• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iRZ2v5opoPl7c.gif

somedevil

Just listening to a recent interview with Triple H, and he says the process for people being called up from NXT is that he brings people he wants to bring up to Vince and shows them why he wants to, then Vince makes the decision on whether they will be brought up and if so, how they will be brought up.

So blame Vince if you were displeased with Emma's debut.

I see Vince in the difference between how they brought up Xavier Woods and how they are bringing up Rusev.

The interesting one is Bray Wyatt because Vince didn't come up with how they handled his debut because it was very original. It seems Bray is unique because all his promos are written by him and two writers who are big fans of his character.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Emma took forever to get over in NXT. FOREVER.

She also had to prove her wrasslin chops. Starting with the dance was ok but she really needs a program with someone decent like Summer Rae.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Emma was over after only a couple of months, to be honest.

That's a decent amount of time in NXT land. Remember its the same damn people watching her week in and week out.

There's other people who that crowd has taken to right away or dismissed right away.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
fighting game guy should watch njpw so that move can get a

ULTRA OKADA
ULTRA COUNTER SHIBATA
DOUBLE ULTRA HYPER FINISH

Showaddy

I see Vince in the difference between how they brought up Xavier Woods and how they are bringing up Rusev.

The interesting one is Bray Wyatt because Vince didn't come up with how they handled his debut because it was very original. It seems Bray is unique because all his promos are written by him and two writers who are big fans of his character.

Bray's got a hell of a lot going for him. Great gimmick, great mic skills, 3rd generation superstar, wholly WWE developed, young, decent ring worker.

If he had a 6 pack instead of that keg he carries around Vince would push him to the moon.

Kaladin

Bray's got a hell of a lot going for him. Great gimmick, great mic skills, 3rd generation superstar, wholly WWE developed, young, decent ring worker.

If he had a 6 pack instead of that keg he carries around Vince would push him to the moon.

He is very husky.

Alucard

Banned
WWE ascribes to the "peaks and valleys" design for shows. NJPW on the other hands likes to stack its shows with its matches increasing in importance and impressiveness one after the other.

I prefer the peaks and valleys approach with a nice incline to the top in the final 2-3 matches.

Alucard

Banned
Anyone here listen to Talk is Jericho? His 2 part interview with Chavo Guerrero was really good. Lots of emotional talk and details regarding Eddie's and Benoit's deaths, and Chavo taking a couple of jabs at John Cena and DX.

I prefer the peaks and valleys approach with a nice incline to the top in the final 2-3 matches.

That's just not really the style in Japanese wrestling - they'll always put on very top-heavy cards, no matter the promotion. Also, today's New Beginning show might have had a fairly weak undercard, but that's doesn't mean the undercard always fails to deliver, just that they're given less time than matches higher up the billing.

I think there's merit to both ways of doing things, but one aspect of the Japanese style I like is that the preliminary matches can often be an opportunity for the current crop of young lions (student wrestlers) to work in front of a larger audience, but that doesn't really fit in with the WWE style that strives to provide a steady level of quality throughout.

UberTag

I wonder how much of those things he'll still have once Cena gets through with him.
The Miz never recovered.

You have to remember new japan spilt the PPV in 2

Yeah, also this - the New Beginning cards are weaker because half the title matches are on the other show, whereas normally it'd be one big PPV.

Incidentally, I think it's cool that both shows sold out days before the event - a lot of people were questioning New Japan's ambition, but that ambition seems to be paying off so far.

Valentus

So, if Sting finally comes to the E, which Sting are we gonna get?

Joker Sting?
Crow Sting?
Surfer Sting?
Surfer Sting with his Sidekick Robocop?

So Jericho had Edge on his TALK is JERICHO show. They go in-depth about the Summerslam 2010 elimination tag match main event with The Nexus.

Edge said they pushed hard for Wade Barrett to go over in the main event because of how red hot The Nexus angle was at the time. But Cena "wasn't feeling it". He suggested the whole DDT-on-the-concrete spot and that he come back from it to beat both Barrett and Justin Gabriel. They went with it because who's going to tell Cena "no"?

jmdajr

So Jericho had Edge on his TALK is JERICHO show. They go in-depth about the Summerslam 2010 elimination tag match main event with The Nexus.

Edge said they pushed hard for Wade Barrett to go over in the main event because of how red hot The Nexus angle was at the time. But Cena "wasn't feeling it". He suggested the whole DDT-on-the-concrete spot and that he come back from it to beat both Barrett and Justin Gabriel. They went with it because who's going to tell Cena "no"?
Cena admitted he was wrong

Yessir. Mechashiva has a better lay of the land than I do. There's SRPW and more.
Not much in the way of quality. There's a few guys that are good. For almost all of them you're looking at cell phone matches. There's a group out of Lawton, OK called IZW. For a short period of time they were broadcasting on that comcast sports network and people in Philly wondered what the fuck they were watching. Now they do weekly gfl ippv's.
You can learn about current promotions and see some terrible gimmick names at oklafan.com. Feel free to shoot me any specific questions or if you're looking for something let me know.
It's a shame most of the opw footage is lost. Late 90s there was a solid promotion that ran out if the bowling alley every week.

So I just watched Smackdown

bryancesarowtfxzkvy.gif

holy fucking shit

That was so awesome. I was glued to that whole match even though Bryan was obviously going to win. I hope they fight each other in a 30 minute PPV match someday soon.

o Jericho had Edge on his TALK is JERICHO show. They go in-depth about the Summerslam 2010 elimination tag match main event with The Nexus.

Ugh... and I was JUST getting over the whole DDT on concrete thing... thanks for bringing that up.

BTW, who does John Cena EVER elevate by feuding with them? He's killed the Miz, Barrett, Ryback, strong cases can be made that Del Rio and Ziggler were hurt, and I'm not giving him credit for Bryan because he was way over before that. I guess Punk is the one guy you can point to who actually was elevated by feuding with Superman.

I'M SO SORRY BRAY.

My enjoyment of Bryan/Cesaro was hampered by SD's rather shitty crowd, granted SD might always be like this and I don't watch it enough to remember, all I recall are seagull pops.

strobogo

Banned
Not much in the way of quality. There's a few guys that are good. For almost all of them you're looking at cell phone matches. There's a group out of Lawton, OK called IZW. For a short period of time they were broadcasting on that comcast sports network and people in Philly wondered what the fuck they were watching. Now they do weekly gfl ippv's.
You can learn about current promotions and see some terrible gimmick names at oklafan.com. Feel free to shoot me any specific questions or if you're looking for something let me know.
It's a shame most of the opw footage is lost. Late 90s there was a solid promotion that ran out if the bowling alley every week.

I figured OKC area was big enough they might have some local stuff. I should go to an indie show somewhere during this trip if I can find one. Even a shitty one.

strobogo

Banned
When are you down? How long? Just Okc?

Okc has MSWA which is IZW's satellite and is alright.

Not sure. I'm leaving from around Indy probably Tuesday or Wednesday and going on a road trip to Huntington Beach. So I might be to OKC are Friday or Saturday maybe depending on how much I do per day. I was thinking 10 hours a day of driving would be enough, then I could wander around whatever little place I stop at for a bit and sleep. Might meet up with Sunny if he's going to buy me a steak dinner. And hit up a shitty indie so he can see my agony in person.

Alucard

Banned
So I just watched Smackdown

bryancesarowtfxzkvy.gif

holy fucking shit

Freak%2BOut%2BGif.gif

Watch indie wrestling and you'll see moves like that all day. Whether that's a bad thing or good thing is up to you.

Btw, really wish Dragon Kid got on WWE or TNA after seeing that Bryan gif again. :(

dragonkidbiopic.jpg

Not sure. I'm leaving from around Indy probably Tuesday or Wednesday and going on a road trip to Huntington Beach. So I might be to OKC are Friday or Saturday maybe depending on how much I do per day. I was thinking 10 hours a day of driving would be enough, then I could wander around whatever little place I stop at for a bit and sleep. Might meet up with Sunny if he's going to buy me a steak dinner. And hit up a shitty indie so he can see my agony in person.

SWCW is a beautiful train wreck and is running Saturday night in Okc. Sunny and I are Tulsa though. I'd think you're passing through there on the way to Okc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom