• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

KingKong

I think I realized that I just really really like shooters and this is just a really fun shooter. It's not anything more than that but that's enough

Played a good few hours on this today, it's been done really nicely and anyone who grew up with 80's films will love the style of it.

I am interested in playing Far Cry 3 based on this, is the game style and structure pretty much the same?

I do think that you should be able to save mid-mission though, it's ridiculous that you can't.

Megasoum

Banned
Played a good few hours on this today, it's been done really nicely and anyone who grew up with 80's films will love the style of it.

I am interested in playing Far Cry 3 based on this, is the game style and structure pretty much the same?

I do think that you should be able to save mid-mission though, it's ridiculous that you can't.

The setting is obviously completly different but other than that it's very similar. Same gameplay mechanics but wth a lot more stuff to do and lots more options. You have crafting and more upgrades. You also have actual hunting to do (other than the missions you find in the outposts) to get mats to craft upgrades etc... Oh you also get a parachute and wingsuit (at some point) which is great for mobility.

It was my GOTY 2012 and was fucking amazing.

The setting is obviously completly different but other than that it's very similar. Same gameplay mechanics but wth a lot more stuff to do and lots more options. You have crafting and more upgrades. You also have actual hunting to do (other than the missions you find in the outposts) to get mats to craft upgrades etc... Oh you also get a parachute and wingsuit (at some point) which is great for mobility.

It was my GOTY 2012 and was fucking amazing.

Cheers, might pick it up then, really enjoying the missions and gunplay of Blood Dragon. So, is Farcry 3 big? Like, Fallout 3 big? Story and side quests and exploration etc, not just game world size.

Megasoum

Banned
Cheers, might pick it up then, really enjoying the missions and gunplay of Blood Dragon. So, is Farcry 3 big? Like, Fallout 3 big? Story and side quests and exploration etc, not just game world size.

Well it's not a huge RPG like Fallout but I think it took me over 40h to 100% it? I can't remember the number exactly but it was at least over 40. That include all the missions and all the collectibles (there's a TON of them).

Teknoman

I think I realized that I just really really like shooters and this is just a really fun shooter. It's not anything more than that but that's enough

I've missed fun shooters like this. Last I played was Bulletstorm, where you didnt really have to worry too much, just have fun with what you're given. Actually HL2 was like that too.

Toa TAK

Banned
Michael Biehn on the Major Nelson podcast:
https://soundcloud.com/xbox/show-475-ted-price-on-fuse-and

Haha holy shit he talks about "That Aliens game" .. soo good!
Michael Biehn confirms Bllod Dragon franchise ;)

Just finished listening to this. It sounds like he had a great time doing this, especially for his first time stepping into a new medium. It's pretty obvious he truly loved working with Dean (CD of Blood Dragon), and wanting to make himself exclusive to him was really nice to hear.

I hope they do make a sequel, retail or another arcade. I just fear that what makes this game special (the 80s cheese and poking fun at games all together) will get old quickly.

Gruso

I swear someone posted some startup options (from FC3) that launched the game direct without the Uplay window. But I can't find the post now. Am I taking crazy pills?

[edit] Man, I must have dreamed it. Can't believe I'm having dreams about launch parameters.

Played about 3 hours worth on the 360 this evening, a great compact action game with some lovely throwbacks to my young childhood. In the UK this game is out selling Minecraft on XBLA's most popular listing.

I unlocked explosive sniper shots about 2 missions in and that weapon is way OP this early in the game, i'm happy to use it but you can more or less 1 hit jeeps and it has an AoE, it changed my game style from sniping to using it like a rocket launcher.

The laser upgrade for the smg is a little off putting, your fire rate suddenly drops in half when it's installed, I kind of prefer normal bullets with a better fire rate myself.

Few glitches, I have the auto shotgun mod but when picking up a shotgun for a quest it was a bog standard model, only way to fix it was to go manually take it off my equip wheel and take it again later from the weapon store.

I also had a glowing bow constantly in the corner of the screen, if I looked down it was there, equipped or not it was stuck on screen for some reason.

I also had a glowing bow constantly in the corner of the screen, if I looked down it was there, equipped or not it was stuck on screen for some reason.
Haha, I think there was a screenshot earlier in here with someone having the same thing. It looked like the arrow was stuck in them. Maybe same thing?

I like how a lot of farcry stuff is there just because, random hand glider near the dam was good fun for approach, boats seem a little pointless with no water going through the middle of the island but it's nice to see them in plenty around the place.

Bombless

It's great to hear Biehn's genuine excitement at people coming up to him in the street to talk about Blood Dragon.

I mean, the guy is almost 60 and he could just play it all "yeah, it's great, blah blah" but instead he's so amazed and didn't expect it at all. Also lol at "that Alien game".

DSix

Banned
What are the differences between difficulty settings?

I want to replay on hard, but not if it transforms enemies into tedious bullet sponges.

What are the differences between difficulty settings?

I want to replay on hard, but not if it transforms enemies into tedious bullet sponges.

I started the game on hard and it's a bit of a cakewalk, the enemies are not bullet sponges so far outside of the heavies.

Bombless

Playing on Hard here as well, from the start. I really don't feel the difficulty, apart maybe from blood dragons. Of course if you stand out in the open and just take shots your health will drop really quick. I'm playing a mix of stealth takedowns and just straight minigun massacre. I love the yelling while shooting it!

Sojgat

Gotta ask, is Far Cry 3 anywhere near as fun as this? Also on that note, how is the soundtrack?

You will probably like Far Cry 3 if you liked Blood Dragon, but the soundtrack isn't as good (lots of dubstep).

Key differences of vanilla Far Cry 3:

- As has already been said, the pacing is awful, so is the story.
- Capturing bases eventually clears the world of enemies, leaving very little to do but run around collecting things.
- Fall damage is ridiculous. A 2 foot drop will take away half your life.
- Upgrade path is tedious. By the time you can do most of the things which come as default in Blood Dragon, you will have finished the game.
- A lot more weapons, including silenced options for ranged weapons.
- Wingsuit (it's awesome).

Megasoum

Banned
You will probably like Far Cry 3 if you liked Blood Dragon, but the soundtrack isn't as good (lots of dubstep).

Key differences of vanilla Far Cry 3:

- As has already been said, the pacing is awful, so is the story.
- Capturing bases eventually clears the world of enemies, leaving very little to do but run around collecting things.
- Fall damage is ridiculous. A 2 foot drop will take away half your life.
- Upgrade path is tedious. By the time you can do most of the things which come as default in Blood Dragon, you will have finished the game.
- A lot more weapons, including silenced options for ranged weapons.
- Wingsuit (it's awesome).

For the bases you can now reset them once you have cleared them all (they added that in the patch).

And I don't really agree with the upgrade thing. I had pretty much everything upgraded to the max before I got to the second island.

Sojgat

For the bases you can now reset them once you have cleared them all (they added that in the patch).

And I don't really agree with the upgrade thing. I had pretty much everything upgraded to the max before I got to the second island.

Didn't know the reset was added for the bases. That's really cool.

I might actually play some more Far Cry 3 now.

drbond

Neo Member
Thank you for using that song for the end credits.

Hell yea dude!

**High Five**

That song is awesome as it is (within the context of the movie it came from)...but using it to wrap up Blood Dragon is like an atom bomb on your brain (and places a big smile on your face).

Just uninstalled.

I generally make it a policy to not play Ubisoft games since they're so user hostile. But I got a free copy through AMD and everyone seemed to think rather highly of Far Cry 3. So I gave it a shot.

Play for a while. Get annoyed that I couldn't rebind the mousewheel to switch weapons. Go to quit in order to look up a way to hack around it. Can't save because I'm on a mission? That sucks. Well, at least I just hit a checkpoint; shouldn't be a huge deal. Don't find any way to rebind. Fire up the the game again to at least give it a shot getting used to it. My save restarts me at the very beginning.

Nope. Uninstall.

Maybe it gets better after you clear the first mission, but I wasn't impressed enough with it to try again. The guns all feel toothless, the extreme hypercolor VHS graphics are a little too extreme, and I'm tired of games doing bullshit like not letting you manually save. I could put up with some of this stuff from people I like, but for Ubisoft, I have a lot less patience. Fuck you, Ubisoft.

shuri

Banned
Yeah, the presentation feels great but some things really feel weird and OFF sometimes. It's like a representation of '80 sci-fi flicks from people who werent there at all. The weapons are kinda lame; but some things are great like the 2D pixel art cutscenes.

I just beat this. I hated the first mission, but the rest of the game was absolutely awesome. The systems weren't as deep as Far Cry 3 and on XBox 360 the framerate wasn't much better, but it was so fun, over-the top, and genuinely funny that I barely even noticed the game's flaws.

hlhbk

Wow...uplay is the freaking worst.
I still have 18 hours remaining on my Blood Dragon download.

I got the same problem with Gamersgate. I swore today I will never buy something that is on another service other than Steam at that point. I am considering getting Blood Dragon, just not sure if I should until I finish FC3.

Perfec7

Banned
Is this anyone else's GOTY? It beats both Infinite and Rising for me. It's just so...perfect.

The soundtrack is amazing, the one liners are great, the art style is perfect, the weapons are fun. I love it.

I wish more games would come out like this that are pure unadulterated fun; games that are made with true passion.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Me and Perfec7 right now...

25ea21f07552715fb9f56b4.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
Having a blast so far. I did all the garrisons and 3 of the main missions. Great expansion, not quite as good as FC3 though.

CloudWolf

Is this anyone else's GOTY? It beats both Infinite and Rising for me. It's just so...perfect.

The soundtrack is amazing, the one liners are great, the art style is perfect, the weapons are fun. I love it.

I wish more games would come out like this that are pure unadulterated fun; games that are made with true passion.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

I agree, this was so much better than I ever thought it would be.

You can't do this in Blood Dragon:

iHPpWzGzLDgRU.gif

I'd gladly replay FC 3 just for the Wing Suit.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

Zeno Clash 2 is my GOTY so far.

iECoJmvlxWRjl.gif

ibfM87vfp1I7RO.gif

itf08BnKooBPD.gif

jet1911

I LOVE THIS GAME!

It certainly is the best shooter I've played this year. The gunplay and the mobility are almost perfect.

Top Bottom