• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well the first episode probably scared a few people. Not in a good way

It was great I thought, maybe the mindless zombies who want walkers on the screen 24/7 with no character development.

The first episode didn't click for me because it's your typical broken family that will come together because of tragedy.

But episode 2 I like when the riot finally hits.
And Glen from Madmen is Right

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They count DVR recordings in this too right? By next week I'll certainly be watching football but will record this show for immediately afterwards. If they only count live numbers, the numbers will definitely go down when the regular season starts.

Those are the live + same day numbers, so DVR numbers are counted but only those from the same day as the episode aired.

Well the first episode probably scared a few people. Not in a good way

Ratings from episode 1 -> 2 almost always go down with every show.

Toa TAK

Banned
Drug kid needs a haircut.

But I'm still not feelin' him either. Though I could say the same for everyone on this show so far.

And oh Tobias, he should've bit the dust in this episode.

Barber Shop daughter was hot, though. So this episode is a win.

And I see we all caught the airplane, too? lol

ElTopo

Banned
Wow, it takes forever for anything in this show and every character is unlikable. Really hope this is cancelled.

You don't take 5 seasons with one show to get it to a point where we are far past the shock of zombies being a thing. Then go back to square 1 with another show. It just doesn't work.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Wow, it takes forever for anything in this show and every character is unlikable. Really hope this is cancelled.

You don't take 5 seasons with one show to get it to a point where we are far past the shock of zombies being a thing. Then go back to square 1 with another show. It just doesn't work.
Wow. I disagree with this post so much. I feel like it's incredibly suspenseful because I've started to really enjoy a lot of the characters – they seem like actual human beings still – and I know what the walkers can do to them having seen the main series. Seeing the outbreak is fascinating, in my opinion.

Geist-

I thought the riot was pretty cool, the commercial made me think it was just zombies that made them run into that barber shop.

I still really hope that it differs from vanilla TWD in that society doesn't fall apart completely. Something like World War Z (the book) would be really awesome, large population centers fall but there are remote safe zones setup by the government (I believe WWZ had the remainders of the government hiding out in the Rockies? The California desert might work just as well).

Most of these apocalypse movies/shows just have society irreparably fall apart, I'd like something more like society will never be the same, but some vestiges of it still exist.

Couldn't disagree more

The unease of things falling apart in the pilot (park full with kids > empty with missing kid posters), seeing society coming apart and the hints that things are going bad (cop stocking up on water, the increase in shootings), the fact that fresh zombies actually feel dangerous again because they're harder to kill and the characters don't know what to do yet, etc., make for a fascinating and tense atmosphere

The scale feels bigger than the main show. Actually surprised I'm enjoying it as much as I am

GavinGT

Banned
The thing with new zombies being harder to kill is weird, considering that was never an issue in the mainline series. People who just turned never seemed any harder to kill.

harSon

Banned
They straight up killed off every black character in 2 episodes. Barracking dead smh... dude died under a Cuban flag smh.

derFeef

The thing with new zombies being harder to kill is weird, considering that was never an issue in the mainline series. People who just turned never seemed any harder to kill.

People don't know that you need to destroy the brain yet. Generally I am a bit disappointed by the Zombies here. They seem very weak and often don't move at all.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What's with them killing The Wire characters off so quickly? (The boyfriend was the snitch kid from The Wire)
Damn you are right... I knew his face was familiar... Just didn't know from where.

99hertz

Finally caught up and it's great. It's cool how they use common sounds and normal moments to scare you. I'm hopeful for this show based on the second episode's school scene. You don't get the scare right away but it doesn't doi the usual thing of trying to scare you when you least expect it (which doesn't work because every movie and show does it).

I guess the characters seem kind of bland but they have been rational more or less for what I remember from the main show. I don't know what some people expected about the pace unless they do some minute by minute shit. If a volcano was gonna erupt I'm not staying to see the decay of the city, in fact I wouldn't be coming back if it was like a super-hurricane or super-earthquake. Fuck resources I don't want to be around smelly disease-ridden corpses. I'll go mountain-man rural, kill some bambies and play my harmonica. Hopefully I'll met a lady with the same preferences.

To be honest I'm partially watching the show because of Kim Dickens. I never finished watching Treme so I felt guilt when I saw she was in this. I hope God forgives my sin of not watching it all but it was boring as fuck but I got way too attached to the characters.

After being pretty disappointed/bored by the Pilot, I went into the second episode with low expectations. But I found this episode to be much better. Better pacing and thankfully there were very few of those typical "who would do such a thing *smh*" moments in this episode. except for the scene with Artie of course...
he can't hear you, you know he can't

Chuckie

Are you sure? I remember 'old' zombies exploding when people turned a water hose on them.

They had a shitty steak knife and no knowledge of how to actually kill them.

But yeah the original show is definitely guilty of making some zombies squishier than they should have been. Though the vast majority they encounter are not fresh and it's never really explained exactly how the decomposition process works for a walker. So they can kinda do whatever they want and you can't just assume it'd work like a real life rotting corpse.

Kinda like how the walkers can take 30 seconds or 12 hours or anywhere in-between to reanimate once they've died the first time. Any answer to these kinds of questions will be "whatever works best for this scene".

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
All caught up. There's no doubt in my mind that Fear the Walking Dead is the superior product. FAR superior. Which is funny, because I thought at first that it would be some real lame attempt at milking the undead cow, but it's making TWD look like the cheap, lazy show instead.

Will absolutely keep watching.

Herbs

Banned

Why cancelled?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Could you watch it standalone, having never seen TWD? I watched maybe 3 episodes of TWD but then stopped. It was too freaky seeing Egg from this life doing an American accent

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Could you watch it standalone, having never seen TWD? I watched maybe 3 episodes of TWD but then stopped. It was too freaky seeing Egg from this life doing an American accent

Absolutely. That's what I'm doing with my girlfriend. You are not missing anything. Keep in mind that this is set BEFORE The Walking Dead.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's funny, because TWD literally puts me to sleep more often than not, which is why I watch it during my meal break instead of at dinner time. I find FTWD much more engaging.

If I am not mistaken, from the onset of the disease until entire cities are fallen happens within just a couple of weeks right?

RIck was in a coma for 2-weeks if I remember correctly.

Makes me wonder how long this show can last until it's a full blown Walking Dead styled show.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If I am not mistaken, from the onset of the disease until entire cities are fallen happens within just a couple of weeks right?

Makes me wonder how long this show can last until it's a full blown Walking Dead styled show.

That's... an interesting point.

There's a chance that they may navigate from contained area to contained area. I imagine it took a while until the last pockets of America held by a proper government fell down.

ido

There is a specific scene of them in the car, searching radio stations and nick freaks out because nobody is talking about it. They turn the TV on to find the son at the protest. The video from the highway is posted online. They are barely able to get phone calls through, what do you think the data situation is like? Power is going out across town, etc...I think it's been covered pretty well actually.

People project how they think they would act in a similar situation to these characters and when it doesn't mesh they find that it is some fault with the show.

Well, I said I loved the show and am enjoying it much more than TWD.

I remember the radio part, and the brief TV spot of the riot. I'm mainly talking about the people, like Alicia, who knows some shit is going down, but nobody will tell them what exactly is happening. I'd imagine a 20-something girl would at least turn a TV on at home to see what is going on, especially after she watched the video of the walker getting shot and still coming forward on her phone the previous day. On top of knowing her boyfriend has this illness everyone seems to be talking about.

But you're right, I am projecting. I just love the idea of what news stations would be saying during all of this. I almost wish it were just on in the background and we could hear little snippets of the mayhem going on all over the country. I almost feel as isolated as I do in TWD where nobody knows what's going on anywhere else in the world.

I'm probably weird in that I wish the show would move at a much slower pace. I wish the first zombie's wouldn't have shown themselves until the end of the season, aside from the one in the pilot we saw. I love slow burn shows, and I would have really liked to see more media coverage of the outbreak and riots and hear snippets of what is happening throughout the rest of the country/world. This is the last time we'll get the chance to see true "media" coverage, because once society crumbles, it's TWD all over again.

harSon

Banned
All caught up. There's no doubt in my mind that Fear the Walking Dead is the superior product. FAR superior. Which is funny, because I thought at first that it would be some real lame attempt at milking the undead cow, but it's making TWD look like the cheap, lazy show instead.

Will absolutely keep watching.

We're only two episodes in Lol. The Walking Dead's pilot was legit as fuck.

SleazyC

Walking Dead's pilot was probably one of the most spot-on translations from print-media to film that I've seen in some time. It was so good and pretty much set me up for feeling let down from every subsequent episode in the series.

I really like the tension being built in Fear but the terrible acting is making it hard to keep my interest. Maybe as the tension explodes things will change and I'll keep watching but so far this is pretty much level with TWD in my opinion.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

And the second episode of TWD quickly devolved into a shit trampoline :(

Things may change, but so far I'm enjoying the characterization and cinematography of FTWD heaps more than TWD's. It feels a lot meatier.

Outside of masses of them TWD makes Zombies look relatively harmless. But FTWD has more of a horror vibe, which I really appreciate.

This show has the potential to feature bigger populated urban areas, which has a lot more potential. That is, of course, if they don't all disappear off to the desert (which I assume is their version of the endless forests in TWD - translation: cheap and repeatable sets).

Pilgrimzero

I know they said they would never reveal how the zombies got started but so far to me it seems like a virus.

If it was like NotLD where one day the dead just stood up the world would be overrun fairly quickly due to so many people dying each minute.

And there can't really be a patient zero zombie cause I would think that would be dealt with fairly quickly.

So therefor it must be some sort of virus that eventually everyone contracts. It doesn't kill you but it does spread through the air. Eventual global saturation.

The zombies are far to few ATM for it be anything but.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Outside of masses of them TWD makes Zombies look relatively harmless. But FTWD has more of a horror vibe, which I really appreciate.

I absolutely loved that the school's administrator was stabbed in the head and the knife failed to penetrate. TWD's walkers are made of putty, even freshly made ones.

derFeef

I absolutely loved that the school's administrator was stabbed in the head and the knife failed to penetrate. TWD's walkers are made of putty, even freshly made ones.

That was a shitty knife though ;) I felt the opposit. They may be stronger, but less aggressive somehow. Maybe it's the more human look they have. Hopefully, someday, we see a really big ass scary zombie. Some kind of athlete with the "will" to fight.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I remember that the walkers in TWD were considerably less agressive during the first hours after they turned. Something about the virus still taking over their brains, instincts and memories.

Then again, TWD is inconsistent AF and changes the writting room seems to change the show's rules whenever its needed for plot purposes.

Effect

There is some extra time I think because not every city and area would fall at the same time. Some would fall quicker then others and others likely could have held out for a long time. There could have been areas still going to hell when Rick and crew decided to leave Atlanta and end up on the farm. There is a span of a few months they could possibly push this before it gets to a point where cities are deserted and survivors are starting to build up new areas.

Honestly I would like it if either groups came across an area at some point that did not fall. That they were lucky and manage to contain things in such a way that they have a fully operational society with power, weapons, etc and go off out into the wild to find things or just to cleanse the area of the undead. I think that would be an interesting setup in a zombie apocalypse.

harSon

Banned
And the second episode of TWD quickly devolved into a shit trampoline :(

Things may change, but so far I'm enjoying the characterization and cinematography of FTWD heaps more than TWD's. It feels a lot meatier.

The show is going to live and die by its characters. Are you truly hopeful that a group filled with teenagers (consisting of a genius know it all, an addict - both of whom have step daddy issues - and a wannabe revolutionary with daddy issues), a dynamic between wife and ex-wife, a religious bead wielding old mexican woman and possibly a teenage conspiracy theorist - is not going to actively get on your damn nerves by season's end?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's a zombie show. I have no expectations of holding its shit together past the first couple of seasons (and that's being positive), but I'll take what I can.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So who do people think is going to be the first to die, from the core group of characters? My guess is Travis's ex-wife, Alicia, mostly because it's going to heighten the tension between Travis and his son Chris and it will complicate the relationship between Travis and Madison.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Pls kill mom she is worse then coral ever was

pls
You're joking right? Because I can't remember the last time I have seen an opinion that was more wrong than yours that wasn't based in some sort of racism or bigotry. She's not bad at all. Not compared to some of the horrible people in the main series.

You're joking right? Because I can't remember the last time I have seen an opinion that was more wrong than yours that wasn't based in some sort of racism or bigotry. She's not bad at all. Not compared to some of the horrible people in the main series.

No I'm not joking at all. She is a fucking terrible actress and i will be begging for her death every week.

Bandini

Even though just about every character is dumb as fuck, I'm still enjoying this so far. I actually like the slow pace a lot. There's been some pretty good tension.

The most annoying character has to be the dipshit teenager, god I hate him so much already. Hopefully he gets a pretty hard dose of reality soon. During the police conflict scene, I just wanted his parents to slap him and tell him to shut the hell up, what a little turd.

Top Bottom