• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order |OT| That's Hell You're Walking Into

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azusa

That all said even FEH doesn't just chase whales. It goes after dolphins too considering it has a 6% SSR rate.

I'm not convinced a 1% rate makes more money than a 6% rate tbh.

6% rate to get a hero with trash IV. What a generous game.

I mean Super Mario run didn't crash and burn. It sold pretty well but they never added more content past the original release so of course it wouldn't make anywhere near as much. Its comparing a service game to a once and done kind of game. Not to mention how long it took Android, the biggest mobile OS, to even get the game.

That all said even FEH doesn't just chase whales. It goes after dolphins too considering it has a 6% SSR rate.

FayGO spent it's entire first year in the Top 5 grossing games in Japan and was #1 for awhile there after launch. They have made an unbelievable amount of money from this and Japan is the world's biggest market for mobile titles and is hyper-competitive with literally thousands of these sorts of games crowding their market space. Gacha pull rate isn't really how you measure the revenue potential from these games anyways.

FEH doesn't make nearly as much money, I think it's like #126 worldwide or something modest like that.

Zafir

6% rate to get a hero with trash IV. What a generous game.
Lol not saying it's good. Still better than 1% rates.

I've at least gotten shit from that game some with bad ivs and some with good.

Compare that to ffbe also with 1% rates where I got 2 base 5 stars from normal pulls (non guaranteed) in a year. That's diabolical.

FayGO spent it's entire first year in the Top 5 grossing games in Japan and was #1 for awhile there after launch. They have made an unbelievable amount of money from this and Japan is the world's biggest market for mobile titles and is hyper-competitive with literally thousands of these sorts of games crowding their market space. Gacha pull rate isn't really how you measure the revenue potential from these games anyways.

FEH doesn't make nearly as much money, I think it's like #126 worldwide or something modest like that.
We were talking about the worldwide market though. 1% perhaps does work in Japan. I meant I'm not convinced outside of that.

Either way, from a non business perspective, it's shit for non- whales. I don't mind dropping a bit of money on things I like but it's not happening on 1% rates.

T-Rex.

Banned
Either way, from a non business perspective, it's shit for non- whales. I don't mind dropping a bit of money on things I like but it's not happening on 1% rates.
That's why you wait for the paid gachas where you're guaranteed a SSR! Although it's usually class specific, and if you decide to roll in the Archer class gacha (for example) then you can't in the others iirc.

In F/GO if you roll a 5* that's it, you're set.

In FEH if you roll a 5* with shit IVs all you can do is cry.

Azusa

We were talking about the worldwide market though. 1% perhaps does work in Japan. I meant I'm not convinced outside of that.

Good thing about FGO that you don't need to drop a cent to enjoy the game unlike FEH where you need new heroes to complete quests/ compete in arena.

Zafir

That's why you wait for the paid gachas where you're guaranteed a SSR! Although it's usually class specific, and if you decide to roll in the Archer class gacha (for example) then you can't in the others iirc.
Yeah. Sounds interesting.

My past experience with 1% rates was FFBE and that game just really soured me on it. It also required specific heroes for events like FEH does. First guaranteed banner took a year to appear too.

Hopefully fates will be better. Admittedly my luck on it is already better than ffbe but not sure that'll last lol.

SeanTSC

A friend of my started tonight and on his first pull he got 5* Altria (his favorite Fate character by far) and Kaleidoscope. That hurt after it took me 31 to get Altrea and I wanted Waver. ><

chrono01

This is the only time I plan to spend money. Here's hoping they release them at a decent pace, but I'm guessing we'll only likely get it maybe twice a year or something, and never for limited-time units.

Oh well, just have to hope I get lucky along the way!

Azusa

This is the only time I plan to spend money. Here's hoping they release them at a decent pace, but I'm guessing we'll only likely get it maybe twice a year or something, and never for limited-time units.

Yeah, they did guaranteed gacha on anniversary and new year only.

Kenai

This is my thoughts as well. I don't mind spending a little bit of money for a surefire 5* when I am not spending any before then and I am wasting as much time on this game as I am (and it's fun too). They can get a few bucks out of me (just a few damnit). I'd desperately like a slightly more varied character creator (without eyes like this 0_0, not expecting KH:U or anything) but what can I say.

Sciel

Anyone need a 48 Jeanne (lol) with NP2 as support? need to fill up my friends list (or anyone wanna be friends?).

My ID is : 003,160,189.

Zafir

Anyone need a 48 Jeanne (lol) with NP2 as support? need to fill up my friends list (or anyone wanna be friends?).

My ID is : 003,160,189.
Added you.

Yeah same.

chrono01

I found a release schedule for gatcha/characters on Reddit, of when characters were added in the Japanese version. It should give us an idea on when to expect certain characters or, at least, the order in which we'll get them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...hqaMCpVT9gEyL82ihM98PZEG0/edit#gid=1747575292

It looks like I'll spend my hoarded SQ for Gilgamesh when he arrivs (just because my account is new, and could use more Servants as well as CE), and then save until Halloween hits.

Uthred

I got all 3 perfect versions of the 3 FS/N kids in one pull. What a neat coincidence.

I assume there useful, 25% bonus to cards sounds good on paper, maybe not Kaledescope good.

Also man, I'm kind of sad those awesome designs are wasted on craft essences, I would have loved to see them as pseudo servants. Well Shirou and Sakura anyway.

Honestly for longer fights I find the +25% ones to be superior to Kaleidoscope. Kaleidoscope is nice for an opening burst but after that doesnt really add much.

Quonny

I found a release schedule for gatcha/characters on Reddit, of when characters were added in the Japanese version. It should give us an idea on when to expect certain characters or, at least, the order in which we'll get them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...hqaMCpVT9gEyL82ihM98PZEG0/edit#gid=1747575292

It looks like I'll spend my hoarded SQ for Gilgamesh when he arrivs (just because my account is new, and could use more Servants as well as CE), and then save until Halloween hits.
Looks like I'm not spending a single Quartz until Christmas.

Shinypogs

What does the orange circle with a number in it above my summon tab mean? Elsewhere it shows me how many quests are in a location/ how many messages or presents I have etc but it doesn't correlate to anything in regards to summoning that I can tell.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think there are a couple of things people are missing and I want to help enlighten the reality of the situation. If you already knew this, great. If you didn't, I hope this helps a bit.

First thing is first, I want to bring some clarity when comparing the type of Gacha that Fire Emblem Heroes has vs Fate/Grand Order. Let's talk about the featured heroes and rates for starters. People consistently bring up that FEH has higher rates for SSRs. This is actually a very moot point for a few reasons. The first being due to the pool. FEH has numerous heroes on their SSR rate ups. While they may have a dedicated 3% featured, this is in reality shared among other heroes. In addition, they are also competing for other heroes as well in the other pool. The way I like to see it, FEH is giving the illusion that you have better odds when in reality it's very similar to F/GO. Sure you can choose your orbs and what not, but for all intents and purposes, the goal of this design is to entice regular players and mild dolphins to spend a bit more money than they normally would. Additionally, this system makes in tandem with the IV system makes dolphining and mildwhaling actually quite annoying. Even if you get the specific hero you want, it ultimately might mean getting screwed by the IV system. Furthermore, there are characters in the pool that might get the 4* version when the banner goes away. FEH ultimately gives the players the illusion of control and higher chance of success in the ultimate hope of moneygrabbing from the lower end of the "spending spectrum" or even get the non-paying folk to pay for a little. Sadly, the amount of money these guys make up is probably minuscule or not much. The reality is that whales and mega whales will make up the majority of the driving profits for a game. This is pretty much a given. The system in FEH is actually quite annoying for the whales as they might be searching for a specific 5* and worse off, multiple copies of a 5*. Afterall, they're not here for simply getting a 5* but a specific 5*. F/GO on the other hand has its rate up but it's always with a single servant. Yes, the SSR rate is 1% and the featured rate up probably puts it at .55% of the 1%. However, this is very close to FEH than you'd think. If you're rolling for a specific character then the rates are very similar. Then what's the point? It's all about presentation. Whales might be less annoyed when whaling in F/GO than FEH. Think about it. Who wouldn't be annoyed when they get Jebaited into a 5* they didn't want and not only that but the rate up goes back to the original 3% in FEH. Whereas with F/Go, you know exactly what you're getting into. One tries to sugarcoat itself and the other is just brutally honest.

Second I want to bring up is gameplay. There is a necessity for 5* in FEH straight up and this is due to the multiplayer aspect. There is Arena which is ultimately the end-game goal for FEH. Upper echelons of Arena are going to be filled with whales and mega whales. These guys have an advantage straight up. There's only so much skill can get you when going against a +10 Hector with a +10 Ryoma and who knows what else. This means that the game necessitates that you PAY to WIN. The focus on gameplay in tandem with the gacha system will inherently create a divide. This actually doesn't happen in F/GO for two reasons. One the game doesn't have multiplayer. Two the game focuses on rolling for characters because you like them (with mild exceptions like Jeanne Alter and Merlin). F/GO is heavily reliant on its narrative elements to drive the game and therefore there is no divide. This means that no one feels burned for one person having an unfair advantage of P2W. It helps bring the community which most likely fuels for more revenue.

The last point I want to bring up is the sheer fanbase. Type-Moon fans, for all its good and bad, are extremely dedicated and not only that but they have quite the large fanbase. This means more revenue right. Well, if you actually think about all the things I said earlier in tandem with this then it means you take things a level beyond the usual norm. The people you would consider to be whales normally (like spending an obscene amount of money for that 5*) is probably a mega whale. I would personally classify people who go for 5* NP to be the whales of the game. Not the people who simply roll for the featured 5*.

Anyway, a lot of what I said is pretty obvious for the most part but I hope this was enlightening to some.

Sciel

Wow the 30 AP quest is so good. Managed to do it with a friend's Altria and it gave me almost 50% of my exp bar :D.

I've got a question, currently my main unit is Jeanne + Lu Bu. Should i replace Lu Bu with someone else...because he really is squishy.

I've got:

Siegfried (4*)
Stheno (4*)
Saber Lily lol (4*)
Marie (4*)
Martha (4*)
Medusa (3*)
Cu Caster (3*)
Robin Hood (3*)
Kiyohime (3*)
Jing Ke (3*)
Mephistopheles (3*)
...and all sorts of random 2* and 1*s.

Wish i could pull a Saber Alter, so tempted D:.

Draxal

Honestly, Heroes and FGO are quite different. People do pull in Fire Emblem heroes for their favorite, (I kinda thought part of Lucina's popularity is she is Seiba; she's Fire Emblem's Saber as Marth is Fire Emblem's Arthur).

I understand everybody is comparing FGO to Heroes, but I think the more apt comparison is to Granblue (and I understand getting into granblue is much harder than heroes internationally), and that's where I feel FGO is lacking a bit.

The one problem that isn't stated so much is that ... early FGO is kinda bad, and supposedly didn't hit its swing until six months in or so.

kayos90

Honestly, Heroes and FGO are quite different.

I understand everybody is comparing FGO to Heroes, but I think the more apt comparison is to Granblue (and I understand getting into granblue is much harder than heroes).

The one problem that isn't stated so much is that ... early FGO is kinda bad, and supposedly didn't hit its swing until six months in or so.

Well, yes. That's the point. I'm trying to shed light on what aspects make these two games quite different but at the same time quite similar.

Draxal

Well, yes. That's the point. I'm trying to shed light on what aspects make these two games quite different but at the same time quite similar.

Caught me preedit.

I do think that you are underestimating the appeal of some of the fire emblem characters, but yeah IV situation makes getting a good character in Fire Emblem a crapshoot.

However, in heroes you can rank some three/four stars to five stars (and some of the best characters are that in Nino/Cherche/Cordelia/Camus/Xander/Ursuala). However its also hurt by skill inheritance.

The games are superficially the same, but really quite different.

kayos90

Caught me preedit.

I do think that you are underestimating the appeal of some of the fire emblem characters

I'm not saying that FE characters are lacking appeal. Just saying that it pales in comparison to the Fate characters.

Uthred

I understand everybody is comparing FGO to Heroes, but I think the more apt comparison is to Granblue (and I understand getting into granblue is much harder than heroes internationally), and that's where I feel FGO is lacking a bit.

Comparing it to GBF seems like an even less apt comparison then comparing it to FEH. In GBF while getting a top tier character is nice in its no way essential as your grid determines the majority of your teams competency, similarly you also need a significantly larger number of characters (good old Rainbow meta). So while the base rates are higher and you have legendfest you need to "get lucky" far more often than you do in FGO where (well you dont need any 5* to clear the story but that aside) you "just" need to draw the character.

Really any comparison of gacha rates in isolation is meaningless, the context, in this case their particular games mechanics, needs to be addressed. That said, my main issue with low gacha rates is that it can be boring to use the same characters constantly, no matter how good they are.

Uthred

I know its just RNG, but did a few more re-rolls due to the extra 10 pull and had fairly good five star luck, which tempts me to roll on my main account. Where I know I'll get shite, gotta be strong till Gilgamesh shows up (then gotta be salty when I dont get him).

tbh all gacha is shit

Yep, basically this, its transparently a money milking mechanic

Zafir

Don't get me wrong I understand they're very different games. I only mentioned FEH because I was commenting on someone who brought up Nintendo's efforts.

For me higher rates are nice because I'm a collector. Honestly playing gacha games can be pretty depressing as a collector who doesn't whale. So really that's where my perspective is coming from. I'd be happier if you didn't have to gamble at all and everything was affordable but that's a pipe dream since gambling rolls in the money. :p

I think granblue does seem a more apt comparison because in that weapon grids mean more than getting the characters in most cases. Similar to FGO in the sense with people saying that you don't need the best 5*s for success.
tbh all gacha is shit
True enough. Its all exploitative.

Draxal

Comparing it to GBF seems like an even less apt comparison then comparing it to FEH. In GBF while getting a top tier character is nice in its no way essential as your grid determines the majority of your teams competency, similarly you also need a significantly larger number of characters (good old Rainbow meta). So while the base rates are higher and you have legendfest you need to "get lucky" far more often than you do in FGO where (well you dont need any 5* to clear the story but that aside) you "just" need to draw the character.

Really any comparison of gacha rates in isolation is meaningless, the context, in this case their particular games mechanics, needs to be addressed. That said, my main issue with low gacha rates is that it can be boring to use the same characters constantly, no matter how good they are.

Skill inheritance and Natures just don't exist in the two games compared to Heroes. Both of these games offer a much stronger narrative experience then Heroes, you're really only playing heroes if you're a. a fan of the ip or b. like arena. Yeah Granblue has Guildwars compared to FGO, but the games are just such a completely different experience.

tbh all gacha is shit

Well dying games gacha isn't that bad.

TBH its predatory as fuck, but gambling is fun.

kewlmyc

tbh all gacha is shit

You're not wrong, gambling sucks. This is going to be my 3rd gacha. At least this isn't PvP.

Also, rerolling got me a Zhuge Liang/Tamako Cat/Formal Craft account. I assume this is good enough to last me a while?

Also there was a website that described what beginning 4*s were good with pros and cons. Does anyone remember that website url?

Draxal

You're not wrong, gambling sucks. This is going to be my 3rd gacha. At least this isn't PvP.

Also, rerolling got me a Zhuge Liang/Tamako Cat/Formal Craft account. I assume this is good enough to last me a while?

Also there was a website that described what beginning 4*s were good with pros and cons. Does anyone remember that website url?

You're good, its probably on reddit. But Zhuge Liang is the unit that will be good forever (the one benefit of being a game that is way old compared to the JPN release).

T-Rex.

Banned
So I decided to roll on my tablet just to see what I could get with the extra quartz and I ended up rolling Jeanne and Altera. I kinda cba to go through the story missions again, but on the other hand, it's simple maths.. 2 waifus > 1. I'll have to add you guys again on the new account.

Edit: Actually I might just leave it and stockpile quartz for the Scatach/Drake rate-ups, idk.

MiTYH

So my week was busy last week, but I'm getting more into the game. Made it to Orleans and I'm chugging along. I've got questions of course due to information overload!

1. Enhancing a servant skill requires some blue orbs by class. Where's the best place to find them? I assume it's a daily event, just not sure which one
2. Ascension. Is there any downside? And also, which events give you these silver statue things?
3. Noble Phantasm, only way to upgrade is with a dupe, right?
4. Paringenesis. What is this? It says allows a servant to break max level cap, but I thought that's what ascension was doing? At least for my Jeanne it shows the max level going from 50 to 60, if I were to do it

Also, I've got a 5-star Jeanne Ruler class as my leader, so all friends here are welcome! 724,999,930

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So playing since launch, these are my best characters:

GHn3iTn.jpg

dYgAKZT.jpg

The first group is enough to beat the 40 AP daily with a good lvl 60 support, especially if the weapon affinity triangle is favorable. I don't have great options for Rider or Caster, so those guys are pretty much situational dependant (Hans aside anyway). Mash is Mash.

kayos90

So playing since launch, these are my best characters:

GHn3iTn.jpg

dYgAKZT.jpg

The first group is enough to beat the 40 AP daily with a good lvl 60 support, especially if the weapon affinity triangle is favorable. I don't have great options for Rider or Caster, so those guys are pretty much situational dependant. Mash is Mash.

Holy shit you played a fuckton.

sonicmj1

I guess I've played a lot. I cleared Septem and I've got a core group that's max level on Ascension 1, so even hitting up the ember daily doesn't seem to do a ton of good at this point.

Given how abysmal the material drop rates are in the Free quests (from my limited experience so far), does it even make sense to hunt for ascension/skill stuff, or should I start leveling some of the useful low * heroes I have like Medusa, Hassan, George, Leonidas, and Hans?

My core team right now:
4* Chevalier D'Eon
4* Elizabeth
4* Stheno
3* Ushiwakamaru (NP 3 or 4)
3* Medea (NP 2)
1* Arash (NP 5)

Arabesque

1. Enhancing a servant skill requires some blue orbs by class. Where's the best place to find them? I assume it's a daily event, just not sure which one

The most optimal drop location is certain dailies for those.

If you are looking for Saber/Archer/Lancer blue orbs, you need the Monster Hunting (Three Knights) quest that comes out every Thursday, and for Rider/Caster/Berserker/Assassin for the Friday Monster Hunting (Four Warriors) quest.

2. Ascension. Is there any downside? And also, which events give you these silver statue things?

No, there isn't a downside, since ascension is the way to bring the servants to their maximum potential and get their other artwork.

Similar with the materials, you get them from the Duel with the Four Warriors or Duel with the Three Knights at the daily quests.

3. Noble Phantasm, only way to upgrade is with a dupe, right?

Yes.

4. Paringenesis. What is this? It says allows a servant to break max level cap, but I thought that's what ascension was doing? At least for my Jeanne it shows the max level going from 50 to 60, if I were to do it

Paringenesis is unlocked for your servants after you max them through ascension. You would notice that once you max several servants, but servants ultimate natural level cap depends on their rarity. So for 1*s, they cap out at 60, 2*s at 65, 3*s at 70, 4*s at 80 and 5*s at 90.

Once you hit that level cap, ascension becomes impossible for servants unless you break it through Paringenesis. Like with ascension, you will need to first bring the servant to their max level, so for example 1* Arash to level 60, then by paying the QP cost and a Holy Grail, you will make it possible to further level Arash to level 70. After that, once you have Arash hit 70, you can use another Grail to take him to 75 (after the first grail on Bronze servants, it goes 5 extra levels per grail). It goes on like that until it caps at level 100, the max for all servants in the game.

As an aside, this is the use of the Holy Grail after obtaining it in each order, to further max out some of the units you use/like.

This is a game mechanic to allow your lower level servants a way to compete with the higher mid and end game content, since going through Paringenesis allows them to gain more ATK and HP, and stand a chance/become stronger and more useful in teams.

Arash for example already has one of the hardest hitting NPs in the game being a 1*, but bringing him up to 90 (the equivalent of a 5*) lets him become a boss killer with the right set up.

Of course, in terms of pure stats, not all servant that levels up in this manner can compete with the already higher rarities (outside of the outliers like Lu Bu, Arash in NP, Saber Alter in ATK and Siegfried in HP for example). But it also means that ones with really interesting or unique skills can be less squishy.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Rolled a Jeanne, woo! So I switched my "All" support from Marie to Jeanne. Still with Kaleidoscope but I think it's more useful to have a defensive NP charged quickly, right?

Seriously, don't bother upgrading any skill yet just to see it go from level 1 to level 2. The improvement for one level is miniscule, and it will take piles of rare materials and over a million QP just to get your first concrete benefit (1 turn shaved off the cooldown time) at level 6.

Play a while until you know the skill and the servant are one of your MVPs.

Wow the 30 AP quest is so good. Managed to do it with a friend's Altria and it gave me almost 50% of my exp bar :D.

I've got a question, currently my main unit is Jeanne + Lu Bu. Should i replace Lu Bu with someone else...because he really is squishy.

I've got:

Siegfried (4*)
Stheno (4*)
Saber Lily lol (4*)
Marie (4*)
Martha (4*)
Medusa (3*)
Cu Caster (3*)
Robin Hood (3*)
Kiyohime (3*)
Jing Ke (3*)
Mephistopheles (3*)
...and all sorts of random 2* and 1*s.

Wish i could pull a Saber Alter, so tempted D:.

I recommend either Marie or Martha (or both!)

Martha: Her skill after ascending is a debuff removal. So you can use it after Jeanne's NP to remove her self stun. Like Jean, she has 3 arts cards, so you'll be getting arts chains like crazy, meaning you can spam both their NP. Martha's own NP is pretty good, the raw damage is decent but the highlight is the DEF debuff which will improve the rest of your attacks.

Marie: Her NP has a debuff removal attached and a heal attached to it. Paired with Jean's you can restore a few thousand HP to your whole party.

The 3 of them will make a really tanky team, esp good for farming QP and the 40 AP Caster daily. It may take a few turns, but you'll grind it out since you are mostly unkillable unless totally outleveled (just make sure to save a Jeanne NP for a enemy NP turn)

On the other note, I cleared Orleans. The fights with the servants were fun, but there were too many with just trash mobs. Some were pretty hard too esp
Carmilla and Jeanne Alter
. I was having fun using low tier characters through it all, such as Mash, Saber Lily and Sasaki Kojirou, with a 60 Altera as the last hero just to play it safe, and she actually had to save the day twice. Really want a Jeanne of my own now (but will probably never get her unless I reroll). If Altera makes an appearance in Rome, I hope she's as great as Jeanne and Marie

elty

So no way to play this on multiple devices? Almost every games can do it without doing a transfer every single time. I use different device at work and home so it is a pain in the ass to do transfer like this.

Also - should I complete as many daily as possible to maximise mana prism, or they will become a non factor later on?

So no way to play this on multiple devices? Almost every games can do it without doing a transfer every single time. I use different device at work and home so it is a pain in the ass to do transfer like this.

Also - should I complete as many daily as possible to maximise mana prism, or they will become a non factor later on?

If you want Mana Prisms do the 30AP Exp Daily and burn the Silver Exp Cards (3*s) for Mana Prisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom