• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Ledsen

Noooooooooooooo my savegames have started to freeze on load (360)... if I go a couple of saves back I can load but any new ones I make just FREEZE when the "loading" sign comes up. GOD DAMN I'm 23 hours into this game and now I have to quit.... fuck you UbiSoft! I even tried deleting all but 8 of my savegames (I had 30-40) but it made no difference, any new saves I make still freeze on load... god. fucking. damn it.

newsguy

FUUUUUCK. That's awful man, I hope there is some kind of solution for that. I would snap that disc if I was 23 hours in and this happened.

Ledsen

It seems a lot of people are having the same problem, I'm checking the Ubi forums right now. Basically saves I make will randomly corrupt and freeze on load. Some work, some don't. I can't play since I don't know when I'll have to replay a whole section, and as soon as I die I'm praying to god that "load latest save" will work. fuck this.

Pein

Banned
Choc said:
Is Far Cry 2 hard? what difficulty settings are there
easy, normal, hard and there might be a difficulty above hard I don't remember

you can switch difficulty at anytime in the game if you want, I'm playing it on normal and its not to tough

I had a scary moment last night where I could get into the APR headquarters but the room where you normally actually get the missions from had its door closed and no way to get in. To "fix" this I did a buddie mission and then returned to find myself able to get the APR mission.

Nikorasu

chespace said:
Also, the graphics being less sharp give everything a more organic/less plasticky look.

You bring great shame to your PC gaming brethren. Please relinquish your membership and 4870x2 card at the door.

burgerdog

Ledsen said:
Noooooooooooooo my savegames have started to freeze on load (360)... if I go a couple of saves back I can load but any new ones I make just FREEZE when the "loading" sign comes up. GOD DAMN I'm 23 hours into this game and now I have to quit.... fuck you UbiSoft! I even tried deleting all but 8 of my savegames (I had 30-40) but it made no difference, any new saves I make still freeze on load... god. fucking. damn it.

That's disgusting, I'm not touching FC2 for a while(haven't touched it since I got Fallout 3, anyway) and resume playing when this is fixed, or I have no games to play. Given that there's a ton of games to play right now, that might take a while :lol

Choc

Banned
Pein said:
easy, normal, hard and there might be a difficulty above hard I don't remember

you can switch difficulty at anytime in the game if you want, I'm playing it on normal and its not to tough

So when you get a mission if this is open world etc, does the game somewhat guide you to where you need to go? map etc?

because i'm just worried about frustrated getting lost etc

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Nikorasu said:
You bring great shame to your PC gaming brethren. Please relinquish your membership and 4870x2 card at the door.

Hahaha, maybe it's just the tactile feel of the controller, I dunno. I seem to be enjoying the combat more on 360, and gunplay is everything in this game.

I should try plugging in a 360 controller on my PC and see how that feels. Is there rumble for Vista?

Nikorasu

chespace said:
Hahaha, maybe it's just the tactile feel of the controller, I dunno. I seem to be enjoying the combat more on 360, and gunplay is everything in this game.

I should try plugging in a 360 controller on my PC and see how that feels. Is there rumble for Vista?

Depends if the game supports it. Pretty much all windows games post-vista have had it, so I'd imagine this does. It's pretty much a 360 port as it is. I even tried Crysis with a 360 pad and it's surprisingly playable.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you mean. There are games I like using a pad for too. I just wish someone would hurry up and make a rumblemouse. :(

EDIT: To add, I don't think there is any way I could tolerate a low resolution just to obscure any graphical deficiencies. ¬_¬ ....shaaaaaame....

ecierif

Choc said:
So when you get a mission if this is open world etc, does the game somewhat guide you to where you need to go? map etc?

When you have a mission, markers are placed on the map, and the areas where you receive the missions are visible on the map.

Also, I experienced freezing issues with the buses at times (PS3 version). Occasionally, I'd get off at one stop and change my mind and immediately get on a different one, but it would freeze while loading. I would leave the area (while viewing the smaller map, I'd drive to the next square kilometer) and next time it would work.

Choc said:

The map works great and shows you where everything is and where you need to go. You can even switch it to a closer view to your surrounding area from 5km2 and when you get closer to your objective a 1km2 view. If you can get over that your map is a physically held object and you can't use your guns when you have it out that is.

chespace said:

That's because the gunplay is kinda shitty.

Everything about the controls is gimped, movement is slow, floaty and unresponsive and the wonky aiming/shooting are all representative of it's console controller origin.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MickeyKnox said:
That's because the gunplay is kinda shitty.

Everything about the controls is gimped, movement is slow, floaty and unresponsive and the wonky aiming/shooting are all representative of it's console controller origin.

I agree with the fact that this game is basically a console game in PC clothing.

But the shooting does feel pretty good on consoles. With a controller. As that's what they tuned the gameplay for.

Feels like shit with a mouse and keyboard.

TTG

This game just went from good to fucking great now that I'm on to the second act. The missions are longer and better structured with good pacing. It's no longer a "go there and wipe that camp off the map then kill this guy or blow up that thing". Checkpoints are a non factor... the game looks fucking incredible. This is the best looking open world game I've seen, I can only imagine a Bethesda game with this quality of visuals.

The current weapon set I'm playing around with is the 50 cal sniper rifle + mortar + Mach10. The strategy is to shell their camp then pick them off with the sniper rifle as they run around in fear. :lol The mortar levels a huge area, the shockwave gets anyone close to the blast and it starts the biggest fires in the game. Then the 50 cal is a 1 shot kill or 2 kills if you can line them up.

The most lethal combo is still a paratrooper assault rifle + dart gun + granade launcher. With extra ammo for both the dart gun and the granade launcher you're pretty much unstoppable at any range against any opposition.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
chespace said:
Just bought this game on 360 for shits and giggles.

Looks pretty good!

EDIT: I know this makes no sense whatsoever, but I actually think FC2 looks and plays better on a 360 than a PC. It has something to do with how the locked framerate feels with the 360 controller (after you tune the sensitivity down a couple notches) and the vibration of the controller when you fire. Also, the graphics being less sharp give everything a more organic/less plasticky look. The gamma also seems much better at night time.
Yep. Locked framerate makes wonders.

So I saw that floating map in one of the trailers. How the hell do you go about doing something like that? I had imagined a map consisting of a bunch of floating platforms like the trailer map, only instead of bridges between them there'd be huge jumps you have to make with a vehicle of some sort. But I can't figure out how to delete terrain, or add terrain on top of something or whatever.

Also I'm gonna go see if you can add zebras to maps now. If not, that needs to be patched in. It needs to be realistic.

newsguy

VibratingDonkey said:
So I saw that floating map in one of the trailers.

Use dark matter to get it to float. A good idea is to make the bridges between the platforms out of dissolve and set a switch to dissolve them as a Sackboy tries to make his way across.

bee

never really had a problem with floaty/unresponsive mouse myself, you've all tried playing in both dx9 and dx10 to see if that cures it? dx10 was fucked for me. you've got vsync enabled? that causes input lag, triple buffering causes mega input lag

nyong

Banned
Well, I bought the game (PS3) after reading this thread. I have to say that I'm not that impressed so far, though.

The patrol jeeps are highly annoying and seem to appear out of thin air. The AI takes a few too many bullets (on normal) before dropping. Even worse, if the baddies are behind cover, like a tree branch, they can hit me but I can't hit them with my 50cal mounted machine gun. Pretty darned frustrating. And I can see the malaria thing getting extremely annoying.

On the upside, the graphics are freaking stellar. One of the best looking console games this gen. The missions are fairly fun and I'm a big fan of the buddy system.

If I had to rate the game based on what I've seen so far it would be somewhere between a 7 and an 8. Hopefully it picks up and the missions get more fun with bigger weapons. I am looking forward to mortars.

Mr.City

chespace said:
I agree with the fact that this game is basically a console game in PC clothing.

But the shooting does feel pretty good on consoles. With a controller. As that's what they tuned the gameplay for.

Feels like shit with a mouse and keyboard.

That's disappointing to hear.

ezekial45

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
You guys make any cool levels yet?

That reminds me there was this map in that map editor video that ubi released that looked like a large cave. Has anyone seen anything like that in the map community?

ezekial45 said:
That reminds me there was this map in that map editor video that ubi released that looked like a large cave. Has anyone seen anything like that in the map community?
No, but maybe I'll try making one. Would be pretty cool. I've so far made a junkyard level that is ok, and right now I'm almost done a map with a bunch of rooms connected by pipes. You don't get to see outside at all.

Whenever I host games with my maps no one joins. :(

madmook

VaLiancY said:
Can you use the regular 360 wireless controller through the play and charge kit or do I need that dongle?
You mean for pc, right? You need the adapter. The play&charge cable only provides power, not a connection.

VaLiancY

madmook said:
You mean for pc, right? You need the adapter. The play&charge cable only provides power, not a connection.

Thanks, I'll look one up for cheap since Metal Slug on the keyboard is a bitch.

dk_

chespace said:
Just bought this game on 360 for shits and giggles.

Looks pretty good!

EDIT: I know this makes no sense whatsoever, but I actually think FC2 looks and plays better on a 360 than a PC. It has something to do with how the locked framerate feels with the 360 controller (after you tune the sensitivity down a couple notches) and the vibration of the controller when you fire. Also, the graphics being less sharp give everything a more organic/less plasticky look. The gamma also seems much better at night time.
Che has spoken. :lol

I didn't play the PC version, but the combat feels pretty good on 360, I agree.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I really wasn't expecting this game to be this fun. Planning a stealth hit on a base at night with a sniper rifle is so great. Picking off someone and watching them all run out to try and save him and just drop while setting a fire on the other side of it is just too damn good.

but those fucking stealth jeeps are scary

Cronen

Ledsen said:

This JUST happened to me. I'm so pissed off! 20 hours in, around 65% and it freezes when trying to load my save. I have a previous save at like 20-30% which I made by acccident, but like fuck am I going to go back and start from then.

Fuck Sake.

chespace said:

I can understand this, to me there is something a little strange about the way this game controls on pc...definitely feels like it was built around console control system... Also, I dont find that much difference in the graphics between ultra high and high, so maybe the console versions hold up pretty decently

Ledsen

Cronen said:
This JUST happened to me. I'm so pissed off! 20 hours in, around 65% and it freezes when trying to load my save. I have a previous save at like 20-30% which I made by acccident, but like fuck am I going to go back and start from then.

Fuck Sake.

It's happening to a lot of people sometime after the 50% mark.

DON'T BUY THIS GAME UNTIL IT'S PATCHED PEOPLE. IT'S BROKEN AND CAN STOP WORKING AT ANY TIME

PoS game. You only having two saves shows that it has nothing to do with the amount of saves you have (which was a possibility). It can happen to ANYONE, ANYTIME. And once it does, chances are almost all saves you make after that will corrupt.

Zzoram said:
So PC version with 360 pad = best?

I don't think so at all

Believe me ....I did try it outta curiousity and aiming felt like utter poo poo with the 360 analogs ...especially coming off something like the R2 beta

Trust me, Far Cry 2 STARTED AS A PC GAME and it still feels like it ....the combat is great I think

If anything, parts of Fallout 3 control better with a 360 pad ....most certainly how movement is handled

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zzoram said:
So PC version with 360 pad = best?
I dunno, there are virtually no options to adjust the 360 pad on the PC and I thought the aiming felt a bit "off". Also, if you enjoy rumble, it is absent on the PC.

Furthermore, the framerates in FC2 on the PC seem really...odd. I've checked it out on a few different machines just for kicks (a couple friends bought it and I tried it on the PC that I built for someone else). In all cases there was this odd skipping that would occur throughout gameplay regardless of what the framerate was set to (reminds me of Halo 3 in this regard, though a bit worse). This feels especially janky when using a pad. I'm just not impressed with the PC version at all. It's not a PC port that I would recommend, to be honest. The 360 version feels better from what I've tried (though it seems to have its own issues in other areas). Disappointing.

In comparison, Fallout 3 is an absolute joy on the PC with perfect 360 pad support and flawless 60 fps visuals at higher details.

Top Bottom