• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fascinating article from 1Up on why Japan is "SCREWED"

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
From *1Up Article*

By David F. Smith
July 16, 2004

The Japanese games industry would appear to be screwed at this point. That is the basic message delivered by the latest CESA White Paper, the annual report of the Computer Entertainment Suppliers' Association. CESA's survey chronicled a third consecutive year of steady decline in Japanese hardware and software revenues, down 11% in 2003 and nearly 40% since the peak of the PlayStation generation in 1997.

The year of Final Fantasy VII and Pokemon was the beginning of a continuing boom in North America. Since then, the American games market has grown steadily into a monster that comfortably supports three platforms and looks to have another banner year in 2004. In Japan, it was the beginning of a long, grim slide, briefly interrupted by Dragon Quest.

Aside from the obvious question of what developers and hardware manufactures can do to kick-start the market again, the figures inspire a kind of chicken-and-egg problem. Has the industry changed, and stopped selling what consumers want to buy? Or has the market changed, and stopped buying what the industry sells?

What Sells, Who's Buying?
In Japan, 1997's big hits were Final Fantasy and Pokemon. 2003's big hits, six years later, were Final Fantasy, Pokemon, and Dynasty Warriors 4. Times, they change.

Why is Dynasty Warriors the biggest original hit of the age? A subject for a feature of its own...
Koei's tactical action series is more or less the only original domestic platinum hit the Japanese development community has created this generation, coming out of nowhere to move millions of units across three installments and three more expansions. Going against the current trend, it's actually enjoyed increasing sales from sequel to sequel -- Sengoku Musou was one of only four million-selling Japanese PS2 releases in 2003.

Besides that...Capcom's Onimusha looked to be the genesis of a profitable new franchise, but in fact its first installment was the only one to go platinum in Japan, in the software-starved early days of the PS2. Its two sequels both sold progressively less, and its creators have now turned to a project designed exclusively for a Western audience, Shadow of Rome. "We're going to think of the other territories, and after we start to understand what they like, then maybe we'll be able to see the whole picture," says producer Keiji Inafune, but it remains to be seen whether this study-abroad project of his will bring Capcom significant benefit in any part of the world.

Where have all the Parappas gone? And the Lammys and the Ulalas, for that matter?

Devil May Cry also came out strong and faltered with its sequel. Konami's Zone of the Enders debuted on shaky legs, and its second installment, despite an improved critical reception, fell flat at the box office. Sony Computer Entertainment, which created massive hits in the 32-bit era, has comfortably sat back on its Gran Turismo laurels while publishing an endless string of boutique releases. Drakengard was Japan's best-selling original game in 2003, struggling to move around a quarter-million units. No original titles were spotlighted in Sony's 2004 PlayStation awards, only sequels and licenses.

Everything else to consistently sell in blockbuster-hit quantities since the advent of the PlayStation 2 is either a sequel to something that was a hit in the last generation or a license from some other medium (Super Robot Wars, Winning Eleven, Antonio Inoki pachinko games and the like). Metal Gear Solid 2; Gran Turismo 3; Soul Calibur II; the Tales series; a profusion of Final Fantasies; Nintendo's franchise players; and so on.

"Before we've just been looking to Japan," says Keiji Inafune. "Now it's time to look at the other areas of the world" -- starting with ancient Rome, evidently.

The failure of the industry to create new successes leaves a continually expanding gap created by franchises in decline. Konami's Silent Hill horror adventures have fallen on hard times -- Silent Hill 4 was outsold its first week by a pachinko game -- and the Tokimeki Memorial franchise's third installment killed it. After years of dominating the horror genre, Resident Evil is on shaky legs. Its online debut tanked, and Resident Evil 4 is confined to the comparatively small GameCube installed base. Characters and concepts that found currency on the PlayStation are has-beens now -- look what became of Parappa the Rapper, and in fact the entire rhythm action genre. Namco's Taiko no Tatsujin has sold steadily through its expansions, but the followup to Nintendo's Donkey Konga sold a disappointing 32,000 units its first week.

See You On The Other Side
By comparison, the American and European branches of the industry have created new hits, new characters, and new franchises. Grand Theft Auto is technically a holdover from the 32-bit age, but it became a success after completely reinventing itself for PS2. Ubisoft trumped the Japanese stealth action competition with Splinter Cell, giving the city of Montreal alone as many or more original platinum hits than Japan as a whole. Electronic Arts draws plenty of flack for its reliance on established names, but even the old monolith gave us SSX and the rest of the EA Big lineup. Sony threw out its PlayStation franchises and started over with Jak and Ratchet & Clank.

Outsold by the Quebecois. Japan should hang its head in national shame.

The American games industry has grown as a consequence. Entertainment Software Association figures chart steady growth in North American software shipments since the dawn of the PlayStation era in 1995 -- $7 billion worth in 2003. The only year-on-year decline since then took place in 2000, when the PS2 was on its way in and the Dreamcast was on its way out.

Games People Play
There's a strange irony in the comparison between two sets of figures in the 2003 CESA White Paper. As mentioned above, hardware and software sales are in decline, and have been for some time. Yet at the top of the survey summary, it says that 37.6% of the Japanese population "is in continuous contact with games," compared to only 25.6% in 2002. That's 34.4 million people who are apparently pretty interested in electronic gaming.

The gaming audience is expanding, then, but it's not necessarily expanding in traditional areas. Of those 34.4 million, according to CESA's research, 3.4 million are focused on online games, and almost 9 million are fans of cellular-phone games.

Mobile gaming is only just catching on in the west, but like any trend related to cellular phones, it started in Japan, where it's rapidly growing in revenue and popularity. Some independent developers have turned to mobile gaming as a primary source of income -- shooter developer Cave is a good example -- and it's penetrated areas of the market that traditional games can't touch. In an amusingly publicized incident earlier this year, a Diet member was censured by his colleagues after he was caught playing cell-phone Tetris during legislative debate.

Cave's bread and butter these days -- not arcades, not consoles, but cellular phones.

The proliferation of mobile gaming offers an uncomfortable reminder of Nintendo president Satoru Iwata's broken-record refrain. More complex games, he says, "require customers to consume enormous time and energy" playing them. Iwata may be questionably optimistic about the prospects of the Nintendo DS, and he's shoving his head in the sand with regard to the proliferation of online gaming. Here he may have a point, though, especially in an aging market with fewer and fewer chunks of free time.

Complex, lengthy, story-driven games demand an awful lot of care and feeding these days, and often offer paradoxically little replay value. DMA Design hit on a formula with Grand Theft Auto III that balanced the old and the new effectively -- it offers activities suited to both long stretches of gameplay and short sittings of cruising or random action. So far, though, the trends thus inspired haven't caught on in Japanese development, and in the meantime, pachinko outsells Silent Hill.

Better Luck Next Year
The coming year could see a turnaround for the console business, thanks to a few key games. Between the beginning of this fall and the end of next spring, providing their current release dates hold, Final Fantasy XII, Gran Turismo 4, and Dragon Quest VIII will all hit the market, providing new installments in the three most popular and lucrative franchises in Japan. That doesn't solve the problem of creating new hits, but it should sell a few more consoles even in a saturated market.

Dragon Quest spinoffs have been selling less and less lately, but the real thing no doubt still has platinum power.

That same timeframe will also see two new handheld launches, though, the outcome of which is a little harder to predict. The PSP promises more of what we already have (in portable form) -- except Japanese consumers aren't buying most of what's on offer these days. The DS, meanwhile, promises something new, different, and original -- except Japanese developers seem to have a rough time coming up with original concepts right now.

What if they gave a system launch and nobody came? The PSP's as-yet franchise-dominated lineup of titles is particularly worrisome, because a new platform's early days are the best time to create new hits. EA succeeded with SSX largely because of its lack of competition -- were it to debut now, it wouldn't do nearly as well. Exactly how portable the final hardware proves to be is another critical issue, since the rise of mobile gaming suggests that the Japanese market currently favors portability over power.

"Game developers are finding it difficult to make completely unique software," says Satoru Iwata. A completely unique bit of hardware should be a start, at least.

The DS is more of a question mark, given the vague nature of its software lineup at this point, but the current pattern of hardware sales in Japan bodes ill for its success, given that even the Game Boy Advance missed sales targets by about 10% in 2003. Nintendo claims the DS will carve out a market niche for itself, regardless of other handhelds on the market, but we'll see if that prediction actually pans out.

Where Will It End?
For all this pessimism, it doesn't seem like the Japanese game industry is going away entirely. CESA still charted more than $10.5 billion in hardware and software revenue in 2003. The decline has been slow compared to, say, the American gaming crash of the early '80s (a 35% decline one year, a 60% drop the next), and a dedicated enthusiast audience remains to follow games in whatever form developers choose to present them.

The advent of new hardware in the next two to three years suggests things will get worse before they get better, though, if indeed they ever do. Conventional wisdom believes that new handheld launches will soften the blow of a transitional period, but that may not be the case in Japan, where the development community seems to have a hard time delivering enough compelling software for even one dominant platform.

Satoru Iwata claims that Nintendo's new handheld will inspire new, revitalizing game concepts, while Sony touts the crossover potential of the PSP. Hopefully, for the sake of the games industry at large, they're both right. It would be unfortunate to look back at 2004 as the beginning of yet another long, grim slide, briefly interrupted as usual by Dragon Quest.

"Say g'night to da bad guy!"
Maybe it's because Hiroshi Yamauchi's gone. He always did seem to think the industry would fall to pieces without him.

The western perception of the Japanese business world still seems to paint it as the usual inscrutable Asian hive mind. Which is too bad, because in the absence of that overwhelming stereotype, Yamauchi would be recognized among the unique industrialists of the latter half of the 20th century. He spent more than 40 years in the fast lane as the gaming world's answer to Tony Montana -- he had his balls and his word, and he didn't break them for no one.

Legend has it, in fact, that one of the only known instances of Yamauchi giving way to anyone screwed Nintendo for the next 10 years. So the story goes, Yamauchi favored an optical disc format for the Nintendo 64...except that Shigeru Miyamoto couldn't bear to deal with load times in his games. Which would mean that Yamauchi, for almost 20 years as the head of a console gaming power, was more or less always right.

Well, except for the Virtual Boy. Somebody has some explaining to do there.

Japanese games are offering up the same thing over and over (the run-of-the-mill, forgettable JRPGs and the like), yet the Japanese gamers stubbornly refuse to give non-Japanese games a chance.
On the other hand, the Western market is healthier because it's more diverse, since both Japanese and Western games can flourish. More diversity lowers the chance of stagnation.

*continued here*

Wow. This really bothers me. Do any of you agree that the situation is THIS bad? I mean, surely Japan can bounce back from this stagnation right? :( :( :(

BeOnEdge

Banned
i've been saying japan doesnt matter for the longest time now. leave them to their obsession with cell phones while europe and america bring on the goods. any japanese developer still interested in making good games is still welcome though.

Ubisoft trumped the Japanese stealth action competition with Splinter Cell, giving the city of Montreal alone as many or more original platinum hits than Japan as a whole.

Wonder why that got in there... :)

I know something's wrong when I actually played and loved a Western game two years ago (rogue leader) and two of my favorites for last year were Western made (Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil). The only other Western made games I even own that are not on PC are the Splinter Cell that came free with Prince of Persia and Rayman for GBA.

That said, I'm too busy playing sequels to my favorite RPGs to play much else.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
RiZ III said:
The problem is that Japanese people keep buying shitty games.

Yeah, probably because they have yet to discover games like Enter the Matrix and Driv3r. :p

Hellraizah

"Outsold by the Quebecois. Japan should hang its head in national shame."
I don't like this quote. It's a subtle racist remark.

cvxfreak

The article is wrong. Onimusha 2 sold a million.

Other than that...

"Without Nintendo there would be no growth." - George Harrison

2004's growth over 2003 this far was attributed to Pokemon remakes and the Famicom Mini lineup. Hey, Harrison was right. Let's hope it continues to grow...

Ryu

I read everything in this thread and then wanted to read the rest of the article and yet 1up.com won't load for me. Can someone cut and paste the rest for me?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hmm, market crash.. I guess it is possible:

A.) There has been a severe lack of innovation lately, devs are too worried to make new games
B.) Development costs have skyrocketed thanks to the demand of voice acting, and increased graphical capablities
C.) Microsoft wants to cut this generation short, consumers won't like it.

jett

D-Member
Semi-interesting article that doesn't really point anything new. In fact, it has its fair share of exaggerations(I wouldn't say that RE:Outbreak bombed, considering its a game meant to be played online) and outright lies(Onimusha 2 actually sold better than the first one in Japan).

P.S. 1UP's redesign sucks dick, runs kind of slow on my PC.

Yusaku

Suikoguy said:
Hmm, market crash.. I guess it is possible:

A.) There has been a severe lack of innovation lately, devs are too worried to make new games
B.) Development costs have skyrocketed thanks to the demand of voice acting, and increased graphical capablities
C.) Microsoft wants to cut this generation short, consumers won't like it.

