• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

I loved everything about this game... except the ending. Personally I think the game should have finished at the point where you meet
the jackal at the prison. The bit where he's standing there just waiting for you.
Everything after that point ran contrary to the whole premise of the game, and the ending was terrible and anti-climactic.

Also they should have given you the ability to replay the singe player game with the weapons (and safe house upgrades) that you had previously unlocked and purchased.

Ultimately though I loved the free-roaming gameplay, the excellent weapons and great firefights, and the respawning checkpoints didn't bother me at all.

Finally just finished the game tonight on PS3 and I have no idea why. I have no idea why I kept playing it. I have no idea why all of their games feel like this lately. I have no idea how enemies can see/hear me crouching in tall grass from a half mile away at night while facing the other direction in a truck. Why was there no song during the credits? Was that supposed to increase the dramatic effect of what happens in the end?? It didn't work. Sure it doesn't actually matter but it just made the game feel that much more unfinished which was the very last thing I took away from it all! lol

Amazing environments (yet this one is amazingly alive AND lifeless all at the same time). Agonizing, stale, monotonous, game structure and pacing. Finished it for a few trophies I guess? I may never know! Oh well. It's off my plate. Onto something that makes a little more sense.

endlessflood said:
I loved everything about this game... except the ending. Personally I think the game should have finished at the point where you meet
the jackal at the prison. The bit where he's standing there just waiting for you.
Everything after that point ran contrary to the whole premise of the game, and the ending was terrible and anti-climactic.

Also they should have given you the ability to replay the singe player game with the weapons (and safe house upgrades) that you had previously unlocked and purchased.

Ultimately though I loved the free-roaming gameplay, the excellent weapons and great firefights, and the respawning checkpoints didn't bother me at all.

completely agreed!

despite all the problems the game had i really enjoyed it... until the ending. at that point i really wondered why i had wasted the 10 odd or so hours with this game that i did.

why does everyone want to shoot me? why can't i have SOME friends? the whole "hey you're an undercover merc no one knows you and they'll shoot at you" thing got old after the 20th mission. at that point i really just want to be able to drive through a checkpoint with being shot at.

why does my car degrade in quality so fast? yea i know the game is going for realism... in some aspects... but honestly (and this is related to the above) since i'm getting shot at all the time from every angle and every checkpoint, having to blow up the bad guys and then repair my car again got old after the 50th time.

how can someone see me in tall grass from 50 feet way in the complete darkness in a jungle?

i've forgotten most of my irks with this game (i finished and put it away about a month ago) but if i popped it in for 5 seconds they'd all come back to me.

great idea, great presentation, sub par execution.

Is there a post mortem available for this game yet? I'm dying to hear what in Satan's name went wrong with the VA. Not so much the acting, but the way it was mixed. Sentencesjustsortofrantogether intothispanickyunnaturalmush andendedabruptly.

Raide

Sorry for the bump but an update for 360 owners of Far Cry 2.

Today we are pleased to announce the release of a Farcry 2 title update for Xbox 360.

This patch will include a lot of improvements for both single player and multiplayer modes; with better browsing features, more multiplayer game options, and other new additions in order to let you play the game, the way you want. Information on a similar update for PS3 and PC will be announced soon. Here is a list of the fixes and additions:

Single Player
Fix some random crash occurring during specific Malaria attacks
Fix health damage not following the difficulty level when switching difficulty during player’s walkthrough
Fix some camera issue when using a mortar near a rock
Reduce significantly the probability of having a corrupted save game*

Multiplayer
Add Respawning time in Host - Advanced options - player match
Add Starting rank in Host - Advanced options - player match
Add min players in the host option
Add deaths in scoreboard
Balance current damage model
Show VIP on Scoreboard (for your team only)
Players can stay on the same host for consecutive matches in Ranked match
Add a Quick match button when selecting a map in the Map community
Fix vehicles spawning on their initial position immediately after being destroyed by an explosion
Fix client being disconnected from the host randomly and not being able to see it after that
Fix death message does not appear randomly
Fix some issues when interacting with objects
Fix bandolier doesn’t always unlock extra ammo
Fix some bug when healing another player and getting wounded at the same time
Fix diamond gain in rank mode
Fix players don’t get a request to keep a map after playing on a IGE map
DLC Fix some issues when using the crossbow

Extra features
Add a “hardcore mode” that will provide a new damage model where all weapons do much more damage to increase realism.
Add the possibility to play Rank matches on a selection of user maps**

Many of the new features were requested by members of the community and we would like to thanks everyone for taking the time to communicate with us, we hope you will enjoy the improvements.

* We are very aware of the problems some people have been experiencing and have been doing everything within our powers to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. We found out during our testing that several elements could cause an issue with the same consequences and therefore prevent certain players to finish the game. We have been able to provide solutions that prevent those corruption problems in most cases and we haven’t encountered any problems now. We apologize wholeheartedly for the inconvenience that this matter has caused to some owners of the game.
** In answer to a growing demand we have developed a tool that enable us to mark user’s created maps as ranked. You should already find a selection of those maps thanks to some of our active community members.

Dabanton

Mindlog said:
What's with Ubisoft this gen?

Brilliant concept.
Stunning Visuals

middling gameplay execution

I'm looking at Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia and now Far Cry 2. All games I'm on the verge of really really enjoying, but every so often another bug/flaw slaps me awake.

Are there any good mods out for the game so I can buy it on PC? With a few tweaks this can be one of my favorite games in a long time. For now it's yet another Ubisoft game where I'm thinking to myself, "This could have been so much better."

Yeah i might double dip if their are some good PC mods i would love a mod that

*Takes away the ability of the AI enemies to pinpoint exactly where you are once you fire a gun even if i use a sniper rifle from quite a distance away and move right away they 'know' where i'am. I want them to be smart but i also want to be able to flank them without them having superhuman sight and an aim that never misses.

*Checkpoints should remain empty for longer

*Enemies randomly attacking you even if you haven't attacked them when you drive past checkpoints which gets beyond annoying, now if they did something like you have to stop your car while they yay or nay you like at the beginning of the game in the cab, that would be good as if they tell you no entry you can try and sneak around them

Even just fixing those small things would make the game much more enjoyable.

Honestly, for the most part, I never had a problem with the AI. I would go in quietly through a brush and use the silenced pistol on them. Never alerted anyone. Other times, I would take out the dart rifle and the enemies would be alerted. It really annoyed me.

Still the most beautiful (3D) game I've played this generation. I just get sucked into the atmosphere.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I want to be able to save anywhere in the 360 version like the PC one so I can get back to the game. I hate those savehuts.

Poor game is sitting there with Fable II

The only game that I have traded in this generation that I have wanted back a few scant weeks later.

I mean, yes, I finished it (and got 40+ hours out of it), but I should have realised the itch would return.

Ledsen

Dabanton said:
Yeah i might double dip if their are some good PC mods i would love a mod that

*Takes away the ability of the AI enemies to pinpoint exactly where you are once you fire a gun even if i use a sniper rifle from quite a distance away and move right away they 'know' where i'am. I want them to be smart but i also want to be able to flank them without them having superhuman sight and an aim that never misses.

*Checkpoints should remain empty for longer

*Enemies randomly attacking you even if you haven't attacked them when you drive past checkpoints which gets beyond annoying, now if they did something like you have to stop your car while they yay or nay you like at the beginning of the game in the cab, that would be good as if they tell you no entry you can try and sneak around them

Even just fixing those small things would make the game much more enjoyable.

Yeah. Is it really super hard making the enemy zoom in on the position of your latest shot, and then not see you again when you move unless you

a) are close enough that they should logicaly be able to see you or
b) fire again

?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I wanted to like that game but I was so pissed off, when I leave the safehouse enjoying the good graphics and atmosphere. I drive a lot to got to a mission and after 45 min of game BAM I loose and everything is loss :(. that's why this game needs more checkpoints or save wherever

AltogetherAndrews said:
Is there a post mortem available for this game yet? I'm dying to hear what in Satan's name went wrong with the VA. Not so much the acting, but the way it was mixed. Sentencesjustsortofrantogether intothispanickyunnaturalmush andendedabruptly.

It was just to get through all the dialouge as fast as possible and make the game feel as though there is notimetotalk.

I really want to get back into this game even though I finished it but I still have leftovers from last November to crack the wrapper on. The patch is encouraging.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
dgenx said:
I want to be able to save anywhere in the 360 version like the PC one so I can get back to the game. I hate those savehuts.

Poor game is sitting there with Fable II

They really should patch this motherfucker to enable that feature. I played this game 1 day for like 7 hours and loved it but thinking about the god damn safehouses keeps me from playing it.

I mean it's pointless to drive you might as well walk so you dont get attacked every 30 seconds.

Nizz

Guy Legend said:
Nice, hopefully this patch hits the PS3 version soon. I was getting ready to continue playing it anyways.
Same. I finished the game, then I started over with another character. But I'm at a mission where I'm supposed to rescue someone.

I clear out the area, but when I go into the hut where the character is at, he doesn't respond. He just stares at me, nothing gets triggered.

I even walked out and walked around to see if maybe there was a person I forgot to take out. No luck. Beautiful looking game, though. Pretty fun. Just frustrating that the game shipped pretty buggy...

Tokubetsu

Am I constantly going to be attacked while driving to objects in the world? (PC version). I just started the game and already this is pissing me off.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Tokubetsu said:
Am I constantly going to be attacked while driving to objects in the world? (PC version). I just started the game and already this is pissing me off.

Just walk the ridiculously long distances, it's tedious but better than driving.

Yes it's that bad.

Stitch

Gold Member
Tokubetsu said:
yes. and if you go back to the place where the game started you will get attacked too :lol

Malvolio

Tokubetsu said:

Yes. This is why I choose to play this game in spurts. I feel like an explorer in a thick ass jungle. I use my machete to clear a path only to turn around and watch it grow into a wall of vines only a moment later. Luckily, I like the game enough to just put it on the shelf for a week and come back later when my machete arm isn't all weak and gimpy.

Dabanton

Just reading all these responses how in the hell did Ubisoft fuck this game up? Such stupid things prevent it from being a classic game.

I'd forgotten the fact that everyone in the game talks at double speed,which instead of adding urgency to the game makes it comedic,as in the launch trailer they are talking at normal speed.

Oh Ubi.:lol

lets hope they have learned their lessons with AC2 and Splinter Cell:Conviction...

I love this game.

I don't know what it is, but I think it has something to do with the lack of HUD and the map being totally in-game and the reloading/first-aid/repair animations. It's really immersive. Playing on PC I can save anywhere, so that cuts down on a lot of potential annoyances, too.

I just love the setting, the fire, the wildlife (when you encounter it), and the jeeps with gun mounts. I like diamond hunting and all that shit. Far Cry 2 just strikes the right chord for me. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase, only about 10 hours in, playing for a couple of hours a week. Maybe it's the fact that I picked it up for $15 on Steam. Regardless of why, it's my go-to FPS for the time being.

adamma666

I just installed the update and guess what? My savegames are still not working. Thank you UBI, thanks for nothing. what took you so damn long to fix nothing? I want my money back...

Raide

adamma666 said:
I just installed the update and guess what? My savegames are still not working. Thank you UBI, thanks for nothing. what took you so damn long to fix nothing? I want my money back...

It is possible that save files that have become corrupted won't be instantly fixed, it may require you to start again and the save files should be corruption free.

Ledsen

Raide said:
It is possible that save files that have become corrupted won't be instantly fixed, it may require you to start again and the save files should be corruption free.

Of course they can't fix already corrupted save files, all they're doing in the patch is making sure more of your saves won't be corrupted.

RPS37

If they fixed the savegame glitch on 360, I'll probably go pick this up when I can find it for less than 30 bucks.
I loved it until my save file stopped loading, then I put it right back in the mailbox for Gamefly.

Bliddo

"Reduce significantly the probability of having a corrupted save game*"

Reduce probability? wtf, 6 months and they didn't completely fix that?

nice, I have been looking at my 360 copy sitting next to my other games, waiting for the day I can actually you know FINISH a game I paid $60 last year for :lol

Dabanton

LM4sure said:
Just loaded up the PS3 version, and the update is available!

Damn, people still talk fast as ever. lame

It's an outrage that they didn't even give us the option of switching the chat back to a normal speed.

Raide

As posted above.

Update: PS3 version should be available for all regions now. The Patch Notes are the same as the 360 version. I will update as soon as I hear about the PC version.

Truant

YES.

Finally finished this.

Really liked the final hours of the game,
killing off the leaders, etc.
I love this game.

Loudninja

Raide said:
As posted above.

Update: PS3 version should be available for all regions now. The Patch Notes are the same as the 360 version. I will update as soon as I hear about the PC version.

Damn I did not know thanks man.

Edit::come on Truant spoilers!

AppleBlade

Just started playing this today. From what I'm reading in this thread, the game appears to have some annoyances. I might just plow through the main story and ignore all of the side stuff. From people that have played it, do you think that is a good or bad idea? If I do any of the side stuff what do you guys recommend?

Sonos

Banned
MrVargas said:
Just started playing this today. From what I'm reading in this thread, the game appears to have some annoyances. I might just plow through the main story and ignore all of the side stuff. From people that have played it, do you think that is a good or bad idea? If I do any of the side stuff what do you guys recommend?

I put about 70 hours into the campaign and then started into Infamous (Hard) mode before I got sidetracked a bit.

I'd suggest only doing as much side stuff as it takes to have a good time. For my part, I got really immersed in the game. I played it more like a roleplaying game where I was played in the movie Blood Diamond. The side missions never became tedious for me as I wanted to go further and further down the river of darkness.

My favorite multiplat of last year I hope you enjoy it. :D

I still play online its very Rainbow-ey but with more fire. Which I like.

AppleBlade

Some early impressions. I am liking it more then I thought I would after reading this thread. I decided to play the game on Easy so I wouldn't get as annoyed by some of the critiques you guys have (respawning enemies, ineffective stealth, etc.). I love the atmosphere and graphics. I love that there is no Hud and that the map is in-game. The driving mechanics are solid. The story and the characters are too robotic for my taste thus far. I hope to complete this game in the next couple of days and it will be the last game I beat before I go back to work (I am a High School Teacher) so hopefully I ending up being one of the guys that likes it.

Sonos

Banned
MrVargas said:
Some early impressions. I am liking it more then I thought I would after reading this thread. I decided to play the game on Easy so I wouldn't get as annoyed by some of the critiques you guys have (respawning enemies, ineffective stealth, etc.). I love the atmosphere and graphics. I love that there is no Hud and that the map is in-game. The driving mechanics are solid. The story and the characters are too robotic for my taste thus far. I hope to complete this game in the next couple of days and it will be the last game I beat before I go back to work (I am a High School Teacher) so hopefully I ending up being one of the guys that likes it.

I'll say this. The game starts out somewhat hard on normal but after you pick up a few weapons you become an unstoppable killing machine. I would restart on normal for reals before you get to far.

Glitches I found were mainly achievement based. I didnt get to listen to the last two tapes (you'll see they are my favorite part of the story) and some of the cheeves didnt unlock on the 360 version after i switched maps. Just achievement points so I didnt sweat it. Keep at least 3 saves is my advice in case of nasty glitches.

easy mode ftl though for real I dont have to read the thread to know thats a mistake. The game is difficult at the beginning on purpose. You are a merc with nothing. No money, no weapons, you have a disease...part of story you'll see.

embrace the evil. some parts will make you feel odd. like, should i be doing this odd. did for me.

AppleBlade

Wow, that honeymoon period was over quick. I restarted on Normal and played all day today and have really lost my desire to keep on playing past this point. If they would've just let me save anywhere (I'm playing the PS3 version) it would have done a lot to lessen the impact of the other issues (long travel distances, regenerating enemies).

Anyways, I'm not giving up on it, but I can't see myself throwing 20 hours straight into this game. I'll leave it on my shelf as one of those games I play in spurts that I will finish on one boring Saturday months from now.

I think this game could've been close to perfect if the the story was more engrossing; alongside the NPCs, too.

As far as the missions goes, you really could enter a mission any way you wanted to. Problem is, if you wanted to go in quietly, you would alert the guards. That's the main fault with FC2. If the AI wasn't broken, finishing missions would be so damn fun and satisfying.

firex

I got the PC version of this for like $3 when Newegg was clearing out some pack-in versions months ago, and just started it about a month ago and it's pretty fun for me. but the PC version is better just because you can save anywhere. I actually enjoy lots of the missions and the exploring, and normally I hate open world games. I don't even mind the respawning guys but that's just because on Normal they are a joke to kill and it's a lot of fun to do shit like run them over with a car, then jump out and torch the entire camp with molotovs/blow everything up with grenades. I haven't bothered with stealth at all but there are some stealth weapons that are good. Silenced pistol and the dart rifle at least are effective at their job, but I hate the magical "you killed someone in a ceasefire zone, time to escape guards" crap even if you get a completely silent kill.

Coming back to this game eight months later, I've decided I really like it in spite of its flaws. I think that says a lot because some of the flaws are really fucking annoying, and I won't argue with people that they broke the game for. It definitely didn't deserve as much hate as it got, but it did deserve a good amount.

I think someone on the 1up Show put it best-- "Rarely has a game done so much right and so much wrong."

Top Bottom