• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fat Princess |OT| Misogynistic Cake

FINALLY. Played the game and connected to a server 100% of the time, this weekend. Lots of fun, my god when you're up against a well-coordinated team the game can be challenging. :D

I know this is stupid but how do you talk in this game? My brother and I both had mikes and we couldn't hear either other. In the controls it doesn't say anything about a button press.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
purnoman3000 said:
I know this is stupid but how do you talk in this game? My brother and I both had mikes and we couldn't hear either other. In the controls it doesn't say anything about a button press.
You have to press and hold R2 to speak.

Sentry said:
At this point, especially with smaller releases like this, I expect games with an online compnent to have issues if a seemingly large number of people are picking it up on launch, it's a given by now.. you just hope the dev give a damn enough to get down to the issue and fix it within the first week or two.. thankfully they did with Fat Princess. :D

I think from this point onward, I'm not going to be a day one buyer anymore and I'll let everyone else be the guinea pig. I'm going to be a day one patch buyer from now on.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
KillJade said:
Pretty clear you don't even own SOCOM, because it's working 100% of the time for me.

But how much of that is because no one really plays SOCOM?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Has the patch made the game better or are we still looking at Gears 2 scenario of multiple patches being needed to balance the game and such?

Drame

F#A#Oo said:
Has the patch made the game better or are we still looking at Gears 2 scenario of multiple patches being needed to balance the game and such?

The patch has made the game a lot better, but there are still few things which need patching and tweaking.
Like server list / lobby and couple bug fixes, but hopefully we'll see another patch soon.

The game is a lot enjoyable now, than when it was released anyway.

Personally, I'm waiting for the European patch, and then I'll start playing again. Also I have some work stuff to do again, pff.
Hopefully, in the end of the week we can get the GAF Games going on again.

Pallaris

Anyone else experience random stutter/game pausing? Even happens at the title screen and credits. Reminds me of wipeout HD's stutter bug (network poling). Its annoying.

Finaly got able to join an online game !

... But it was so laggy... I was getting sliced buy warriors from the other corner of the screen !

F#A#Oo

Banned
Drame said:
The patch has made the game a lot better, but there are still few things which need patching and tweaking.
Like server list / lobby and couple bug fixes, but hopefully we'll see another patch soon.

The game is a lot enjoyable now, than when it was released anyway.

Personally, I'm waiting for the European patch, and then I'll start playing again. Also I have some work stuff to do again, pff.
Hopefully, in the end of the week we can get the GAF Games going on again.

Cheers!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://titanstudios.com/blog/2009/08/patch-roundup-loser-hosts-team-balance/
Since I’m posting about good sportsmanship, here’s another trend in the wrong direction – players are switching teams to be on the winning team. This results in more than a few games where teams are imbalanced. One side will have 15 humans, and the other side 6. Go figure – the humans win. Not so fun. We’ll be looking at this one in the near future, too.
Well, it does say "Team sucks? Press 'X' to switch teams!" right after you lose. It's encouraged by ingame protips.

*rollseyes* :lol

Yeah, just played for 2 games and I can't stress enough how god damn addicting this game is. :lol I can play for hours upon hours and not get bored.

Moobabe

Psykotik said:
the people on those boards are morons. socom plays fine and is one of the most played games on PSN, beating out killzone 2 and resistance 2 even.

Is that Avril Lavigne in your avatar? If so when did she get hot?! Also, maybe in the wrong thread for this but, is socom worth getting and is it shareable?

Dre

Moobabe said:
Is that Avril Lavigne in your avatar? If so when did she get hot?! Also, maybe in the wrong thread for this but, is socom worth getting and is it shareable?
1. Yes
2. Photoshop
3. Yes, if you like SOCOM games, community is also very active
4. Yes, it has the 24h lock though

OldJadedGamer said:
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32316148

That's only because the game is $10. Sony pulled a "Wiiplay" with this game. I'd be surprised how many people would have bought the game sans official headset.
So you'll call a jabra headset at full value, but not the game lol. The PSN release did very well on it's own, mostly because tons of Socom players already had headsets.

spwolf

OldJadedGamer said:
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32316148

That's only because the game is $10. Sony pulled a "Wiiplay" with this game. I'd be surprised how many people would have bought the game sans official headset.

i would suppose that many people would have as it is one of the most active PSN games (most active Sony published game) and people not interested in game wouldnt fuck with it year later. In fact most of those people just sold it on ebay.

Even now, Socom has more players that Wowhawk did at its best.

im sorry i thought i was in a Fat Princess thread... O__O

in other news: a few of my friends have had zero luck with the patch. it's as if it didn't even patch at all. can't connect to anything, hosting games = playing by themselves with bots. friends can't even join a friend slot. this is the kind of game i REALLY want to play with friends, so hope another fix is on the way.

Have you ever seen a player with a glowing white aura around them? This is the Holy Shield, which absorbs any amount of damage from a single attack. You can create a Holy Shield by using a Priest to heal your teammates to above 100% health for a few seconds. The Holy Shield can be used in many different ways to make your attacks more devastating and effective! Any ideas? BooOOoOM!
Ahahaha, I HAVE to try this! Sounds so awesome, especially in death match. Not having to throw the bomp and Hope it hits, but BE the bomb! So much fun! :D

Edit: Wait. How would you light the bomb? =/

j-wood

Quick question about sharing over the psn, although it may be a stupid question. I purchased fat princess, and shared it with my brother's psn account.

The stats and stuff won't be linked right? As in, if he goes to play on his ps3, his stats are his stats and not mine correct?

noah111

Still Alive
j-wood said:
Quick question about sharing over the psn, although it may be a stupid question. I purchased fat princess, and shared it with my brother's psn account.

The stats and stuff won't be linked right? As in, if he goes to play on his ps3, his stats are his stats and not mine correct?
Yup, all of his online stats are tied to him, not your PS3 or your PSN, but his PSN account. Not sure about the 'single player' progress though, but either way that is not a big deal and probably could be transfered via USB/memory card. Trophies are also tied to his PSN.

Dreavus

I think I'm starting to warm up to this game a bit. Played a bunch of games with a friend this time and it was way more fun. I have yet to get my headset repaired/replaced, but it's still better having someone else lookout for you and vice versa. All of the crazy shenanigans you can do with another player are so awesome. :lol And at one point both princesses switched castles not once, but twice. This game is amazing when the teams are equally matched. :D

One thing I think the game might need to address is the whole "catapults go directly to the other base" thing. On that one lava themed map, there's the cool "magma flow" dynamic which breaks people into little squads early game, but that all pretty much goes out the window once it's late game and the catapults are up.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun and hilarious to launch a squad into the other castle all carrying bombs like madmen, but it kind of feels like the rest of the map doesn't matter anymore. All the fighting takes place inside both castles because people are constantly launching themselves into each other's bases. Maybe the catapult could launch progressively farther and farther across the map until the final launch puts you right inside their walls, and then resets to a shorter distance again. That way you still get those crazy doom squads that everyone loves, but then people can't just ignore the rest of them map while they exclusively use the catapult to get to and from bases.

Then again, maybe it's intended so games can actually end. I don't know, just something I noticed while playing. :p

F#A#Oo

Banned
I think I might end up getting this once they patch it a couple of more times. (It's what I estimate it will take to fix it to the point I would be happy)

I played this yesterday at a friends (PAL FP) and we had all sorts of problems...

Hopefully when I get this game the community will still be around...

noah111

Still Alive
F#A#Oo said:
I think I might end up getting this once they patch it a couple of more times. (It's what I estimate it will take to fix it to the point I would be happy)

I played this yesterday at a friends (PAL FP) and we had all sorts of problems...

Hopefully when I get this game the community will still be around...
If I may ask... what are the problems you experienced?? I'm starting to wonder if it's a PAL thing only now, me and my friends have no problems whatsoever after the patch, and the only problems we had prior were obviously connecting into a game but then we were set, every once in a while the game we joined might have been pretty laggy but other than that it was fine.

No45

I'm waiting for the patch personally, but a colleague at work has it and has had very few connection or lag problems (UK). He's thoroughly chuffed with it so far. ^_^

sca2511

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
im sorry i thought i was in a Fat Princess thread... O__O

in other news: a few of my friends have had zero luck with the patch. it's as if it didn't even patch at all. can't connect to anything, hosting games = playing by themselves with bots. friends can't even join a friend slot. this is the kind of game i REALLY want to play with friends, so hope another fix is on the way.
had this problem until I setup a DMZ for my PS3.

Sentry said:
If I may ask... what are the problems you experienced?? I'm starting to wonder if it's a PAL thing only now, me and my friends have no problems whatsoever after the patch, and the only problems we had prior were obviously connecting into a game but then we were set, every once in a while the game we joined might have been pretty laggy but other than that it was fine.

The patch isn't out here is it? In that case it probably is a PAL thing only for now.

LiquidJin

Banned
Dreavus said:
I think I'm starting to warm up to this game a bit. Played a bunch of games with a friend this time and it was way more fun. I have yet to get my headset repaired/replaced, but it's still better having someone else lookout for you and vice versa. All of the crazy shenanigans you can do with another player are so awesome. :lol And at one point both princesses switched castles not once, but twice. This game is amazing when the teams are equally matched. :D

One thing I think the game might need to address is the whole "catapults go directly to the other base" thing. On that one lava themed map, there's the cool "magma flow" dynamic which breaks people into little squads early game, but that all pretty much goes out the window once it's late game and the catapults are up.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun and hilarious to launch a squad into the other castle all carrying bombs like madmen, but it kind of feels like the rest of the map doesn't matter anymore. All the fighting takes place inside both castles because people are constantly launching themselves into each other's bases. Maybe the catapult could launch progressively farther and farther across the map until the final launch puts you right inside their walls, and then resets to a shorter distance again. That way you still get those crazy doom squads that everyone loves, but then people can't just ignore the rest of them map while they exclusively use the catapult to get to and from bases.

Then again, maybe it's intended so games can actually end. I don't know, just something I noticed while playing. :p

Got to bring your RTS skills to the table. Catapults are expensive, well more expensive then bombs. Blow up the other teams catapult and force them to use the rest of the map and farm more wood.

Dre

bestami said:
I hate the waiting time between games. Why the hell we need one minute between every single game.
To cheer with your team, to re-balance the teams, to speak with the opposite teams about the game, to vote (& discuss) for the new maps, to say goodbye if you're leaving ...

Is there a limited amount of people who can catapult at one time? I always have problems where the catapult goes off but I am still standing there. It really is annoying.

Oh and why is no one playing this? Add me if you wanna play. look in my profile for the psn name.

bestami

Dre said:
To cheer with your team, to re-balance the teams, to speak with the opposite teams about the game, to vote (& discuss) for the new maps, to say goodbye if you're leaving ...
I've never played a multiplayer game which i have to wait one minute between rounds. I've played this game for like six hours now and i've only heard one person talk. And you only need ten seconds to vote. Since it is not that easy to get into a smooth game. I just want to play as much as i can before i get booted out.

Dre

Then you were unlucky to get into a game with basically no mics and since you mention connection issues I presume you have the EU version which hasn't been patched yet.
The US version post patch runs fine now and those 60sec between games are a great way to coordinate the next match (balancing and choosing the next map especially), personally I wouldn't like to miss that.

How long do games go on usually? I was playing online and was in the same game for 30 minutes, and nothing was happening, we got their princess but the game wouldnt end.

Top Bottom