Heh, I wouldn't blame voice-acting for increased development costs, considering it's been around for the last 10 years, and common for at least 7-8 years.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yusaku said:
Heh, I wouldn't blame voice-acting for increased development costs, considering it's been around for the last 10 years, and common for at least 7-8 years.

Yes, but its more common now, including people wanting bigger name actors

Suikoguy said:
Yes, but its more common now, including people wanting bigger name actors

Unless you're getting Hollywood talent it's not really going to be all that much. Most games still don't use those though with the exceptions of just some games that already have really high budgets like GTA or Driver.

Teddman

The balance of power is shifting back over to the West in terms of software prowess... At least Japan can still fall back on having the hardware edge. They're still plenty relevent because of Sony and Nintendo, though now there's actually a western company in the game (Microsoft).

I think it's going to be hard for Japan to catch up in some of the genres they've traditionally turned their noses up at. How many FPS games or GTA-style games have come out of Japan, for instance? Breakdown was one of the first Japanese attempts at an FPS, and it showed from what I've heard. And even the best platformers have come from outside Asia this generation.

Should be interesting to watch that resolve break down as more and more software studios have to adjust and cater to the rest of the world to have a shot at making profits. Hopefully it will function as an incentive for Eastern developers to take risks with game design once again.

Suikoguy

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
Japan is just the beginning; the US development scene will join it in the muck shortly.

In some ways it has, with the exception of a few gems, the US market has become a cesspool of generic fpshooters.

Teddman said:
I think it's going to be hard for Japan to catch up in some of the genres they've traditionally turned their noses up at. How many FPS games or GTA-style games have come out of Japan, for instance? Breakdown was one of the first Japanese attempts at an FPS, and it showed from what I've heard. And even the best platformers have come from outside Asia this generation.

With how well GTA has performed in Japan i'm sure we'll see some of those games next gen from Japanese developers. I don't really think they thought there was any market there for them, and Vice City has turned out to be one of the biggest games this year in Japan. So with Capcom publishing them there they might decide to just make one (maybe Rockstar will outsource GTA Tokyo to them?). Kojima also seems to really like GTA and i'd love to see one of those games from him.

Breakdown was just a game with alot of potential that wasn't pulled off right. Maken X is a much better example of a Japanese FPS (even though its more sword based). Great game. I dunno whats up with the platform genre though, it seems more like they lost interest in it. Outside of Mario Sunshine and Klonoa 2 nothing really sticks out this gen. Although those are really good games to have a stick out. :p

Suikoguy

I dunno whats up with the platform genre though, it seems more like they lost interest in it. Outside of Mario Sunshine and Klonoa 2 nothing really sticks out this gen. Although those are really good games to have a stick out. :p

Yes, i'm lost on that as well, Sony completly owns that now.. and not with japaneese devs, but with Europe and USA..
Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Spryo (PSX), Crash (PSX)
Some some modest ones from other non-japaneese developers.

Suikoguy

neptunes said:
what about real time strategies?

What about them?
Its been a western genre since its inception pretty much, and also mostly PC exclusive.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Blimblim said:
Enter the Matrix sold quite well in Japan...

Still, I can't imagine it reaching the same kind of numbers as in NA/Europe. Same with Driv3r. I think my point came through well enough.

Suikoguy said:
Yes, i'm lost on that as well, Sony completly owns that now.. and not with japaneese devs, but with Europe and USA..
Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Spryo (PSX), Crash (PSX)
Some some modest ones from other non-japaneese developers.

Yah i'd really like to know where the focus on platformers went to. Although last gen it wasn't completely focused in Japan since RARE had alot of the attention because of Banjo and COnker. But there doesn't seem to be too many platformers coming out of Japan now, atleast not big ones (once again with the exception of Mario, Sonic and Klonoa).

I think another problem is that Japan doesn't really develop any popular Western style sports games which is a big thing when sports games are the biggest genre in the US. No football, baseball, basketball ect. I still think Konami could make alot of money if they'd just take PPB's engine and redo the graphics with real baseball players. But they don't even seem to want to try.

"Still, I can't imagine it reaching the same kind of numbers as in NA/Europe. "

Whatever it sold, it sold less than 110k which is the lowest selling PS2 game at Shrine of Data. The GC version sold 4k and the Xbox version sold 6k.

The Japanese Industry has probably become complacent, generally accepting normal conventions with huge namebrand recognition, without the need to experiment.

Western Developers on the other hand have stepped up to the plate and probably tried to be just that little bit better that their nearest competitor.

Maybe there's a trend in Japan, perhaps more people there with disposable incomes are moving away from games and into other forms of entertainment....

DrLazy

So since DMA came up with GTA the West is somehow more innovative? Microsoft brought Live along, got to give them props for that too. What else has the West done? Bullet time?

Come to think of it, true Crime and Driv3r really rocked the house and brought new meaning to the genre. We really need Japan to make more FPS as well, there just aren't enough on the market. More squad combat military games too. Adapt to our tastes damn it Japan! The first person perspective makes games better!

I'd like to see people in the west make a good dog walking simulation.

No originality or innovation? What about Pikmin or Animal Crossing? Viewtiful Joe, Monkeyball, or Ikaruga? And that's just from glancing at some of my cube games. I love how the author just tosses aside Donkey Konga by looking at 1st week sales. Look at the YTD sales bud, you might see something.

Great Omnusha didn't sell as well. Lets look at Project Gotham racing 2. Didn't sell as well, hmmm. Devil May Cry 2 didn't sell as well... Splinter Cell 2 didn't sell well. Resident Evil 0 vs. Max Payne 2. We could play this game all night.

Don't get me wrong, the west makes great games, but they are absolutly positively just as guilty of lack of innovation and a dependence on sequels. The big difference is many Western studios didn't have as many franchises to begin with so they were forced to make new stuff. THEN THEY KILL THEM TO DEATH STREET FIGHTER STYLE.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Since getting here some 5 weeks ago, I've really kind of felt like this whole country was just crumbling from the inside out, especially Tokyo. People, by and large, simply don't look happy to be alive, and much of what you see is an illusion. I know a bunch of you guys are going to TGS in September, which is being held in Makuhari (which is where I've basically been based since I got here), and I know that you guys are going to see an area built up with 30-story office buildings, elevated parks, and an overall modern setting, but just keep in mind that those 30-story buildings are almost entirely empty and that what you are seeing is merely a polished shell of what could or should be. That is what Japan as a whole society kinda seems to be like to me right now (or at least Tokyo...Kyoto seemed to be fairing much better), and I feel like that general trend is finally catching about to the Japanese game industry. After all, the country has been in recession for YEARS, and really at the rate they're going, it really does feel like the country will remain in recession for at least another 15 years. So basically my point is that the country itself has been in stagnation for a long time now, and I feel like that's really starting to show up in the game industry in Japan. Basically, I don't even think it's really any fault of the industry, but rather just another symptom of the greater sweeping cultural and social malaise of the country.

At least, that's the way I feel about it.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
DrLazy said:
So since DMA came up with GTA the West is somehow more innovative? Microsoft brought Live along, got to give them props for that too. What else has the West done? Bullet time?

Come to think of it, true Crime and Driv3r really rocked the house and brought new meaning to the genre. We really need Japan to make more FPS as well, there just aren't enough on the market. More squad combat military games too. Adapt to our tastes damn it Japan! The first person perspective makes games better!

I'd like to see people in the west make a good dog walking simulation.

No originality or innovation? What about Pikmin or Animal Crossing? Viewtiful Joe, Monkeyball, or Ikaruga? And that's just from glancing at some of my cube games. I love how the author just tosses aside Donkey Konga by looking at 1st week sales. Look at the YTD sales bud, you might see something.

Great Omnusha didn't sell as well. Lets look at Project Gotham racing 2. Didn't sell as well, hmmm. Devil May Cry 2 didn't sell as well... Splinter Cell 2 didn't sell well. Resident Evil 0 vs. Max Payne 2. We could play this game all night.

Don't get me wrong, the west makes great games, but they are absolutly positively just as guilty of lack of innovation and a dependence on sequels. The big difference is many Western studios didn't have as many franchises to begin with so they were forced to make new stuff. THEN THEY KILL THEM TO DEATH STREET FIGHTER STYLE.

Let's not forget the milking by a variety of Japanese countries for all their popular series. Mega Man anyone?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
DrLazy said:
Pikmin did fairly well, and Animal Crossing sold very well, but Animal Crossing is, for all intents and purposes, a game from last gen, and Pikmin is hardly a blockbuster.

And besides that, this article was largely focusing on the PS2 market anyway, a point you should have realized when you rattled off all those game titles and thought about what system they were for.

Besides, you seem to see this article as inherently pro-Western, which I don't really believe it is. Rather, it is anti-Japanese, and frankly, Japan deserves a little trashing within the gaming community from time to time, because I think the nerd masses have a wildly inaccurate opinion of Japan, the Japanese, and the Japanese game industry. Yes, he brings in some examples from the West to back up his argument, and you're right, the Western game industry isn't really any great shakes either, but the POINT of the article is to be critical of Japan, not to deify the West.

Shoryuken

Agent Dormer said:
Let's not forget the milking by a variety of Japanese countries for all their popular series. Mega Man anyone?

You'd have a point if the West's (and for tha mater the world's) biggest Publisher EA wasn't notorious for milking games. Installments in all their series (including non-sports) come out yearly or every other year. And what about Ubisoft bringing 3 splinter cells in 2 years, and Insomniac and Naughty Dog, both on their third installments of series that were introduced in 2001 and 2002. The entire industry is guilty of producing sequel upon sequel, not just the Japanese portion.

Shouta

The stagnation of the Japanese game industry is a bit exaggerated IMO. There`s still a ton of good games coming out, just none that are OMFG "TEH INNOVATE" like previous. I discussed this at E3 this last year a bit with some random people and while Japan`s industry has been waning, the US market still isn`t exactly a breadwinner. The same problem that you can evidently see in Japan is in America however, most choose to ignore the rest of the stuff that`s being put out. I mean honestly, how many Splinter Cell-esque, GTA-esque, and etc games have been put out in America since those became big but that haven`t been a big success? At least with the floods in the Japanese market, it mainly stays in Japan where it can handle it but the stuff produced in America and the subsequent floods of clones and etc could spell a big crash eventually if you ask me.

Edit: That@s enough from me until I get to Nagoya. My feet hurt like hell and standing at a computer kiosk posting sucks ass.

ManaByte

Gold Member
SolidSnakex said:
Unless you're getting Hollywood talent it's not really going to be all that much. Most games still don't use those though with the exceptions of just some games that already have really high budgets like GTA or Driver.

Even Hollywood talent, including "big" names like most of the LOTR cast as an example, is super dirt cheap when it comes to video game voice acting. In fact, it's so cheap it's barely a fraction of the development cost in some cases.

well, the last thing i want is japanese developers trying to "imitate" their western counterparts. most of the games i buy are developed in japan (except for my xbox collection). hell, i'd probably end up not gaming anymore...

Suikoguy

ManaByte said:
Even Hollywood talent, including "big" names like most of the LOTR cast as an example, is super dirt cheap when it comes to video game voice acting. In fact, it's so cheap it's barely a fraction of the development cost in some cases.

Really!?
I guess thats good news, but it makes me question why on earth

A.) Some games don't use voice acting
B.) The Voice Acting Truely Sucks
C.) The Game only has partial voice acting..

But thats ANOTHER topic :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
SolidSnakex said:
Whatever it sold, it sold less than 110k which is the lowest selling PS2 game at Shrine of Data. The GC version sold 4k and the Xbox version sold 6k.
Actually you can find the number in the american chart. A little more than 76.000.

Timbuktu

all this makes Nintendo and Iwata's crazy talk a lot more understandable.

And I agree with those who are saying that the problems in Japan are here in the West too. It's just that the market isn's yet as saturated and the people and not as bored of the sequels as those in Japan. What's happening in Japan can very easily happen in the West in the next gen if the companies don't try to see beyond their immediate bottom-line and try to maintain the long-term health of the industry as a whole.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Shoryuken said:
You'd have a point if the West's (and for tha mater the world's) biggest Publisher EA wasn't notorious for milking games. Installments in all their series (including non-sports) come out yearly or every other year. And what about Ubisoft bringing 3 splinter cells in 2 years, and Insomniac and Naughty Dog, both on their third installments of series that were introduced in 2001 and 2002. The entire industry is guilty of producing sequel upon sequel, not just the Japanese portion.

Yeah, but in the case you cited EA tends to at least visually improve upon their games and Splinter Cell 1 and 2 are not shit, unlike Mega Man's recent outings have been. Milking is done in every country, sadly, and is a bane on all of gaming.

kiryogi

Banned
Well, Megaman sells in japan... or at least .EXE does very well XD Not positive about how hot X7 was.(But that didn't deserve to get high sales) Even though you and other folks hate it, .EXE4 is their fastest/best seller thus far I think. (Or at least it beat out .EXE 3)

Top Bottom