. I just don't want them to see me if I haven't given them a reason to.

Klocker

Ysiadmihi said:

more or less agree except when using the buggy or a boat. then again even in a jeep the fact that there is always something alive up ahead that may cause you problems, it feels alive. I prefer it to the Bus transport system.

KrawlMan

f@luS said:
im using a HDTV 1360*768, what is the fov i have to use?

You can go ahead and try out these settings

X FOV: 1.31
Y FOV: 1.128

See how that looks, and if its ridiculously off, just go ahead and tweak it yourself until it appears correctly (you can do this using commands in game)

Zeliard

Solideliquid said:
Speaking of stealth, if you wait until night-time, are the missions easier to accomplish since you should be harder to spot in the dark, right?

Yep. At night it's definitely harder for them to see you, quite significantly.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Zeliard said:
Yep. At night it's definitely harder for them to see you, quite significantly.

I have my gamma turned down and contrast turned up a bit because I think it looks more realistic. At night, it's even hard for me to see enemies. :lol

I wish there was a flashlight in this game.

So with that FOV tool, what do I need to set it to if I am playing on a 24" monitor at 1920x1200?

Ledsen

chespace said:
I have my gamma turned down and contrast turned up a bit because I think it looks more realistic. At night, it's even hard for me to see enemies. :lol

So with that FOV tool, what do I need to set it to if I am playing on a 24" monitor at 1920x1200?

That would be so awesome, I love the lighting effects from my headlights when driving around at night, especially chasing zebras on the savvanah. A flashlight would indeed be awesome.

KrawlMan

chespace said:

For 16:10 (like yours)

X FOV: 1.31
Y FOV: 1.253

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tom Penny said:
That doesn't make sense unless ATI cards don't run the game well. I'm running it on an Nvidia 8800 and I get 25-40 everyting Ultra settings except for shadows on high with 2AA and I know that card is better.
You'd be surprised how ATI cards are with gaming. I was so close to getting a 9800 instead of the 4850 simply because I saw it outperforming in benchmarks by quite some fps, even though the card is much worse like you said.

f@luS

More than a member.
i have some bug in textures. like some are pink red or other gay colors. Its wonderland not africa

Zzoram

f@luS said:
i have some bug in textures. like some are pink red or other gay colors. Its wonderland not africa

let me guess, HD4870 in DX10

ya it's some weird glitch, hopefully driver 8.11 next month fixes that

Top Bottom