• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess |OT| Misogynistic Cake

Dragon

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
I've had very limited time to play this game so far since I've been working so much but I'm 0/5 when searching for matches. I always time out and get returned to the main menu.

Are you doing the quick match option? I've never connected that way (0/3) but if I choose the various game parameters I connect every time.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
TheBranca18 said:
Are you doing the quick match option? I've never connected that way (0/3) but if I choose the various game parameters I connect every time.
That's because you're hosting.

GQman2121

Banned
autobzooty said:
The princess glitched off the map while I was playing and our team lost. She was no where to be found....weird glitch.

Last night during are epic Gaf game, the red team didn't have any worker hats appearing for the second half of the battle. Not sure if that was a glitch or by design, but it was odd.

I just got home, so I'm going to shower up and eat. But I'm all about playing if people are around.

God this is stupid, I've just spend 15 minutes trying to connect to the GAF game but being thrown back to the main menu every time. It's nothing to do with it being full as well because there seems to be only 24 or 25 players for half of the time.

vehn

Zek said:
That's because you're hosting.

there is a way to look for specific game modes etc... without hosting a game

KingCrow said:
Anybody know how to get the death robe and scythe?? I've seen it some dudes have it in between games.

have to be #1 in points on the winning team. If you are #1 in points on the losing team, then you become a giant chicken that can kill as fast as the reaper :lol :lol :lol

JimFear

Banned
netguy503 said:
Well, it was just sent to Sony. Could still take 2-3 weeks to go live (especially if it's not just the US having problems).
Im not sure about your 2-3 weeks but a couple of days for sure

Titan said:
The matchmaking system will randomly pick potential servers bases on a number of criteria. As implemented, the results that are returned are fit in some regards, but sometimes have a high ping for your location. As a result, some players may be having a great experience, and others dealing with substantial lag. Leaving a particularly laggy game and joining a new one may result in a better experience. Unfortunately, it can be luck of the draw. The fix we have in testing returns a list of potential servers in such a way that it always favors the lowest available pings.

I CANNOT POSSIBLY THINK OF A SIMPLER FUCKING WAY TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

Glad to hear that the fixes are underway. I haven't yet played in a giant game with players coordinating teamwork, so I can't really give too informative of analysis, but I too feel like the towers need to have end-game incentive for capture. I wasn't aware however that you could gain a heart back at them, or that you could "go inside them" (how do you do that? I have only accidentally gone on top of them when putting in resources and figured it was a glitch).

Not sure about the catapult you can build to launch waves into the enemy castle either... it seems like games will end up turning into sending wave after wave over via catapult instead of siegeing the castle. I really think that after death, along with a longer respawn timer (10 seconds maybe?) the map should show up on the screen and you should have an option to choose a spawn point based on your captured towers. That makes a lot more sense and would add more strategy and incentive for capturing and holding towers in the late-game, as well as help prevent stalemates. Another possible way to do it is to have the respawn timer be directly associated with the number of capture points your team has. The more towers occupied by your team, the shorter your respawn timer is, while the fewer you have the longer. That would also help prevent stalemates; encourage defending towers late game; and keep games from going too long. I personally prefer the first option, though, with choosing your spawn locations based on occupied towers.

I also read an idea earlier in the thread that seemed like a no-brainer once I read it. The map should have fog of war, and the towers should reveal the area around them to the team controlling them showing enemy positions instead of the map just completely revealing everything to both teams at all times. I really hope Titan Studios will consider ideas like these since after all the classes are upgraded there really is no real need to capturing towers.

All in all a very fun game that I imagine will be EXTREMELY fun once I play with fellow gaffers who know what they are doing. I'll probably be on later on today, and Drame, I sent you a friend request earlier and it didn't say your list was full (that I could remember) so I'm hoping you got that (Leonidas2123).

Been only playing local games with bots but have been really enjoying the game. Wrapped up the single player story and that was fun. :D Once i learned the power of the "push up on the d-pad" things got a lot easier as i'd have a mob of people taking outposts or getting the princess

And those credics... :lol Very funny.

Also all the taunts of the game are amusing

Drame

GAF Game is offically offline , for now. More games possibly later

Too bad that last game bugged, but it's always nice to rack up points from time to time. :D

Good games everyone, we had pretty even teams, really though battles.

And big thanks to TelemachusD for hosting the game!

JimFear said:
according to the titan website fixes coming
http://titanstudios.com/blog/

Great news! Server list should be the top priority, but guilds would be a really great add on!

Of course, class balancing should be up there too. It's stupid that area of effect spells give you 10 points, per target. Almost every game ends up a ice mage playground, and I'm part of the problem, I play ice mage too.

I would love a change which would lower the amount of points from 10 to 1 per target. That way there wouldn't be so many dark priests and ice mages running around.

And my apologizes to the players, who didn't get the invite to the chat room again. We were pretty full from the start, and withouth a second announcer handling 2 chat rooms is quite hard.

There really should be an player limit upgrade to the chat rooms.

Alex

Princess vanishes often, hat machines stop working, have seen mineral nodes cease to respawn and I even saw a drawbridge cease to work earlier.

All of that on top of latency and connection problems everywhere. This is the worst game launch I've seen since like... a late 90's PC game. :lol

It's fun, when it works, but this thing should seriously still be in beta.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Alex said:
Princess vanishes often, hat machines stop working, have seen mineral nodes cease to respawn and I even saw a drawbridge cease to work earlier.

All of that on top of latency and connection problems everywhere. This is the worst game launch I've seen since like... a late 90's PC game. :lol

Glad I didn't jump in for once. Will wait to see if they fix this shit

Alex said:

You obviously missed a lot of problematic launches, like Gears 2.

Alex

xenorevlis said:
You obviously missed a lot of problematic launches, like Gears 2.

Well, I don't play every game that comes out, but the only game I've had problems with in years like this was 1943 on 360, which took about a day after I bought it and begun my bitching to fix.

I will be seriously annoyed if this game remains in this alpha state for WEEKS longer. This is really ridiculous.

LO, and you people kept bitching about wanting it out sooner!?!

I never, ever want any game out sooner myself. Maybe it's just me but I've still got lots of PS3 and 360 games to mow through, especially now that we're in the part of the lifespans where price drops and the such occur often.

Loudninja said:
So I guess some of you just going to ignore the other impressions :lol

Game impressions mean nothing when you can't even connect to a single game. I'm 0/5. I'm very busy lately and don't have time to fiddle fuck around. I just want to play the game.

SapientWolf said:
Or, more recently, BF1943 on the 360.

BF1943 didn't have a beta either.

Alex

SapientWolf said:
Or, more recently, BF1943 on the 360.

Fixed for me about a day after release, and they went back in and hotfixed squad issues too.

If Fat Princess does this, great. It'd be nice to not spend twenty minutes trying to connect to a single, lag filled game and have hat machines break and a princess vanish.

Drame

Damn you KilgoreTrout!

I was so close!

farmingwithicemagesisseriousbusines.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow you can join us, you cheap bastard! :D

Alex

If you wanna rack up leaderboard stuff, then play a Frost Mage and spam your AoE. Every single leader in every game I've played is always a Frost Mage. :lol It really shouldn't award points for just freezing folks like that.

Llyranor

Didn't think I'd get into it, but brother picked it up, so I gave it a spin. After a few hours, impressions are pretty positive. Game's a lot of fun, gameplay's hectic and fast-paced, but still remains very team-oriented. I pretty much like all the classes, and the maps I've played so far have been fun. Can't say I've really had any connection problems.

Drame

Alex said:
If you wanna rack up leaderboard stuff, then play a Frost Mage and spam your AoE. Every single leader in every game I've played is always a Frost Mage. :lol It really shouldn't award points for just freezing folks like that.

Check the name of the image ;)

Gigglepoo

Quick question - it seems like you get bonus items for 3 of the classes. Upgrading the Mage gives you the chicken potion, Worker gives super bombs, and Ranger lights the torches. Do you get any bonuses for upgrading Priests or Warriors?

Forgot about BF1943 on 360. Own the PS3 version. Beta testing server load and testing a bug tracking is a completely different process. I'm sure BF and Gears 2 had extensive online testing at their respective quality assurance locations. Still, shit happens.

Ratchet and Clank Future + GTA4 also had some really odd day 1 issues that didn't even allow certain people to install or play under specific circumstances (like PS3 model / firmware / HDD %)

Ice mages are pretty crazy. At the end of the last game I was in the center tower as a priest with a worker next to me tossing bombs down, and devizzel (not sure of spelling) was below me racking up points like crazy freezing 4 or 5 guys every couple seconds for at least 2-3 minutes straight. I healed him constantly and the worker slowly wore down all the frozen enemies. I checked the score right after that and he had shot all the way to first.

You really shouldn't get 10 points per enemy per freeze when you can charge it in 2 seconds. Priests get only one point at the lowest charge, and still only 9 at the highest 10-12 second charge. I didn't notice priests getting ANY points from draining enemies.

Dragon

Banned
Alex said:

You can make a killing as a priest too. I actually like the priest because once it's upgraded it's a really great dynamic class. You bring two priests, with a worker, a ranger, and two warriors and you can get the princess if you do it right almost every time.

The thing that made me LOL on launch day was the fact that people are either braindead or I'm playing with a lot of bots :), I used the catapult to get the princess two times in a row (and almost a third time), all their guys were out trying to upgrade their classes :)

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
autobzooty said:
The princess glitched off the map while I was playing and our team lost. She was no where to be found....weird glitch.
Wow, that glitch was in the beta too. I can't believe they didn't fix it in the final version. That glitch kills a match. I can't imagine what will ensue when people figure out how to do it on purpose.

Man I fucking love this game. The combat is so simple but so deep. Fighting the bots is soo fun for me and I've had very little trouble getting into good online matches through the quick match or any other option.

If you are having internet problems and you want a permanent fix, no fucking around with static IPs and DMZs, and no more bullshit: Phone Your ISP and ask how many IP Addresses you have (I had two on one router, you only need 1 per router), if you have 2 or more you can buy a switch and set your network up like this:
Code:
                   -----------------------PS3 (NAT 1)
                /
Modem----Switch          -----------Laptop (NAT 2)
                \      /
                  Router
                       \
                         --------------PC (NAT 2)
I did this for Guns Of The Patriots Online. Now that's fucking tactical.

snack

It's nice to see Titan Studios coming out with a patch soon. Recently, I've been having a lot of problems trying to connect to online games. But hopefully this will all change with that new patch!

Corto

Finished the single player story and venture in to one online game... My team won! Yay... Superfun, intermitent lag but not game breaking, and I'm sure I will play some more in the next weeks...

Also my team had the same problem that someone reported before that the worker hat machine stopped making them after some time... Didn't understand why. Because the machines were all upgraded and the princess fattened to the max? Don't know...

Top Bottom