• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February WrassleGAF |BO-T| And Bo-ing is Half the Battle

gurudyne

Yeah, I know it's Sheamus. Just wanted to bring that up again so we can all complain about how awful it is to watch that stuff go down.

Sheamus needs a manager--love his work, hate it when he has mic/skit time. A mouthpiece (or better writing towards his strengths) would do wonders.

Ithil

The Austin, Punk and Bret vs. Shawn ones are great because they're totally honest, there's no bullshit (apart from perhaps the last five minutes of Punk's documentary going into "and they lived happily ever after" territory to force an ending even though his career was still flying along).

Speaking of documentaries, I finally watched The Last of McGuinness. Damned good as an introspective, but as expected, it's no fun, hopeful romp like the Wrestling Road Diaries or tribute to a great career like the Austin documentary, it's pretty thoroughly depressing. McGuinness paid his dues, did the 10+ years on the indie scene making a name for himself, getting skilled, giving it his all, and is left with pretty much nothing to show for it and his dream dead in the water. It's especially cruel since he was even signed to WWE, but ultimately couldn't pass the physical tests. There's a very uncomfortable scene near the end where he hits his lowest point when alone the day after his last ever match and lets it all out at the camera. The very same day, Daniel Bryan won the WHC, and it seems like it cheered him up immensely.

Definitely worth the watch, but I wouldn't watch it a second time, it's just very disheartening, even if it ends on a cheerful note after the support he received from Kickstarter helped his perspective on his indie career for him.

just watched some bits from RAW (ff trough most of it).

Ryback the monster is smaller than Cesaro.
Jack Swagger is shit.
1996 WCW Rey vs Daniel Bryan could've been awesome.
Mark Henry is good example of how to book someone by highlighting strenghts and hiding weaknesses.
Heyman is glorious.
Miz is a fuckin turd, get injured, please, and disappear.
Brock should be in every segment, either destroying someone or in the background, waiting to destroy someone.
Punk vs Jericho was good.
you had a good run, Shield.

also hilarious how Brock just threw the sofas like feathers when Ryback shat himself to lift one.

Striker

At least the worm was cool.

Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing people lose to an elbow drop.
It's about theatrics. Is it really any worse than Rey's belly splash, Cena's fireman's carry, or Ryback's modified samoan drop?

Did you also hate Savage's elbow drop? Jake Roberts DDT? It is about making the move look impactful, but even then most finishers these days that are intended to look flashy often come off looking weak because of how they're performed.

-

As for the Shield, it's a must win for them. If they lose it really serves no more purpose for them to hang around as a formidable group. They've been in one match in three months and somehow still have some fire going. Mainly thanks to the Paul Heyman angle.

McNei1y

Are people really down on The Shield because they ran away from the entire WWE lockroom minus Punk and Lesnar?

No. They looked really good that they actually went back in and fought the 3 big faces 1 on 1 and held their own. Then they actually managed to escape through the crowd without having any finishers dealt to them. That was good. What sucks is that we all know, whether at EC or WM, the Shield will get DESTROYED by Cena and co.

But, isn't that the role of a Heel group in the end? I don't know. Just seems a shame getting upset about something that hasn't happened yet.

McNei1y

But, isn't that the role of a Heel group in the end? I don't know. Just seems a shame getting upset about something that hasn't happened yet.

Well when it's something that's clear as day (ie Cena winning the rumble and Once in a Lifetime II) it's just rather annoying. So we complain longer than CM Punks title reign. And this WWE we're talking about!

Aiii

So not worth it

WWE-Nexus.jpg

Forkball

That's really the role of all heels: to have their reign of terror ended by the hero. But you have to build up the heel to be a threat and the hero has to be engaging. WWE often fails when trying to accomplish this. What was the last feud you enjoyed where a face won because the heel was so hateable and the face like able?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Shield will be fine at EC, look for their legit burial at Mania.

That's really the role of all heels: to have their reign of terror ended by the hero. But you have to build up the heel to be a threat and the hero has to be engaging. WWE often fails when trying to accomplish this. What was the last feud you enjoyed where a face won because the heel was so hateable and the face like able?
Foley over Rock?

Edit (I'm only thinking for the world title though)

Shield will be fine at EC, look for their legit burial at Mania.

I think I am ok with that.

Build the heel stable up but ultimately they are toppled at the big show. Thats how wrestling should work.

But that wont happen. Cena will single handedly beat at least 2 of them at EC and at mania they will get buried again.

Kaladin

Austin Aries over Bobby Roode

Can't think of one off the top of my head, now that you've asked. Certainly not in WWE, but I think that says as much about me as it does the WWE. I generally start to like any threatening heel character as they're so rare! WWE is Paradox Wrestling right now, everything is back to front, conflicting with everything people know about wrestling.

Anth0ny

Rock over Cena?

Well it's not a last feud but I like
warrior/slaughter or Hogan slaughter
Orton/trips

Cagey

Banned

Probably not recently for most. In part, that's due to the IWC cheering for heels instead of faces in almost every instance, whether deserved (Punk) or undeserved but "lol heels" (Miz, Cody Rhodes).

Guzim

CM Punk vs Alberto Del Rio at Survivor Series 2011. Crowd loved it when Punk won. I should know, I was there :)

http://youtu.be/yIP_x2V3has?t=4m44s

"WE GOTTA GO!! GOOD NIGHT FROM CHARLESTOOOOOOOOOOOOONNN!!!!"

i miss Schiavone... :(

Why can't Cole ever show this kind of emotion?

I just finished watching the oddly titled epic journey of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson documentary, I expected it to be far worse than the Punk and Austin ones I went through last week but it was actually still pretty solid.
Notably it highlights just how good his promo skills are, there's like a good 10 minutes straight of everyone just talking about how good The Rock is at connecting with the crowd. Better yet there's focus on both the Rock and Sock connection and Hollywood Rock.
I think the original Rock Concert may be my favourite Raw segment of all time, the entire thing just leaves me in stitches and ends with a good old fashioned Rock/Austin Brawl, the last one ever on Raw I think, truly the end of an era (more so than that one hell in a cell match with those other guys).

Yet despite being one of my all time favourites I just don't care about this current run, I appreciate Rock being here but knowing that he's soon to be saddled with Cena once more just kills the whole thing for me. On paper it should be great but as we saw from the build up last year the execution is anything but, dancing around the PG rating with odd mishmash slurs in a tepid face versus face wankery that goes nowhere.
I'm just supposed to be hyped because it's "big", it's like last year again only THIS YEAR! and golly they've pointlessly shoved the title in there as well taking it away from elevating another match on the card so Cena's comeback win can out great the great one's previous win.
The WWE promo vid team will need to get their arses in gear and throw out something like the HBK/Taker 2 running up that hill promo to make this match seem even remotely interesting when the time comes.

Ithil

Probably not recently for most. In part, that's due to the IWC cheering for heels instead of faces in almost every instance, whether deserved (Punk) or undeserved but "lol heels" (Miz, Cody Rhodes).

I don't think the IWC has cheered for Miz since about 2010.

- There was discussion about inducting Madison Square Garden (the building) into the WWE Hall of Fame. At this time it doesn't seem as if it will happen, but there were talks.

lol @ that.

Spanish Announce Table would be pissed.

Whenever Shawn Michaels or anybody who did a super kick, there would be a loud clapping noise on impact, Does the kick actually make that noise? I feel really dumb asking this question for some reason. There has to be an explanation behind this.

HBK slapped his non-kick leg with his hand to make the noise.

Sabucin

I realized of some things road to wrestlemania:

• Sheamus and Ryback won't participate on the chamber matches, this mean that both of them won't challenge for the tittles (Sheamus vs Ryback on WM?)

• It will be a triple treath match for thw WHC on Wrestlemania? (because of Ziggler's briefcase)

Nothing? That's why Sheamus is a horrible face and Del Rio is a good one (so far).

Shamus is awful but at least his character is something people like, even if he's being an asshole. Like Austin but...not in Audtin's league obviously.

Del Rio's promo this Monday was absolutely awful. He's a good baby face worker but that pandering, "please love me" speech was terrible. They really need to work on his character. Just make him Eddie v2 or somethin, cos asking people to love you is no buys.

Top Bottom