• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
itcN1lzTGS4XB.gif
iPn55tZtOWolv.gif
i8wzQYDRCZaJ2.gif
ibmST2XQoxX3qs.gif
tcN1lzTGS4XB
ipCwHp4kHdDDG.gif
ibhtG0tNeyobjG.gif

Note: Gene told everyone in the room to go fuck themselves on the last gif.

Rapstah

The Scott Armstrong retirement angle never really completed. Fast count in the Bryan/Orton match, gets "fired" for the fast count, runs out during the Bryan/Orton match at Battleground, gets knocked out by Big Show. That's it.

About 20 or so minutes until Dragon Gate live from Korakuen Hall;

Dragon Gate, "TRUTH GATE", 2014.02.06
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

http://www.ustream.tv/dragonGate - $15

1. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Jimmy Kagetora vs. U-T, Y
2. Don Fujii, Kenichiro Arai vs. Shachihoko BOY, Chihiro Tominaga
3. Lumberjack Whip Match: Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs. Gamma
4. Kotoka, Ryotsu Shimizu vs. Mondai Ryu, Kzy
5. K-ness, Dragon Kid, Super Shisa vs. Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi, Uhaa Nation
6. Masato Yoshino, Masaaki Mochizuki vs. T-Hawk, X
7. MAD BLANKEY vs. JIMMYZ Oedo Elimination Match: Jimmy Susumu, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Jimmy Kanda, Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin vs. YAMATO, BxB Hulk, Naruki Doi, Cyber Kong

Should be a real fun show.

I just randomly watched the first episode of NXT that's on Hulu, and goddamn is that so weird. 2010 Daniel Bryan freaks me out like nothing else, especially since they keep saying he needs to show respect to the Miz.

NJPW young lion Hiromu Takahashi (who is currently on an international learning excursion) debuted in CMLL last night with a new gimmick, Kamaitachi...

imqcVMck4tWCf.jpg

ibv13Jw7yBweAe.jpg

'Kamaitachi' are ghosts from Japanese folklore which are described as; "weasels with sharp claws, riding on a gust of wind and cutting people's skin on the legs", lol. Odd gimmick, but I really like Japan's tradition of sending the young lion's out in the world for a year to better learn the craft.

mouserat

Neo Member
so this is interesting:

Chris Harrington did a study on TV ratings by performers for the year. A few notes on this. The first is that the data used was from the Observer, which essentially means from January through August we had just about every show and the numbers were actuals. Over the next few months, we had sporadic and they were from a different source and were estimates, but it’s a different methodology and wasn’t exact. But as far as, on average, how many people are gained or lost based on this character’s segments, this is the top 20:

1. The Rock: 335,698

2. Brock Lesnar: 330,068

3. John Cena: 328,401

4. Paul Heyman: 317,531

5. HHH: 259,420

6. C.M. Punk: 246,534

7. Stephanie McMahon: 242,841

8. Vickie Guerrero: 234,359

9. Vince McMahon: 203,475

10. Brad Maddox: 168,819

11. Seth Rollins: 167,388

12. Roman Reigns: 166,202

13. Big Show: 161,143

14. Daniel Bryan: 155,341

15. Dean Ambrose: 135,652

16. Ryback: 91,294

17. Curtis Axel: 59,699

18. Kane: 48,198

19. Sheamus: 40,064:

20. Randy Orton: 36,305

A few notes on these numbers. There is an advantage in the sense those perceived as top draws are going to get the better segments, so it’s not perfect. Also, wrestlers are not isolated in the sense only one person is in a segment. Does Heyman, for example, benefit greatly here by the fact he worked with Lesnar and Punk all year? Of course. Rollins & Reigns were a tag team, and the only thing it showed is that Ambrose fares worse as U.S. champion than as part of the unit, hurting his average compared to the other two. I doubt anyone should be surprised by that. All the authority figures fare well because they are in the segments where they make big announcements, or are involved with top angles. Brad Maddox is not a bigger ratings draw than Daniel Bryan. Also, as part-time performers, it probably helps Rock and definitely helps Lesnar. The idea that Cena and Punk were the two most successful full-timers coincides with the idea that they were the two most pushed during that period.

For the bottom 20:

1. Cameron: -496,714

2. Layla: -486,500

3. Aksana: -397,000

4. Naomi: -389,417

5. R-Truth: -322,143

6. Brie Bella: -322,133

7. Nikki Bella: -311,175

8. Natalya: -299,300

9. Alicia Fox: -234,875

10. Christian: -208,000

11. Usos: -205,417

12. Kofi Kingston: -202,158

13. Great Khali: -201,200

14. Damien Sandow: -184,140

15. Fandango: -175,640

16. Santino Marella: -179,438

17. Bray Wyatt: -171,225

18. Zack Ryder: -152,643

19. A.J. Lee: -152,838

20. Erick Rowan: -142,250

The key here is the bottom spots being dominated by the women. I don’t think the order is significant, since in may ways they are booked to be interchangeable. It’s more the overall message over the course of the year. More people tune out during women’s matches, which are often multiple person matches that feel like filler programming.

Television viewership is supposed to be about attractive people, yet to a predominately male audience, the physically most attractive people are at the bottom of the list, which tells you that things are not nearly as simple as they are made out to be.

It shows that television truisms are like the “turn heads at airports” line wrestling people talk about to explain why certain people should and shouldn’t get pushed when the reality is this. The best predictor of whether someone can get over is if he or she has done so previously in a meaningful way. The other is that nothing is a be-all or end-all. Everyone will make judgments on looks, promos, size, psychology of character and working ability. All are factors. But the overwhelming factor is, does it work? Some with everything on paper going for them don’t work out. Some with none do.

And again, these numbers aren’t stagnant. Work with better people, or get pushed as a more important act, and your numbers will improve. But the idea that a meaningless woman’s match will bring in teenage boys, or adult males, sounds great in a meeting. But in real life, in 2013, the opposite was true. Or a giant like Khali on television will keep people from turning the channel may have been true when he first came in, but after years, it’s no longer the case.

lol@R-Truth stuck in the middle of the ratings cancer Divas

Xater

Of course attractive women doing shitty wrestling is t going to draw ratings. It's really not a revelation. I mean during their mate he's the audience in the arena are pretty much always dead.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not like they're ever booked to draw.

Oh here's a 8-woman 3 minute tag-team match, why aren't you watching?!

But we discussed these numbers earlier, though they also included 2012 ratings. AJ was in the top 20 gaining draws in 2012, and when she was moved away from the men to the meaningless matches she's now the number 19 in the negative row. So it's not like the women per definition can't draw, it's just that they're not booked to.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think that list takes into account people who frequently are placed in angles that generally have highest ratings regardless of who is in it (openers, top of the hour) and that Bork and Rock pop big ratings because they are actually promoted ahead of time as being on the show. Batista drew a big rating because it was promoted ahead of time. If WWE would promote matches or guys making appearances ahead of time, I bet they would see ratings increases while those matches or people are on.

Not announcing something on WWE.com in interviews that people either don't watch/know about or are going to watch shows regardless. Not announcing the main event at the start or half way through the show. Actually scheduling matches and promoting them a week or two in advance. It can't be that hard and it has proven results.

It's not like they're ever booked to draw.

Oh here's a 8-woman 3 minute tag-team match, why aren't you watching?!

But we discussed these numbers earlier, though they also included 2012 ratings. AJ was in the top 20 gaining draws in 2012, and when she was moved away from the men to the meaningless matches she's now the number 19 in the negative row. So it's not like the women per definition can't draw, it's just that they're not booked to.
I really wish they wouldn't book the women so poorly since they have some ok talent. At least it looks like AJ and Naomi are gonna have a match. I'm sure they can put on solid match. AJ and Kaitlyn at Payback was great. I wish Eve was still around

Oh and hey bros, why didn't anyone tell me that Outlast would make me shit all over myself.

strobogo

Banned
I have no idea why WWE still runs shit like they have to out surprise Nitro every week. They have complete control to space things out and promote things ahead of time. There is no need to ever have the main event be decided in a promo segment at the start of the show. It's like no one remembers booking before there were authority figures to use as crutches. Except when it comes to the mid card, which is completely random. So who books those matches? Do the Authority book the Fandango vs Xavier Woods matches? Why don't they spend 20 minutes explaining those bookings at the start of every show? Since they don't does that mean they don't give a shit about the mid card stuff and therefore the fans shouldn't either?

This game! I played an hour or so yesterday and damn near chucked my controller at the screen at one point.
I don't think a game has ever had me this legit shook.

I actually screamed like a bitch and woke up the girl I have here. Then she asked me if I was ok because I was pacing back and forth

Huh, Wes Brisco's getting a New Japan shot as his old man is friends with Tiger Hatori (the referee who books and looks after the gaijin talent).

Also, this match happened on the Dragon Gate show;

ibq097aIa1a5H8.gif

ibpmWWZ1j7cNAe.gif

...I don't even, I mean....what?

Xater

Oh the newest Wrestling Observer Radio starts out with some impressions Bryan got from people that are already have the network. Apparently it's awesome.

Don't know what went wrong there as he usually does not spike them with that move. The victim is supposed to get a completely flat landing as if he just did a Moonsault.

Looking at the move on youtube, it seems like he normally tilts them back over his shoulder a bit more than he did to Hulk there. Hulk seemed OK, thankfully. Also, about 30 seconds later Susumu did this to YAMATO and I couldn't tell if he spiked him or it was just YAMATO's selling;

iGEHMvPhV6XMx.gif

Kaladin

Oh the newest Wrestling Observer Radio starts out with some impressions Bryan got from people that are already have the network. Apparently it's awesome.

People already have the network? Where are they so I can find them and be nice to them and win their trust to gain access.....yes that's it.

Xater

People already have the network? Where are they so I can find them and be nice to them and win their trust to gain access.....yes that's it.

They are running tests to find any possible kinks.

Apparently it has that Netflix feel and everything is very easy to find.

The E is to trying to contrast the present day product with the Network's backlog. Make the old shows look incredible in comparison so they keep subbing to it. Vince wins.

Ithil

Some folks in WWE are beta testing it. Apparently it's basically just Netflix but for wrestling, so if you like Netflix, you'll like the Network.

Kaladin

Some folks in WWE are beta testing it. Apparently it's basically just Netflix but for wrestling, so if you like Netflix, you'll like the Network.

I like Netflix, but I've been saying for years that they should adapt a 24/7 network type stream of content like WWE is also doing with their service. It would be awesome having something like that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like Netflix, but I've been saying for years that they should adapt a 24/7 network type stream of content like WWE is also doing with their service. It would be awesome having something like that.

Absolutely. Having a common channel where someone decides what content gets played does wonders for keeping people engaged - you have the option for people to watch what's on, instead of looking for juuuust the right thing. It's a happy medium.

Things like broadcasting the Monday Night Wars during their respective timeslots would be a lot of fun and really good to have.

Toki767

I just heard a new football league is starting up in the US today. Getting XFL vibes all over again. I wonder how Vince feels.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just heard a new football league is starting up in the US today. Getting XFL vibes all over again. I wonder how Vince feels.

Is there? I didn't hear anything at all. Sounds like they're not promoting it right...

Aiii

So not worth it
So I bought something from the new WWE Euroshop and it says it's being shipped from amazon.com with a Dutch address.

Which is weird because there is no Amazon over here, maybe they have a deal with Amazon UK somehow?

Sephzilla

So I watched 50 years of WWE or whatever it's called on Netflix. Overall it was pretty decently entertaining.

I laughed at how they skipped over most of the ruthless aggression era stuff and never showed Thugonomics Cena, like they almost tried to make it seem like he's been Hogan 2.0 since the beginning.

There was also a noticable bit of jerking off HHH during the Attitude Era portion. They really tried to pass off HHH as being one of the biggest names in the Attitude Era even though anybody who actually experienced it knows HHH was B-tier compared to Austin & Rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom