• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fascinating article from 1Up on why Japan is "SCREWED"

Chrono

Banned
jedimike said:
It's in that CES report... I guess there is some high profile doctor that believes it and goes on talk shows and stuff. I forgot the percentage, but I think it is like 15% of the people believe this to be true. Of course these people certainly aren't going to let their children play games.

edit: spelling

Are there statistics that show what segment of society believe this?

Like for example age, or income. If most are 50 year olds supermarket cashiers it really isn’t surprising and it won’t have an effect on the gaming industry on the long or short run.

jooey said:
Seriously? what a bunch of retards.

It really isn’t less retared then saying that games make you kill people or that videogames are the works of Satan. Actually if you assume that games make kids study less then it's much less retared.

MetatronM said:
Since getting here some 5 weeks ago, I've really kind of felt like this whole country was just crumbling from the inside out, especially Tokyo. People, by and large, simply don't look happy to be alive, and much of what you see is an illusion. I know a bunch of you guys are going to TGS in September, which is being held in Makuhari (which is where I've basically been based since I got here), and I know that you guys are going to see an area built up with 30-story office buildings, elevated parks, and an overall modern setting, but just keep in mind that those 30-story buildings are almost entirely empty and that what you are seeing is merely a polished shell of what could or should be. That is what Japan as a whole society kinda seems to be like to me right now (or at least Tokyo...Kyoto seemed to be fairing much better), and I feel like that general trend is finally catching about to the Japanese game industry. After all, the country has been in recession for YEARS, and really at the rate they're going, it really does feel like the country will remain in recession for at least another 15 years. So basically my point is that the country itself has been in stagnation for a long time now, and I feel like that's really starting to show up in the game industry in Japan. Basically, I don't even think it's really any fault of the industry, but rather just another symptom of the greater sweeping cultural and social malaise of the country.

At least, that's the way I feel about it.

How would you describe happy people? What “illusions” are you talking about? Could you tell us the difference between the “empty” Japanese and any happy people you know? Don’t forget that Japan is a free country and however the Japanese decide to live is based on their own choices. If I didn’t know you better I’d say you think the Japanese need to accept Jesus to live good lives. :p

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
The more I think about this article, the more wrong it seems to be.

1. Japan's video game market has been shrinking by all accounts for the past few years, but then Japan itself has been in a recession for the past 15 years - almost every sector of Japan's economy has seen a downward trend. Also, the video game industry globally has been expanding, so of course Japan's relative share would be diminishing, but in both instances, it's happening despite Japanese video game producer's actions, not because of it.

2. This generation has been dominated by sequels. So what? The previous generation was full of new franchises and lots of creativity. Reminds me of the 8 bit and 16 bit days. The NES was home to countless new franchises and creativity, and the 16 bit days were full of sequels and refinements to those franchises. It seems to be part of the industry's creativity cycle.

I happen to live in the US and I can relate with Japanese gamer's gloomy outlook on gaming. Being able to experience the "diversity" of Western games definitly is not helping.

There are plenty good games coming out but nothing spectacular. It seems like everything's been done before.

The most exciting thing on the horizon for me right now is the Nintendo DS.

It puts into perspective how heavy the weight is on Nintendo's shoulders to bring something new to a stagnant industry. While MS and Sony go all out for the horsepower it'll be by sublety and whimsy that the gamers shall be saved.

Revolution and DS: THE WORLD NEED YOU!

Chrono

Banned
huzkee said:
Revolution and DS: THE WORLD NEED YOU!

AND A HERO RISES!

miyamotoknowslink_1084328075.jpg

jedimike

Chrono said:
Are there statistics that show what segment of society believe this?

Like for example age, or income. If most are 50 year olds supermarket cashiers it really isn’t surprising and it won’t have an effect on the gaming industry on the long or short run.

It really isn’t less retared then saying that games make you kill people or that videogames are the works of Satan. Actually if you assume that games make kids study less then it's much less retared.

http://www.video-fenky.com/archives/2004_06.html

The recent behavior of Nevada-tan has sparked new debate on many things in Japan -- education, child psychology, group activity in school, that sort of thing. It's also provided a brand-new stage for Professor Akio Mori to hop up and talk about his "Game Brain" theories again, this time in Yomiuri:

"Using your PC or video games for extended periods of time reduces the functionality of the area of your brain known as the prefrontal lobe, which is related to creativity, reason, and other human-like characteristics... Text sent via Internet chat or mobile phone is sent by instinct, without any reservation in the words."

Nevada-tan reportedly killed her classmate because she was saying bad things about her on some chat room, thus bringing about Prof. Mori's sudden amendement to his trendy fearmongering. Which is all it is, really -- Mori put out a book in 2002, it did well, and now he gets quotes in national newspapers -- but Mori wouldn't have gotten as far as he has if the local game industry hadn't completely ignored him, letting the professor get airtime across Japan without any industry rebuttal. As a result, according to the 2004 CESA Research Report on the General Public (released last month), 12 percent of Japanese agree with the statement "Video games retard the brain development of young children", up from 3.5% two years ago.

Chrono

Banned
jedimike: I believe you about the survey, I was just asking if there was more clarifaction on who those 12% are like age for example. Also, 12% isn't big. Especially considering that professor's point is kinda valid: doing anything for a lot of time reduces your abilites in other things just like if you study math for 6 hours and english for 1...

This was your original quote:

One thing the author forgets to mention is that an increasing number of the Japanese community thinks that playing games causes retardation.

"increasing" here is very subjective. 1%? 2%? Are there new surveys that show the increase? and how are those effecting the game industry? If Nintendo complains publicy about developers not being creative enough, I think we would have already heard about that proffessor if he really was making a big wave.

My point is basically you're giving this thing way too much credit... unless your'e like this guy:

jooey said:
Seriously? what a bunch of retards.

jedimike

I think the "up from 3.5%" was the big shocker. This "movement" has gained some momentum and I think 12 out of every 100 people is a pretty siginificant faction.

Chrono

Banned
jedimike said:
I think the "up from 3.5%" was the big shocker. This "movement" has gained some momentum and I think 12 out of every 100 people is a pretty siginificant faction.

heh yeah it's 3.5% :eek:

(I didn't read that whole quote because when I glanced at it, it just seemed like the one I read a long time ago saying the same thing about the 12%... )

shuri

Banned
For fucks sake guy. Visit import sites and check out the fucking hundreds of unplayable, SHITTY LOOKING, japan only title that never comes here. The titles that usually cross the border are usually the BEST of what they offer. And frankly, most japanese-made titles that comes over here is quite C grade. They got their own zillions of Acclaims and THQ over there too.

Stop praising stuff because it's japanese. Both sides are equally garbage. Western developpers are where its at for FPS, Sport Games, rally games, and action games and dungeon and dragon style role playing games (Morrowind, Ultimate,etcetc) and pc-style games

Japanese devs are there for fighting games, racing sims and anime-inspired rpgs.

Thats fucknig it. Both sites complete each others

jarrod

Banned
shuri said:
Western developpers are where its at for...Sport Games,
Winning Eleven, Hot Shots Golf, Mario Golf/Tennis, Virtua Tennis, ISS, Power Pro, Soccer/Baseball Tsukurou, Beach Spikers, Famistar...

shuri said:
rally games,
Sega Rally. Though really "rally games" is a bit narrow isn't it?

shuri said:
and action games
Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Mario, Kirby, Sonic, Viewtiful Joe, Shinobi, JSR, MegaMan, Contra, Castlevania, Klonoa, Ape Escape, Onimusha...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
MetatronM said:
Since getting here some 5 weeks ago, I've really kind of felt like this whole country was just crumbling from the inside out, especially Tokyo. People, by and large, simply don't look happy to be alive, and much of what you see is an illusion. I know a bunch of you guys are going to TGS in September, which is being held in Makuhari (which is where I've basically been based since I got here), and I know that you guys are going to see an area built up with 30-story office buildings, elevated parks, and an overall modern setting, but just keep in mind that those 30-story buildings are almost entirely empty and that what you are seeing is merely a polished shell of what could or should be. That is what Japan as a whole society kinda seems to be like to me right now (or at least Tokyo...Kyoto seemed to be fairing much better), and I feel like that general trend is finally catching about to the Japanese game industry. After all, the country has been in recession for YEARS, and really at the rate they're going, it really does feel like the country will remain in recession for at least another 15 years. So basically my point is that the country itself has been in stagnation for a long time now, and I feel like that's really starting to show up in the game industry in Japan. Basically, I don't even think it's really any fault of the industry, but rather just another symptom of the greater sweeping cultural and social malaise of the country.

At least, that's the way I feel about it.

Thanks for that post Metatron. That is very bothersome and disturbing to hear. I love Japanese people to death and have been fascinated by Japanese culture for many years but have never been able to go there. :(

It pains me to read stuff like this. I wish they weren't in a recession and wish they were doing better. :(

I hope that by the time I take a vacation to Japan(hopefully sometime within a year), the trip will not be a bittersweet one. I have always dreamt of going to places like the TGS, Sega Joypolis and NeoGeo land....just kicking it and having fun, goofing off, flirting with chicks, etc. The pictures and stories I've seen in books, on TV and in mags during the mid to late 90's gave me the impression of a utopian country bristling with fun things to see and do. :(

It just seems so many bad things have been happening though, that I'm worried that my expectations of what I imagine Japan to be like will be letdown. The burning of Akihabara for example, was depressing to read. That is a place I wanted to look forward to seeing upon arriving there. But now the best place to drool and oogle at all the quirky games and toys is gone. :(

I hope DCharlie or Mr Singh can share some comments encouraging us folks whom have yet to go to Japan that it isn't all that bad. Because from where I'm sitting, all these things I'm reading about makes the situation look gloomy :( :( :(

etiolate

Banned
The videogame industry is going to burn out like a child TV star. American public is still eating up crap software and redundant games, but it will eventually burn out and the new influx of consumers will leave. The industry just tried to be more than what it is.

isamu said:
The burning of Akihabara for example, was depressing to read. That is a place I wanted to look forward to seeing upon arriving there. But now the best place to drool and oogle at all the quirky games and toys is gone. :(
When did Akihabra burn down? I remember a small scale fire that destroyed one business and damaged it's neighbors but if that's what you are referring to then Akihabra is just fine. Was there a more recent fire where blocks were wiped out?

shuri

Banned
etiolate said:
The videogame industry is going to burn out like a child TV star. American public is still eating up crap software and redundant games, but it will eventually burn out and the new influx of consumers will leave. The industry just tried to be more than what it is.

Oh and the japanese publis is really into those deep artsy games. Let's bust out the Ikaruga, Ico, REZ and Panzers Dragons sales numbers please :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

jarrod said:
Winning Eleven, Hot Shots Golf, Mario Golf/Tennis, Virtua Tennis, ISS, Power Pro, Soccer/Baseball Tsukurou, Beach Spikers, Famistar...

I'm talking REAL, SERIOUS sport games. I dont think that hot shot golf, mario plays *insert sport* and beack spikers are considered to be serious sport games.

Sega Rally. Though really "rally games" is a bit narrow isn't it?

:rolleyes Collin Mcrally 1-2-3-4 and all those euro rally racers..

Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Mario, Kirby, Sonic, Viewtiful Joe, Shinobi, JSR, MegaMan, Contra, Castlevania, Klonoa, Ape Escape, Onimusha...

Devil May Cry, NinJa Gaiden, Shinobi and Contra are action games.. The rests are platformers/adventures games. You are fired. You are not authorized to reply or quote my messages until further notice

Alcibiades

just because they don't have violence/guns/aren't "mature", doesn't mean they aren't action games...

Castlevania (Super IV and before), Mario, Kirby, and Megaman are definitely action games...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Akihabara still has it's high spots. But it's very hard to be enthusiastic about the place after 4 years of trawling the same stores.

Infact, it's only when i go back to the UK or Europe or the US that i realise that Akihabara is still great (even if it has declined greatly from what it was).

The thing is, Akihabara is changing rapidly. Yamagiwa soft burnt down (a store i didn't particularly like, but hey...) and high rise office and accomodation blocks are going up. This in turn is bring a whole new clientel into the area, and it's now that the major expansion industry in Akihabara is no longer video games, but p0rn.

Infact, a few articles recently have suggested that as the video games stores go out of business (and we have lost a LOT of stores in the last year or two) then the seedier business that can't afford Shibuya and Shinjuku rents, are now looking to expand down from Ueno and into Aki. The Japan times article went as far to predict that Akihabara would over the next year or two become a red light district (rather than red line :) )
Saying that, Super Potato (building on their awesome Osaka store) have just opened a branch in Tokyo. Making them instantly the best store in Akihabara at the moment, especially for retro based goodness. And i will show you guys it if i meet you in Aki.

Outlook wise, i don't know if i would say the industry is screwed just yet but the warning signs are there. Personally, i see it like this - each gen we are seeing costs rising for both the hardware and software developers. However, the thing that should sustain these expected increase in costs is -decreasing- for most people (ie: sales).
It's pretty easy to see that if you have a number of large companies creating big budget games, trying to appeal to a similar audience who now have a number of other things to spend their disposable income on (which has basically been frozen (or in some cases cut) for just about everyone in Tokyo for the last 3 years), that some one some where is going to get badly burned.

This isn't the Tokyo of the 2000 pre-bubble era where every Japanese person seems to be a walking back of spare 10,000 yen bills, where people were more inclined to try out more games (i guess DVDs weren't as . But hell, the signs are there that things are picking up. Just very very slowly.

P90

MassiveAttack said:
How firm a grip do you think is reasonable?

Thanks for taking things entirely out of context like a good fellow American.

Sitting in the largest conference room at GDC 2004 bursting at the seams with a crowd trying to catch a glimpse of Fumito Ueda during his ICO design seminar made it difficult to accept the notion that Japan has lost relevancy in the global market for games.

I agree with most of the points raised in the 1UP article. What is also true is that no one but the Japanese could have designed a game like ICO, a game which bears more relevancy in the world of game design and the elusive sense of atmosphere and emotion than almost any other game of the last several years.

Uhh, it is out of context to think that Ico being boring makes it less than relevant to my tastes in gaming as a whole?

Your waxing about "the elusive sense of atmsophere and emotion" about a boring game sure sounded like rose colored glasses, i.e. romantic and unrealistic. hence my post. Perhaps it is you that lacks context. I apologize if I wasn't clear. I'll restate it to make it quite clear: Ico was boring. If that is your "relevancy" of Japanese gaming and gaming design, than "relevancy" pretty much sucks. Ico's sales, or lack thereof, pretty much say the same thing. I guess I am not in the minority.

Relevance is a term quite often applied to "art" vis a vis society. It is not out of the question or context to think that "relevancy" as you used it is a statement about society. Ico and Doom both have "relevancy", with Doom having much more "relevancy".

etiolate

Banned
Oh and the japanese publis is really into those deep artsy games. Let's bust out the Ikaruga, Ico, REZ and Panzers Dragons sales numbers please :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

All the games listed are made in japan and any following they have is amongst those who are likely interested in japanese games or culture. Outside of Unity, I don't see western devs doing anything like this.

Then again your reply wasn't much a statement in itself, so maybe that's why it was easy to point out the fault in it.

Shinobi

shuri said:
For fucks sake guy. Visit import sites and check out the fucking hundreds of unplayable, SHITTY LOOKING, japan only title that never comes here. The titles that usually cross the border are usually the BEST of what they offer. And frankly, most japanese-made titles that comes over here is quite C grade. They got their own zillions of Acclaims and THQ over there too.

Stop praising stuff because it's japanese. Both sides are equally garbage. Western developpers are where its at for FPS, Sport Games, rally games, and action games and dungeon and dragon style role playing games (Morrowind, Ultimate,etcetc) and pc-style games

Japanese devs are there for fighting games, racing sims and anime-inspired rpgs.

Thats fucknig it. Both sites complete each others

hammer_nail.jpg

firex

Sensible World of Soccer > WE

I think I'd play a lot more Japanese games if they'd make more action and platformer titles that get brought over here. It used to be all I wanted were Japanese RPGs, now I'd much rather have a bunch of shooters, platformers and action games like Shinobi than yet another predictable RPG.

I also think that, quite frankly, Japanese developers have been outdone for the most part on immersiveness in games for this generation. There's been no game from Japan with the immersiveness/interactivity of GTA3, and I find that when I play other genres of games where I previously had Japanese-game-only experience, the Western games just give a lot better gameplay (I'm thinking mostly of RPGs and stealth games here).

I still like a lot of Japanese games from this gen, but frankly I'd rather just buy some of the top-tier PC games coming out because they'll feel more polished and more interesting.

Sho Nuff

Banned
In Japan, the masses do not play games like they used to. Everything is perceived as the same stuff they played before with better graphics (whether it is true or not). Games are now regulated to "maniac players." Full stop.

This happened about 1-2 years into the PS2 lifecycle as far as I can tell.

jarrod

Banned
shuri said:
Panzer Dragoon sold 800k in Japan actually.

shuri said:
I'm talking REAL, SERIOUS sport games. I dont think that hot shot golf, mario plays *insert sport* and beack spikers are considered to be serious sport games.
Mario/Hot Shots Golf has more depth and technique than any western developed console golf game. Tiger Woods is an arcade game in comparison.

And many would argue Winning Eleven being the most serious sports game out there.

shuri said:
:rolleyes Collin Mcrally 1-2-3-4 and all those euro rally racers..
Sorry I thought you meant good rally games. WRC is pretty decent though.

shuri said:
Devil May Cry, NinJa Gaiden, Shinobi and Contra are action games.. The rests are platformers/adventures games. You are fired. You are not authorized to reply or quote my messages until further notice
Your definitions are arbitrary and narrow, not too surprising considering the source. Since when are platformers not action games? Think harder next time...

Sho Nuff said:
In Japan, the masses do not play games like they used to. Everything is perceived as the same stuff they played before with better graphics (whether it is true or not). Games are now regulated to "maniac players." Full stop.

But, but, I read on an English enthusiast message board that Japanese enthusiast magazine Famitsu claims the first half of 2004 is an improvement over the year-over-year plummeting drops from 1998-2003. Just because you live in Japan and work in the Japanese gaming industry doesn't mean that my boundless optimism is unfounded! LALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Chrono

Banned
jarrod said:
Panzer Dragoon sold 800k in Japan actually.

Mario/Hot Shots Golf has more depth and technique than any western developed console golf game. Tiger Woods is an arcade game in comparison.

But fuzzy cute cartoony characters are not TEH MATURE!!!1

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Sho Nuff said:

This happened about 1-2 years into the PS2 lifecycle as far as I can tell.

If this is true (and I'm not sure that it is), doesn't that match up with the fact that the first 1-2 years of the PS2's life in Japan were pretty barren, as far as games went? I know the first year was supposed to be pretty bad...

P90 said:
I'll restate it to make it quite clear: Ico was boring. If that is your "relevancy" of Japanese gaming and gaming design, than "relevancy" pretty much sucks. Ico's sales, or lack thereof, pretty much say the same thing. I guess I am not in the minority.

Exactly. Because Enter the Matrix and DRIV3R's sales are proof of their "relevance" to Western gaming and game design.

Remember that when you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's usually time to pause and check yourself.

Brofist

DCharlie said:
Saying that, Super Potato (building on their awesome Osaka store) have just opened a branch in Tokyo. Making them instantly the best store in Akihabara at the moment, especially for retro based goodness. And i will show you guys it if i meet you in Aki.

The Osaka store in Den Den has been my favorite gaming shop for quite some time, good to see they branched out over that way. In Den Den there are 2 or 3 of them, one just for PC software...good stuff.

This topic is lame...Japan is teh screwed because they aren't buying video games like they did 3 years ago. Err ok..Let's not even try to take into account differences in tastes, lifestyle, economy, trends etc..from then to now...from the US to Japan. Fact is like I said before, even being a gamer myself I can see gaming in general is just getting tired. There hasn't been a breakthrough in a while, the only thing we see now are more polished versions of previous games.

Also the gaming curve in Japan has always been ahead of the US and Europe. At a time gaming was insanely popular in Japan saleswise, the US was just getting off it's feet, so it's only natural that since gaming sales have now past peaked in Japan, they are on the rise in US.

Teddman

jarrod said:
But the best selling platformers (Mario Sunshine & Sonic Adventure 2) were Japanese. Also, JP platformers seem to rule GBA (Kirby, Mario, MegaMan, Starfi, Sonic, etc) in fact GBA/GC seem like the only platforms where JP developed game sales still reign supreme.
Well, the games you listed are pretty much all sequels, which is the point of the article. Only sequels are selling for Japanese devs.

The best NEW platformers have not come from Japan this generation.

Chrono

Banned
Teddman said:
Well, the games you listed are pretty much all sequels, which is the point of the article. Only sequels are selling for Japanese devs.

And so what? I don't get this attitude.

If they replaced the known characters in those games with new ones, and the games still had the same gameplay and graphics/sound etc., would you consider it an improvement for the japanese game industry?

I don't. If anything those sequels have marketing power. Also, like Mario and Zelda, developers can implement new ideas and improve those franchises. Yeah, I like to see new stuff, but I'll take a good sequel to a crappy "new" game any day.

oh and saying most of the new games came out of western developers really doesn't make those games any better. Don't forget, like many already said in this thread, the japanese game industry is older then the western one and they have more established franchises while the western developers are beginning to create ones of their own. How many sequels you think there will be for those franchises they're creating? look at Tomb Raider for instance. Of course I'm not saying all of them are like TR though.

Splinter Cell and MGS is also a good example. The fact that MGS was established before this gen. doesn't make it any less good then SC and the SC team gets credit for game play innovations and not creating a character called sam fisher.

Chrono

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
I disagree.

Well Ok I wasn't born then (or mabye I was.. O__o) so I don't know much but how many franchises from the atari days made it to the top selling charts for the PSX? Most of the games on this generation are based on the 8-bit ones. Gaming was more popular in japan when Nintendo saved the industry with the NES and games like Final Fantasy and Zelda showed up so the market for creating games/franchises was bigger in Japan and so the japanese pulled ahead.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What I find interesting is how dominating Nintendo is in terms of the software market. 28 out of the top 100 selling titles in the first half of the year in Japan were by Nintendo. 4 others were by the pokemon company. 32 games out of the top 100 were by Nintendo.

Yeah, Nintendo does make a lot of sequels, just like other devs. But Nintendo is making NEW games as well. Games like Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Wario Ware, Geist, Pikmin, Donkey Konga, and Animal Crossing. And, with Nintendo's sequels, they tend to try and add a huge new element to the games. Super Mario Sunshine's FLUDD, gimmicky or not, gave Sunshine a sense of freshness. The sailing in Wind Waker, even if it was tedious at times, brought something NEW to the table. Wario World is selling quite well, too. A nice little beat em' up.

Considering Nintendo's comments on the status of the japanese gaming industry, along with the huge market penetration, as well as the experience, which Nintendo has in Japan, it's pretty easy to see where they're coming from. Now, I'm not saying Nintendo is perfect. They release several mario party games, although the fact that the minigames are so varied makes them seem like completely different games.

The next few years, with the introduction of the DS and the Revolution, IMO, will represent a critical point in the evolution of the gaming industry. I think that, much more than we think at this moment, Nintendo is changing the direction of the industry, they're leading by example, and they're going to make it better than it's ever been before.

And yes, I am a Nintendo fanboy. ;)

Teddman

Chrono said:
And so what? I don't get this attitude.
That's because you are talking game quality, and I'm talking about sales.

The overall point of the article cited in this thread being that sequels to existing franchises are the only things consistently selling on a worldwide basis for Japanese developers. Western devs are having greater global success with new intellectual properties this generation.

Chrono

Banned
Teddman said:
That's because you are talking game quality, and I'm talking about sales.

The overall point of the article cited in this thread being that sequels to existing franchises are the only things consistently selling on a worldwide basis for Japanese developers. Western devs are having greater global success with new intellectual properties this generation.

And what sells games? quality.

Yes a lot of bad games sell and marketing and big names also helps, but the MAIN reason 90% or 80% of the top selling games are at the top is because of quality. Just see the post above your about Nintendo. ;)

jarrod

Banned
Teddman said:

Starfi is brand new, if you're talking IPs. There's also Viewtiful Joe (platform-ish), Billy Hatcher and Blinx, all of which sold decently.

Besides, outside SCEA's hugely advertised platform trio of Jak, Rachet and Sly, I'm not seeing much in terms of decently performing new western platformers. And truth is, any game would sell notably if given the sometimes year long agressive marketing campaigns those games enjoyed. Maybe Maximo could be another example, but then again that's based off GnG and had significant Japanese input.

Pellham

Banned
I don't see how one japanese professor's claim that video games retard brain development means anything. There's already been studies that prove that video games increase your eye-hand reflexes, which is a good thing (and also why the military uses proprietary video games for training). Unless he means that it only affects small children, in which case big deal since most kids don't become interested in video games until they are in their early teens.

jarrod

Banned
Deg said:
Like? I think all of them flopped in Japan.
I'd like to know all these hugely successful new western IPs also. I see mostly sequels and licenses selling on both sides of the pacific...

Miburou

It would be interesting to see the size of both markets (in dollar terms), and then compare them relative to the sizes of the two countries (Japan and the US).

cvxfreak

Miburou said:
It would be interesting to see the size of both markets (in dollar terms), and then compare them relative to the sizes of the two countries (Japan and the US).

Heh, with the inconsistent pricing in Japan, I don't think its possible. =/

Its better to compare Japan to California in terms of geography, or if you want population, California and Texas and New York and maybe even a small state and see which one comes out on top. My guess would be Japan for the former and a close race for the latter.

Outsold by the Quebecois. Japan should hang its head in national shame.

^^^^

What's the fuck's his problem?

Can't he recognize the fact that they are FUCKIN awesome developers in quebec?

This quote is an insult to quebecers and Japanease alike.

border

I think it's funny how the author talks about Onimusha as a series that has seriously faltered, and still holds up SSX as a properly created-and-maintained franchise from Western developers. Its sales were arguably propped up by its status as a near-launch title for PS2, just as much as Onimusha's were. In case nobody checked, SSX3 sold pretty poorly.....it's slide from the original to the second sequel is probably just as big as Onimusha.

Top Bottom