• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

MicVlaD said:
So I just started playing this game, but is it me or did Ubi Montreal cut some A.I. behaviours in the 360 version? I could've sworn that you could shoot enemies in the leg from a distance so that fellow guards would try to treat their wounds or carry them to safety...

I'm playing the 360 version and I saw this happen last night. I sniped a guy in the stomach and his friend came over, picked him up, and slung him over his shoulder. First time I'd ever seen it (and I've been playing for at around 14 hours). I have seen guys run to the wounded and kneel infront of them once before as well.

I think all the behavior is there I just think the different versions of the game prioritize things differently. I also think the AI works differently depending on how many other AI enemies are around.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
This is why, crazy as I may sound, I actually prefer no quicksave in the console version.

Goodbye Sweet Prince was an unexpected acheivement to get too. Surprised it was one after I pulled the trigger.

Tr4nce

So, ehm I just turned on my PS3, and got a message that I needed to download an update for FC2. Did I miss anything? It's 28 MB in size. Surely they didn't patch the weird AI behaviour?

bee

BobFromPikeCreek said:
This is why, crazy as I may sound, I actually prefer no quicksave in the console version.

why? quicksave isn't mandatory its optional, if you don't wanna use it don't use it and then its exactly the same as the console system, personally though i always use it

KrawlMan

bee said:
why? quicksave isn't mandatory its optional, if you don't wanna use it don't use it and then its exactly the same as the console system, personally though i always use it

Especially considering how often this game seems to just crash and send me instantly to the desktop while using the HD 4850...I'd have given up long ago if it weren't for the quick save.

bee

KrawlMan said:
Especially considering how often this game seems to just crash and send me instantly to the desktop while using the HD 4850...I'd have given up long ago if it weren't for the quick save.

must be an ati problem as lots of people have that but i played close to 20hours on a 8800gts and had zero crashes

the game would of been crazy annoying without quicksave on infamous difficulty

JBuccCP said:
That's the exact loadout I'm using right now. First I'll soften them up from long range with the dart rifle, then run in guns ablaze and start blowing shit up.
Mine too, although I haven't unlocked everything yet so I'm using the silenced MP-5 in the primary slot.

naughntown

Does anyone know if there are any codes or cheats for the 360 version other than the bonus missions? Once I beat a game, my favorite thing with sandboxes are to try and break them... I like running through invincible and trying all types of random acts to push the limits.

KrawlMan

Caesar III said:
Bought the game today for 29€ new at a newly opened store near us.

Great game so far. It's just a little empty out there in Africa :/

The vegetation in the world is wonderful, but all the plants in the world wont make up for the lack of animals :(

Overall I'm enjoy the game a ton. But there needs to be much much more wildlife. I understand that there wouldn't be all too many animals just hanging out around camps and the towns, but when I'm straying far off the beaten path, I expect to see a little bit more going on.

It also doesn't help that when you do happen to run across some animals, then tend to have some sort of insane compulsion to break their necks on parked vehicles (has happened to me about 4-5 times so far). Although humorous, it kinda pulls you out of the world a bit.

Nizz

Tr4nce said:
So, ehm I just turned on my PS3, and got a message that I needed to download an update for FC2. Did I miss anything? It's 28 MB in size. Surely they didn't patch the weird AI behaviour?
That's weird. Could it be a patch to somehow tie in Far Cry 2 to the HOME space in some way?

Man, I'm 12 hours in, only about 20% of the main quest completed, and this is quickly becoming one of my favorite games this gen. I've been playing the game projected on a 5'x8' wall, and fighting at night is one of the most beautiful gaming experiences I've ever had. I love the combat, it combines the free-form improvisation and vehicle use that I love in Halo, with the do-anything, go-anywhere adventure of games like Mercenaries, Crackdown and GTA. And the first person immersion is the absolute best since the original Half-Life. Having never gotten a taste of Stalker or Crysis, I had no idea I even wanted a game like this until I played it. And I love it.

It's going to be real hard going back to confined, linear level shooters after this.

GQman2121

Banned
The PS3 patch apparently: "fixes a region lock issue so that North American players can link up with Euro players."

This was posted on the games boards by a mod.

My control issues are fixed now that I've lowered the graphics settings. Previously, I had been running FC2 on high in DX10, and everything had worked well except for the controls. I brought it down to medium on DX9 and it runs super smooth. The graphics aren't as hot obviously, but it is playable!

On a general note, I'm really starting to dig this game. I enjoy wondering around the wild in Africa a lot more than the typical GTA or Saints Row urban environment.

KrawlMan said:
The vegetation in the world is wonderful, but all the plants in the world wont make up for the lack of animals :(
Overall I'm enjoy the game a ton. But there needs to be much much more wildlife. I understand that there wouldn't be all too many animals just hanging out around camps and the towns, but when I'm straying far off the beaten path, I expect to see a little bit more going on.
I dunno if it makes any difference but I bought the PC version of the game. So far I'm 4% in the game. I haven't started any story mission so far but secured about 8 safe houses. While doing so I met a lot of animals in those 3 hours I'm playing so far. About 20 I would say. (haven't counted)

But I don't mean the lack of animals per se but the lack of human npcs. I met the girl in mikes bar and there is no feeling here. I dunno her name and that is a bad thing! I just don't care about her. Something like this never happens in GTA for example.
There is no human world in this game :( But it is great fun anyway.

blazinglazers said:
this is quickly becoming one of my favorite games this gen. I've been playing the game projected on a 5'x8' wall, and fighting at night is one of the most beautiful gaming experiences I've ever had. I love the combat, it combines the free-form improvisation and vehicle use that I love in Halo, with the do-anything, go-anywhere adventure of games like Mercenaries, Crackdown and GTA.
THIS!

KrawlMan

Caesar III said:
I dunno if it makes any difference but I bought the PC version of the game. So far I'm 4% in the game. I haven't started any story mission so far but secured about 8 safe houses. While doing so I met a lot of animals in those 3 hours I'm playing so far. About 20 I would say. (haven't counted)

But I don't mean the lack of animals per se but the lack of human npcs. I met the girl in mikes bar and there is no feeling here. I dunno her name and that is a bad thing! I just don't care about her. Something like this never happens in GTA for example.

THIS!

I feel like I've only seen about 30 animals over time that I've been playin the game (~15-20 hours)...maybe I haven't been paying enough attention :lol

I definitely agree with you about the NPCs though. I feel like the only time you have any legitimate interaction with NPCs is either when you are accepting a mission, or when you are about to assassinate somebody.

Perhaps you are out all time at night. The animals are day-active :D

Even if there is only this small part of interaction, why are they so stare? They act like dolls. This would never happen in GTA. There you remember every guy because he is dumb, funny or something. But those are some generic dolls in a living world :/

NPC wise, it'd be great for them to introduce civilians and regular traffic in the next iteration. There are complications though; if the designers don't want you killing innocents, how could they work it? They could use a GTA model, where there's a police force that shows up, but that doesn't really fit with the world. They could divide regions by faction, so instead of an independent police force, whatever aligned faction shows up... but then that's not really a punishment, since you're probably all about killing the factions anyway. They could go the Mercs route and just fine you, but that could get pretty annoying in firefights where civilians get killed accidentally & bankrupt you.

I don't know how they could do it, but it would add.

I keep seeing animals all around the desert and savanahs though. Never in the jungle. A few times I've seen flying bugs and in some rooms, usually in the Underground you'll see cockroaches.

They could straight up safety the weapons when you targeted NPCs. I can imagine people getting pissed at that. Still wouldn't stop grenades or rockets though.

Funny that I never snipe or purposefully kill wildlife but have no problem shooting the enemy.

Nizz

Warm Machine said:
I keep seeing animals all around the desert and savanahs though. Never in the jungle. A few times I've seen flying bugs and in some rooms, usually in the Underground you'll see cockroaches.

They could straight up safety the weapons when you targeted NPCs. I can imagine people getting pissed at that. Still wouldn't stop grenades or rockets though.

Funny that I never snipe or purposefully kill wildlife but have no problem shooting the enemy.
Same here. I had finally got to a point where I saw gazelles running across the Savannah, had one in my sniper scope for a clean headshot, but couldn't pull the trigger! :D Soon as I got to a locked safehouse though, I unloaded the bullets...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
blazinglazers said:
NPC wise, it'd be great for them to introduce civilians and regular traffic in the next iteration. There are complications though; if the designers don't want you killing innocents, how could they work it? They could use a GTA model, where there's a police force that shows up, but that doesn't really fit with the world. They could divide regions by faction, so instead of an independent police force, whatever aligned faction shows up... but then that's not really a punishment, since you're probably all about killing the factions anyway. They could go the Mercs route and just fine you, but that could get pretty annoying in firefights where civilians get killed accidentally & bankrupt you.

I don't know how they could do it, but it would add.

I think that not knowing if it's a civvy or some guy who is going to blow your ass away would add a ton of tension and general awesome to the game. Definitely penalize civilian deaths in some way though, so you can't just breeze through the game gunning down eveything.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Sorry guys, but chasing down zebras and plowing into them with my jeep is still one of my favourite parts of the game.
Play Raptor Safari, you bastard :D

@blazing: I don't mean to make a living world by adding a lot more of them but to make those who are in the game lovely. I don't give a shit about the girl, she is just a story-plot, not a character like alyx (HL2) for example

Munin

Caesar III said:

THIS!

I want to use this opportunity to say that in my opinion, Ubi Montreal did a fantastic job with the buddies. Sure, they aren't exactly unique, well-written personalities, but there is a certain charm about each and every one of them, and at least for me, I genuinely started to care about them, even when interaction was kept to a minimum. The emotional attachment came from actions - such as them rescuing me - rather than some overambitious writer bringing down his overwrought "You have to really like this person" dialogue on me.

And just that made the situations where I had to mercy kill my buddies all the more effective. Doing it the first time really shocked me. I felt empty for a while afterwards. Not a lot of games are able to do that - and certainly not with such minimalist storytelling.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Sorry guys, but chasing down zebras and plowing into them with my jeep is still one of my favourite parts of the game.

Hahaha glad i'm not the only one. I once chased this zebra for what must have been at least a mile or two. Actually felt bad when I finally did him in. I've also noticed the wildlife lets you approach much closer wearing the camo suit. I was almost able to machete a deer.....

madmook

There have been several times where I'm driving along a road and suddenly I see a zebra or two running along beside me. Just outta friggin' nowhere.

I always swerve into them.

MacBosse

I just had a zebra run away from me straight into a buggy standing by the road. Knocked itself out cold with a loud "CLONK" and the buggy started smoking.

Great game!

newsguy

I played it last night. I already knew the tutorial would bore me so I played past the first hour or so without judging. Once I had my freedom I was going towards an objective and came across an outpost. As a disclaimer, my one and only goal in this game is to be Tom Berringer in Sniper. I want to camp out and pick guys off. I literally crouched on a cliff for 5 minutes wating for the 2 guys to seperate enough for me to get 2 clean shots. I was successful and that was the end of my free time. I played for like 5 hours after that.

In another outpost I threw a molotov which sent the guys out of their shack. Once they were out I picked them off and proceeded to jump on to the aluminum house which had a suitcase on top of it. So it's nighttime, there's a brush fire, and I'm jumping from a small cliff on to a rooftop to jack some blood diamonds. So far the game is what I had hoped for :D

Ledsen

Cerrius said:
So what's the general consensus on this?

great, bad, average? worth picking up at $60?

First couple of hours: Bad

Rest of game: Amazing

newsguy said:
I played it last night. I already knew the tutorial would bore me so I played past the first hour or so without judging. Once I had my freedom I was going towards an objective and came across an outpost. As a disclaimer, my one and only goal in this game is to be Tom Berringer in Sniper. I want to camp out and pick guys off. I literally crouched on a cliff for 5 minutes wating for the 2 guys to seperate enough for me to get 2 clean shots. I was successful and that was the end of my free time. I played for like 5 hours after that.

Oh man, just wait until you get the Dart Rifle and Camo...

Cerrius said:
So what's the general consensus on this?
great, bad, average? worth picking up at $60?
You wake up in a shack in the middle of the jungle. You check your map, looking for places you could get a mission (cell towers? arms dealer? warring factions? underground? mercs?). You choose one.

You set out by foot, but get ambushed by a truck with a mounted machine gun. You kill the driver and gunner, steal the truck, and drive off. Back on your way, you spot a road block ahead. You stop the truck, get behind the mounted gun, and let loose. You hit an arms cache, which explodes like fireworks, sending bullets everywhere. A firefight erupts. You wipe the camp out, finding a lone, wounded survivor propped up behind a tree, dying. He tries to pull his pistol. You sink your machete into his chest.

Back on the road now, you're driving along when you diamond gps lights up. You leave the road, hoofing it into the undergrowth. You find the diamond near the wreckage of a bus that tumbled down the ravine, but you also spot a guarded compound nearby. After scoping the place from a safe vantage, you launch your assault but get overzealous with the molotov cocktails. As flames engulf the entire ravine, you're cut down by an enemy who retreated to the tree line. You hit the ground, but don't die. You vision goes in and out as an a.i. buddy arrives, and drags you out of the combat. You're revived a few feet away safely behind a rock. You head back in with your a.i. buddy to finish the fight. You find health packs, and free a prisoner. They tell you to meet them later for a mission.

This newly freed compound is near the river, and you realize you could finish the journey to the mission start by boat. So down the river you go. Your diamond gps goes off again, but you can't seem to locate this one. You encounter an enemy patrol boat, and though you finish them off easily, they've damaged your engine. After repairing the boat, you finally make it to the bar where your mission awaits. But first you stop into the arms dealing to spend your diamonds on new weapons, or maybe an upgrade for your existing ones.

Finally, 45 minutes after you set out, you enter Mike's bar to get your mission.

If that sounds awesome to you, then the awesome game is awesome.

MMaRsu

blazinglazers said:
You wake up in a shack in the middle of the jungle. You check your map, looking for places you could get a mission (cell towers? arms dealer? warring factions? underground? mercs?). You choose one.

You set out by foot, but get ambushed by a truck with a mounted machine gun. You kill the driver and gunner, steal the truck, and drive off. Back on your way, you spot a road block ahead. You stop the truck, get behind the mounted gun, and let loose. You hit an arms cache, which explodes like fireworks, sending bullets everywhere. A firefight erupts. You wipe the camp out, finding a lone, wounded survivor propped up behind a tree, dying. He tries to pull his pistol. You sink your machete into his chest.

Back on the road now, you're driving along when you diamond gps lights up. You leave the road, hoofing it into the undergrowth. You find the diamond near the wreckage of a bus that tumbled down the ravine, but you also spot a guarded compound nearby. After scoping the place from a safe vantage, you launch your assault but get overzealous with the molotov cocktails. As flames engulf the entire ravine, you're cut down by an enemy who retreated to the tree line. You hit the ground, but don't die. You vision goes in and out as an a.i. buddy arrives, and drags you out of the combat. You're revived a few feet away safely behind a rock. You head back in with your a.i. buddy to finish the fight. You find health packs, and free a prisoner. They tell you to meet them later for a mission.

This newly freed compound is near the river, and you realize you could finish the journey to the mission start by boat. So down the river you go. Your diamond gps goes off again, but you can't seem to locate this one. You encounter an enemy patrol boat, and though you finish them off easily, they've damaged your engine. After repairing the boat, you finally make it to the bar where your mission awaits. But first you stop into the arms dealing to spend your diamonds on new weapons, or maybe an upgrade for your existing ones.

Finally, 45 minutes after you set out, you enter Mike's bar to get your mission.

If that sounds awesome to you, then the awesome game is awesome.

FUCK

This game can't get here fast enough lol...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't get the buddy dying system. After almost every mission where you do the optional "buddy" path, the buddy gets in trouble. No matter how fast you get there or what you do, in the end the buddy is lying next to some blue smoke needing medical attention.

This happened about 2-3 times. Now, I just did a mission, and it made me stick like 3 of my syringes into the buddy, then he died. WTF? What causes them to die instead of revive like they always do? I had a full set of syringes....

FlyinJ said:
This happened about 2-3 times. Now, I just did a mission, and it made me stick like 3 of my syringes into the buddy, then he died. WTF? What causes them to die instead of revive like they always do? I had a full set of syringes....

Circle of life, etc...

I don't think you can avoid this, it's a mechanic to introduce new buddies.

Anybody know if there's going to be a demo released for this puppy?

I hear all these great things about the game, but also murmurings about the feel of the shooting being not quite right, and having brain-dead AI for enemies.

Those are difficult points to move past when you can't get a feel for it for yourself.

MMaRsu

So what's the best difficulty to play this on? Is the AI better on hard ( 360 version ) or just cheating more ( like they can see you from further away etc )?

KrawlMan

FlyinJ said:
I don't get the buddy dying system. After almost every mission where you do the optional "buddy" path, the buddy gets in trouble. No matter how fast you get there or what you do, in the end the buddy is lying next to some blue smoke needing medical attention.

At least from my experience, whenever your buddy isn't healed from the first syrette, just shoot him in the head cause I'm pretty sure hes gonna die (anybody else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

As for your buddy always lying next to some blue smoke, I've only had that happen once actually. With the rest of the missions, by the time I arrive the he has already taken out most of the enemies :lol

NullPointer said:

A month or so back they said there would be no demo for the game. I'm pretty sure things haven't changed.

NullPointer said:

I hear all these great things about the game, but also murmurings about the feel of the shooting being not quite right, and having brain-dead AI for enemies.

Those are difficult points to move past when you can't get a feel for it for yourself.

There will never be a demo for this game as the Devs stated it would be like 20% of the game.

Ledsen

Lebron said:
is the dart rifle worth it? Whats it do, put them to sleep?

It's a one hit kill sniper rifle that doesn't alert your enemies.

NullPointer said:

The shooting is awesome, has no problem holding its own against any other shooter out there. Don't know why someone would say that. The AI (or rather, the all-seeing, perfect shot enemies) is the game's only real problem, but it doesn't ruin the game in any way, and it becomes much less of an issue the longer you play.

NullPointer said:

I can't imainge there'd be a demo, it's be like making a demo of GTA. It wouldn't work.

If you're undecided, I'd rent it. Just make sure you put a few hours in to get past the -long- tutorial sections. Once it opens up, you'll quickly get into the mix and it'll click or it won't.

I know I ended up having to lower the sensitivity to get it to 'feel' right. I also had to get used to the persistent first person view, and the rythm of the game. Attacking, healing, searching, travelling. It's unlike anything else I've played.

A.I. wise I'm not playing on the highest difficulty, but they're presenting a pretty good challenge. I feel like the damage model is pretty harsh. If someone catches you unaware, or gets a good bead on you with a mounted gun, you're fucked.

It's great.

Kibbles

Ok, I made Canals from Gears 2in Far Cry 2, but it won't let me save the name because it contains offensive language >.< The hell am I supposed to call it?

I uploaded it as "Cannals" (I guess the word "anal" in Canals was "bad" lol) so if anyone wants to search for it, thats it. It's the one made by Profile Signature: xI Ace xI

JBuccCP

Finished it a few minutes ago. TBH, I'm not even sure what the hell was going on for the last third of the game or so. The ending was pretty lame. No end game either, and I've been going with one save so now I'll have to start over. :/

Oh, and having to fight all your buddies, who thought it would be a good idea to give them five times the health of normal enemies? I tried like ten times and had to lower the difficulty to get through that part.

okay i played the game for around 2 hours, i guess i am still in the 'tutorial part'. but i really dont like what i see. everything looks so shiny, not realy plastic shiny (for example like ninja gaiden) but more like silver shiny, really hard to explain. humans and environment looks like that. is it because of the textures? stalker seemed to be more matt in colors for example. i guess i wont bother continue playing it, because that look really disturbs me. does anyone think the same? or am i just weird?:lol

oh and is it just me or do the weapons eject the shells at the wrong side? wth is that shit? Ò_ó

Top Bottom