• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Thornton & Freeman in a new tale from the Coen Brothers' world - Tues on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha you think? Maybe it's just me, but this is one of the few times where I could the actor was British. Hugh Jackman, Andrew Garfield, Christian Bale, Nicole Kidman, etc. always fool me but maybe it's more to do with it being a Midwest accent.
I personally think all these people you just mentioned are actually Americans with american accents pretending to be British and when it comes time to play Americans it just comes naturally

ESPECIALLY that Mel Gibson but he clearly just decided fuck it I'm gonna stop bullshitting I'm american goddamn it

This nygaard is seriosuly British both him and tom hardy they're impossibly British

Grinchy

Banned
I was a little distracted by Bilbo's accent at first but that's probably only because it was on the forefront of my mind that he was doing such a drastically different accent than normal. If I didn't know who he was before this show I'm not sure if I would have even noticed.

All I know now is that I like the show the best when he's on the screen.

Hatchtag

Banned
Who thinks Malvo was responsible for the fish rain?

I've noticed two outside shots with Malvo where there's specifically a plane in the background, so I think that could be foreshadowing that he'll have caused it somehow with a plane.
It's worth noting that in Episode 5, there's a shot with the excercise machine that Don Chumph gets ducktaped to in focus.

Trouble

Banned
I've noticed two outside shots with Malvo where there's specifically a plane in the background, so I think that could be foreshadowing that he'll have caused it somehow with a plane.
It's worth noting that in Episode 5, there's a shot with the excercise machine that Don Chumph gets ducktaped to in focus.

Good eye. I guess that's that, then.

Seems unlikely he would find a pilot willing to go up during the "storm of the century" to drop live fish.

The shootout (the first one) was brutal. As for Solverson being shot: Check her pulse you bloody idiot. Just because she's not awake doesn't mean she's dead.

I like Bilbo, I kinda hated his wife and brother much more (although his brother redeemed himself a bit).
But the most hateable character by far is Bob Odenkirk. Just such an idiot. Completely impedes everyone's progress.
I kind of have a far-fetched theory he's behind everything, but I'd still be incredibly surprised if it's true.

I disagree. There was a moment when he was confronted by all the circumstantial evidence and seemed to come around.

Grinchy

Banned
Seems unlikely he would find a pilot willing to go up during the "storm of the century" to drop live fish.

Not to mention fly around in the air waiting for the go ahead that the car he's targetting is on the road. And not to mention he'd have to be able to see the car in the storm and accurately drop the load of fish. It seems like a major stretch if they go that route.

survivor

Banned
The entire part with Lester's escape plan and the flying fish were pretty dumb and makes it really hard to take the writing seriously. The shootout was pretty well done though.

I remember having issues with some contrivances during the first episode or two, but since then I've kinda accepted that the show has a larger-than-life/comic book-ish tone.

In one of the original trailers there was a scene in a convenience store with Adam Goldberg's (Mr. Numbers) character and stickup with a gun in a yellow bag. That hasn't happened in yet, right? I guess it'll have to be a flashback at this point due to his demise?

At the end of every preview for the next episode it ends with this fishy shot:
vB3E5ni.png

Also come on Fargo-GAF, everyone knows he's Arthur Dent.

Hatchtag

Banned
In one of the original trailers there was a scene in a convenience store with Adam Goldberg's character and stickup with a gun in a yellow bag. That hasn't happened in yet, right? I guess it'll have to be a flashback at this point due to his demise?

At the end of every preview for the next episode it ends with this fishy shot:
vB3E5ni.png

Also come on Fargo-GAF, everyone knows he's Arthur Dent.

Fish are a major symbol in this series:
-Fish raining down onto the car
-Fish being ate at the beginning of the most recent episode
-Giant fish on Bob Odenkirk's wall
-Giant fish held by bikini-clad women that popped up on Molly's computer
-"What if you're right and they're wrong?" poster
-Fish on the computer of the dead frozen guy

quin

I'm pretty sure Lake Bemidji and every other lake in Minnesota (with the exception of Lake Superior and maybe Lake of the Woods) freezes over in the winter.

I just can't see raining fish as a possibility

Grinchy

Banned
I'm pretty sure Lake Bemidji and every other lake in Minnesota (with the exception of Lake Superior and maybe Lake of the Woods) freezes over in the winter.

The deaf guy drilled some holes on the frozen lakes. The fish shot up through those holes!

This was exactly what I thought as well. Who knows if it will be explained in the next episode.

C4Lukins

What is it with Hanks father and son allowing Adam Goldberg to get knifed to death on their watch?

Also, I am sure it has been noted in this thread, but the parking garage for the drop was named Gustafson Parking Garage.

Film Spoilers

I wonder if it was called that because Gustafson was murdered there or because he owned the property. Either way it was another nice callback..

Linius

That entire garage scene was an hommage to the film I suppose. Except for some violent details it was pretty much the same scene.

I assumed it was supposed to be Lake Superior. Given that that scene was probably not super far outside of Duluth right on the lake.

At first I liked this Malvo guy, but now he's killing all my favorite characters so he has to go. I guess this will be an anthology series, similar to American Horror Story. So it's very possible that Freeman and Thornton's characters can die. I actually hope they do, or at least get caught. They both suck.

Draconian

Okay, sure. But why didn't they show him after the shootout? And where would he go?

Because the writers didn't want to show that and he's not one of the four lead characters. I'm sure they'll let you know where he went at some point, but I don't see why it was absolutely necessary for them to do so in this episode.

Ser Goje

Because the writers didn't want to show that and he's not one of the four lead characters. I'm sure they'll let you know where he went at some point, but I don't see why it was absolutely necessary for them to do so in this episode.

Oh yeah, that could be it. I don't think it was necessary, it was just weird for me he left his friend in the middle of the shootout. Even more surprising than the raining fish :D

Opto

Banned
Hey, can someone explain the reason for Lester to put the gun in his nephew's backpack? Did I miss some crucial detail?

Lester is banking on it being found when the kid goes to school. That'll get police to be interested in Lester's brother, and possibly lead to the gun-safe being searched.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Every episode seems to have more contrived elements to it than the last one, but it's so well done otherwise that I still like it. I have to shut my brain off that this is connected to a film with no leaps of logic or whimsy, but when they recreate whole scenes from it, that just hammers home how different these two things are. The performances and direction are brilliant, but the writing seems like they were big Breaking Bad fans who would rather do that kind of stylized show than a Fargo adaptation.

I just want to say that the briefcase full of money being buried and found in the next story is the most brilliant connecting thread between the film, this season of the TV show, and future seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom