• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

Andrew.

Banned
Visually it's less interesting

commandowrong.gif

tjohn86

Does anyone know where I can find a rocket sniper enemy outside of missions? I really want the headshot all types cheevo.

TruckDriver

Neo Member
Day 1 purchase. I've been having a blast with it. The music, the design, having Michael Biehn doing, basically, his best Duke Nukem impression. This is what DNF should have been.

How does Blood Dragon compare to Vanilla Far Cry 3? I've really enjoyed the open worldness of Blood Dragon. Would y'all recommend Vanilla FC3? I heard the story was... not so great.

Just finished the campaign and I'm going to continue to be the ultimate badass on the island. I have to say that was a really nice treat of a game. I grew up in the 90s but I still could appreciate everything about it, there were even some internet memes thrown in there which while I'm not a fan of the one they used, it was appropriate. I would support anyone who is even slightly interested in this game to download it ($15 come on son) and you will more than likely enjoy it in some way, shape or form.

On a side note I have never really played a Far Cry game before. I messed around with Far Cry 2 on the PC but never fully played it. I know the third one is different and is highly rated but normally open world games aren't for me but I think I will check the series out after this.

Syriel

Lol, I was liberating a garison yesterday. When I was about to enter a dragon was casually hanging out in front of the garnison so I lured him away with some juicy cyber hearts. Then in the middle of my rampage the dragon stood behind me all of a sudden and killed me just like that. This game is so random :p

Does anyone have some tips on how to slay a dragon btw? They're tough fellas.

Do like they tell you and shoot the weak spot on its chest.

Short version:

1) Use pistol to pew-pew it and get it pissed off.
2) When BD rears up on its hind legs and roars, nail it in the chest with something powerful.
3) Dodge lasers and throw heart.
4) Repeat until dead.

Tacitus_

This is the best game ever. Running alongside a mountaintop, jumping off to kill an enemy with the drop takedown, sprint up to an enemy, take him down, ninja star the next one and nade a reinforcing jeep.

And Rex finishes it off with a cheesy oneliner. Absolutely amazing.

todahawk

Perfect! I am laughing way too hard at this.

I love this game soooo much.

This is the best game ever. Running alongside a mountaintop, jumping off to kill an enemy with the drop takedown, sprint up to an enemy, take him down, ninja star the next one and nade a reinforcing jeep.

Yeah, I keep playing areas over and over just to try crazy shit and play around. The nostalgia and nod's to all my favorite 80's movies just makes it all the better.
This is fucking why I love video games. Pure fun.

Tacitus_

Yeah, I keep playing areas over and over just to try crazy shit and play around. The nostalgia and nod's to all my favorite 80's movies just makes it all the better.
This is fucking why I love video games. Pure fun.

And the movement! You can move almost as fast as the vehicles on foot and there's no falling damage, because that's MARK IV STYLE MOTHERFUCKERS!

So I purchased this on Amazon. I installed it just to realize that it uses uPlay. I apparently had a uPlay account from long ago.... so I didn't even realize it. After password recovery it doesn't show that I have any games.... I reclick the install button and it's asking if I want to uninstall it. I can't seem to find anywhere on the client about entering the product key... Can someone help?

todahawk

And the movement! You can move almost as fast as the vehicles on foot and there's no falling damage, because that's MARK IV STYLE MOTHERFUCKERS!

No fall damage, no drowning, chaining melee attacks, it's all good.

During the first intro mission when you're going down into the bunker there's about 6 guys in a row in the hallway I chained together. So. Freakin'. Awesome.

I play the intro chopper run with 'Long Tall Sally' blaring in the background pretty much every session just because it's so damn fun.

What a love letter this game is.

Triz

Just finished it with all collectibles. This is my favorite DLC of all time. So over the top and fun. Give me more Ubisoft.

Linius

Do like they tell you and shoot the weak spot on its chest.

Short version:

1) Use pistol to pew-pew it and get it pissed off.
2) When BD rears up on its hind legs and roars, nail it in the chest with something powerful.
3) Dodge lasers and throw heart.
4) Repeat until dead.

I will try that. Sounds like a solid plan.

Yep, those are the kind of things that are amazing about this game. What I also love to do is take the paraglider, fly somewhere and just crash the damn thing because fall damage is something we Mark IV guys don't do :D

The AI is so damn cowardly.

Whenever I try to move stealthy and I miss an arrow at some guy the AI seems to figure out quite fast where I'm at and they run towards me as well. So I wouldn't call them cowardly actually.

Double D

I found myself not using the bow very much at all, which is kind of a bummer considering how much I used it in vanilla FC3. The main reason for this was because I couldn't really see anything with this blue neon shit all up in my face.

Linius

The only thing I miss about that bow is the eyesight I bought for it in FC3. But I guess I can unlock that somewhere along the way. Now it's kind of hard for me to take out guys from very far. But yeah, then I just enter rampage mode and call out 'danger zone' to finish things off.

Andrew.

Banned
The only thing I miss about that bow is the eyesight I bought for it in FC3. But I guess I can unlock that somewhere along the way. Now it's kind of hard for me to take out guys from very far. But yeah, then I just enter rampage mode and call out 'danger zone' to finish things off.

Ive found all the collectibles and unlocked all weapon parts and still have 5 story missions to go. I dont think there are any additional bow attachments unless they are given to you upon completion. This game is meant for rampaging or just going in and using takedowns and close stealthy Tron bow kills.

Linius

Ive found all the collectibles and unlocked all weapon parts and still have 5 story missions to go. I dont think there are any additional bow attachments unless they are given to you upon completion. This game is meant for rampaging or just going in and using takedowns and close stealthy Tron bow kills.

Hmm, that's too bad then. Can't have everything I suppose :p

todahawk

Lol, same thing I call it.

Man, I'm so garbage at FPSes. Takes me so long to get used to each one. Finally in the swing of things now.

Lots of fun so far. I fucking hate the weapon wheel though.

Lol, is the money Jane Fonda on Canadian $10 bills?

Tain

How does Blood Dragon compare to Vanilla Far Cry 3? I've really enjoyed the open worldness of Blood Dragon. Would y'all recommend Vanilla FC3? I heard the story was... not so great.

I find that a lot of the criticism toward Far Cry 3's plot (certainly not all) is centered around how much players didn't like the main character and his group of friends, and it usually boiled down to them being upset that the characters were all partying college kids, lol. The story is, as far as I'm concerned, a little bit better than I would expect from the kind of game it is. Maybe more importantly, it doesn't stick around for longer than it needs to.

I think FC3's better in a lot of areas, though. Prettier, better paced in multiple ways, a little more challenging.

Well, that was very fun ride. It was a bit longer than average Call of Duty, but it was more awesome ;) If the sales will be good, we can wait for the sequel announcement.

Woorloog

Banned
Very fun game overall.

As i see, this game's biggest problems are that the game is too... modern, and the open world.
ADS, sprint (as in, can't shoot while running-type spring, optional running with ability to fire would be just fine), other stuff that is quite unnecessary, and frankly, considering the game's setting, theme, retroish-gameplay (something akin to Doom) would be wonderful here.
The open world is kinda pointless in this, the main fun in this game are the story missions, open world just works as filler beetween missions. Optional one.
Note: haven't played Far Cry 3 itself. Liked Far Cry 2 despite its shortcomings.
Not fan of "stealth" in this game either, seems a bit too arbitary at times. Distractions don't work consistently, though perhaps this is by design, as to avoid trivializing stealth.

As for writing, awesome. Cheesy, puns and double-entendres, (Bond) one-liners, cliches, overall sillyness... Everything's great.
Also love all the shout outs to 80's things (like Predator-vision mode sound when activating cyber-eye).

Definetly worth $15/1200MSP.

EDIT damnit, forgot to mention the music. While i've never been really a fan of electronic music like this game has, i love the soundtrack. It is perfect for a game like this.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Downloaded the demo and the first section in the helicopter sold me alone. For people who grew up in the 80s and enjoyed all the movies this game references, it really is a blast. Predator, Terminator, Robocop..... bliss!

todahawk

Shotgun and Sniper always seem to be my go-to in just about everything, so this sounds good to me.

Sniper with explosive rounds is just fucking fantastic fun.
haven't upgraded the shotty yet but good god I love the bow.

I absolutely love the robotic 'Wizards of Wor' voices for the grunt troops. I just heard one bitching and moaning something about 'this bullshit detail'... so i promptly put him out of his misery.

Question.

Is there anyway to buy this without giving my CC to MS and without buying a $20 point card? I want to buy a code for $14.99, but can't seem to find a way to do so.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game is absolutely fantastic. Pure fun and awesome distilled into a great little package. Haven't done all the main missions yet but I've done nearly all the side stuff, except the TVs, and the hours have just melted away. Great value for $15.

Sojgat

This game has impressed the hell out of me.

So many smart little tweaks to gameplay that have improved on Far Cry 3. For example, when you take over all the garrisons, the world is no longer emptied of enemies, but rather filled with them as they're pushed out of their bases. As you level up, and are more easily able to deal with the combat, there's more of it rather than less.

Weapon design, art direction, writing, music and gameplay are all awesome.

GOTY for me so far (and I didn't even put vanilla Far Cry 3 in my 2012 top 10).

I honestly can't tell if I'm being trolled or not. If I'm not - awesome. If I am - fuck you. This game both sheds light on what is awesome about the game industry and what absolutely fucking sucks about the game industry.

First off, this game is awesome. Secondly, - now I'm a nice person - I was very meh on Far Cry 3. I realize studios from like 17 or so countries worked on the game and probably like 500 people judging by the credits. I 100 percented Far Cry 3. One...hundred...percented it. Don't get me wrong. The graphics were amazing...and..well...Vaas was cool...okay. I'm trying not to be negative, because FC3 is someone's baby and a lot of people worked on it.

But holy fuck, Blood Dragon is awesome and FC3 felt like something you'd be forced to play if you had to serve community service. And this is why I can't tell if I'm being trolled or not. Blood Dragon would be hillarious if it weren't lampooning the very game it's based on.

What makes Blood Dragon awesome? You immediately have bad-ass guns. Stupid fucking shit like fall damage has been eliminated. For those that haven't played FC3, tripping takes off like have your health at the start of the game. You avoid two-foot high hills because they might take off half your health. Secondly, the chain take downs? In FC3, it takes forever to unlock that shit. I've already admitted it, but having 100 percented FC3 means I collected all the collectibles (namely the idols, of which there were more than 100. Completely fucking pointless.). In Blood Dragon there's a big recurring joke about why the fuck you are actually collecting collectibles.

Blood Dragon seems like a game these guys wanted to make that didn't have check boxes. It's awesome. Guess what? Skyrim with guns is fucking boring. Blood Dragon is great. You immediately feel like a badass. There's no dumb filler. The FC3 gameplay is still there and it's only $15.

I wish I could convince publishers like Ubisoft that I will buy imaginative and fun stuff like Blood Dragon day one instead of stuff like FC3 that I waited until there was a significant price drop. Give me more of this $15 completely unique stuff instead of the sterile $60 Skyrim with guns that I have forgotten already and regret 100 percenting.

Sojgat

I honestly can't tell if I'm being trolled or not. If I'm not - awesome. If I am - fuck you. This game both sheds light on what is awesome about the game industry and what absolutely fucking sucks about the game industry.

First off, this game is awesome. Secondly, - now I'm a nice person - I was very meh on Far Cry 3. I realize studios from like 17 or so countries worked on the game and probably like 500 people judging by the credits. I 100 percented Far Cry 3. One...hundred...percented it. Don't get me wrong. The graphics were amazing...and..well...Vaas was cool...okay. I'm trying not to be negative, because FC3 is someone's baby and a lot of people worked on it.

But holy fuck, Blood Dragon is awesome and FC3 felt like something you'd be forced to play if you had to serve community service. And this is why I can't tell if I'm being trolled or not. Blood Dragon would be hillarious if it weren't lampooning the very game it's based on.

What makes Blood Dragon awesome? You immediately have bad-ass guns. Stupid fucking shit like fall damage has been eliminated. For those that haven't played FC3, tripping takes off like have your health at the start of the game. You avoid two-foot high hills because they might take off half your health. Secondly, the chain take downs? In FC3, it takes forever to unlock that shit. I've already admitted it, but having 100 percented FC3 means I collected all the collectibles (namely the idols, of which there were more than 100. Completely fucking pointless.). In Blood Dragon there's a big recurring joke about why the fuck you are actually collecting collectibles.

Blood Dragon seems like a game these guys wanted to make that didn't have check boxes. It's awesome. Guess what? Skyrim with guns is fucking boring. Blood Dragon is great. You immediately feel like a badass. There's no dumb filler. The FC3 gameplay is still there and it's only $15.

I wish I could convince publishers like Ubisoft that I will buy imaginative and fun stuff like Blood Dragon day one instead of stuff like FC3 that I waited until there was a significant price drop. Give me more of this $15 completely unique stuff instead of the sterile $60 Skyrim with guns that I have forgotten already and regret 100 percenting.

I feel exactly the same way. At first I was kind of missing the wing suit, but then realised I could take a running jump off the highest peaks in the game without fall damage.

I honestly hope the next full retail game in the franchise is Far Cry 4: Blood Dragon Part 2.

Mordeccai

Got to play about two hours worth tonight at my buddies, damn is it cool.

Only complaint so far is that with all of Rex's agility and combos, I'm trying to play much more agile than the game allows. I like to run up to people, slide, and try to initiate takedown chains but it doesn't work that way :[ The window to do it in is too narrow. I just want to slide from person to person, jump through the air, and chain takedowns.

Also I suck at using these iron sights, god damn.

Tacitus_

Got to play about two hours worth tonight at my buddies, damn is it cool.

Only complaint so far is that with all of Rex's agility and combos, I'm trying to play much more agile than the game allows. I like to run up to people, slide, and try to initiate takedown chains but it doesn't work that way :[ The window to do it in is too narrow. I just want to slide from person to person, jump through the air, and chain takedowns.

Also I suck at using these iron sights, god damn.

You can stagger them with gunshots, which seeemed to allow a takedown.

Megasoum

Banned
I dunno what's up, I'm 5/7 main missions done, half of the garissons liberated and I only have 3 tv sets and no tapes and no notes....I mean, the game is dark but I'm not blind lol.

Oh and what's the easiest way to make money? I unlocked a bunch of upgrades but I can't afford them!

I miss the vendoring stuff from FC3.

Top Bottom