• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
I hope not, none of this "Batista was weakened by Orton" bullshit please. Just a straight-up three way and a clean win is the way to go at this point.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I hope not, none of this "Batista was weakened by Orton" bullshit please. Just a straight-up three way and a clean win is the way to go at this point.

Nothing wrong with that kind of booking. Then that'd give Bryan something to do for the next few months. Gotta look forward, not just to a big payoff.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nothing wrong with that kind of booking. Then that'd give Bryan something to do for the next few months. Gotta look forward, not just to a big payoff.

I just think we're beyond that right now. If this whole storyline and all the bullshit surrounding it doesn't end with that big WrestleMania win... I dunno, it just falls flat imo.

I mean, it would be great and all, it just wouldn't be perfect. And damnit, Daniel Bryan deserves that perfect WrestleMania moment!

Besides, you'd still have the crowd shitting all over Batista vs. Orton for 30 minutes, waiting for the match to be over for that Bryan moment.

Cena was on Austin's latest podcast. Psyched to listen to it as Cena rarely does this kind of stuff. Some quotes from the interview posted on prowrestling.net:

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/WWE/article10035887.shtml

Listened to this last night. I have to say this was one of Steve's best interviews. Probably his most high-profile active wrestler interview.

It was definitely insightful. His life is wrestling. Nothing else. Probably why his house his is so barren, he has no real hobbies, etc. Unlike Hunner, he doesn't do the whole back-stage politics and pitch stories. He just does whatever the company asks, which is probably why he's in the position he's in (kind of like Miz if he had the mic work, physique, work ethic).

I'd love for Stone Cold to interview Phil.

RIP Viscera/Mabel. I remember Men on a Mission, King Mabel, Viscera, etc.

jmdajr

Remember the last new generation? Chris Masters, Carlito, JoMo, Miz, Snitsky, Gunner Scott, Heidenriech, Shelton. Lashley, Orlando Jordan, Rene Dupree.

Getting back to the idea of Cena not being planned to be THE guy, I think it was clear that Orton was ho they wanted in that spot from the start. He got the big push before Cena and Bateaster, got the title before them...and then HHH cut him down so low that it took Orton 5 years to recover. That made no sense to me since Orton was one of their handpicked guys and HHH himself picked Orton to be in Evolution. Worst HHH burial of all time in my opinion. I think they had high hopes for Shelton as well, but dude just couldn't make that connection with crowds except for the mini feud with HHH. And the truly bad promos.

Randy didn't deserve it. He was immature and couldn't be the face of the company. Heh funny how that is a storyline now, but back then it was for real.

Dude also had tons of injuries. No one likes his style it seems, but it keeps him from getting injured. That and firing the likes of Mr. Kennedy helps!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just think we're beyond that right now. If this whole storyline and all the bullshit surrounding it doesn't end with that big WrestleMania win... I dunno, it just falls flat imo.

I mean, it would be great and all, it just wouldn't be perfect. And damnit, Daniel Bryan deserves that perfect WrestleMania moment!

Besides, you'd still have the crowd shitting all over Batista vs. Orton for 30 minutes, waiting for the match to be over for that Bryan moment.

A couple things:

Who HAS had a "perfect" Wrestlemania moment?

Why do you think Bryan deserves one?

jmdajr

A couple things:

Who HAS had a "perfect" Wrestlemania moment?

Ultimate Warrior.

hulkwarrior3-wm6.jpg

Sephzilla

Dat Guardians of the Galaxy trailer

Flair vs HBK Mania 24.....HBK sealing his legacy as Mr. Wrestlmania, and the end of a legend.

That was a fantastic moment.

I'd also nominate Hollywood Hogan Hulking Up for the first time in years when he fought Rock at WM18. He didn't win the match, but that's the main thing I remember from that match mainly because I marked out so fucking hard right then (and I'm not even really a big Hogan fan).

Carnby

You know what is funny?

Thanks to the network the whole idea of PPV matches gets devaluated.

Hardly. TV is still free, and PPVs still require a Network subscription. RAW and Smack Down will always be a commercial to convince the viewer to purchase the PPV or subscribe to the network for the PPV.

I wish Hunter would dedicate 30-45 minutes of Raw and Smackdown toward the women. A vignette, a decent match (10-15 minutes) and maybe a video package.

Trinity, Natalya, Emma, Summer Rae, Page, Alicia Foxx, A.J. are decent to great talent.

It really does seem like there isn't a great direction with the company. With all of the programming, it really shouldn't be so hard to develop talent. Focus on the main event talent on Raw. Sprinkle some of the main event on SD and use it to focus more on the midcard.

I also agree that they should really focus on storylines, video packages to hype the talent up, etc. The reason why UFC's end of the year PPV did a million buys is because it had compelling matches. They need to stop "giving" away some of the matches or rehashing them over and over again. Make the PPVs special (obviously that's out of the window now with the network).

Phil?

You mean Punk? Sure, he will get to him eventually somewhere down the line.

I'm trying to be smart like the Genius/Damien Sandow.

And Wrestlemania moments. Taker the last few years. Ultimate Warrior at WM6. Savage at WM4. There have been a lot of moments.

I think the issue the last few years is all of the moments have been reserved for Cena and Taker. They really have done a poor job of building new superstars (quoting John Cena). Daniel could have a huge one this year but they've backed themselves in a corner with Brock being #1 contender, Bautista being #1 contender.

I know all you marks want to marry Emma but she had no chance of coming up to RAW with the same gimmick and getting over; sad but true.

True based on what? You clearly astonishing intuition? The same intuition that calls the NXT crowd smarks who only get off on indie guys and don't understand humour when non-indie guys like Enzo, Breeze, Emma, and even Santino are over on NXT because they're funny? Calm down mark and think before you write another essay.

On a final note saying people won't watch female wrestlers wrestle doesn't make much sense when it hasn't been allowed to happen since Mickie/Trish, especially when you look at the draw that the TNA Knockouts division had. No shit women wrestlers actually wrestling wrestling doesn't garner any interest because it never fucking happens in the WWE. Even looking outside of wrestling the only female in the company that was given a chance develop her own character was AJ and the crowd went nuts for her in and out of matches so there's a clear president for the current audience wanting interesting female characters.

Aiii

So not worth it
On a final note saying people won't watch female wrestlers wrestle doesn't make much sense when it hasn't been allowed to happen since Mickie/Trish, especially when you look at the draw that the TNA Knockouts division had. No shit women wrestlers actually wrestling wrestling doesn't garner any interest because it never fucking happens in the WWE. Even looking outside of wrestling the only female in the company that was given a chance develop her own character was AJ and the crowd went nuts for her in and out of matches so there's a clear president for the current audience wanting interesting female characters.

AJ actually disclosed that a couple of the segments she did with Kaitlyn on Smackdown were the highest rated segments of the night.
This is where you make silly jokes about AJ being wrong, me being a mark or AJ not being a draw etc. Have at it.

Sephzilla

Hawt. Reigns should fight Batista at Mania but wear a green cloak instead of his SWAT stuff. Bill the match as Drax the Destroyer vs Roman The Accuser. YOU'RE WELCOME DISNEY.

GET THIS MAN A FUCKING MEDAL

But really, I'm hyped for that movie. It also cements just how far ahead Marvel is compared to DC with movies. DC is still hasnt gotten Wonder Woman on screen, meanwhile Marvel has a machine gun wielding racoon and a talking tree and not only does the movie not look horrible it looks fantastic.

DiscoJon

Banned
Most of you guys were either little kids or not born yet when this happened, but for me and anyone past the age of 35, this was a huge, HUGE moment in wrestling. Hell, I still remember getting into heated arguments during grade school about how Hogan would retain (I could see that Warrior was a fraud from the get go) and how much crap I got when he lost.

jmdajr

Most of you guys were either little kids or not born yet when this happened, but for me and anyone past the age of 35, this was a huge, HUGE moment in wrestling. Hell, I still remember getting into heated arguments during grade school about how Hogan would retain (I could see that Warrior was a fraud from the get go) and how much crap I got when he lost.

I watched this LIVE on PPV. No doubt it was a big fucking deal.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mable was also in Wrong Side of Town with Dave Batista. If that's not a reason to watch that film I don't know what is!

Ithil

Bf47UbeCcAERMvo.png:large

I know all you marks want to marry Emma but she had no chance of coming up to RAW with the same gimmick and getting over; sad but true. two decades of 3 minute Divas matches with hairpulling, rollups and botches everywhere have doomed any female wrestler who wants to get over by wrestling on RAW. people won't respond to her wrestling ability because Divas matches = toilet break and channel change, nestled as they are in that rating deadzone every week.

people do, however, respond to Santino. he is funny. NXT is an audience of smarks who cheer for heels and don't respond well to anyone who doesn't fit the indie wrestling template to their exact approval. RAW is an audience of kids and casual fans who buy more John Cena merchandise than anyone else. Emma and Santino are good enough in their roles to make it work, plus while you were all freaking out about the romance angle, they were running a VT showing Emma in NXT doing WRASSLING.

this way she gets a few matches with Summer Rae and we know from NXT they are capable of putting on a good show, they are separate from the toxic Divasverse and she can leech Santino's comedy pop until the audience starts to appreciate her on her own.

and to be honest, that gif is great, the camerawork is excellent, the way Fandango just slides in from out of sight, perfect form. probably the best segment of RAW for me.

They don't "cheer for heels" in NXT, they cheer for what's entertaining. All the heel Divas for instance are booed, Bo Dallas of course is booed, the Ascension, Corey Graves, etc. The heels that are cheered are the likes of Cesaro, Tyler Breeze, etc. They even turned Enzo Amore and Emma face due to fan reactions.

They are certainly a more hardcore, smark crowd, but I see no reason you can't approach what made someone over there on the main roster in an intelligent way. That being said, WWE Creative.

Ryo Saito and Biff Busick are off the DGUSA shows this weekend.

Still probably going to order Saturday's show, but it's kinda ridiculous that they're going head to head with WWE on Sunday night. Good luck with that.

Also, the injury to Saito exposes how ridiculous the talent exchange between Dragon Gate and DGUSA has become - they should just change the name to EVOLVE already, as without Saito this weekend's shows are entirely the EVOLVE roster + CIMA.

Saw that, which basically guarantees that I'm skipping the show. Too bad; I like going to shows with friends, but the card is just too lackluster. For Christ's sake, it's Wednesday, and they only have 5 matches announced.

mouserat

Neo Member
True based on what? You clearly astonishing intuition? The same intuition that calls the NXT crowd smarks who only get off on indie guys and don't understand humour when non-indie guys like Enzo, Breeze, Emma, and even Santino are over on NXT because they're funny? Calm down mark and think before you write another essay.

true based on anecdotal evidence from watching WWE for so long? maybe my 'essay' of three small paragraphs was too hard to follow because you seem to have totally missed the point but keep on trolling bbz.

of course woman's wrestling could get over, but it won't because changing the script constitutes too much of a risk to the WWE and that's why they won't do it.

UWFi - KAZUO YAMAZAKI vs SUPER VADER - 1993

iBrhOS5MsTGlG.gif

more shoot-style action with Vader. this and his stuff with Sting is my favourite work of his, great stuff. sunglasses promo, oh yeah. Vader was WCW champ at the time.

iba1OnHae2ukwd.gif

both man circling, Kazuo throwing low kicks. shoots for a takedown but is easily stuffed by Vader. action resumes as Kazou throws a mid kick but Vader easily catches it and throws the japanese warrior away. this is gonna be a uphill battle.

iHQT2PBVn7IsV.gif

Vader gets a jab in, Kazuo retreats. Kazou back on the attack but vader with excellent defence so far. almost a nut shot by Kazuo. more kicks. oh boy, Vader got a hold of the leg again. WOW! i don't even know the name this counter slam but it looked awesome. huge difference in power being displayed here.

ibw9LAIMlVRGHu.gif

Kazou insists on leg strikes and pays for it. huge clothesline by Vader. grabs Kazou and sends him into the corner. stiff strikes. body shots, forearm smashes. Kazuo fades away and goes to the ground. 10 count that Kazou answers with some difficulty. Vader tries to corner him again but Kazou escapes and gets the back clinch. tries to slam Vader but the big man is too heavy, switches to kick. OOOOH!!! Vader is hurt. series of stiff kicks, Vader is wobbly, crowd going crazy!! Vader goes down! Kazuo locks in a standing kneebar.

iwowV81FSZZMq.gif

Vader is getting kicked on the ground. ref steps in and does a 10 count. Vader is up, struggling. Kazuo ain't letting him go, running rolling thunder!!

iVJWpz1bQi7mK.gif

Vader ended up under the ropes. ref calls him back, Vader is up running. Kazuo is fired up!! more kicks to the mid section! high kick and big punch!! SHIT, they fell off the ring over the top rope! crowd is going apeshit, what a crazy match.

ibwAiwsVnyK4P9.gif

both men are inside the ring again. Kazou is going nuts, mroe kicks. DAMN, lands a couple of shots right in the kisser of Vader.

ib1Z2eyU1U5nwi.gif

big man composes himself and lands a clothesline. 10 count but Kazou is up. now it's Vader's turn to go crazy. big punches, goes for a german suplex but Kazou fights back. switch to a sleeper hold. but Kazou is a warrior, reverses position and locks in an armbar.

iboiCsfbWjpY7D.gif

Vader escapes and is back on top. hard shots send Kazou down for another count. he springs back up. Vader moves in a BAM, huge chokelsam. this is it!!! Kazou gets counted to 10 and your winner is Vader. another fun little match, all of Yamazaki's matches are nuts with awesome spots.

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/straight-shooters-with-lambda-piscium

Watched Hero vs Adam Cole, excellent match - Hero's strikes are amazing, loved this little spot;

iA7MpYPMDbW9I.gif

Someone, book this dude in Japan.

Saw that, which basically guarantees that I'm skipping the show. Too bad; I like going to shows with friends, but the card is just too lackluster. For Christ's sake, it's Wednesday, and they only have 5 matches announced.

Yeah, this really irritates me - is it so hard to release a complete card in advance? Or announce a match every week until the week of the show?

mechashiva said:
Yeah, it's been a bummer to see it dwindle. Rising airfare really hurt them. I wish they'd make it maybe a twice a year thing and spring for more guys again. Hope they do better at mania and Tozawa better be there.

I'd like that - do a couple of big doubleshots a year under the DGUSA banner, the rest of the time concentrate in EVOLVE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
BTW Lambda - this may come as a surprise, but legitshook.com metrics show your content is getting the a huge share of hits. There's a niche out there that LOVES your work - pretty awesome.

BTW Lambda - this may come as a surprise, but legitshook.com metrics show your content is getting the a huge share of hits. There's a niche out there that LOVES your work - pretty awesome.

slap a google ad there and we share the money, 80-20.

i like how the Jerry Flynn match from PWFG got a like. thanks anonymous Jerry Flynn fan. i gotta review his first match with Goldberg one of these days.

I got into wrestling too late to see King Mabel in his prime or even really Viscera in the Ministry, so unfortunately I'm mostly familiar with "World's Largest Love Machine" Big Daddy V. Still, way too young. RIP

true based on anecdotal evidence from watching WWE for so long? maybe my 'essay' of three small paragraphs was too hard to follow because you seem to have totally missed the point but keep on trolling bbz.

You do realise you opened up by calling people marks, right? I'm sorry for responding to it and the rest of your poorly thought through post in a similar etiquette.

of course woman's wrestling could get over, but it won't because changing the script constitutes too much of a risk to the WWE and that's why they won't do it.

Like with AJ? I think the scripts clearly going to change when it comes to womens wrestling in the WWE given the time they're devoting to it on NXT and the success that it's garnering. Most people are just disappointed that it didn't start when Emma came up because there's literally no reason she couldn't get over with her current NXT gimmick.

holy shit I totally forgot that he was. What a great flick. Reminded me of one of those classic Van Dam movies
Funniest thing about that flick is that the poster makes you think Batista is the main star while RVD plays his silly comic relief sidekick or something.

The movie also featured that jobber, Ja Rule.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Funniest thing about that flick is that the poster makes you think Batista is the main star while RVD plays his silly comic relief sidekick or something.

The movie also featured that jobber, Ja Rule.

And Batista took care of him in the best way.

388080_o.gif

Sephzilla

And Batista took care of him in the best way.

gif

Sweet fucking jesus I see awful in that clip. Both from Batisa obviously pulling the gun away from the guys head to simulate the recoil, and then when they cut to the next shot is arm is fully extended again.

WHY MUST I NOTICE DETAILS.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet fucking jesus I see awful in that clip. Both from Batisa obviously pulling the gun away from the guys head to simulate the recoil, and then when they cut to the next shot is arm is fully extended again.

WHY MUST I NOTICE DETAILS.

You'll have a lot of fun if you watch the movie. That's the tip of the iceberg. Batista is legitimately the best part of that movie.

Striker

On a final note saying people won't watch female wrestlers wrestle doesn't make much sense when it hasn't been allowed to happen since Mickie/Trish.
Trish and Mickie PPV matches:

New Year's Revolution: 7:18
Wrestlemania 8:48
Backlash: 4:03

Just go through the past PPV's and look at times; for instance, McCool/Mickie 7:31, Maryse/Mickie 8:36, Melina/McCool 6:36. This was in 2008-09. And they had Mickie, Melina, Beth, Natalya, Gail Kim, Victoria, and McCool. I'd say it's better than what they have in there today. Nothing has changed since the Trish/Mickie days except there's really no captivating stories or gimmicks. The AJ/Total Diva's stuff has been awful and that's been the most noteworthy story they've had in years. If anything, you can keep the 4-7 min. matches but if they properly booked the angles right, it would be more entertaining. But looking at what they do to the males like Sandow, Ziggler, Barrett, and so forth, you can see why booking is such an issue for them.

Sephzilla

You'll have a lot of fun if you watch the movie. That's the tip of the iceberg. Batista is legitimately the best part of that movie.

Is it one of those so bad it's good movies?

What wrestler has had the best set of movies outside of the ring discounting the Rock?

Batista's right up there sadly. Hulk may beat everyone numbers wise but they all suck besides Rocky and maybe No Holds Barred.

Roddy Piper was the star of They Live, and that movie will most likely live on as a cult classic longer than any of Batista, Austin, or Hogan's movies will.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is it one of those so bad it's good movies?

It's a fun watch. Sometimes it is so bad it's good, other times it's legitimately entertaining.

What wrestler has had the best set of movies outside of the ring discounting the Rock?

Batista's right up there sadly. Hulk may beat everyone numbers wise but they all suck besides Rocky and maybe No Holds Barred.

Hulk's movies, man, there a lot of REAL BAD shit out there. Santa with Muscles, Mr. Nanny...

Rock has his fair share of shit-ass movies too. Tooth Fairy? Fuck that.

Piper has a decent set of movies, but some bad ones, same with Goldberg...except all Goldberg's were bad. His best movie he was in was Universal Soldier: The Return or whatever that shit was called.

Gotta be Batista with a promising film career ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom