• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season Two, Part One - Sundays on AMC

It started off interesting tonight, but it felt very much like we were back on the farm in season 2 of TWD. A whole lot of nothing happening to characters I don't really care for.

The part that interested me was them explaining how the rest of the coast was holding up (badly) and how far the zeds have spread.

Yeah, getting a larger sense of how the rest of the country is operating was something we rarely get info on. Though it's a bit unbelievable that the military kept the chain of command together enough to napalm all the major western cities. And we have to assume since it was an orchestrated, country-wide 'cleansing' of the cities that this was ordered by the President from their end-of-the-world bunker.

One thing that's always irritated me about both shows is that no one has ever tried to check out the internet. Some data centers must still be functioning on autopilot, and the communication satellites certainly would. I get they just want to ignore it exists to keep the mystery of the state of the world, but it's a really convenient thing to overlook. I'm sure a $10M yacht would have a satellite link for internet use.

TWD characters had developed survival instincts in episode 2, these morons are still 2 seasons deep of doing dumb shit.

1: No. They absolutely did not. They set up a completely unguarded camp that got overrun once they started making noise.

2: Episode 1 of TWD takes place further into the apocalypse than this weeks episode of FTWD.

Overall, I'm enjoying what we've seen. Although I am disappointed we won't really see the intimate collapse of civilization on a larger scale, I'm glad the show is progressing at a decent pace. And great that we don't have the children to worry about lol.

While there are some issues with the show, I think they're handling it fine.
1: No. They absolutely did not. They set up a completely unguarded camp that got overrun once they started making noise.

2: Episode 1 of TWD takes place further into the apocalypse than this weeks episode of FTWD.
Do we know how long exactly? Couldn't have been more than a couple of weeks given Rick's condition.

Overall, I'm enjoying what we've seen. Although I am disappointed we won't really see the intimate collapse of civilization on a larger scale, I'm glad the show is progressing at a decent pace. And great that we don't have the children to worry about lol.

While there are some issues with the show, I think they're handling it fine.

Do we know how long exactly? Couldn't have been more than a couple of weeks given Rick's condition.

Looking at timelines people have pieced together online, Rick woke up 59 days in, season 1 ended 64 days in. This weeks Fear is 18 days in.

I defended the first season (it wasn't great, but it was ok), and I think the hate TWD gets sometimes is way overdone, but these first two episodes were really bad. It is a shame, because this was a great idea that they wasted. I wanted a slower burn when it came to pacing. The collapse and move away from LA happen way too fast. I would take the farm in TWD over this any day. With GoT and Silicon Valley starting I am going to let this build-up on my DVR to see if that helps.

that last scene was really sad

No it wasn't. It felt forced and the actions of everyone in that scene didn't make that much sense. Before that I know they was giving a wink to the basement scene in NOTLD, but as soon as the boy came downstairs without his sister it was obvious what was going to happen.

It started off interesting tonight, but it felt very much like we were back on the farm in season 2 of TWD. A whole lot of nothing happening to characters I don't really care for.

Yeah, getting a larger sense of how the rest of the country is operating was something we rarely get info on. Though it's a bit unbelievable that the military kept the chain of command together enough to napalm all the major western cities. And we have to assume since it was an orchestrated, country-wide 'cleansing' of the cities that this was ordered by the President from their end-of-the-world bunker.

One thing that's always irritated me about both shows is that no one has ever tried to check out the internet. Some data centers must still be functioning on autopilot, and the communication satellites certainly would. I get they just want to ignore it exists to keep the mystery of the state of the world, but it's a really convenient thing to overlook. I'm sure a $10M yacht would have a satellite link for internet use.

In 2005? I can see a yacht not having a satellite link for the internet in 2005.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Meh episode for me. Would have had more impact if something would have came of it, like them actually taking the kid. Some sprinklings of character development like Travis' background, at least.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

About point 2....I am curious as to why humans would start robbing, killing other humans this early on after the outbreak in FTWD. Or the dude with the boat has some secrets...Its clear that he shouldnt be trusted from when he first met Nick.

For TWD it seems like enough time has passed for that to actually be an issue.

This was one of the best episodes I've seen from either Fear The Walking Dead or even The Walking Dead. I think it says a lot about the characters we're seeing developed here that I find it incredibly enjoyable to watch an episode where the focus isn't just about action and zombie encounters but instead about great storytelling and dialogue.

The characters in FTWD are just a class above their TWD counterparts and AMC might just have something special if this episode is indicative of season 2 as a whole.

About point 2....I am curious as to why humans would start robbing, killing other humans this early on after the outbreak in FTWD. Or the dude with the boat has some secrets...Its clear that he shouldnt be trusted from when he first met Nick.

Looting, etc happens the night of disasters. Wouldn't put it past humans at all.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Well, GoT is next week. Sorry Fear, I'm not even sure I'll be bothering to on-demand you.

Pryce

People loot after a sports team wins a championship. You think people wouldn't loot if society was literally falling apart?

Strand would have made a perfect Tyreese.

Wish we would have seen more of the world crumble. Seems like it's not really full blown end of the world yet as the government is still in tact. Though I do wonder where the world leaders and top officials are at. They gotta all still be alive.

I didn't mind this episode. Still there were dumb moments,

Power Pills: how would the kid know about them if they were poison? There is no way he could have taken any before.

The Ship Mom wanting to take the kids off the island before she knew anything about the power pills. Being on an island way safer then out on sea where the day before you were trying to get away from pirates.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
A lot of stupid shit happening again this episode, but it was kinda entertaining this time...so def. better than the premier. Hope it continues.

Still not a fan Strand is being suspected at every turn - i mean he saved their asses lol. I would be happy to be alive instead of trying to fin dirt on some other survivor.

In 2005? I can see a yacht not having a satellite link for the internet in 2005.

Yacht from 2004:
COMMUNICATION
Satcom
Cell Phone
Computer with Modem.

E-mail Internet accessibiity is available in every stateroom.

2006 yacht:
Two computer towers housed under the main helm serve to run the electronic systems including the Maretron navigation and vessel monitoring system and the Noboltec chart plotter / radar system. The system is connected to a 24/7 mobile internet modem that enables remote log in anywhere in the world and email alarm notifications.

The show's yacht is a "$10 million yacht" and thus is more likely to have high-end features like satellite internet access.

Mega

Banned
Does this show take place in 2005? I don't think it does.

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/televi...st-Told-Us-Zombie-Outbreak-Started-81067.html

http://m.hitfix.com/harpy/fear-the-...nfirmed-what-year-the-zombie-outbreak-started

I know it's TWD universe but I get the impression it's not a 100% exact retelling of the comic book zombie crisis. Look at season 1. Many instances of people using modern tech. The episode with Chris in the city was clearly inspired by events involving police and protests from recent years.

The articles I linked get into specifics of iPhone model which I think is unimportant. That could just be chalked up to using available props. What matters is the sheer ubiquity of all the recent tech: tablets, smartphones, social media, HD video uploads, etc. That's not a minor coincidence and points to the TV shows being firmly in the 2010s.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This was one of the best episodes I've seen from either Fear The Walking Dead or even The Walking Dead. I think it says a lot about the characters we're seeing developed here that I find it incredibly enjoyable to watch an episode where the focus isn't just about action and zombie encounters but instead about great storytelling and dialogue.

The characters in FTWD are just a class above their TWD counterparts and AMC might just have something special if this episode is indicative of season 2 as a whole.
I have to agree. Looking at some of the responses in this thread I have to wonder if I'm in the minority for liking it MUCH better than TWD.

Sadist

It was allright.

For people still watching the WD series hoping a cure will find its way to the survivors, those hopes have been squashed. Fire bombing cities, thinking of the virus as a natural defense against the human race... sure cool. Salvation won't be there. As for the episode itself; Daniel being a sly og wins. Strand being slick and having an agenda. Nick killing people, trying to save them, failing. Welp. At least you're trying and not being a dumb addict. The girl is still terrible. Madison still flip flopping. Travis still hasn't reached the point of how to understand this new world. Go on, unleash the Ricktator Travis. You know you want to.

The family this ep was strange. And poor little Willa. She was pretty damn hungry though. Girl loves her some white meat. The little kid being left behind ws sad though. Means his brother needs to pop a bullet in his father and little sister's skull too. Won't be pretty. Oh well, they'll survive. I guess. Zombie mom did some mighty power shuffling btw. I'm almost jealous.

The articles I linked get into specifics of iPhone model which I think is unimportant. That could just be chalked up to using available props. What matters is the sheer ubiquity of all the recent tech: tablets, smartphones, social media, HD video uploads, etc. That's not a minor coincidence and points to the TV shows being firmly in the 2010s.

Yeah, the exact date isn't as important to me as the fact that internet, smartphones, and tablets are all established in FTWD. It seems dismissive for the writers to just pretend the internet doesn't exist as soon as the outbreak starts; it's a major part of our society now. The internet was after all developed by the U.S. military to build a communications network that could survive a nuclear war.

So far, Nick is in the lead this season at three.

The episode was missing an emotional beat showing Nick realized he and his addict personality just got that girl and her mom killed (and possibly dad).

Lorcain

I have to agree. Looking at some of the responses in this thread I have to wonder if I'm in the minority for liking it MUCH better than TWD.
You're not alone. This cast of characters, and their story at this point in the ZA, are more interesting to me right now. While we didn't get to see the overall collapse of society, we do get to see a group dealing with that new reality in the first 30 days.

Watching TWD is like watching an episode of Mad Max, almost everyone at this point in their timeline is a hardened, bad ass killer.

RPGCrazied

That was intense. Kinda sucks though, next weekend starts game of thrones, so I will have to record Fear and watch later.

scosher

I'm enjoying this more than early seasons of TWD, as it gets to explore families and characters that are still getting accustomed to a post-apocalyptic world. People still have a sense of civility, will open their doors for strangers and invite them in for beer. That would never happen 6 weeks later in this universe. And getting to see this collapse of society is interesting TV (although not really quite riveting yet).

The cast--especially Madison, Travis' son, and Alicia--are pretty awful though. But I'm willing to give them a chance as I remember not liking Carol at all in the earlier seasons of TWD. Alicia's definitely gonna be dead sooner or later.. Walking around alone with headphones on? She'll be the first of this family to die.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The cast--especially Madison, Travis' son, and Alicia--are pretty awful though. But I'm willing to give them a chance as I remember not liking Carol at all in the earlier seasons of TWD. Alicia's definitely gonna be dead sooner or later.. Walking around alone with headphones on? She'll be the first of this family to die.

Watch out. The fangirls can hear you.

Chuckie

ujmOckW.jpg

One of the survivors of Flight 462 will, at some point, join the main cast of Fear the Walking Dead season 2, so:

Watch the complete webseries now! (14:29)

I was watching this and suddenly remembered where I know that girl from...

The Tribe hahahah... anyone remember that shitty show? It was my quilty pleasure as a teen.

tai_san_the_tribe_postcard-r74ea6b312dbb47c7b9843a8f4a32f78d_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Surfinn

Thought this episode was actually pretty good. Some forced drama at the end, but nothing bad, just a little clunky.

The dialogue is leagues ahead of TWD. Time we spend with characters often feels meaningful and valuable.

Looking forward to seeing where they take these characters.

Mega

Banned

Did you forget this is AMC? Get into the mindset of a 17-year old. Alicia isn't going anywhere for a very long time.

Next death is:
-Chris (most hated, has resting whiny brat face, people will cheer if he dies, no one wants to see him with Alicia)
-Daniel (old, backstory has run its course?)
-Ofelia (blending into the background, doing nothing)
-One of the parents (Madison if overshadowed by other adults and grows more unlikable)

Safe for a long time:
-Nick (young, has a Depp/Franco thing going that could be considered attractive, popular?, many possible storylines including future love interests, drug problem could resurface)
-Alicia (young, hot, popular?, biggest chance of becoming FTWD's Daryl, many possible storylines including future love interests)
-Strand (fan favorite?, interesting, too many unresolved mysteries, possibly end of arc villain in which case he won't die until then)

someday

Banned
I don't think any of the main family are going anywhere. They'll probably kill off Strand since they're working really hard to make him untrustworthy and he's my favorite character. Until then, they'll just kill off the new people they meet each week to fill the quota.

Social

I was ok with Season 1, it had some interesting things in it and I could see some characters growing on me a bit but the first 2 episodes of Season 2 are making it really hard for me to keep watching. I just don't care about anyone in this show. I really couldn't care less about these people! They are all annoying, all of them.

Mega

Banned
I've seen this comparison several times, can anyone explain it in detail?

Alicia appeals (or will appeal) to a young demographic that AMC wants watching this show. This includes guys attracted to her and young women who will grow to like her in the same manner as fictional characters like Katniss and Daenerys. The closest to this in TWD is Maggie but she's quite older and doesn't exactly fit the mold.

I don't think she's much to write home about now. She's a naïve, useless and somewhat annoying kid at the moment, but as the story moves along she will become smarter and tougher, possibly cold blooded, and hopefully not in a way that makes her loathsome. If the writers can successfully roll qualities of various well liked characters like Maggie, Carol, Daryl and Michonne, then sky's the limit.

After realizing it wasn't working out years ago, I'm sure TWD showrunners wished they could trade in the actor playing Carl for someone with the potential of an Alicia. You look at someone like Chris and he's this show's Carl. The difference is FTWD has the fortune of not having to stick to source material so they can dump Chris if/whenever audiences find him too unbearable to tolerate any longer.

vendril

Neo Member
The actress that plays Alicia recently got killed on The 100, so I'm hoping she at least got some assurances about her character's life expectancy. I unfortunately liked her as Lexa more than Alicia (so far).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Alicia appeals (or will appeal) to a young demographic that AMC wants watching this show. This includes guys attracted to her and young women who will grow to like her in the same manner as fictional characters like Katniss and Daenerys.

I think you have AMC confused with The CW.

ItIsOkBro

You're not alone. This cast of characters, and their story at this point in the ZA, are more interesting to me right now. While we didn't get to see the overall collapse of society, we do get to see a group dealing with that new reality in the first 30 days.

Watching TWD is like watching an episode of Mad Max, almost everyone at this point in their timeline is a hardened, bad ass killer.

I agree with you too.

Top Bottom