• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychi

Banned
I think Ryback should take Goldbergs gimmick head on. The look, mannerisms, outfit, music, and even insist that they call him Goldberg. Almost like a Gilberg mockery, but with him actually hurting folks.
If wwe owns all of that, I'm 100% positive that bill would come back. They should have Ryback go on a ridiculous streak as ryback-Goldberg. Get him up to 200-0, but keep ryback as ryback as a separate character. Have ryback-ryback lose to people like santino, have ryback-Goldberg win every match. Have ryback-ryback challenge ryback-Goldberg and at whatever ppv, have the real Goldberg come out when ryback-Goldberg is supposed to.

jmdajr

If wwe owns all of that, I'm 100% positive that bill would come back. They should have Ryback go on a ridiculous streak as ryback-Goldberg. Get him up to 200-0, but keep ryback as ryback as a separate character. Have ryback-ryback lose to people like santino, have ryback-Goldberg win every match. Have ryback-ryback challenge ryback-Goldberg and at whatever ppv, have the real Goldberg come out when ryback-Goldberg is supposed to.

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

krae_man

The potato Christian got at the house show the night before was probably on purpose at the request of Vince knowing he wanted to have Christian cut this promo the next day.

Nebula

Vince should be smoking whatever you're smoking. That would be amazing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WWE doesn't have anyone good enough to end the streak. Because they don't know how to book new talent anymore. You can't have an 'up and comer' beat Undertaker. You have to have a guy who was an up and comer like three years ago and this being the thing that cements his status as top dog.

They don't have anything like that because they constantly make their workers look terrible once their push is over.

UberTag

WWE doesn't have anyone good enough to end the streak. Because they don't know how to book new talent anymore. You can't have an 'up and comer' beat Undertaker. You have to have a guy who was an up and comer like three years ago and this being the thing that cements his status as top dog.

They don't have anything like that because they constantly make their workers look terrible once their push is over.
They haven't made Roman Reigns look terrible.
And they clearly know how to book new talent based on his track record since being elevated to the main roster.
Two pinfall defeats total in 15-16 months only after getting nailed by multiple finishers.
The WWE World Heavyweight champion got pinned twice in 2 days this week like a complete jobber.

It's not that the WWE doesn't know how to book new talent any more. They do. They just choose NOT to get behind most of their new young talent because they earmark them for certain enhancement level talent roles because of their look. Hence the 50/50 booking.

But when they really choose to get behind a guy... like Roman Reigns... they're just as effective about it as they've always been. In fact they're probably better at it now because they've taken their time with Reigns instead of elevating him too fast like they've done in the past with the likes of Bobby Lashley, Sheamus and Tensai.

With the way he's getting booked right now, Roman Reigns could be set up to beat the streak at WrestleMania 31 and be credible in doing it.

BgPtY-2IAAAmg8p.jpg

Alex Riley has no business being on the SmackDown pre-show panel. Albert/Tensai, Booker and Renee are fine. Get them somebody better for a 4th panelist.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Roman Reigns is exactly that 'up and comer' you could have said they booked Ryback well if you went by the same metric. Tell me how Roman's doing a year after his first title win then we'll tlak

Drew McIntyre tweeted a pic of him getting stiches in his eye after his match with Big E

I like big E but he's stalled in terms of direction (no surprise every midcard champ does) and recently busted 3 people open, think he'll get punished soon

UberTag

Do you think were more likely to see Undertaker lose at 'Mania or retire undefeated and have some future Superstar break his record?
I think it's more likely that the streak gets broken (which I still don't believe will happen) than to see someone else best 21-0 at WrestleMania. There might not even be a WrestleMania in 21 years. So obviously Taker losing to Cena or Reigns in the next year or two is more likely than the streak being bested by someone else.

Watched Baba vs Harley for the NWA title from 1980 - these two fought a ton throughout the 70's and traded the belt back and forth a couple of times between '79 and '80, this being one of those occasions. Harley wrestles a straight match, which is what ultimately leads to his downfall, as while Baba's body is definitely showing a lot of wear & tear, he's still a powerful opponent who has no problem throwing the rotund Race about the ring. He was still doing his dropkick and leaping neckbreaker at this point as well, which the crowd pop big for. The return match was just 5 days later and, on that occasion, Harley didn't fuck around, bloodying Baba & himself in a crazy 10 minute brawl to get his belt back. Anywho, worth checking out if you haven't seen it before, Baba's a fun guy to watch. He was very much like Andre, in that you could tell he was just having a ton of fun in the ring, which really makes his matches enjoyable in spite of their flaws. Also, I love Harley Race selling. He's ridiculous, but it works;

Harley Race (c) vs Giant Baba - NWA World Heavyweight Title - (AJPW 09/04/80)

iknJhCCFbr3rn.gif

ibj6VUPSrm1G7W.gif

ip92BU5808Fu0.gif

kirblar

Drew McIntyre tweeted a pic of him getting stiches in his eye after his match with Big E

I like big E but he's stalled in terms of direction (no surprise every midcard champ does) and recently busted 3 people open, think he'll get punished soon
He'll drop it as soon as Black History Month's over.
To second dragozords point. wWE does a good job building guys up just to be fed I CENA.
That's been a huge problem - they treat those guys like they would in the ''80s and earlier, when they'd just get fed to him and then they'd move out to another promotion once they've peaked. That's not a good way to do things in the modern era.

somedevil

To second dragozords point. WWE does a good job building guys up just to be fed To Cena

No one has come out of a Cena feud unscathed .

The thing is he is a face so Reigns is not going to face Cena. Also, Bryan, Edge and Punk have faced Cena and came out fine.

edit: The video above is funny because they are friends again. I don't take that video seriously because I bet both of them were not clean when that video was shot.

Showaddy

That's been a huge problem - they treat those guys like they would in the ''80s and earlier, when they'd just get fed to him and then they'd move out to another promotion once they've peaked. That's not a good way to do things in the modern era.

Yeah all logic dictates that Bray should beat Cena at Mania. It won't happen though, even though Cena's got nothing to gain from burying a young talent and nothing to lose by putting him over either.

Big E is ridiculous. All he does is run into people and can't do that right. I don't even understand why he still has that belt...hell, I don't know why he had to begin with. His biggest feud since the title was with Curtis Axel and he hasn't done anything since.

UberTag

Yeah all logic dictates that Bray should beat Cena at Mania. It won't happen though, even though Cena's got nothing to gain from burying a young talent and nothing to lose by putting him over either.
People whom Cena has lost to at WrestleMania:
- Dwayne
- The Miz (credit that one to Dwayne as well)
- Randy Orton

That's it.

Punk has that whole Kevin Nash/HHH thing. Plus was in cena's shadow his whole title reign .

2012-10-03-labors-cmpunk.jpg

Bryan ill give credit . A lesser man would have been buried in the fall .

UberTag

Just to counter those two points.
- Neither of those guys were heels.
- CM Punk was made to look like a bitch multiple times against Cena and lost repeatedly and looked worse after facing him up until MITB 2011.
- Daniel Bryan was already super-over; even Cena's almighty burial powers couldn't undermine him; if anything, beating D.Brine would have made Bryan more over than losing to him.

Edge is the only heel to feud with Cena and come out looking good afterwards.

Showaddy

People whom Cena has lost to at WrestleMania:
- Dwayne
- The Miz (credit that one to Dwayne as well)
- Randy Orton

That's it.

You'd think that Vince/Hunter would say: "All right you're almost 37 now and we really, really need a credible top heel. If you lose the kids will still buy your shitty merch and if you win everyone else will still think you're a joke. Wyatt's our most promising heel and he's 10 years younger than you so if you could put him over and not bury him half way to China that'd be great".

In reality they probably think everyone will start cheering Cena if he wrecks the whole Wyatt Family with 1 AA...

Gorillaz

You'd think that Vince/Hunter would say: "All right you're almost 37 now and we really, really need a credible top heel. If you lose the kids will still buy your shitty merch and if you win everyone else will still think you're a joke. Wyatt's our most promising heel and he's 10 years younger than you so if you could put him over and not bury him half way to China that'd be great".

In reality they probably think everyone will start cheering Cena if he wrecks the whole Wyatt Family with 1 AA...

That's the problem. People will cheer that. It's the split between cena's fanbase and everyone else.

Sephzilla

I still think Cena being a huge merchandise machine is a bit of a myth. If another wrestler got the same Hogan-tier push that Cena got, and trotted out to the ring in new merchandise every 3 months, he'd be a top seller too.

Hell, Bryan's #4 and he's not even their top face, doesn't get nearly the exposure Cena overall, and his shirts are god awful on top of it.

one of the worst workers i've ever seen and one that makes me think people have been sniffing glue when they say they love him.

horrible wrestler, unsafe, zero personality, short, unimposing hoss.

"but his Twitter!!!" yeah, no one gives a shit.

he screams, strips his one piece and does his finisher. that's the extent of his on-screen personality.

And that's his fault?

He's was extremely entertaining on NXT and his 5 gimmick is enjoyable. I don't see how that is his fault when he isn't given the chance to say anything. Same with Ryback.

strobogo

Banned
Made it all the way to Clinton, OK before tapping out for the day. I blasted right through Tulsa because all the tolls fucking everywhere pissed me off so much that I refused to do anything that would contribute to the area. Why didn't you warn me about the tolls, Sunny? YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE MY FRIEND!

Hung out at the OKC memorial for a bit. What is the big golden dome thing in OKC? I'll probably get to ABQ tomorrow.

Fucking tolls.

Entropia

No One Remembers
one of the worst workers i've ever seen and one that makes me think people have been sniffing glue when they say they love him.

horrible wrestler, unsafe, zero personality, short, unimposing hoss.

"but his Twitter!!!" yeah, no one gives a shit.

But we all loved Zack Ryder!!

Made it all the way to Clinton, OK before tapping out for the day. I blasted right through Tulsa because all the tolls fucking everywhere pissed me off so much that I refused to do anything that would contribute to the area. Why didn't you warn me about the tolls, Sunny? YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE MY FRIEND!

Hung out at the OKC memorial for a bit. What is the big golden dome thing in OKC? I'll probably get to ABQ tomorrow.

Fucking tolls.

I kept reading that as "Trolls"

Fucking tolls.
Pics.

Ultratech

Fucking tolls.

Yeah, tolls aren't fun.

Usually you can get around them, though you end up going slower in the process.

(I've got a few around where I'm out I'm at and try to avoid getting on them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom