• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Sectus

MickeyKnox said:
It's a combination of the bad shooting trifecta:

Arbitrarily innacurate gun + bullet sponge enemies + wonky mouse aiming (as a result of poor thumbstick porting)

Each of these individually is not an extreme problem, but when they come together like this it's really annoying. Not to mention the AI, whose shooting does not suffer from these problems.

This doesn't make the game unplayable by any means, at least head shots are as effective as they should be, but it's more like these problems along with a host of other design issues hold this game back from becoming a truly amazing experience.
Thumbstick porting? I thought the game had PC as the primary target platform (it was initially a PC-exclusive title).

Actually, when playing the 360 version, it feels like a PC port for me. The aiming is not as smooth as something like Call of Duty 4.

Zzoram

Sectus said:
Thumbstick porting? I thought the game had PC as the primary target platform (it was initially a PC-exclusive title).

Actually, when playing the 360 version, it feels like a PC port for me. The aiming is not as smooth as something like Call of Duty 4.

So they managed to break the aiming in both versions? :lol

Sectus

Well, I wouldn't call it broken. It works completely fine (I even turned off autoaiming and I've still got no problems with it), it just isn't as good as something like Call of Duty 4 which feels like it has just the right acceleration for the thumbstick.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sectus said:

:lol

Interesting.

All I want is my mouse to aim right, why is this so hard :(

Ledsen

Zzoram said:
So they managed to break the aiming in both versions? :lol

I think the aiming in the 360 version is great. Not as good as CoD4, but then again that game has the best controls in any console fps ever. It works fine, and it's miles ahead of crap like the Darkness, where I probably wouldn't be able to shoot my way out of a paper bag without auto aim set to full.

360 aiming is fine since i turned off auto-aim. It was so janky. Totally smacked of an afterthought for the console versions. Only good it did was show me where someone was hiding, it was useless as far as shooting.

JSnake

Anyone ever had one of their weapons explode in their hands during combat? Mine did as I was fending myself off in a guard post and I got stuck with some crap SMG that has insane recoil. Almost didn't make it out.

The only aiming thing that drives me nuts is a bug in the turret controls. If you are driving and then hit A to move into turret position and immediately start rotating the turret before you are in position the turret rotates at 25-50% speed. Letting go of the stick for a moment and then moving again will return the turret to its top rotation speed. The bug has almost gotten me killed a few times.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Hazaro said:
:lol

Interesting.

All I want is my mouse to aim right, why is this so hard :(

I don't get what all the complaints about aiming is on the PC.

It moves precisely when I mouse my mouse. What's this issue with "floatiness" ?

Zzoram

chespace said:
I don't get what all the complaints about aiming is on the PC.

It moves precisely when I mouse my mouse. What's this issue with "floatiness" ?

Floatiness occurs in the menu really awful. It isn't really a big deal in-game.

chespace

Hazaro said:
Menu is god awful, in-game it still feels off.

Feels off... like lag?

I felt this when I switched to single core by turning off Catalyst AI -- a bit of lag in the mouse movement.

But I get zero aim lag normally.

I think the recoil in this game is really unforgiving (i.e. realistic), which is strangely at odds with how much damage enemies can take (i.e. arcadey). Then you add to the fact that enemies do not really react significantly (they do react) to getting shot until they've passed the "death threshold" makes the gunplay feel less satisfying than Crysis and COD4.

But it isn't that bad and I still find the gunplay very fun and rewarding once you upgrade weapons or buy better ones. I was even having pretty good success with the G3 AR (the first AR you start the game with). The trick is to fire 1-3 round bursts, repeatedly, and with great success. My main close quarters gun right now is the PKM machine gun which has mad recoil on full auto. I just squeeze off little 3 round bursts and find the weapon very accurate at close to mid range.

bee

mouse is perfect for me in dx9, in dx10 its an accel/jerky horror show, good job i don't give a fuck about dx10 really

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The FOV fix doesn't work on my system, it instantly drops me to the desktop like the game was never even launched. Looks like some others having the issue on the fov-fix forum, but so far no resolution.

I'm using Steam, Vista x64, is anyone else running it thusly and able to use the FOV fix?

Scotch

I played this game today for 4 hours and I really want to like it, but I can't stand it. It's like GTA in Africa, except driving around for missions in GTA is fun, while driving around in Far Cry 2 is the most frustrating thing ever.

I keep thinking that I just need to get some more diamonds to get some new weapons and then the game will suddenly be great, but then I do a mission and the piece of shit wants me to go the other side of the map, and of course the bus stops are all in the middle of the fucking desert. And so begins another journey past dozens of military checkpoints and patrol jeeps, getting out, shooting guys in the face, fixing engine, again and again.

I would be fine with it if the gunplay was the best thing ever, or if the missions were super awesome, but they're not.

Nikorasu

chespace said:
Feels off... like lag?

I felt this when I switched to single core by turning off Catalyst AI -- a bit of lag in the mouse movement.

But I get zero aim lag normally.

Nah, the mouse control in this game is definitely off. I won't say 'floaty' because that doesn't mean anything. It's just slightly inaccurate, like turning mouse acceleration on in windows. Its not terrible, I got used to it pretty quick, but going to play something like HL2 or Crysis you notice a big difference in pixel accurate responsiveness. Even CoD4, which was essentially a console port as well, has perfect mouse controls.

Bioshock has the same issue. It seems games with thumbstick-esque acceleration become utterly unplayable at low framerates. I could play Crysis just fine, even when the framerates were in the teens. Before I upgraded my video card Bioshock ran below 30 fps and was an unplayable mess. I couldn't aim for peanuts. Only after I upgraded could I go back and finish the game without difficulty.

chespace

Diseased Yak said:
The FOV fix doesn't work on my system, it instantly drops me to the desktop like the game was never even launched. Looks like some others having the issue on the fov-fix forum, but so far no resolution.

I'm using Steam, Vista x64, is anyone else running it thusly and able to use the FOV fix?

I'm using Steam, Vista x64, and the FOV fix works perfectly.

Are you launching the fix before you launch the game?

AFAIK, you can even launch the game first, then alt-tab out and launch the FOV fix, then go back in the game and hit * to "activate" the FOV.

RE: Mouse controls. Ahh, you guys might be right. When I ran the game with Catalyst AI turned off and was getting 25-30 fps, I was noticing a pretty annoying lag in my mouse controls. Looks like it's what you described. Yuck. I don't have this problem normally since the game runs at 55-60 most of the time and will only dip as low as 45 in severe cases.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
chespace said:

AFAIK, you can even launch the game first, then alt-tab out and launch the FOV fix, then go back in the game and hit * to "activate" the FOV.

RE: Mouse controls. Ahh, you guys might be right. When I ran the game with Catalyst AI turned off and was getting 25-30 fps, I was noticing a pretty annoying lag in my mouse controls. Looks like it's what you described. Yuck. I don't have this problem normally since the game runs at 55-60 most of the time and will only dip as low as 45 in severe cases.

I'm not sure what to say, it's just "off".

I'll lower some settings and to boost my FPS, but I doubt that will fix it.

chespace

Hazaro said:
I'm not sure what to say, it's just "off".

I'll lower some settings and to boost my FPS, but I doubt that will fix it.

Yeah, try that. Lower it to medium and try to boost your fps up to 50+ and see if that fixes it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
bee said:
mouse is perfect for me in dx9, in dx10 its an accel/jerky horror show, good job i don't give a fuck about dx10 really
It's weird, I seem to be getting slightly higher FPS in DX10 mode as the mouse movement is much smoother and whatnot. Really weird.

VaLiancY

I broke down and bought it. I don't regret it really, I get like 20 frames but the enjoyment is still there.

And Ubisoft, try to make some more feminine faces in the game.
The 2nd buddy I met with, I thought was a dude who likes a little a mid drift in his clothing

Ledsen

My day in Africa:

First of all: Stealth does work! Using the Dart Gun at night, I did maybe 3 missions and cleared out 5+ safe houses and guard posts without beeing seen once, except for those rare times when I decided to go in with my Paratrooper for the last kill :D So great sneaking around for more than an hour without having to use a single syrette, I felt like some kind of African super-ninja man.

Also, right after all this sneaking awesomeness, I decided to take on another convoy mission. So I went to the place, noticed that the convoy circled using this long road that took them 2-3 minutes to get around, with a couple of guard posts along the road. First I thought "Okay, I'll ambush them from the side of the road, maybe take out the front driver with a dart." Then I took out my binoculars, checked the nearby guard post and decided to be at least a little more creative. While looking at my map to make sure the convoy was a couple of minutes away, I started sniping out the post. This went without a hitch, and I entered thinking "I wonder if the convoy guys will like my surprise". So I parked two jeeps at the entrance to the base, blocking the whole road. Then I sat down in the tall gras and waited. Seconds later the convoy appeared, and I almost started giggling as they were forced to stop and the two men in the front jeep walked out to check things out. They were only 4-5 meters away. I stood up. "Catch this, boys!". I chucked my entire supply of Molotovs and grenades at the convoy starting with the front guys who started screaming the second I had stood. The whole place went up in flames and 5 vehicles (the convoy and the ones I'd parked) exploded with huge bangs as I ran away to avoid getting hit by falling jeeps. I jumped up on a nearby rocky hill to admire my handiwork. Bodies everywhere, scrap metal, crackling flames engulfing the savannah. FUCK YEAH!

Scotch said:
I keep thinking that I just need to get some more diamonds to get some new weapons and then the game will suddenly be great, but then I do a mission and the piece of shit wants me to go the other side of the map, and of course the bus stops are all in the middle of the fucking desert. And so begins another journey past dozens of military checkpoints and patrol jeeps, getting out, shooting guys in the face, fixing engine, again and again.

You do know that there's a bus stop in the middle of the map, in Pala, right?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
chespace said:

Yep, launching the FOV fix first, firing up the game, then hitting * to activate it, drops me straight to the desktop. The game doesn't even crash, it just disappears. I'll keep checking widescreengaming forum's for suggestions. So far nothing is making it work.

TTG

Some cool things I've noticed the guards do:

-shoot a flare to call for reinforcements at night

-they like to fish

-at night they'll just be sleeping in the grass instead of patrolling

okrim

Banned
Well I have just played far cry 2 on ps3 and after to have read more complain about texture etc etc I'm the first to appreciate the goodness of the graphics, really, awesome...but just one thing I can't suffer and I'm surprise nobody mention that...how texture? tearing; tearing everywhere...beautiful engine but what's going on to vsync in this game? Christ...I hate so much tearing in a game ...

Lince

Banned
this is rapidly becoming one of my fav FPS ever, nice atmosphere, fun physics, lots of weapons and the sunset in Africa, Toto would be proud... I hear the drums echoing tonight...

madmook

okrim said:
I'm surprise nobody mention that...how texture? tearing; tearing everywhere...beautiful engine but what's going on to vsync in this game? Christ...I hate so much tearing in a game ...
LOL look up a post I made earlier in this thread when I first got the PS3 version. I actively warned about the screen tearing. Good thing tearing doesn't bother me in the least, in any game. I mean, if there's very little tearing or if vsync's on, great. But even extreme tearing doesn't phase me at all.

hooligan

I had this mouse problem. Initially I thought I was just drunk, but in fact, you need to turn OFF "mouse smoothing" and crank up the sensitivity almost to max. Works great for me now.

okrim

Banned
madmook said:
LOL look up a post I made earlier in this thread when I first got the PS3 version. I actively warned about the screen tearing. Good thing tearing doesn't bother me in the least, in any game. I mean, if there's very little tearing or if vsync's on, great. But even extreme tearing doesn't phase me at all.
But 360 too? on gamershyde video it seems same problem.

You know for all the stuff I've complained about I still was pissed when my graphics card started acting strange earlier today (got overheated due to dust ^^) cause I wanted to play some more.

The good parts are drawing me back to the game at least. And need to finish it before I buy Fallout and RA.

madmook

okrim said:
But 360 too? on gamershyde video it seems same problem.
I've not played or seen the 360 version live, but I'm assuming it has a smoother framerate overall and consequently less tearing than the PS3 version (going by Ubi's previous efforts with multiplat games). Anyways, I can only speak for the PS3 console version, so I tried to make people aware of the tearing.

User2k

Well, Farcry just went on my backlog. 10 hours in, and the game crashes while I save. I try to load my file, and BAM corrupted. I'm not starting that shit over the day before Fallout 3 comes out. Pisses me off like a motherfucker, reminds me of that stupid Gears of War PC save shit. Ugh. I'll be keeping multiple save files from now on.

JSnake said:
WARREN, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Why did you have to go? I loved you, you cocky bastard. :'(
I blew Warren up on the last mission with the petro tankers. I said...

"Ah fuck it... he needs to die for thinking I'm cutting him out of any shit I'm in...."

*Grenade pin*

*tink tink......*

*Explosions ensue*---- Warren dead. Smile on my face. :D :lol

Stitch

Gold Member
the hit detection is totally strange. you shoot them in the leg, they die. you shoot them in the chest, they start limping.
it's also funny how they jump up when they die.

JSnake said:
Your link failed. >_>

Works for me ......rehosting......

Marty.jpg

jeez..

Top Bottom