• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
That time Eddie started spraying blood was pretty messed up.

I dont really miss the days of every blading in nearly every match.

Honestly, I think there was more blood in the 80s than Attitude Era. At least for the first few years of the Golden Era. 2002-2005 had a ton of blading, but mostly from HBK and HHH trying to see how far they could go without dying every few weeks.

DMczaf

Oh, I forgot to post this:

Another drunken Friday night downtown, another delicious hotdog.

9SW8fQ9.jpg

Some of my friends had 2-3 of them, I had to stop at 1.

Alucard

Banned
LOL What the fuck am I watching? Big bearded guy spray painting another dude all white, putting a white cap on him, and painting on a clownish face on his or something. And the announcers sound like they're all into it.

Oh Japan. You so crazy.

Alucard

Banned
On-the-fly thoughts about NJPW The New Beginning Feb 9th:

-Opening match was pretty good fun. Wish Kota Ibushi had more offense, though.
-Minoru Suzuki vs. Lance Archer was...there. Too short to feel consequential. At least Archer didn't kick out of a pile driver.
-Third match has been...weird. Is this what a comedy match looks like in Japan? I don't know what I'm watching. Okay, now they're in the audience and tossing around some chairs. Getting better.

Showaddy

Taker gushing blood all over Lesnar and the camera in that cell always sticks with me. I kept having to remind myself the whole thing was fake when Lesnar ripped the cast of Taker's arm and battered it repeatedly. Shit was unreal.

Alucard

Banned
Okay, this third match sucks. The bald bearded guy looks hungover, and his partner's kicks look like they barely connect.

Kaladin

Oh, I forgot to post this:

Another drunken Friday night downtown, another delicious hotdog.

9SW8fQ9.jpg

Some of my friends had 2-3 of them, I had to stop at 1.

Why would you ruin a good hotdog like that?

Forget the ketchup, put the mustard on the bun, everything else on top is fine.....except maybe the potato chips.

XenoRaven

In NJPW, are ref rules different or something? Minoru Suzuki has put his hands on the ref twice in this match, one of which resulted in him getting knocked down, and he hasn't been disqualified.
I think the ref has more authority in terms of what they can DQ for and what they let go. Also, basically anything goes outside the ring, so you could hit a guy with a chair outside and not get DQ'ed.

Think of it like every match in Japan is like Earl Hebner calling a HHH match.

Alucard

Banned
Finished the third match. That was...dumb. They were choking each other out with cords, but as soon as the baby face grabbed the bald dude's claw and used it, his team got disqualified? What? Was that supposed to be a hardcore match, or wasn't it? I'm confused. Either way, it was bad. Wish I knew how to make animated gifs so I could put up some of the awkward-looking stuff from that match. Damn.

Onto match 4.

Best hot-dog ever; cream cheese spread in the bun, wrap the hotdog in streaky bacon, put a bit of mustard on top. Done.

-Minoru Suzuki vs. Lance Archer was...there. Too short to feel consequential. At least Archer didn't kick out of a pile driver.

That's Tama Tonga, not Lance Archer ;)

Alucard said:
-Third match has been...weird. Is this what a comedy match looks like in Japan? I don't know what I'm watching. Okay, now they're in the audience and tossing around some chairs. Getting better.

It's not really a comedy match, but it is a nothing of a match solely there to get the team of Nagata & Sakuraba over. Iizuka (the bald guy) & Yano matches are always the same; skipable.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Why would Trish vs Stephanie be on the list? Was there blood or a lot of male on female violence or something? If we're talking JBL, the match against Eddie where Eddie bled so much he went into shock should definitely be on there. Looking at pictures, though, it looks like that Cena match might have been even bloodier.

eddie.png

cena-bloody.jpg

The match with Cena was BRUTAL. Not as in bad but as in bloody.

One of my favorite matches ever. JBL was talking shit the entire build up and he just gave up like a bitch.

Hey dudes, how are your "best/favourite matches of 2014" lists coming along? Here is mine so far:

January
26 - Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt (WWE Royal Rumble) ****1/2

February
1 – AJ Styles vs. Roderick Strong (ROH) ****1/4
7 – Sheamus vs. Ryback (WWE Smackdown) ***
7 – Daniel Bryan vs. Antonio Cesaro (WWE Smackdown) ***1/4

---
Really enjoyed the two Smackdown matches this past week, so had to put 'em up there. Still waiting to put a TNA match on this list, and a NJPW match. Have a feeling I'll have a couple after I watch The New Beginning.
It's basically just Cesaro/Bryan and Wyatt/Bryan for me. Sheamus/Ryback was very good, i don't know if i'll remember it much by the end of the year as it is, but it could've been a GREAT PPV match.
Best hot-dog ever; cream cheese spread in the bun, wrap the hotdog in streaky bacon, put a bit of mustard on top. Done.
What the shit, cream cheese... in a hot dog?

At least we can all agree that ketchup on a hotdog is just wrong, right?

What the shit, cream cheese... in a hot dog?

It sounds crazy but, believe me, the saltiness of the hotdog and bacon goes really, really, really well with the cream cheese.

Kyoufu said:
But it's not a hot dog if it doesn't have onions.

If they're caramelised or crispy fried onions, then I'd consider putting them in.

Alucard

Banned
Tarver vs. Tenzan was...there. :-/

I dunno guys. I feel like you've been lying to me about the greatness of NJPW. Seems like it has the same upsides and downsides as any other promotion.

I dunno guys. I feel like you've been lying to me about the greatness of NJPW. Seems like it has the same upsides and downsides as any other promotion.

No one's been saying New Japan doesn't have a downside - the tag divisions and Jr's division are very weak at present and there's a lot of fluff on the undercard, but the reason New Japan's getting such praise in recent years is because of the quality of the in-ring work further up the card. Everything from intermission onwards is worth a watch and Nakamura vs Tanahashi in the main event is an easy **** 1/2 or higher.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
LOL What the fuck am I watching? Big bearded guy spray painting another dude all white, putting a white cap on him, and painting on a clownish face on his or something. And the announcers sound like they're all into it.

Oh Japan. You so crazy.
Iizuka has it out for Nogami and Nogami fails to strategize on how to not get tormented. I think he secretly loves it.

Alucard

Banned
No one's been saying New Japan doesn't have a downside - the tag divisions and Jr's division are very weak at present and there's a lot of fluff on the undercard, but the reason New Japan's getting such praise in recent years is because of the quality of the in-ring work further up the card. Everything from intermission onwards is worth a watch and Nakamura vs Tanahashi in the main event is an easy **** 1/2 or higher.

I'll keep watching. Excited for Tanahashi vs. Nakamura, but feel like I've had to slog through a bunch of meaningless stuff so far.

ghostmind

I'll keep watching. Excited for Tanahashi vs. Nakamura, but feel like I've had to slog through a bunch of meaningless stuff so far.

That's typical - NJPW likes to load their PPVs on the back end, and unless you are really into some of the specific wrestlers in the front half, it is going to feel that way.

The exception is tag matches, which they often like to lead off with. I think Tuesday's PPV starts with the Young Bucks vs. Time Splitters, which I have high hopes for.

ghostmind

Let's take a look at the Tuesday card:

1. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Time Splitters (Alex Shelley and Kushida) Tag team match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
*Looking forward to this - has potential for some great moments*

2 Katsuyori Shibata vs. Yoshi-Hashi Singles match
*I'm a new fan of Shibata, so any chance I get to see him beat someone up is a good thing. Plus I think YOSHI-HASHI made a good showing for himself at the PPV last night.*

3 Bullet Club (Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson and Tama Tonga) vs. Suzukigun (Davey Boy Smith, Jr., Lance Archer and Minoru Suzuki) Six-man tag team match
*This will probably be a clusterfuck with a few power moves to highlight it. I wonder if Tama Tonga will be hung out to dry again?*

4 Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and Prince Devitt) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi and Togi Makabe Tag team match
*This could go either way - at least the Devitt/Taguchi parts should be decent.*

5 Big Daddy Yum-Yum and Michael Tarver vs. Ten-Koji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima) Tag team match for the #1 contendership to the NWA World Tag Team Championship
*Oh god no.*

6 Daniel Gracie and Rolles Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba and Yuji Nagata Tag team match
*Oh god no, part 2*

7 Hiroshi Tanahashi and Jushin Liger vs. Chaos (Shinsuke Nakamura and Yujiro Takahashi) Tag team match
*This could be fun, but not really feeling it.*

8 Kota Ibushi (c) vs. El Desperado Singles match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
*This is more like it! Should be a great match-up!*

9 Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii Singles match for the NEVER Openweight Championship
*Hopefully Ishii beats down Naito and takes the NEVER title. This probably won't be a spotfest, but expect a lot of chops and headbutts.*

10 Kazuchika Okada (c) (with Gedo) vs. Hirooki Goto Singles match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
*I'm running lukewarm on Goto since his return. Okada has had the belt for a while now though - maybe it is time?*

Alucard

Banned
That's typical - NJPW likes to load their PPVs on the back end, and unless you are really into some of the specific wrestlers in the front half, it is going to feel that way.

The exception is tag matches, which they often like to lead off with. I think Tuesday's PPV starts with the Young Bucks vs. Time Splitters, which I have high hopes for.

Based on what I've seen of The Time Splitters, they're my favourite thing in NJPW. A match against The Young Bucks sounds like it would be pretty great.

Big Daddy Yum Yum vs. Satoshi Kojima was pretty good, but Yum Yum's ring gear is awful. I wonder if New Japan picked that out for him. Pink and yellow leopard tights and knee pads? A jungle theme for a black wrestler? Uhh-kay.

Gonna take a break and watch the second half later. I'm sure you guys are right about the second half being more loaded than the first. The first half had me doing this face for most of it:

so_unimpressed.jpg

Ithil

WWE ascribes to the "peaks and valleys" design for shows. NJPW on the other hands likes to stack its shows with its matches increasing in importance and impressiveness one after the other.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
WWE ascribes to the "peaks and valleys" design for shows. NJPW on the other hands likes to stack its shows with its matches increasing in importance and impressiveness one after the other.

Then Big Daddy Yum-Yum and Michael Tarver vs. Ten-Koji should happen in the parking lot 4 hours before the show.

The Gracie's match should happen 3 hours before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom