• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

TTG

newsguy said:
So quick question about stealth. My buddy playing it now says that it's not made for stealth, but then again he never plays FPS. After watching the video where the guy takes out the enemy's leg, then takes out the guy who tries to pick him up, I really want to do that in the game. Is it at all possible or are the enemies blessed with Splinter Cell 2 senses and shoot at you no matter how far or quiet you are?

It should work, you just have to make sure you're REALLY far away from the whole thing. As soon as one sniper shot goes off the whole camp is alerted and unless you're a mile off and on high ground, they'll know you're there.

The enemy snipers are even more amazing. One of the first missions has you creeping up on a mansion where a sniper patrols the second floor balcony. As soon as you can see him through your scope, he sees you. Amazing focus and awareness on his part to see someone in the jungle about a mile out. :lol

I find that I can sneak around real close to people when crawling around using a silenced pistol. With accuracy upgrade and headshots you can do real nice damage. Also, stealth works better when you're in vegetation sniping and kinda sucks when you're in a building with a louder weapon, like a shotgun.

EDIT: everyone notices a grenade but if you just want to start a fire there's no sure bet they'll notice a molotov. And fires are distracting.

Bananimus

Zzoram said:
ya, it seems to be a driver bug, it'll be fixed on the next release
The 8.10 (10/15) driver seemed to fix the rainbow craziness for me (4850, for both DX9 and DX10). Had to go back to DX9 to get rid of hitching, though.

Foster

Did anyone here order it from HMV? I got my copy today (awesome game, love it!) and I can't seem to find the exclusive missions. I got a sticker on the box but when I put the password in "promotional content" it doesn't work, anyone got this problem? :(

WrikaWrek

Banned
I must be missing something. I've clocked in like 3 hours in the game already, looks amazing on PC, BUT, holy shit wtf is going on?

So, everytime i pick up a car and go somewhere i have to go through the same goddamn stupid "chases", kill the same dudes over and over and over again.

People said AC was repetitive, jesus christ, i'm already sick of this game. Does this change? Or this is how the game is always supposed to be?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
WrikaWrek said:
I must be missing something. I've clocked in like 3 hours in the game already, looks amazing on PC, BUT, holy shit wtf is going on?

So, everytime i pick up a car and go somewhere i have to go through the same goddamn stupid "chases", kill the same dudes over and over and over again.

People said AC was repetitive, jesus christ, i'm already sick of this game. Does this change? Or this is how the game is always supposed to be?
Yeah, they just respawn

It took me about 3 hours to get into the game and how it plays. I really, really like it now though.

Shit that's good (+):

(+) Gun sounds
(+) Diamond system, because you don't need to spend 400 hours looking at a guide to find them all. Good balance of luck and effort.
(+) Jamming animations
(+) Explosions
(+) Fire system, albeit not nearly as nice looking as in the bullshots
(+) Lots of guns, most of them really fun to use, generally well-animated
(+) Fixing cars, albeit simple, adds to the immersion factor

Shit that's shit (-):

(-) Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to see what time it is without being in a safe-house (seriously, what the fuck). So much effort was put into the night/day system, and it absolutely baffles me that this is the case.
(-) Map system 'feels' good in terms of how slickly it animates, but gets very clunky at times (driving, etc, though I suppose it could be argued you aren't "supposed" to be able to focus on the map while driving).
(-) Voicework: seriously, did the director specifically tell all the actors to mumble every single line? How did this even happen??
(-) Shoddy hit detection
(-) Weapons generally don't do enough damage (both enemy and player)
(-) Targeting objects is frequently frustrating
(-) Sighting Scope system is absolutely horrid, too zoomed in, clunky, impossible to detect anything

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
WrikaWrek said:

Give it some time. Drive off road. Park a ways from the outpost (watch when you're coming up to one). Have fun with taking them out. Relish the combat or something. Try different combat maneuvers. Snipe them. Sneak up on them. I actually find combat to be very intense and I don't always come out of them for the better, but ammo and medikits are pretty abundant, even during a mission, so I"m not that worried.

I think the complaints about hit detection with the weapons, as well as damage, is a symptom of the game's artificial "leveling" ramp. You start off with shitty inaccurate weapons so the gameplay reflects that -- except that's neither realistic nor enjoyable.

STALKER is the same way and I'm currently in The Garbage for the first time fighting something like 600 bandits with a shitty MP5 and scrounging around for clips because it takes like 10 bullets to hit and kill someone.

WrikaWrek

Banned
chespace said:
Give it some time. Drive off road. Park a ways from the outpost (watch when you're coming up to one). Have fun with taking them out. Relish the combat or something. Try different combat maneuvers. Snipe them. Sneak up on them. I actually find combat to be very intense and I don't always come out of them for the better, but ammo and medikits are pretty abundant, even during a mission, so I"m not that worried.

Ugh, just horrible then. I like the combat, but i don't think it's fun at all to fight the same guys in the same place, but just with different approaches.

This game is supposed to take like 30 hours or something to finish, i'm returning it. I just can't take anymore of the dudes in the outposts. Let me drive in peace bitches.

bee

MomoPufflet said:
Shit that's shit (-):
(-) Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to see what time it is without being in a safe-house (seriously, what the fuck). So much effort was put into the night/day system, and it absolutely baffles me that this is the case.

doesn't bother me really its quite light up until around 10pm

(-) Voicework: seriously, did the director specifically tell all the actors to mumble every single line? How did this even happen??

voice work is good for comedy value :p

(-) Shoddy hit detection

yup

(-) Weapons generally don't do enough damage (both enemy and player)

play on infamous

(-) Targeting objects is frequently frustrating

with the hand? yeah

(-) Sighting Scope system is absolutely horrid, too zoomed in, clunky, impossible to detect anything

yes, zooms in a horrid amount and has 1 million sensitivity

still having fun though :D

Zeliard

WrikaWrek said:
Ugh, just horrible then. I like the combat, but i don't think it's fun at all to fight the same guys in the same place, but just with different approaches.

This game is supposed to take like 30 hours or something to finish, i'm returning it. I just can't take anymore of the dudes in the outposts. Let me drive in peace bitches.

Dude, just drive around them. You can see every outpost on your map. It's an enormous world and you have several different paths. You don't have to take the dirt road every time. Maneuver around those trees. :p

chespace

bee said:
still having fun though :D

Wait... wait... what?

Playing on infamous raises weapon damage values all around and not just makes you take more damage?

WHAT?

(also, lack of a watch or flashlight really sucks. makes me not want to explore as much).

Zeliard

chespace said:
Wait... wait... what?

Playing on infamous raises weapon damage values all around and not just makes you take more damage?

WHAT?

(also, lack of a watch or flashlight really sucks. makes me not want to explore as much).

I think no flashlight is perfectly fair. At nighttime, your enemies are quite blinded, so it's only fair you should be as well. I think it's really fun fighting at night, in almost pitch black darkness, except for the occasional explosion and muzzle flash. Tense as hell, and awesome.

No watch sucks, though. I posted earlier how I don't get why they don't let you just pull it out anytime.

bee

chespace said:
Wait... wait... what?

WHAT?

hmmm, dunno about the enemies dying quicker as i've only played it on this difficulty but a single headshot kills all like stalker but you can certainly die off a single enemy blasting you with an ak-47 or whatever in like 2 secs

chespace

Zeliard said:
I think no flashlight is perfectly fair. At nighttime, your enemies are quite blinded, so it's only fair you should be as well. I think it's really fun fighting at night, in almost pitch black darkness, except for the occasional explosion and muzzle flash. Tense as hell, and awesome.

No watch sucks, though. I posted earlier how I don't get why they don't let you just pull it out anytime.

No, I think no flashlight is retarded. The penalty for a flashlight is obvious during combat and I think Crysis understood that. I want the flashlight to explore and go for walks at night. And I think ambient lighting at night is generally pretty crappy in the game.

Bee: sounds un-fun, in that case. I want my guns to kill faster too.

bee

it can be un-fun yeah, but it generally forces you to hold back and plan assaults or just snipe and you certainly can't wade into any camp like superman, forces you to aim well also with headshots although once you get a decent sniper practically any shot kills in 1 shot

Zeliard

Meh, I think having no flashlight adds greatly to the atmosphere and survival aspect. It would be silly of a merc to go running around with a flashlight with enemy outposts all around - it makes no sense within the context of the setting and story. Bit different in Crysis since your guy there is essentially superhuman. If you want to explore, why not just do it during the day? The time span is extremely slow in the game, so sunlight lasts for a long time.

TTG

WrikaWrek said:

Stay away from the main roads OR snipe the guards, there's usually only 3 or 4 of them. Overall it's a horrible design choice, there's a half dozen of ways to handle this problem. A hitman style system would work very well...

Always nice to be walking along a road, minding your own business, only to have some random civilian car with one person inside change his course to run you the fuck over. :/

chespace

bee said:
i will say one thing about infamous difficulty, my saved games folder is currently 462mb :p

That's also another thing that bugs me. One of the reasons why FC2 is tolerable for me is because I'm playing on PC with quicksave. It really takes the frustrations out of the random encounter taking you back 20 mins.

But quicksaves do not overwrite quicksaves so each quicksave is a separate save file. And the save file management system is piss poor so... yeah, I have lots of files too. :p

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think the dialog was recorded at 4pm before a three day weekend. It's the only explanation for lines that seem to run on without any pause, for nearly every character.

"Hey what are you doing are you going to take out that greenhouse ok here's what I need I need you to go to the airstrip and steal the tank so I can fly in my plane and fog the mansion and the enemies wont know what hit them get that tank for me Ill be waiting."

chespace said:
That's also another thing that bugs me. One of the reasons why FC2 is tolerable for me is because I'm playing on PC with quicksave. It really takes the frustrations out of the random encounter taking you back 20 mins.

But quicksaves do not overwrite quicksaves so each quicksave is a separate save file. And the save file management system is piss poor so... yeah, I have lots of files too. :p

I hate shit like that. I remember having 800 megs of Oblivion save files on my old computer.

Zeliard

chubigans said:
I think the dialog was recorded at 4pm before a three day weekend. It's the only explanation for lines that seem to run on without any pause, for nearly every character.

"Hey what are you doing are you going to take out that greenhouse ok here's what I need I need you to go to the airstrip and steal the tank so I can fly in my plane and fog the mansion and the enemies wont know what hit them get that tank for me Ill be waiting."

Seriously, they all seem to be in a fucking hurry. :lol Pause between sentences, jesus.

I haven't come across that many buddies yet, but the only decent voice actors in the game from what I've heard so far seem to be for the Jackal and the Russian guy.

KrawlMan

Zeliard said:
Seriously, they all seem to be in a fucking hurry. :lol Pause between sentences, jesus.

I haven't come across that many buddies yet, but the only decent voice actors in the game from what I've heard so far seem to be for the Jackal and the Russian guy.

Both of them still talk too fast :p

Zeliard

KrawlMan said:
Both of them still talk too fast :p

Yeah, but they do sound more natural than the others, who just sound awful.

I have to agree that the voice acting in the game is generally tragic, especially since I'm simultaneously playing Fable 2, which features some great voice acting (as do basically all Molyneux/Lionhead games).

Still, not that huge a deal.

Haunted

No flashlight and watch options don't make much sense, yeah. I mean, I wouldn't walk around at night to explore anyway (I'm in the middle of fucking Africa, there's wild animals and shit), but they should've included the option at least.

And yeah, the lighting during the day is far superior to the nighttime lighting in general.

chubigans said:

:lol :lol I just did that mission.

chespace said:

Its actually really obvious this is a console port, because the entire system is based on save points. Quick saving pretty much makes the entire safehouse mechanic redundant.

TTG

Has anyone purchased the camo suit yet? Is there a stealthy way to go through a mission with the camo suit and the dart gun?

I'm wondering because it seems all the bad guys have telepathy. Really, as soon as one of them gets shot down they all immediately locate exactly where I am. Just to add to the fun one or two will either spawn within 50 feet of you... either that or they can cover a great distance in seconds.

I've started to use crouch a lot more and shooting at any explosives to distract them, but it's still annoying.

Also, there's an awesome little safe house on the northern edge of the map. It's close enough to the bus station, you should see a big rock formation and some lakes beneath it. The safe house is on a hill with a hang glider right outside the door. Awesome views, awesome hang glider :D

stuminus3

Yeeeeeah... I'm gonna have to call out the quite obvious trolling that's appeared in this thread regarding the console versions. Some posts here seem to state the game is an unplayable mess on consoles. In fact based on the couple of hours I've now spent with the 360 version, I'll have to say the reality is the opposite - this is one of the most technically amazing games ever released on a console.

Sure, it's not Crysis running on a high-end PC... of course it's not... but I never thought my 360 could do what Far Cry 2 does. It's stunning. The geometry, the detail, the effects, the environment, the atmosphere, the scope... all running as smooth as silk 99% of the time. Ubisoft Montreal have some real chops when it comes to the tech, and Far Cry 2 is probably their best effort yet.

No comment on the gameplay yet... I actually enjoyed the "tutorial" section at the beginning, though I can see how some of the things mentioned in this thread could get annoying after a while.

Just wanted to comment on the tech of the console versions. It's pretty great.

TTG said:
Has anyone purchased the camo suit yet? Is there a stealthy way to go through a mission with the camo suit and the dart gun?

I'm wondering because it seems all the bad guys have telepathy. Really, as soon as one of them gets shot down they all immediately locate exactly where I am. Just to add to the fun one or two will either spawn within 50 feet of you... either that or they can cover a great distance in seconds.

I've started to use crouch a lot more and shooting at any explosives to distract them, but it's still annoying.

Also, there's an awesome little safe house on the northern edge of the map. It's close enough to the bus station, you should see a big rock formation and some lakes beneath it. The safe house is on a hill with a hang glider right outside the door. Awesome views, awesome hang glider :D

THIS. I had enough to buy this on my last save, but I went ahead and bought Silenced MP5 and Flamethrower(awesome). However I'm willing to go back to that save if the camo suit is truly worth it/helpful.

Oozer3993

stuminus3 said:
Yeeeeeah... I'm gonna have to call out the quite obvious trolling that's appeared in this thread regarding the console versions. Some posts here seem to state the game is an unplayable mess on consoles. In fact based on the couple of hours I've now spent with the 360 version, I'll have to say the reality is the opposite - this is one of the most technically amazing games ever released on a console.

Sure, it's not Crysis running on a high-end PC... of course it's not... but I never thought my 360 could do what Far Cry 2 does. It's stunning. The geometry, the detail, the effects, the environment, the atmosphere, the scope... all running as smooth as silk 99% of the time. Ubisoft Montreal have some real chops when it comes to the tech, and Far Cry 2 is probably their best effort yet.

No comment on the gameplay yet... I actually enjoyed the "tutorial" section at the beginning, though I can see how some of the things mentioned in this thread could get annoying after a while.

Just wanted to comment on the tech of the console versions. It's pretty great.

I agree completely. I've been playing it on the 360 and at times it can be jaw-dropping. I found a safe house tucked in a cliff near a gorgeous little forested lake. When I went to sleep in the house, the day-night cycle it showed was breathtaking. And seeing the sun filter through trees in the forest during the morning is amazing.

Foster said:
Did anyone here order it from HMV? I got my copy today (awesome game, love it!) and I can't seem to find the exclusive missions. I got a sticker on the box but when I put the password in "promotional content" it doesn't work, anyone got this problem? :(

Capitalization counts. Make sure you capitalize any letters capitalized in the code.

So can you do anything with configuration files or whatnot to try to fix some stuff, like bullet damage, or is it all compressed into some weird ass files you can't access?

What has Ubisoft said about supporting the modding community in general?

KrawlMan

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
THIS. I had enough to buy this on my last save, but I went ahead and bought Silenced MP5 and Flamethrower(awesome). However I'm willing to go back to that save if the camo suit is truly worth it/helpful.

I went ahead and bought the camo suit...it is indeed helpful. I'm able to sneak around and take out enemies with an instant barrage of bullets coming from all directions.

I probably should have spent my money on something else considering I pretty much always just run in and waste shit.

eshwaaz

chespace said:
One of the reasons why FC2 is tolerable for me is because I'm playing on PC with quicksave. It really takes the frustrations out of the random encounter taking you back 20 mins.

This frustrates me to no end. My PC is not up to snuff, so I'm playing on 360. This game screams for exploration and experimentation, yet I don't want to risk either because of the prohibitive save house system.

The original reason for console versions of games not offering save anytime/anywhere is long gone. If you want to design your game around a save point system instead of a save anytime system, fine - but design for one method or the other. A game simply cannot be balanced properly if you're supporting both ways in different versions and that's the only difference between the two.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Picked up both the PS3 and 360 versions today - gotta support fellow Canucks, ya know. After R2 beta nearly every night this week, it'll be good to switch things up a bit before fighting the Chimera for real when the full game is out.

Into the heart of darkness I go...

TTG

eshwaaz said:
This frustrates me to no end. My PC is not up to snuff, so I'm playing on 360. This game screams for exploration and experimentation, yet I don't want to risk either because of the prohibitive save house system.

The original reason for console versions of games not offering save anytime/anywhere is long gone. If you want to design your game around a save point system instead of a save anytime system, fine - but design for one method or the other. A game simply cannot be balanced properly if you're supporting both ways in different versions and that's the only difference between the two.

I'm guessing that the checkpoint save system was a design decision, not a result of laziness or technical difficulty. If anything it looks to me like the quicksave system was patched into the PC port. Not that I'm defending the choice to do it that way, I haven't played enough of the game yet BUT:

-There's a learning curve. After a few hours you have superior weapons, so a 1 vs 4 skirmish should not be a big deal.

-You almost always have more than enough health kits and on the off chance you get run over or eat a shotgun the "buddy" system kicks in so you almost never have to load a save because of a random guard post.

I think the root of the problem is that everyone outside of town is your mortal enemy. It doesn't help that most of the time the AI will notice you as soon as you see them, or even earlier. They will also leave their post to hunt you down even if you don't fire a single round at them.

Nikorasu

Fallout-NL said:
Well let's put it like this: If you had to choose between say Dead Space and Far Cry 2, go for Dead Space. Far Cry 2 is... fun... for a while I guess. But it's got no chance of being a timeless classic like Dead Space is shaping up to be.

You know what? I bought Dead Space and got to chapter 4 then quit for the night. The next day I got FC2 and played for almost 7 hours straight and am not in any hurry to finish Dead Space any time soon. I know DS is overall a much more polished and solid experience, but for some reason I'm just drawn into this game a lot more.

On an unrelated note, is anyone using vista x64 and a 4870x2 having problems with the game crashing after every hour or so? I'm using the latest hotfix drivers and after a while I start seeing geometry distorting or flickering, then soon after, bam. Desktop. No warnings or errors. Boots up fine afterwards but it always happens without fail. Or, with fail. I guess.

I bought the camosuit but I didn't put it to 'use' much as I was driving around in my car to locations rather than sneakining in.But I'll try it later today.Apparently it makes you less easier to spot when you're crouching in low grass.

Is there a way with or without the camosuit to take out enemis without alerting their friends? I've tried a number of times to be stealthy, I would slowly sneak up on one, get out my knife and do him but they always find me almost instantly. This is one of the very few things that I'm not happy with.

I would like to hear some of your strategies in dealing with enemies in a stealthy way.They also can spot you from a long distances!.. it's annoying when your cover is blown.

One other thing that I hate is, when you're gettiing shot at and not knowing who's shooting at you.It seems to happen to me all the time.

I've put about 7-8 hours into it and I'm 12% complete.Moving from one place to another isn't as bad as you would think in an open world game, as there's usually a car or boat nearby. Gun play is a tad clunky.

I've put in a number of head shots on enemies but sometimes they take a whole clip to go down.Gun jamming! I hate it! And what's the deal with guns that 'age'.A bit stupid I think.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game for what it is.No loading during areas is a positive, the HDR in the game is excellent and I enjoy just exploring..I found this racing buggy, like the thing you drive in HL2.Great for escaping in a hurry but there's no gun turret.MP I havn't checked out.

That's all for now.

Top Bottom