• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

Are you guys subbing to WWE Network? I don't think I will.

One of my friends is going to day-one it. Since we're most likely going to be watching WrestleMania at his place per tradition I'm thinking I'll wait until seeing if WM is dogshit before making up my mind.

Anth0ny

So I watched 50 years of WWE or whatever it's called on Netflix. Overall it was pretty decently entertaining.

I laughed at how they skipped over most of the ruthless aggression era stuff and never showed Thugonomics Cena, like they almost tried to make it seem like he's been Hogan 2.0 since the beginning.

There was also a noticable bit of jerking off HHH during the Attitude Era portion. They really tried to pass off HHH as being one of the biggest names in the Attitude Era even though anybody who actually experienced it knows HHH was B-tier compared to Austin & Rock.

And Foley

And Taker

And the fucking New Age Outlaws

HHH's biggest pop came that one night when he came back from his quad injury. He was never really that over during the Attitude Era. He was just on TV a lot.

Are you guys subbing to WWE Network? I don't think I will.

I'm in Canada, so I can't. I probably won't even when it is available.

Aiii

So not worth it
Come on guys, lets not overstate things, Heel HHH in the Attitude Era was pretty great and definitely on the level of the sub-Rock and Austin stars. I really enjoyed that run from him and while WWE might make him a bigger deal than he was, he certainly wasn't a midcarder at that point by any stretch of the imagination.

Carnby

Come on guys, lets not overstate things, Heel HHH in the Attitude Era was pretty great and definitely on the level of the sub-Rock and Austin stars. I really enjoyed that run from him and while WWE might make him a bigger deal than he was, he certainly wasn't a midcarder at that point by any stretch of the imagination.

Exactly. He got A LOT of heat. As viewer from 1996 to 2001, I really enjoyed watching the progression of his character.

Edit:

Kinda on topic. I remember seeing The Rock Vs. HHH in a ladder match for the IC title. It was a great match. Even though HHH won it, everyone just knew that The Rock was the one that was going to benefit the most from the match. It took years for HHH to catch up to him.

Basically any show in 1999 from any of the 3 companies is complete garbage to me. Total Crash TV nonsense. -Especially- WWF. Oh good lord.

Sephzilla

And Foley

And Taker

And the fucking New Age Outlaws

HHH's biggest pop came that one night when he came back from his quad injury. He was never really that over during the Attitude Era. He was just on TV a lot.

HHH was big during the Attitude Era and nobody will ever deny that, but he wasn't even the top heel
Vince was
. I would say that HHH helped Rock reach stardom, but not Austin.

Penguin

Exactly. He got A LOT of heat. As viewer from 1996 to 2001, I really enjoyed watching the progression of his character.

Edit:

Kinda on topic. I remember seeing The Rock Vs. HHH in a ladder match for the IC title. It was a great match. Even though HHH won it, everyone just knew that The Rock was the one that was going to benefit the most from the match. It took years for HHH to catch up to him.

HHH was big during the Attitude Era and nobody will ever deny that, but he wasn't even the top heel
Vince was
. I would say that HHH helped Rock reach stardom, but not Austin.

I think a big part of it was that he was pushed as a big heel.
And when it didn't work, they would try more.

Reunite DX
Form the McMahon-Helmsey Faction
Team Him with Austin

It also helps that Austin and Taker went out around the same time with injuries and Foley was retiring. Left a huge chasm to fill.

Kaladin

NXT Arrival is going to be odd having a PPV for a developmental territory.

They were already putting on PPV quality matches in an hour long block. I can't wait to see what they do in a 3 hour PPV format show.

We will def be invading OT for that one.

Penguin

They were already putting on PPV quality matches in an hour long block. I can't wait to see what they do in a 3 hour PPV format show.

Oh that's 3-hours?
I was expecting it to be like a live normal sshow.

GhaleonQ

wwe-black-ref-dancing-o.gif

1st Punk, now Justin King, soon Del Rio. Why bother anymore?

HOW DO I BUY SHIT FROM NJPW?

I need that fucking bullet club shirt and the Rain Maker shirt too, probably.

Buyee works really well.

God damn it Enzo and Big Cass are the best. Dudes are hilarious.

They actually tried to squeeze that whole thing in on the entrance ramp in N.X.T. and it was significantly worse. Thank goodness people saved those when they originally went up so we could get the best version.

Pizoxuat

Triple H's greatest skill has always been having the right friends. He's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but he shouldn't have dominated TV the way he did. I stopped watching WWE for a few years when every Raw ended with Trips and sledgie.

Pizoxuat

On one hand, this could be incredible. On the other hand, they are bringing people from the main roster in. Hopefully their storylines won't take over the show.

Rapstah

Not sure where the idea that they'll be putting up all episodes of Raw and Nitro at launch comes from. I don't even think they've stated that they'll all be up at any point in time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did we talk about Batista's ass pic when that was still news? Because Batista tweeted a picture Butt-ista

I posted it and was hated for it. The one with the business card in his ass, right?

Kaladin

Oh that's 3-hours?
I was expecting it to be like a live normal sshow.

They've got 2 or 3 main event matches planned, and likely an undercard to go with it. I'm guessing it's a full PPV type show. Cesaro vs Zayn 2/3 Falls #2 could be an episode on it's own.

jred2k

As soon as there is a work-around using DNS settings for WWE Network that will be my day one. Hopefully that day comes before NXT Arrival.

Assuming they don't allow subs with Canadian credit cards, what method do you plan to use to subscribe? I've yet to find a way that doesn't end up being prohibitive because of fees, like buying a pre-paid American Visa.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure where the idea that they'll be putting up all episodes of Raw and Nitro at launch comes from. I don't even think they've stated that they'll all be up at any point in time.

Hm you're right. They WERE saying it would all be available but now the wording is a little different. Ugh.

Still, best value in sports entertainment babay!

I posted it and was hated for it. The one with the business card in his ass, right?

Yup, I must have been away or on one of my benders when it was posted the first time. Oh well.

Assuming they don't allow subs with Canadian credit cards, what method do you plan to use to subscribe? I've yet to find a way that doesn't end up being prohibitive because of fees, like buying a pre-paid American Visa.

We'll have to wait and see I guess. I own a Macy's credit card with an American billing address but I'd rather not deal with that hassle.

Aiii

So not worth it

You can just but a prepaid Visa in your own country actually, they're anonymous so they don't have a name + address attached to them, basically you can subscribe with a random US postal code and you're good to go.

jred2k

You can just but a prepaid Visa in your own country actually, they're anonymous so they don't have a name + address attached to them, basically you can subscribe with a random US postal code and you're good to go.

Oh cool, thanks. I've come close to making an US PayPal account a few times, but it just seems like such a fucking hassle. I hate when companies make it hard for me to spend money.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Are you talking about PS+? Because thats the best service I've ever paid for.

Bought a 3DS XL yesterday. Really wish it had something like PS+.

What? PS+? Why would I bring that up? It's not really comparable, I'd say...except the fact that you're renting, I guess. PS+ turned into a good value once they kicked Instant Game Collection into gear.

Sephzilla

Triple H's greatest skill has always been having the right friends. He's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but he shouldn't have dominated TV the way he did. I stopped watching WWE for a few years when every Raw ended with Trips and sledgie.

HHH's biggest wrestling talent was backstage politicking. He surrounded himself with the right people, talked the right talk, and then married the boss's daughter.

I feel bad because it seems like I'm belittling HHH, he was talented and definitely put on some good matches. But if Austin and Rock were Hogan and Macho, then HHH was Ted DeBiase in comparison. The only A-tier thing HHH really did have was an ego.

jmdajr

His win at Wrestlemnia 2000 main event was shocking. That's one of the few times a HEEL ever get OVER on the biggest stage of them all.

It was cool.

Kyoufu

Why aren't you subscribing? The network will change your life forever.

I'm not really interested in revisiting the olden days of wrasslin. I've already watched a lot of it as a kid.

And the current product today is not worth paying money for sadly.

But yes, the service does indeed offer great value for wrestling fans.

Carnby

Clearly all of you HHH doubters are forgetting his bold fashion statements of denim sleeveless vests over black leather jackets.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Clearly all of you HHH doubters are forgetting his bold fashion statements of denim sleeveless vests over black leather jackets.

There's nothing wrong with a little denim vest.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That is one nice-looking fan of cards. Everything looks pristine - to the point where I think they might be glued together.

I guess now's a great time:

FAVE FIVE JOBBERS

3. Barry Horowitz

Shit.

Fun fact: proper Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs wore only denim vests (no leather) up until the late 70s because wearing leather in the summer months made you look like a pussy who needed protective clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom