• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite D-list Comic Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

We all know how popular Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, Wolverine, and the rest of their A-list superhero ilk are. These are the household names, the merchandising giants, and the characters who get their own shows, cartoons, and spin-offs.

Then there are the characters that aren't quite as popular, but they're still big deals. Green Lantern may not make bank like Batman, but he's still a huge character. Same with The Flash, or Thor, or Batgirl, etc.

And then there are the D-listers. The heroes that never spring to mind and that the vast majority of general audiences have almost zero exposure to. There the ones beneath the C-listers, like Kick-Ass or the WILDC.A.T.S. - at least they had some prominence and were a big deal once upon a time.

For every Spider-man, there's a Speedball. For every Hulk, there's a Maxx. For every Batman, there's a Midnighter or Nightwatch. For every Superman, there's a Magnus: Robot Fighter.

I admit, I've always had a strange infatuation with many "lesser known or loved" heroes growing up. While I loved Wolverine and Batman, there were plenty that grabbed my attention and often transcended the popular choices.

These are a few of the ones that just remained locked in my psyche that I unabashedly adored.

th

AZRAEL
If you look at my avatar, not really a surprise.

In the realm of Batman support characters, Azrael is at least somewhat recognizable these days, but he's pretty far down the list. While most might know him from his Michael Lane incarnation in the Akrham series, it was the Jean-Paul Valley version that I fell in love with. Best known by Batman fans as the guy who took up Batman's mantle after Bane broke Bruce's back, and then failing so hard at being Batman that Bruce had to come back and take the title back from him, Azrael was created almost exclusively as a stunt character meant to refute all the fan demands that Batman be "darker" and kill his enemies like Wolverine or the Punisher. He was created to be hated, and fans hated him.

... Except for me. While the Knightfall series wasn't exactly great, the first 50 issues of his solo series was a phenomenal redemption arc for a man humbled by his failures and doing everything he can to prove to Bruce and the others that he could become a better hero, all while pitting him in direct confrontation with the Order of St. Dumas that created him. His design is pure 90's cheese of blades and fire - courtesy of an in-his-prime Joe Quesda - and the stories penned for him by legendary Batman writer Denny O'Neil were far better than any sub-standard Batman spin-off character deserved. I think the lingering hatred for him following Knightfall stunted any chances he might have gotten, but he's got a small but extremely loyal fanbase for the few that stuck with his solo series through its many ups and many more plentiful downs (those costume changes... yeesh).

0000000000000000000000.JPG

AZTEK
Created by certifiably insane Grant Morrison and Mark Millar, Aztek is the champion of the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl to battle their enemy, the Aztec god Tezcatlipoca, bestowed by the secretive Q Society upon their member, Uno, who sneaks into the United States under a deceased physician's identity and promptly joins the Justice League. So... you know, TYPICAL superhero backstory and all.

As is customary for every hero I ever grow to like, that tends to doom their chances. Aztek had a critically acclaimed - but seldom read - short series of comics, lasted four years, was killed off in the Justice League comic, and has only popped up since as a cameo in the Justice League cartoon every now and then. But, damn, if I didn't like what I read for that short period of time.

9bb4555c9fb02a5b659726f7533fbf91.jpg

MOON KNIGHT
Of all my favorite characters, Moon Knight probably has the most prestige and comic book recognition, if only because of Marvel's doggedness in ensuring he sticks around. To my knowledge, he's never had much commercial success and the vast majority of comic fans immediately dismiss him outright as just a Batman knock-off, which is pretty far from the truth.

Perhaps I just gravitate towards the "hooded vigilante" design, but Moon Knight is arguably the most fascinating, insane, and complex character in comics. He started off in HORROR comics as a VILLAIN, but was recast as a hero due to fan interest. So who is he?

Marc Spector is a rabbi's son who became a boxer, U.S. marine, and then mercenary-for-hire. He is hired for a job in Egypt which uncovers a temple of the Egyptian moon god Khonshu, where his mercenary partner betrays him and leaves him for dead. Khonshu comes to him in a vision and he is restored to life, wraps himself up in the silver shroud that covered Khonshu's statue, and seeks vengeance on the wicked as the Egyptian god's avatar.

He then promptly goes insane in all the most interesting of ways. For starters, he suffers from dissociative identity disorder and has multiple personalities he uses to fight crime: Marc Spector is the "normal" identity, Steven Grant is a rich millionaire persona used to fund his crimefighting, and Jake Lockley is a shady taxi cab driver that keeps his ears to the street and his pulse on the criminal element. These identities don't always get alone or know what the other is planning. Altogether, he's just so mentally unhinged and unpredictable that you have no idea which personality is in control at times, whether events you see happen are real or only in his imagination, and you never know how Moon Knight will reconcile the murders he committed in the past with the heroism and vengeance he pursues in the present. He's far more than a Batman knock-off, and I'm happy Marvel has stuck with him, often against reason and business sense. Now let's see if we can't get him his own Netflix series, eh, Marvel?

th

SPECTRE
... Okay, so I probably just like hooded cloaks.
"Both the embodied Avenging Wrath of the Murdered Dead and a brutal 1930s policeman named Jim Corrigan." That pretty much sums up what you're in for.

I haven't read as much of Spectre over the years, but I grew up with a very controversial comic character that was noted at the time for being relentlessly aggressive in avenging wrongful death, often having the villains meet terrifying and gruesome fates. As one of the creations of Superman-co-creator Jerry Siegel, with design by Bernard Baily, Specre has been a figure that haunted me (pun intended) throughout the 70s comic strips my uncle lent me growing up. He was like if EC comics had decided to create a horror hero in their line-up. He's often been one of DC's most powerful and supernatural heroes - right along with Doctor Fate, Deadman, and Constantine - but he's rarely singled out as anyone's personal favorite. Well, screw it, he was one of mine.

Didn't mean to turn into a history lesson, but I'm incredibly curious what alternative and off-brand heroes other people liked growing up or continue to cherish today, ones that to you eclipse the more popular and recognizable faces in comics and media currently out there.

Whether it's Manhunter, or Prime, or Devil Dinosaur, etc., I'm curious to know what surprising heroes or heroines stuck in your mind both then and now.

Garlador

I adore Blink. Is she D List?

surprise.jpg

My opinion on X-men characters is that if they show up in the movies, but have less than a minute of dialogue, they can count as "less popular".

... Blink still stole the whole damn show in Days of Future Past.
tumblr_n5jcwgo7zO1tyc7rko5_250.gif

Mupod

I liked how they represented Moon Knight in Marvel Heroes. Great voice work, a cool gameplay concept (gets stronger at low HP, hard to kill) and some fun quotes. He even comments on being a 'd-lister' when engaging Shocker.

Anyways as a kid my favorite superhero was Darkhawk. I was not aware until later in life that he was a Literally Who, I mean he showed up in crossovers and had his own series for quite some time. It's always fun to see him show up again in modern Marvel, even if he's kind of the butt of a running joke as a failed 90s 'cool' character. But if anything that's endearing in its own way.

Aztek I'll give you, but Moon Knight and Spectre as D-List? Please...

One of my favorites is Dead Girl from X-Statix

1514813-dontlikemyname.jpg

Her powers include... well... being dead. She can constantly reform her body or become ethereal. She can survive things that nobody else can and walk out of it just fine. In addition, she can communicate with the dead and even channel the spirits of the recently deceased. She also has boosted strength and speed. Heck, Dr. Strange even needed her help in the afterlife to thwart a big threat.

Tbh, other than Aztek, I don't know if I'd call any of those guys D list.

I'd make a collective nod towards the We Are Robin crew, sans maybe Duke who's moving up in the world. Fun characters.

Does Midnighter count?
midnighter-vs-12-orphans-4.png

Dude's a quarter step from Batfamily at this point. Easy B lister.

I think having Garth Ennis AND Warren Ellis AND industry golden child Bendis write you disqualifies you from ever being D-list, tbh. D-listers IMO don't even get solo's.

Slayven

Argus-DC-Comics-Bloodlines-Nick-Kelly-Kovac.jpg

Argus, he has the power to become unseeable in total darkness. Let me repeat that, no one can see him in total darkness. Like if you and him were in a room with no windows and no light, you would not be able to see him

Garlador

Tbh, other than Aztek, I don't know if I'd call any of those guys D list.

I'd make a collective nod towards the We Are Robin crew, sans maybe Duke who's moving up in the world. Fun characters.

Yeah, I was a bit iffy on some of them. Moon Knight has stuck around quite a bit, and Spectre's been around since the 40s. But when Moon Knight basically views himself in the same spotlight as The Shocker, and Spectre's crowd is more 40s era icons like Phantom Lady, Sandman, or Hourman, I think they just barely qualify. I can understand any arguments to the contrary. I mean, the last time he held his own series as nearly 20 years ago.
I think having Garth Ennis AND Warren Ellis AND industry golden child Bendis write you disqualifies you from ever being D-list, tbh. D-listers IMO don't even get solo's.
Plenty of D-listers get solos.

Three cheers for Metamorpho: The Element Man!

I don't consider Spectre D-List, at least in the comic world anyway. He's had at least four regular series, including one that lasted 63 issues, and another back when Hal Jordan was still the Spectre. The character's been very prominently featured throughout the DC universe.

Anyway, some of my favourite DC comic heroes or in this case teams include...

The Omega Men

250px-OmegaMen.jpg

I have a few issues of the older series. Good cosmic stuff. It's actually the series where Lobo made his debut, and former Green Lantern Green Man (at the time) was also a member for a while. The characters themselves debuted in the pages of Green Lantern.

There was also a short-lived series, which I didn't get to read sadly.

The Darkstars

latest

Another one of DC's forgotten cosmic teams. The Darkstars were created by the controllers, sorta as their answer to The Green Lantern Corps (yes a lot of these cosmic heroes go back to GL, but it's DC's biggest, and best cosmic concept ever, so it makes sense), they even had several GL members for a brief while, after Emerald Twilight, including John Stewart. The series was eventually cancelled both due to sales and because DC wanted to make Kyle Rayner the only person with GL like powers. Good series overall, and I liked seeing various alien lanterns outside of the regular GL comics, even if it was a year and a half book got cancelled.

The Eternals

220px-Eternals_v4.jpg

The Eternals are such an interesting concept, that I'm not surprised that Jack Kirby created them. Their basically his Marvel response to the New Gods, particularly with the Forever People. The whole storyline with the Deviants is very interesting, and it's a shame that The Eternals have never been able to hold a series for very long.

There's probably a few more I can think of, but those are the three that came to mind immediately.

Batwing could have been something decent if they'd made the effort.

OK WE'RE DOING BATMAN INC ITS A NETWORK OF BATMENS

here in gotham i'll have a team of 11 god damn people

Chief Man-of-Bats, you and your son protect your reservation

David, you protect All of Africa.

I love The Captain.

Don't know if he qualifies though, he was in Nextwave, and everybody has already read that .
You know, he was in Nova not too long ago. He touched on what he's been doing since Nextwave. It was awesome to see him again, even though the rest of the team seems to have more exposure.

Garlador

Argus, he has the power to become unseeable in total darkness. Let me repeat that, no one can see him in total darkness. Like if you and him were in a room with no windows and no light, you would not be able to see him

Reminds me of Invisible Boy.
th

He's only invisible if nobody is watching. Even if he opens his own eyes, he turns visible again.

Does Monica Rambeau count?
Ouch.

Wag

Wait. I remember Argus. Can Superman see him?

Oh, and Metamorpho is at least a B-List hero. He's one of the more powerful heroes in the DC stable- basically he can't die.

kmfdmpig

Most of the old JLI group, so Ted Kord, Booster Gold, Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner (is he C or D list though?), Mister Miracle, Big Barda, Rocket Red, Animal Man. Then from Birds of Prey Lady Blackhawk.
From Marvel - Silver Sable, Paladin, and Cloak and Dagger (not sure if they're C or D list).

PSqueak

Banned
I dunno if it counts as a D-lister, but i know it's an unpopular elseworld: Stan Lee's Batman.

I really liked the idea of Batman as a self made man rather than rich kid who inherited a company, also his backstory had that touch of comicbook cheesiness and whackiness (for example became a hulk hogan level wrestling star which is where his crime fighting money comes from), i really liked it.

I intended to pick it up especially since, at the time, it was going to reveal what had happened to Kyle Rayner after New Guardians, but I haven't been to the comic shop in a while. Guess I oughta get the trade paperback.

You really, really should. It's crazy good.

Cassandra Cain(Batgirl, Black Bat, Orphan)

Might be B/C-tier but DC sure treats her like she is F-tier.

Man she's on a team with Batman. Nobody on a team with Batman is getting anything less than the B list treatment.

Does Bloodshot count as D-list? Its a Valiant book.

All Valiant characters are D list or under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom