• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not much in the way of quality. There's a few guys that are good. For almost all of them you're looking at cell phone matches. There's a group out of Lawton, OK called IZW. For a short period of time they were broadcasting on that comcast sports network and people in Philly wondered what the fuck they were watching. Now they do weekly gfl ippv's.
You can learn about current promotions and see some terrible gimmick names at oklafan.com. Feel free to shoot me any specific questions or if you're looking for something let me know.
It's a shame most of the opw footage is lost. Late 90s there was a solid promotion that ran out if the bowling alley every week.
I went to OPW during that time. Lot of good memories, a couple shameful ones too. Someone threw a chair into the ring and it opened up Bull Schmidt and my buddy and I jumped up and cheered. Kinda shameful in retrospect, he was taken away and couldn't finish the match.

Loved the hell out of Great Bolo. That fool came out to Misirlou. Good stuff.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
1888643_460489350747127_523013729_n.jpg
Punk fell off the wagon.

I went to OPW during that time. Lot of good memories, a couple shameful ones too. Someone threw a chair into the ring and it opened up Bull Schmidt and my buddy and I jumped up and cheered. Kinda shameful in retrospect, he was taken away and couldn't finish the match.

Loved the hell out of Great Bolo. That fool came out to Misirlou. Good stuff.
I manged and then took a stunner from Schmidt last summer!

FyreWulff

So Jericho had Edge on his TALK is JERICHO show. They go in-depth about the Summerslam 2010 elimination tag match main event with The Nexus.

Edge said they pushed hard for Wade Barrett to go over in the main event because of how red hot The Nexus angle was at the time. But Cena "wasn't feeling it". He suggested the whole DDT-on-the-concrete spot and that he come back from it to beat both Barrett and Justin Gabriel. They went with it because who's going to tell Cena "no"?

Just another awesome angle in a long line of awesome angles that died due to stupid shit before it's time.

Carnby

Anyone here listen to Talk is Jericho? His 2 part interview with Chavo Guerrero was really good. Lots of emotional talk and details regarding Eddie's and Benoit's deaths, and Chavo taking a couple of jabs at John Cena and DX.

Where do I go to listen to Jericho's, Austin's, and J.R.'s podcasts? I'm very interested in listening to the Jericho podcast you just described.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's Lawton, I can't go but it definitely could be life changing.

Ah hell Lawton is a ways. I hate Lawton.

Lawton looks pretty far out of the way. Probably won't do that. But the idea sounds great.

Broke down in Lawton when I was 18. Almost got hit by a car as I decided to RUN ACROSS THE HIGHWAY AT NIGHT seeking help. I woulda deserved it!

Alucard

Banned
Back to watching NJPW:

Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Yujiro Takahashi

Hoping the second half of this show is better than the first.

RBH

102913_andre-hulk_600.jpg

This Valentine’s Day, NBCUniversal will either be giving WWE a big kiss or they’ll be breaking up.

The two parties are grappling over continuation of the sport-meets-reality TV programming on NBCUniversal’s USA Network and SyFy Channel.

An exclusive negotiating period ended last week with no deal in sight. We hear the pressure is on for a deal to get done in the next few days.

An industry source told On the Money, “NBCU has until Friday, Feb. 14, to respond to WWE’s final offer.”

It’s not clear where the price tag stands, but reports have suggested the last deal was priced at $140 million, and the WWE had been looking for a leap up that gives it a similar premium accorded to sports rights.

WWE — which announced the launch of its own over-the-top network for wrestling fans at CES — is one of the few things on TV ( besides sports) that fans want to watch live.

The question is, how badly does NBCU want to keep it? And where will it land if the two parties split up?

Next week, something could be very raw, and someone could be writhing in pain on the mat.

Stay tuned.
http://nypost.com/2014/02/08/valentines-breakup-nbcuniversal-and-wwe-may-split-up/

strobogo

Banned
If I'm going to take an hour long detour, it will probably be in California so I can go see a comedy show at the Ice House. Although I see no Deathsquad people there. I need to see Brody Stevens live.

Just another awesome angle in a long line of awesome angles that died due to stupid shit before it's time.

I like how everybody believes Edge & Jericho, simple because they're slamming John Cena, who's the worst person in the world. Here's a clue, if a wrestler is talking, he's working you. Also, Cena could've wanted that finish as much as he wanted, but Vince was the final arbiter of what actually happens.

Alucard

Banned
Okay, that tag match was very good. It just made my list of favourite matches of 2014. Good start to the second half of NJPW The New Beginning.

Toki767

Realistically I think Vince wants to stay with NBC as much as NBC wants to keep WWE programming. They aren't going to go to the highest bidder if NBC gives them anywhere near the amount they're asking for.

Malvingt2

well

The following photo was sent to us by a Redditor and features CM Punk with who appears to be his good friend Chez. Social media has been rampant with talk that Punk is holding the Bud Light pictured but it appears his friend is holding the beer and Punk is taking the photo

Toki767

NBC really hasn't had a hit TV show in a long time have they? Since Heroes maybe? I could definitely see them just putting Smackdown on broadcast TV on Fridays. WWE doesn't want Smackdown on Thursdays anymore I think. They want either Tuesday to tape live or Friday for maximum edit time.

jred2k

well

The following photo was sent to us by a Redditor and features CM Punk with who appears to be his good friend Chez. Social media has been rampant with talk that Punk is holding the Bud Light pictured but it appears his friend is holding the beer and Punk is taking the photo

Someone needs to photoshop in a crazy straw going to his mouth so it can be case closed.

strobogo

Banned
Smackdown needs to be live. It's the only the way the crowds are going to not be silent and the shows will actually have some energy to go along with what are usually solid cards of matches.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NBC really hasn't had a hit TV show in a long time have they? Since Heroes maybe? I could definitely see them just putting Smackdown on broadcast TV on Fridays. WWE doesn't want Smackdown on Thursdays anymore I think. They want either Tuesday to tape live or Friday for maximum edit time.

The Voice.

They'd go live on Thursday/Friday if they got on flagship NBC.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They don't want it to be live since it would cost more money to do a live production, but the idea is that they are "ready" to do it only if they have to.

Being on flagship NBC would get them a ton of extra viewers just because of the expanded free OTA audience and extra exposure. It's the only way they'd ever go live again for SD.

RBH

They don't want it to be live since it would cost more money to do a live production, but the idea is that they are "ready" to do it only if they have to.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

To make its show more attractive, WWE is considering a live version of its two-hour “SmackDown,” which currently is taped on Tuesday before its Friday airing. To do that, costs to produce the series would increase, due to scheduling, and the show would likely need to move to a new night. But WWE would be willing to make the switch in return for a better fee for the series.
http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/wwe-aims-to-pin-down-rich-new-tv-rights-deals-exclusive-1200966579/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom